Message Boards

Topic : 02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Number of Replies: 130
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:14:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Little girls often dream of becoming Miss America, but sometimes these dreams don't end when they become adults. Dr. Phil's guests are mothers and wives who have an insatiable taste for the tiara. Angela has competed in five pageants and doesn't want to stop until she wins the big one. Her husband is sick and tired of the biz and says his wife is so obsessed with it, she wouldn't even let signs of a heart attack stop her from taking the stage! Angela says she only competes to support her charity, but her husband is not convinced. Then, Karen is a mother and wife who admits she is obsessed with winning and has competed in over 20 pageants. She's even skipped making two mortgage payments so she would have money for a pageant gown. And, Christi appeared on Dr. Phil a few years ago and was determined to become famous as an actress. She has now turned her acting dream into pageant pursuits. Christi is eight months pregnant with her seventh child, and her husband wants to know if he's being selfish by asking her to hang up her pageant heels to focus on the family. Plus, other queens get a chance to ask Dr. Phil their questions. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 1, 2008, 7:49 pm CST

Robin's Reaction

Watching the lady near the end of the show, who had brought a crown and sash for Robin, really made me wonder. Has this lady NEVER seen the Dr. Phil show, never listened to Robin and formed an opinion on the type of woman Robin is? If you have seen the show at all, you should realize that Robin is a combination of grace, intelligence, style and YES, beauty. Most of all though, a loving heart shines through.

It was obvious that "pageant woman" was so interested in her own point of view, she didn't even "get" Robin. By the time the woman sat down, she looked like a complete fool!  She should be ashamed of herself for making Robin so uncomfortable, she looked like she wanted to bolt from the studio.  Not to be unfair to all contestants, I'm sure it's possible that some are not completely obsessed with this. But for those highlighted on the show, it did seem to be an obsession. Highlighted by the fact that anyone would be so wrapped up in getting the crown and sash, it was beyond her comprehension that Robin, and perhaps the rest of the world, wouldn't be overwhelmed in gratitude for her presentation.  Folks, if Robin wanted a crown she could get one any day. Thankfully she has chosen more meaningful contributions for her own life.

March 2, 2008, 4:38 am CST

SNOTTY NOSE

As I watched this show and I kept watching Christie, I could swear she had snot running down her nose the whole time Dr. Phil was interviewing her.  Was I the only one who saw this?  I kept saying to myself, "please blow your nose".  As for all of these women, they're completely focused on themselves.  It's time for them to grow up.  They're husbands need to grow a backbone and put a stop to this nonsense.  It's obvious they're completely self centered.  To miss 2 mortgage payments is outrageous.  To have 6 kids and pregnant with the 7th is ridiculous.  Who ever heard of a pregnant lady in a pagent?  The pagents are nothing but a money racket.  Use that money for mortgage and food people.

March 4, 2008, 8:10 am CST

SUCH NEGATIVITY

Quote From: devil_girl

OMG, I just realized you were the one from the show...here you are sitting at home still so worried about what people think of you that you're patrolling the message boards picking up any little crumb of attention that we'll throw at ya.

Well, since you asked what my mother taught me I'll tell you...she taught me that if beauty is all you've got, keep your mouth shut, use your brains for speaking 

she taught me that money in the bank keeps a roof over your head, food in your belly and clothes on your back

She taught me that if you have to choose between rent and shoes they better be pretty big shoes 'cause you're gonna have to live in them

And she taught me if you don't want to be judged then don't enter the pageant....you entered this pageant when you went on the show and I have every right to say what I think .

I feel sorry for you as well, it's a shame your mother didn't teach you any of these lessons.  Hopefully someone will teach your children some of these so they don't miss mortgage payments for any reason (I know I never have...thanks Mom)

Wow...with all those great lessons your mother taught you...it's too bad she did not teach you the one about treating other people with respect and not being judgmental!  But then again...maybe she did teach you those lessons as well and you just slept through them!!!!

By the way...I don't give a crap about what you think of me and I did NOT ask you what lessons your mother taught you.  If you read my prior post, I asked you if she specifically taught you one thing.  I sure did not ask for a list of "the great lessons" she shared with you!!!!

March 6, 2008, 1:02 am CST

Hee-hee!

Quote From: devil_girl

OMG, I just realized you were the one from the show...here you are sitting at home still so worried about what people think of you that you're patrolling the message boards picking up any little crumb of attention that we'll throw at ya.

Well, since you asked what my mother taught me I'll tell you...she taught me that if beauty is all you've got, keep your mouth shut, use your brains for speaking 

she taught me that money in the bank keeps a roof over your head, food in your belly and clothes on your back

She taught me that if you have to choose between rent and shoes they better be pretty big shoes 'cause you're gonna have to live in them

And she taught me if you don't want to be judged then don't enter the pageant....you entered this pageant when you went on the show and I have every right to say what I think .

