Message Boards

Topic : 02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Number of Replies: 130
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:14:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Little girls often dream of becoming Miss America, but sometimes these dreams don't end when they become adults. Dr. Phil's guests are mothers and wives who have an insatiable taste for the tiara. Angela has competed in five pageants and doesn't want to stop until she wins the big one. Her husband is sick and tired of the biz and says his wife is so obsessed with it, she wouldn't even let signs of a heart attack stop her from taking the stage! Angela says she only competes to support her charity, but her husband is not convinced. Then, Karen is a mother and wife who admits she is obsessed with winning and has competed in over 20 pageants. She's even skipped making two mortgage payments so she would have money for a pageant gown. And, Christi appeared on Dr. Phil a few years ago and was determined to become famous as an actress. She has now turned her acting dream into pageant pursuits. Christi is eight months pregnant with her seventh child, and her husband wants to know if he's being selfish by asking her to hang up her pageant heels to focus on the family. Plus, other queens get a chance to ask Dr. Phil their questions. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 28, 2008, 1:20 pm CST

02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Quote From: kaugust

I just don't understand the fascination with pagents.  It's  asking for outside validation in order to feel good about who you are?  Sounds to me as if there is a self-esteem issue.
I don't understand the fascination with golf or basketball either, and they are seeking as much validation as anyone if you ask me.

February 28, 2008, 1:23 pm CST

Boring......

This is my first post on the Dr. Phil boards.  I watch his program every day.  It's my favorite show and I've learned a lot over the years. 

I do have a question though, why so many pagent shows?  Yawn.  I thought today's show would never end.  I sure hope tomorrow is better!!

February 28, 2008, 1:24 pm CST

Quote From: flthomcat

Pagents are SO EXPENSIVE. Our daughter will be competing in a Miss Teen USA (local) pageant in April. She's a 13-yr-old going up against girls as old as 19. She's an Honors student who is also a star athlete. She altar serves at church, volunteers at Catholic charities, writes poetry beautifully and is just a super kid (if I may say so myself:).

We've told her she may "do" one pageant as a "gift" to her. It will be a wonderful childhood memory....a fun time where she can be in the spotlight and make new friends while having fun. She loves fashion and makeup (although she doesn't wear the latter to school).

The gowns cost hundreds and UP! The cocktail dresses cost hundrerds and UP! The swimsuits cost hundreds and UP! The rhinestones can cost over $100. The rhinestone heels can cost over $100 and usually 3 pairs are needed. Then you have to pay for headshots, get ads, buy tickets, buy makeup, get nails and feet done, get hair done, etc. It's COSTLY! And if you win, you need more of the same stuff for future engagements!!! It never ends!

Pageants are not only draining financially, they are time-consuming. Wouldn't they rather spend all that precious time with their wonderful, growing children and their wonderful, loving husbands? I'm very sad for them that they feel so unfulfilled....

Your last paragraph says a lot... and THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE SIGNED YOUR DAUGHTER UP FOR AND WHAT WE ARE THINKING ABOUT WHEN WE WATCH HER!  I feel just as sorry for your daughter as I do those other women who think they need that.  What's going to be such a wonderful "childhood" memory for her?  She's 16, hardly a child.  SHE'S NO DIFFERENT THAN THESE WOMEN!  It IS said that your daughter feels she needs this.

February 28, 2008, 1:43 pm CST

Wow!

Whats the old saying "When you grow up you need to put the childhood things away?"  It's time it put it away girls--your family needs you!  I would rather have "Great MOM " on my tombstone rather than "Mrs. Anything!"  You are all too old to need someone to corfirm your looks.  That's all it really is anyway.

February 28, 2008, 1:49 pm CST

Quote From: gwarrior6

That's Leslie, the cross-dressing bum looking rat-tabulous.  He's a local eccentric and icon (sort of like Mickey Mouse, everyone wants a pic with him).  He ran for mayor here a few times and came in second at least once.  He's actually pretty smart when he's sober.

