Message Boards

Topic : 02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Number of Replies: 130
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:14:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Little girls often dream of becoming Miss America, but sometimes these dreams don't end when they become adults. Dr. Phil's guests are mothers and wives who have an insatiable taste for the tiara. Angela has competed in five pageants and doesn't want to stop until she wins the big one. Her husband is sick and tired of the biz and says his wife is so obsessed with it, she wouldn't even let signs of a heart attack stop her from taking the stage! Angela says she only competes to support her charity, but her husband is not convinced. Then, Karen is a mother and wife who admits she is obsessed with winning and has competed in over 20 pageants. She's even skipped making two mortgage payments so she would have money for a pageant gown. And, Christi appeared on Dr. Phil a few years ago and was determined to become famous as an actress. She has now turned her acting dream into pageant pursuits. Christi is eight months pregnant with her seventh child, and her husband wants to know if he's being selfish by asking her to hang up her pageant heels to focus on the family. Plus, other queens get a chance to ask Dr. Phil their questions. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 28, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

the need to be crowned

I just don't understand the fascination with pagents.  It's  asking for outside validation in order to feel good about who you are?  Sounds to me as if there is a self-esteem issue.

February 28, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

The Gift they had made for Robin...

As long as they are not missing payments and taking care of thier kids who are they hurting...their self esteem is probably needing a boost but hey...and the sash made for Robin...I know she may not agree with the idea of pagents, to each his own but she could have taken it.  It was made for her as a gift! Put it up have a laugh whatever but please don't be rude!

Sincerely! :)

February 28, 2008, 1:09 pm CST

02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Quote From: devil_girl

These women are frightening. They look, talk, act and dress like over-the-hill dolls. I though Dr Phil made a v. good point when one said she just does this or charity and he showed that if she just donated all the money she put into this ridiculous crap she would be living a lot MORE to charity.

She doesn't do this for charity she does this for attention. How sad she is so insecure she has have a sparkly crown and have little catfights with other contestants in order to feel superiour. I'm so thankful that I already feel secure, fabulous and wonderful andI don't have to lose all my money and self-respect just for some attention.

I think people that live beyond their means are missing some common sense and when they drag their families into the gutter with them they are being selfish.

The mother that would rather spend money and time on her pageants than her children should never have had any! I'm surprised she didn't pop out limited edition Barbie's instead of kids (that probably would have made her happier)

You know very little about any of the women that were on this show.  You have only been shown what the Dr. Phil show wants you to see.  I compete in only one pageant a year and would not rather spend money on them instead of my children.  I spend lots of money on my children and am quite thankful that they are not 'limited edition Barbie's' and are instead very healthy, happy children.  Didn't your mother ever tell you 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?'  You are the one that I feel sorry for!  You don't know me as a person so please don't ever say that I should never have had any children.  I spend three to five days away from them per year.  That does not make me a bad mother.  There were other financial issues going on at the time of my last pageant and the reason for skipped mortgage payments was NOT all because of a pageant. 

February 28, 2008, 1:10 pm CST

Dr Phil you dropped the ball!

Dr Phil -- you dropped the ball with this show. What these women are doing is trying to find STATUS, no matter how silly. It's not so much about beauty - although they are trying to achieve status through beauty. And it's not about balance -- it's about trying to be valuable and being a little above everyone else. The Oklahoma mom of 7 who said she didn't want to be a fumpy housewife is trying to use these beauty pageants as a way to define herself as someone who is valuable. If you focused more on trying to get these women to pursue something that will give them social status -- like that first woman who is lying to her husband about her pageant costs (watch out for that marriage) saying that she cares about charity, why doesn't she then get directly involved with the charity? I am sure her husband would be more supportive and her marriage would stand a chance. It's sad that so many women think competing over beauty or body type is the way to achieve status in our society. Dr Phil - you had a great opportunity to address these issues, and instead all you said was "balance." I doubt any of these women heard you.

