Message Boards

Topic : 02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Number of Replies: 130
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 22, 2008, 12:14:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Little girls often dream of becoming Miss America, but sometimes these dreams don't end when they become adults. Dr. Phil's guests are mothers and wives who have an insatiable taste for the tiara. Angela has competed in five pageants and doesn't want to stop until she wins the big one. Her husband is sick and tired of the biz and says his wife is so obsessed with it, she wouldn't even let signs of a heart attack stop her from taking the stage! Angela says she only competes to support her charity, but her husband is not convinced. Then, Karen is a mother and wife who admits she is obsessed with winning and has competed in over 20 pageants. She's even skipped making two mortgage payments so she would have money for a pageant gown. And, Christi appeared on Dr. Phil a few years ago and was determined to become famous as an actress. She has now turned her acting dream into pageant pursuits. Christi is eight months pregnant with her seventh child, and her husband wants to know if he's being selfish by asking her to hang up her pageant heels to focus on the family. Plus, other queens get a chance to ask Dr. Phil their questions. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 28, 2008, 2:16 pm CST

Angela

She is beautiful. I feel sorry for her it seems like she needs validation to her beauty.  She is an addict. Not in drugs or drinking but for sure an addict.  Please Dr Phil set her straight.  Women do not need to be judged by beauty but by brains.  She has alot of offer and needs to use it in other ways rather then a runway!!!!

February 28, 2008, 2:20 pm CST

02/28 Still Chasing the Crown

Now that I've seen the show, I'm not sure that Christi is from the same previous show that I thought she was. The profile seems the same but SHE looks different. On that previous show the couple had a large family and the wife wanted to be a soap star and even had a reading for someone in the business. Does anyone else remember? One thing I will say is it's not reasonable to think that someone has to be pretty to be a fundraiser, look at Leona Helmsley. When my daughter was elementary school age, she liked to dress up in formal dresses and wear a crown. (I used to get formal dresses from the Goodwill and sew them to fit her.) But, she never talked about pageants, she just liked to play dress up and wear a crown. She outgrew it. I guess if someone has the extra money and wants to do pageants, then that's thier business. It seemed that for most on the show today money represented an obstacle and was causing problems with the spouse. Concerning the pregnant couple, I CANNOT believe she has one extra moment to spend on pageant related stuff. I mean 6 kids and one on the way, come on! That was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I don't think it's fair to her husband and children for her to persue this at this time in her life. What in the world is she thinking? The thing with the crown at the end of the show for Robin, I wonder if DrP had discussed that beforehand with Robin? Surely  he had and they were out of time anyway. I personally, have never been drawn to participate in the pageant world. It wouldn't mean a thing to me to go and compete for a sash and a crown. To win would have no validation for me at all. We are all different. Like I said in the beginning, if someone has the financial resources and the support of thier spouse, then go for it. 

February 28, 2008, 2:23 pm CST

This show just confirms what I

These pageants are disgusting. I (as does most any man) love to see pretty girls; however, we don't want to see women like "this", who think they are little "princesses" ... and think they have nothing to offer a man but their bodies. As much as many woman (not these women, but others) think these pageants are dehumanizing to women, they are MORE dehumanizing to men because it makes it appear that all it takes is some bimbo "parading herself" around  ... like meat on a hook, to get attention.

I don't have daughters, but if I did, I would NEVER let them do this crap. It is disgusting, and yes ... disgusting more to MEN ... than to woman. This lady needs a life; she needs to realize she is an adult, and not some grown up version of Shirley Temple. I recently walked in on some friends watching the Ms. America pageant and "looked" just to see what would happen to the girl that was in the service (Army). She was the only one there with any self respect. She did NOT strut herself out on stage half naked; she was (is) serving her country ... and if anyone should have been "Ms. America", it was her.

However, I read the next day that she did not get the "crown". Goes to show just how superficial these shows are. She was the true "Ms. America".

February 28, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

WHY ARE YOU CHASING THE SO CALLED CROWN???