I've never been on wife swap, I use g as either God-warrior or Girl warrior or even Gorgeous warrior-tee hee.  I couldn't make up my mind, so I settled on G-warrior. :)

Oh....too funny! ("Leslie, the cross-dressing bum"..."rat-tabulous") I love it!

I got a good one...when I lived in NM, I used to love to go to a little town north of Albuquerque, just south of Santa Fe. Just a tiny little ex-mining town, now an artist/tourist  town, called Madrid. If you saw the John Travolta movie "Wild Hogs", most of the movie was filmed there. Anyway, one of the colorful locals had a little shop there....his name was "Woolfy Bubbles"....I swear it was him on the stage in the movie singing at the festival! If not him, then his twin. I looked at the credits but didn't see his name..but that doesn't mean anything; I could have missed it. Woolfy was pretty much unforgettable!

Funny guy....funny movie.

Have a great day!  

February 28, 2008, 2:04 pm CST

Robin? You have got to be kidding

Robin is far too classy for this kind of behavior. she needs outside validation about as much as she needs a hole in the head.
This is  a sure sign of insecurity if I have ever seen one. Why do we have to be validated as being beautiful or not. When are we going t   realize that outer beauty is nothing more than luck? If it were a choice , everyone would be handsome or beautiful.  Inner beauty is the result of hard  work  by both the beautiful and their parents. My daughter, my son, and all my grandchildren are physically gorgeous but more importantly, they are fabulous people. I made it a point to never point out their physical beauty but to complement their good choices, good grades, and kindness to others.
  Get a life!

February 28, 2008, 2:05 pm CST

The pagaent industry...

Maybe I should go into the pagaent industry, make up some bogus title I pulled out of my ear.  "Mrs.Mars", or "Mrs. Kinky Boots", whatever.  I'd rack up the registration fees, crown fees, sash fees, ticket sales.  I'd make a killing off their insecurity.

February 28, 2008, 2:07 pm CST

Why?

I cannot imagine why, after growing up, getting married, having children and well having a life, why any woman feels that it's necessary to try and hold on to her self worth.  I personally can tell you that I don't need a panel of judges, or a sash, or a fake crown to look at myself in the mirror, and love who I see both internally and externally.  I sure as heck don't need some over the hill beauty queen telling me I need to lose weight, if I see a few extra pounds, I just go a bit further on the treadmill, but it's my decision, not some ole lady stuck in her own memories.

The money these women are spending on these pagents sure would have helped some homeless shelter, and yes I know that the first woman on the show had a charity.......too bad she just didn't hand the a check for 5500.00 instead of spending it on a dress she'll never wear again, nor will she get her money out of it(which she readily admitted). 

In my opinion(and we all know about opinions), pagents are a huge waste of money, time and intelligence.

Deb

February 28, 2008, 2:11 pm CST

Quote From: juliebgg

I would like to know what the purpose of these pageants is.  While it is commendable  that Mrs. United States is an advocate for children with rare disorders, it appears that the PRIMARY focus is still very shallow, because it is on physical appearance.  This is not to say that beautiful people don't have talent or advocate for good causes, but let's face it.  The most talented and altruistic 250 pound plain-faced woman is not going to be selected for any title, let alone allowed to compete in a contest  that is really about looks.
What is the purpose of golf?  And men spend a TON of money on that.   What is the purpose of anything that people do because they enjoy it?  Is there a test we are all supposed to take... and who judges?

February 28, 2008, 2:12 pm CST

Quote From: mimiskb

How is what this woman any different than what Dr. Phil does?  They both like the spotlight and the stage!!  They both make some money doing it (Dr. Phil more than her, but her's goes to charity).  Dr. Phil spends money on tennis and playing tournaments (and I know those are expensive!), and she spends money on her hobby, pagents.  If she isn't hurting anyone, let her do what she wants.  I happen to think GOLF is a big fat waste of time and money, but I wouldn't sneer at them like Dr. Phil did.  Big deal.  Find people with real  problems. 
actually she IS hurting someone...her husband and family!!!  The difference between these women and Dr Phil is he can actually afford his hobbies and his family isn't begging him to stop putting them in the poorhouse and upset that he spends more time tanning than with them

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last