Message Boards

Topic : 06/23 Alter Egos

Number of Replies: 257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:11:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/26/08) Do you know someone whose private persona is dramatically different from the face he or she shows to the world? Dr. Phil’s guests say their mates lead a double life, and it's wreaking havoc on their relationships. Kerrylee found love online with a man named Al and thought he was a pilot fighting overseas in the war. After 32 months of cyber courtship, she’s now engaged to this man she’s never met. Kerrylee started having doubts that Al was as young as he stated in his profile. Is her Prince Charming really a toad in disguise? Dr. Phil puts private investigator Harold Copus on the case to find out. You won’t believe what he digs up! Then, Dean says his wife, Deb, has a split personality. For the past three years, she has pretended to be a hip 35-year-old with no kids, but she’s actually a 52-year-old grandmother with three adult children! Deb says this alter ego gives her clout to manage rock bands, but is she simply afraid of growing old? Tell us what you think.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 26, 2008, 12:44 pm CST

02/26 Alter Egos

Hi Kerrylee, wow, Al is really missing out , HE is the FOOL, you are a very articulate, attractive and well spoken woman ,he loses,  on the other hand , 45 y/o Male in Upstate N.Y. , self employed as a Handyman and a Volunteer Firefighter , doesn't need any of your money and would love to meet someone like you.......Too bad he has wasted 3 yrs. of your life, best wishes moving on and never making the same chioce, I wish you healing that keeps your heart in linewith falling in love again, IN PERSON!!! 

Namaste'

Roy

February 26, 2008, 12:45 pm CST

Rules of Engagement

Sorry haven't seen today's show yet, I'm on the W Coast so we're the last ones to see.  Anyway I just have a quick unrelated question--does anyone know when the finale show is (see subj line)?  I have to go back to work next week, and want to be sure I don't miss it.  Thanks, in advance.

February 26, 2008, 12:48 pm CST

wish i met her first

wish i was the one that met her first she would be on cloud nine. but really Kerrylee you have to be cautious on line and don't believe everything you read or see when you meet in person.

February 26, 2008, 1:08 pm CST

well thank heavens...........

Quote From: hmgrandmom

I watched the alter ego show today. And was very sad to see Deb the grandma trying to be 35 to be around and manage rock bands. I am 55 years young love Heavy Metal Music and have managed a rock band.

Never lied about my age though. The people I hang around with are younger and have NO problem with my age. My son who is 35 loves the fact that him and I love the same kind of music. I see no reason to lie about how old you are or hide the fact that I have grandchildren that like the same music. My grandson who is 12 years old thinks his grandma is COOL cause she likes Linkin Park. And I really do, it is not a put on to fit in.

Yes I dye my hair and keep up my looks but, I don't dress like a teenie-weenie either. I dress like a mature lady, that's all hip. I feel there is nothing wrong with looking and feeling young, just don't need to pretend

I am something I am not.

I hope Deb finds out she can be "Sweet" without all the fakeness and hiding who she really is. She is heathly and has a wonderful husband and family. Who knows her grandchildren may grow up to think grandma is "Sweet" too.

My 2 cents thanks

I thought maybe it was just me but all that stuff about "I don't want them to see me as this Grandma & then they'll start treating me different.  I don't want them changing the way the talk around meor to me."?

She must be a REAL young grandma because "rock bands" are not JUST from this generation anyway & so how is it even if she's 55 yrs. old and a grandmother she wouldn't understand the Rock business?  Anyone who's over say 45 yrs. old would know this.  it was people now in their 60's & younger who INVENTED sex, drugs & Rock & Roll.Why would one of them suddenly "not understand" the business? 

And I agree there's nothing wrong with looking and feeling young.  That can be managed without showing things a *mature woman* shouldn't.  I mean I wouldn't want to try what Cher use to.  LOL  But there's nothing wrong with being stylish & keeping oneself fit & well groomed etc.    I think that's a lot more acceptable than running around one's house & taking away all of the family pictures. 

February 26, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

just want to know

JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE PEOPLE ON LINE.SO MANY PEOPLE HIDE BEHIND THE COMPUTER.I WENT OUT WITH A GUY THAT I MET ON LINE ON A DATING SITE THAT TOLD ME HE WAS 53.WHEN I SEEN HIM HE COULD HARDLY WALK LET A LONE DO ANYTHING ELSE.I FOUND OUT HE WAS 83 YEARS OLD.WHY PEOPLE HAVE TO LIE AND HIDE BEHIND A COMPUTER IS BEYOND ME.I TELL THE TRUTH AND SOMEONE SAID TO ME WHY DO YOU TELL THE TRUTH.I SAID BECAUSE IF THEY CAN'T ACCEPT ME FOR WHO I AM THEN THEY DON'T NEED TO CALL ME DO THEY.AND THE LADY THAT SAID SHE WAS 35 AND SHES 52 WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING.WHY ARE YOU SOO AFRAID TO TELL THE TRUTH.MY GOD ACT YOUR AGE.IM PROUD TO BE 52 AND I HAVE A GRANDSON WHO IS 5 YEARS OLD NOW AND I LOVE BEING A GRANDMOTHER AND I WOULD'NT HIDE IT FOR THE WORLD .AND THEY OTHER LADY WHO GAVE THAT PIOLT OR I SHOULD SAY SO CALLED PIOT MONEY I THINK YOU DESERVED EVERYTHING YOU GOT.IF YOUR THAT STUIP TO GIVE SOMEONE MONEY THAT YOU DONT EVEN KNOW.THEN YOU DESERVE IT.YOU HAVE TO BE VERY VERY CAREFUL ON THE INTERNET AND EVEN WHO YOU TALK TO.THERES ENOUGH WARNINGS OUT THERE.MY GOD GET A LIFE.

