Message Boards

Topic : 06/23 Alter Egos

Number of Replies: 257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:11:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/26/08) Do you know someone whose private persona is dramatically different from the face he or she shows to the world? Dr. Phil’s guests say their mates lead a double life, and it's wreaking havoc on their relationships. Kerrylee found love online with a man named Al and thought he was a pilot fighting overseas in the war. After 32 months of cyber courtship, she’s now engaged to this man she’s never met. Kerrylee started having doubts that Al was as young as he stated in his profile. Is her Prince Charming really a toad in disguise? Dr. Phil puts private investigator Harold Copus on the case to find out. You won’t believe what he digs up! Then, Dean says his wife, Deb, has a split personality. For the past three years, she has pretended to be a hip 35-year-old with no kids, but she’s actually a 52-year-old grandmother with three adult children! Deb says this alter ego gives her clout to manage rock bands, but is she simply afraid of growing old? Tell us what you think.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 23, 2008, 8:11 am CST

Looking for love in all the wrong places

I must be a different type of person than the two guests on the show.  They live in a fantasy world, untroubled by reality.  They aren't liars; they are pretenders. They want to find love and happiness in a make believe world.

When I am on-line, I do not have an agenda.  I don't want things from other people.  I certainly won't lie or delude myself.  I am not that kind of "friend," 

February 23, 2008, 10:58 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Alter Doctor Egos Phil. What does that mean anyway? I donot understand that.. See you on Tuesday Feb---

urary 26th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 23, 2008, 2:57 pm CST

Alter Egos

I have not seen this show yet, but that is dumb, dumb, dumb to have a cyber relationship for so long.   Everyone knows, or should know by now, that everyone LIES on the internet.   You are not face to face with someone, and you can be anyone you want to be.   You cannot even trust a picture that someone sends you as that could be fake too.

The bottom line is you must use COMMON SENSE.    Email for a while, then talk on the phone, then make plans to meet in a NEUTRAL spot midway between where the 2 people live.   Sadly, people are not what they seem.    And after all that, realize that it STILL takes a long time to get to know someone and you must observe them in many situations and see how they treat the world and see how the world treats them.

Lindy Lou

February 23, 2008, 3:09 pm CST

Kerrylee

It seems to me that there is enough information out there for women (or men) not to fall for these scams. I am continually surprised at how gullible people can be.  Wake up before you make the biggest mistake of your life.

February 23, 2008, 4:58 pm CST

02/26 Alter Egos

Quote From: lindylou3

I have not seen this show yet, but that is dumb, dumb, dumb to have a cyber relationship for so long.   Everyone knows, or should know by now, that everyone LIES on the internet.   You are not face to face with someone, and you can be anyone you want to be.   You cannot even trust a picture that someone sends you as that could be fake too.

The bottom line is you must use COMMON SENSE.    Email for a while, then talk on the phone, then make plans to meet in a NEUTRAL spot midway between where the 2 people live.   Sadly, people are not what they seem.    And after all that, realize that it STILL takes a long time to get to know someone and you must observe them in many situations and see how they treat the world and see how the world treats them.

Lindy Lou

I'm having a hard time believing people are still so naive, I really am, with all the warnings we have been given......
I could be blonde with double D's, prove I'm NOT.
I could be a Doctor or Lawyer, again PROVE I'm NOT, I can find things to back me up if I chose to.
I can say any number of things, and yet there is no way to prove whether or not I'm LYING because we are not face to face, and I can pull up a pic of a blonde woman with double D's to use as my display, dosen't mean that's me, could be just a cyber persona.
Should make people think, shouldn't it ?

February 24, 2008, 3:07 am CST

02/26 Alter Egos

Hey everyone,

This is really creepy... Well, I think I need everyone's advice on this...

I've been playing an online game for about 3 years and I have lots of friends there...

I accepted giving my email to one of them whom I've always trusted... (We used to be boyfriend/girlfriend like 2 years ago but now we're just friends, and he has been on my Facebook list for about 4 months.)

I added him to my Facebook list and saw many pics of him and he saw some pics of myself as well...

I mean, he seems a fine person and he never did or said anything to hurt me... I just think he is trustworthy, but all of these stories about the net makes me sick.... :s

So, what should I do? Should I just remove him or not?

Share your opinion frankly, please!

February 24, 2008, 5:14 am CST

02/26 Alter Egos

I have seen surveys where a large percentage of people admit that they lie about thier profile when online. I'm sure people have always lied about themselves, but I guess it easier when you are hidden away somewhere typing away on the computer. Being older, it's difficult for me to understand how someone can meet online,fall in love, and even plan to marry, without ever having met in person. I realize it happens all of the time. I would be afraid to attempt it myself. We see stories all of the time about how these online relationships tend to not work out sometimes. As for the 50 something pretending to be 32, well, there must be more to the story. I'm 53 and I could pretend to be 32 as long as no one ever saw me in person. The thing is, I have no desire to pretend to be 32.

February 24, 2008, 8:01 am CST

02/26 Alter Egos

Quote From: shadycat1

I'm having a hard time believing people are still so naive, I really am, with all the warnings we have been given......
I could be blonde with double D's, prove I'm NOT.
I could be a Doctor or Lawyer, again PROVE I'm NOT, I can find things to back me up if I chose to.
I can say any number of things, and yet there is no way to prove whether or not I'm LYING because we are not face to face, and I can pull up a pic of a blonde woman with double D's to use as my display, dosen't mean that's me, could be just a cyber persona.
Should make people think, shouldn't it ?

Why the fixation on being a blond with double D's?  It isn't so great.  I understand why you say you could post things to suggest that you are a doctor or lawyer.  Perhaps that is very common on-line.  Several people here on this board have done that to make their opinions seem important.

Do you take what people say here seriously?  

February 24, 2008, 5:12 pm CST

getting engaged online...

If you take message boards and myspace seriously, you might as well take Wikipedia seriously.  Some people with multiple accounts go on and have little conversations/soap operas with themselves and others just to mess with other people. 

To the woman who got engaged online, what were you thinking when you committed to buy the merchandise sight unseen?  What if he was some serial killer looking for his next victim?  If he's lying to you, why bother with his a** ?  Life's too short for that crap.

February 25, 2008, 3:01 am CST

02/26 Alter Egos

Quote From: derevna33

Why the fixation on being a blond with double D's?  It isn't so great.  I understand why you say you could post things to suggest that you are a doctor or lawyer.  Perhaps that is very common on-line.  Several people here on this board have done that to make their opinions seem important.

Do you take what people say here seriously?  

my point was, like everyone else I could be ANYTHING I chose to be, and back it up if need be.
As for the fixation (not really again just trying to make a point here) sounds a lot more exciting than being a brunette housewife (if I were trying to find someone online, I'm not) mother of three, problem is we ever met the reality would be lets say quite different and probably disappointing.
Do I take it seriously, sometimes yes sometimes no, I think it depends on the topic, some topics are quite serious and shouldn't be taken lightly, and IF someone were lying about say being abused well that's not cool at all, but then what choice do you have but to take it at face value .
Is it lying, well let's be honest , my real name isn't Shadycat, technically a lie, but then common sense as well and most of us don't put personal info here (even on this site which is fairly safe, as safe as any I guess).
Sorry no offense intended, just trying to make the point that we have to be careful, that some will exagerate or BLATANTLY LIE to make themselves seem more appealing to others, and being in another place behind a computer monitor makes it easy to do.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last