I feel sorry for you as well, it's a shame your mother didn't teach you any of these lessons.  Hopefully someone will teach your children some of these so they don't miss mortgage payments for any reason (I know I never have...thanks Mom)

You are so right--she couldn't resist checking out what people thought of her!

And I think someone *else* from the show gave in to the same urge. Right, "dashgoals"?

March 6, 2008, 3:45 pm CST

Does Christi have a runny nose?!

Is it just me or do y'all see a wet spot just under her eyes and then around her nose?  It looks like she's crying or has a runny nose?

Lord, that woman is gorgeous and I say, "Go girl!"  Normally, with seven kids....I wouldn't.  But consider that moms work all day and then go home to very little time with their kids compared to the small amount of time Christi spends away.  I mean, come on now.

If I looked like her, I'd be in pageants, too!!!  (But put some powder on that shine, girl).

March 8, 2008, 7:12 pm CST

This is a con

I have nothing against pageants or beauty contests per se; what I object to is that ordinarily sensible women are being conned out of quite a bit of money. Apparently anyone can organize a pageant (which is paid for by the entrants' fees), choose an empty title which only exists because they "registered" it, and worst of all, everyone who shows up gets a crown and sash. So what have you won? Nothing. You just spent a lot of money to get something that you only had to show up to get. How utterly worthless. Do a tiara search on Ebay and you will see hundreds of these worthless things up for next to nothing. Purchasing that would mean as much as being handed a crown and sash for walking in the door. This is just a huge racket being pulled on gullible women and it's a shame. If that's what you want to spend your money on, then you have to bear the burden of that, but you should do it for something real that matters.

March 10, 2008, 6:26 pm CDT

Yes...negativity is the right word

Quote From: auggie1965

Wow...with all those great lessons your mother taught you...it's too bad she did not teach you the one about treating other people with respect and not being judgmental!  But then again...maybe she did teach you those lessons as well and you just slept through them!!!!

By the way...I don't give a crap about what you think of me and I did NOT ask you what lessons your mother taught you.  If you read my prior post, I asked you if she specifically taught you one thing.  I sure did not ask for a list of "the great lessons" she shared with you!!!!

Actually MY post was filled with positive advice and comments but you may not be in a place in your life where you can take good advice right now.

I'm sure after some counselling you'll learn to like yourself enough and not be so blinded and judgmental that you can accept the teachings that others have to offer

Good luck with that

March 10, 2008, 6:29 pm CDT

how insecure can they get???

Quote From: bartok

You are so right--she couldn't resist checking out what people thought of her!

And I think someone *else* from the show gave in to the same urge. Right, "dashgoals"?
Too funny... think you are right on the money with that one.    They're both at home right now trying to justify every little comment, make it seem like they're just a victim and come out with a fake smile...cracks me up!!!!!   :)

May 9, 2008, 4:13 am CDT

02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Quote From: juliebgg

This is ridiculous!  There is a huge difference between someone who can afford it like Dr. Phil  spending discretionary income  on hobbies, and a selfish woman who would miss TWO mortgage payments to waste money on a pageant dress that she is going to wear once. How could you say she isn't hurting anyone when she is engaging in irresponsible behavior?  Housing is a need, as is food, clothing (excluding pageant costumes), insurance etc., and to put a hobby above essential needs is very immature and irresponsible.

And just to satisfy my curiosity because you mention this in more than one post...why the strong aversion to golf?  The way I see it (and I do not play golf), playing golf takes skill and coordination,  and if I were to choose between that and pageants, guess which I would pick?

You obviously didn't watch that entire show.  There were TWO guests on. Not everyone in those pagents is skipping mortgage payments.  I can accept that YOUR opinion about people who waste hours of their life and their money playing golf is different from mine, but my point was that it isn't up to YOU to be the judge and jury of what is right and wrong as far as wasting that time and money.  And why you feel I should have to justify to you what I like or don't like about golf is the baffling and interesting question.

May 13, 2008, 3:34 am CDT

to mimiskb

Quote From: mimiskb

You obviously didn't watch that entire show.  There were TWO guests on. Not everyone in those pagents is skipping mortgage payments.  I can accept that YOUR opinion about people who waste hours of their life and their money playing golf is different from mine, but my point was that it isn't up to YOU to be the judge and jury of what is right and wrong as far as wasting that time and money.  And why you feel I should have to justify to you what I like or don't like about golf is the baffling and interesting question.

Mimiskb, I merely asked out of curiosity why you kept bringing up golf.  i have absolutely no interest in it myself by the way. I find it very interesting that you get so defensive just because I asked you a question.  No one said you have to justify anything.  But you may want to figure out why you get so bothered when someone merely asked you a question.

And, as far as mortgage payments go, there was in fact a guest on who skipped them in order to use the money to primp herself up and buy clothing for pageants.  And yes, I will continue to express MY opinion on someone who is irresponsible enough to forego mortgage payments, and put her family's well-being in jeopardy in order to fullfill a shallow  and selfish wish.

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next Page | Last Page