CUDDLES05

February 26, 2008, 1:17 pm CST

.....they are not all bad....

I know everyone thinks they everyone on the internet lies...and I have to agree that MOST are up to no good.. however, after dating so many "liars, cheaters, married men, that told me they were single", I didn't give up hope.  Instead I came up with an idea to help EVERYONE that is online dating a created a website.   I still believed in on-line dating and after learning from my many mistakes, I finally found "the one".  We have been married for over 3 years and have a child together.   It was allllllll  worth it.  

Just remember to be careful online.....go with instincts and if you need help, look for it online, we are out there to help you get answers about your spouse.

February 26, 2008, 1:18 pm CST

Don't think she "asked" to be scammed here

Quote From: vintagecrazy53

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! She has as much a problem as he does. JUST LET IT GO
She asked to be scammed.
 I have done a LOT of reading on sociopaths, Narcissists, and "scam artitsts".   I am a single mom that got ripped off twice in a big way.   Not romantically involved with either.

While it is  true, scam artists can find certain personality traits in a person, one in a room of a thousand, they will find the one...the traits are largely admirable...generous, honest, open, loving, but also passive, often an abuse survivor, trouble with boundaries.

She may have some of those traits, who knows.  What I do know is that ALSO professionals do not like to work with these types of people, the scammers, because even knowing what they are, they are still susceptible.

There is a reason they are called "artists".   I also like the term "Trust Bandit"

Beyond being scammed, what hurts is people judging me for falling for these people.    What's funny is the people that judged me the most with the one were also duped and were mad at me for exposing him.  Crazy world.

But, maybe, please, can we stop judging and start observing and learning?

February 26, 2008, 1:18 pm CST

JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU

Quote From: flthomcat

How foolish we people are!  We must really not like ourselves or respect ourselves very much if we have to pretend to be someone we're not.

Confident people are open, honest people. They don't care what people think of them because they try to be the best that they can be. I know not everyone will like me (I'm sometimes too loud and don't use enough tact), but I try to always be honest and giving and do for others the way I would like others to do for (AKA treat) me.

People need to look in he mirror and ask themselves if they like what they see and if Jesus would be proud of their inner reflection. If the answer is no, they know they need to get to work to change things.

Con arts, pretenders and liars are simply insecure, unhappy, immature people.

And anyone who marries someone they do not know PERSONALLY and WELL is a fool. Sorry, but today's climate is just too dangerous (physically and emotionally) to be so trusting. Marriage and comittment are supposed to last a lifetime (with God), so take the time to REALLY get to know the person you plan to marry. Be best friends FIRST. Then marry.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU AND WHAT YOU SAID.TOO MANY PEOPLE HIDE BEHIND A COMPUTER AND I THINK YOUR RIGHT

CUDDLES05

February 26, 2008, 1:20 pm CST

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed most of this show except for the last guest. I can't believe she would treat her family like this over taking care of ROCKERS???  Has anybody asked her family how they feel? We know how her husband feels. Sorry, but if I had to treat my family like that because of a buck, then I would find another job!!  Thats why I agree with her husband that shes doing this for her own selfish reasons because shes feeling OLD!!  And I agree with Dr Phil, that she looks OLDER then 35?? Maybe these rockers are HIGH and not seeing straight. GET ANOTHER JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's not worth HURTING your familys feelings over ROCKERS that some day won't REMEMBER who you are or were!!!!   I think your family will always remember you. Unless someday they end up getting fed up with being treated like they don't exist, and decide to treat you the same way. Because thats whats going to happen. THE APPLE DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   REMEMBER THAT!!!    I believe your going to be alone someday and wonder why. THIS IS WHY!!!

February 26, 2008, 1:21 pm CST

WHAT

Quote From: yiasku

Dear Dr. Phil,

I'm a bit surprised that you suggested Kerrylee, from your Alter Egos episode, just accept the loss of her $5,500.  Why not take the lead from the wealth of "Judge Shows" out there and have her take him to small claims court?  Every Judge show I've seen Awards the victim their money back when they have e-mail & text message proof that the offender has offered to pay their money back!  Why should he be allowed to get away with "Cyber Robbery"... what will keep him from doing this again to someone else?  After all if he can get away with it this time virtually unscathed, then why wouldn't he, or for that matter someone else out there like him watching your show, not try it again?

Her heart and trust will have to heal on their own, but a Judge can correct the financial loss, especially since she's got everything she needs to prove her case like e-mails, text messages, his correct name and address, etc, etc.

Thanks for listening,

K

I THINK IF SHE WAS STUIP ENOUGH TO GIVE SOMEONE MONEY THAT SHE DID'NT EVEN KNOW SHE DESERVES WHAT SHE GOT.WHY WOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GIVE SOMEONE MONEY THAT THEY DID'NT KNOW.SO MANY PEOPLE DONT THINK BEFORE THEY DO.THEY JUST DO IT.

CUDDLES05

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last