February 28, 2008, 1:11 pm CST

Pageant nightmares

Rediculous! Shame on Dr Phil for bothering. What Producer thought this would be a good show? What I don't understand is what crown are you chasing?? There are all kinds of pageants... kids, pre-teen, high school age, 20's, 30's, Miss Pageants, Mrs. Pageants, skinny pageants and fat pageants... what's next Miss Gereatric? Where does it end? Why don't they realize they are a laughing stock? When you have to pay to present yourself to a room full of basically everyones family and friends, who buys tickets to the everyday pageant? Dr. Phil touched on it, it's a pyramid scheme of the lowest kind and they are just dumb enough to fall for it.

WOW!!

February 28, 2008, 1:11 pm CST

wake up ladies

Dr Phil, I'm just going to say 1 thing. Every woman should read Judge Judys book" BEAUTY FADES  DUMB IS FOREVER". It tells woman then there's more to themselves then what they look like. The lady who said that if she didn't belong to pageants, then she feels like she'd end up an old frumpy housewife needs to read this book by Judge Judy. How about SCHOOL!!!  Or any kind of education. Is this all there is to these womans lives. I feel sad for them. I know they think their happy, but really ladies, you need to take a real hard look at your insides. Because there's something going on in there??   I RECOMMEND ANY LADY READING THIS POST MUST GO GET JUDGE JUDYS BOOK.   " BEAUTY FADES>>DUMB IS FOREVER.

I wish these ladies well. Because their going to need it when they start getting old. WAKE UP GIRLS!!!!

Diamondhead

February 28, 2008, 1:15 pm CST

I AGREE

Quote From: kaugust

I just don't understand the fascination with pagents.  It's  asking for outside validation in order to feel good about who you are?  Sounds to me as if there is a self-esteem issue.

Oh how I TOTALLY agree with you. Thats how us woman have been raised for years and years and years. We're only here to look good and keep our man happy. It is sad that were only judged for the way we look. And theres nothing wrong with trying to look the best you can. But some people just take it WAY too far. Just wanted to say that I totally agree with what you said.

take care

Diamondhead

February 28, 2008, 1:15 pm CST

Wow, wkae up

Quote From: momof4nhawaii

Not one of you posters above me has even seen the show. You are basing your entire opinion of these three women on a single paragraph written by people whose sole job it is to get you to watch the show. Think about that.

Why did they not get Mrs. America to appear? Or even a state titleholder? Any of the hundreds of women that compete and have supportive husbands (or have husbands that are also involved in judging, etc. themselves). How about Mrs. United States: a beautiful, accomplished woman and advocate for children with rare disorders? I'll tell you why...because these women would have put the world of Mrs. pageants in a positive light and that just doesn't make for good TV.
Beauty pageants are just big business taking your money. You can volunteer for those same organizations and be an advocate for children with rare disorders... Dr Phil didn't have any big pageant winners to shine a nice happy light on the industry because they are duped too! Wake up!

February 28, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Quote From: devil_girl

These women are frightening. They look, talk, act and dress like over-the-hill dolls.  I though Dr Phil made a v. good point when one said she just does this or charity and he showed that if she just donated all the money she put into this ridiculous crap she would be living a lot MORE to charity. 

She doesn't do this for charity she does this for attention.  How sad she is so insecure she has have a sparkly crown and have little catfights with other contestants in order to feel superiour.  I'm so thankful that I already feel secure, fabulous and wonderful and I don't have to lose all my money and self-respect just for some attention.

I think people that live beyond their means are missing some common sense and when they drag their families into the gutter with them they are being selfish. 

The mother that would rather spend money and time on her pageants than her children should never have had any!  I'm surprised she didn't pop out limited edition Barbie's instead of kids (that probably would have made her happier)

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

February 28, 2008, 1:18 pm CST

BIG DEAL!!

How is what this woman any different than what Dr. Phil does?  They both like the spotlight and the stage!!  They both make some money doing it (Dr. Phil more than her, but her's goes to charity).  Dr. Phil spends money on tennis and playing tournaments (and I know those are expensive!), and she spends money on her hobby, pagents.  If she isn't hurting anyone, let her do what she wants.  I happen to think GOLF is a big fat waste of time and money, but I wouldn't sneer at them like Dr. Phil did.  Big deal.  Find people with real  problems. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last