BOY MEN GET THEM  OUT OF YOUR LIFE.

DR PHIL HOW CAN YOU DO THESE SHOWS???

AND WHATS WRONG WITH THE WOMEN???

DR PHIL CANT YOU GET SOME GOOD SHOWS ON AND NOT BAD SHOWS????

BOY HELP THE WOMEN AND MEN GET SOME WOMEN THAT WILL NOT DO THIS TO YOU AND YOUR

MONEY!!!

February 28, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

Point

Quote From: lcbright65

Ha....not sure if she works outside the home or not, but if she does, she might decide to stop depositing her "funds" into the "family funds". I don't necessarily agree with the pageant thing, however, I have hobbies, as does my husband, and there's not a man alive who is going to "restrict my access to family funds" if I'm the one helping put them there. Not in this lifetime.
I think the point is that the family funds shouldn't be going towards her hobby if they can't afford the outragoues cost of the hobby.   I think it all depends if the family can "afford" her hobby without sacraficing the family funds to support it.  There is a difference.  How can one justify missing the mortgage for two months in order to pay for a pageant?  Her funding needs to be pulled if her thinking is this skewed.

February 28, 2008, 2:29 pm CST

MONEY & Low self esteem

I understand the self esteem thing a tiny bit because I've become ill at 54and can't be in my 5 music groups at church and do flute, voice and piano, and that helped my self esteem but I've sure survived without it!!!  Will these ladies self esteem be able to take it when they can't do pagents anymore?? Really?  I wonder??  Can't a woman find self esteem inside themselves??

I don't know who has the money for this, but college educations areexpensive.  Kids can work and earn scholorships but PLEASE--don'tthese parents know that as parents, even our "self efficient" childrenwill need help financially once in a while?  I think we should becareful with our money until our children get on their own before wespend too much.

FRUSTRATED
Jamy

February 28, 2008, 2:30 pm CST

Quote From: gwarrior6

That's Leslie, the cross-dressing bum looking rat-tabulous.  He's a local eccentric and icon (sort of like Mickey Mouse, everyone wants a pic with him).  He ran for mayor here a few times and came in second at least once.  He's actually pretty smart when he's sober.

I've never been on wife swap, I use g as either God-warrior or Girl warrior or even Gorgeous warrior-tee hee.  I couldn't make up my mind, so I settled on G-warrior. :)

gwarrior, Boy do I have egg on my face! I have been on the messageboards for a little over a year and ALL this time I have been looking at the "g" and seeing a "q". (qwarrior) Now I know the truth! My eyes have been playing tricks on me. Sorry.

February 28, 2008, 2:40 pm CST

Big difference...

Quote From: mimiskb

How is what this woman any different than what Dr. Phil does?  They both like the spotlight and the stage!!  They both make some money doing it (Dr. Phil more than her, but her's goes to charity).  Dr. Phil spends money on tennis and playing tournaments (and I know those are expensive!), and she spends money on her hobby, pagents.  If she isn't hurting anyone, let her do what she wants.  I happen to think GOLF is a big fat waste of time and money, but I wouldn't sneer at them like Dr. Phil did.  Big deal.  Find people with real  problems. 
There's a HUGE difference.  Dr. Phil actually helps people put there lives back together and can afford to do so and can afford to do his hobbies.  These woman are ONLY doing it for the crown, no matter what they are saying, and they CAN'T afford it.  They are putting their family in financial distress all for a stupid crown.  If you believe for one minute that they are only doing it for their charity, you might need to schedule some time with Dr. Phil to get your head examined. 

I couldn't help but reply to you as it was the most ridiculous comment I've ever read.  Comparing Dr. Phil to Pageant Women.  Gimmie a break...

February 28, 2008, 2:47 pm CST

Sad and unattractive

How very, very sad that all of these women are so selfish and insecure that they are chasing those ridiculous 'crowns'...There is nothing at all attractive about a middle aged woman, mother, wife, etc pursuing a goal that is based solely on some pagent 'judge' telling her that she is a 'winner'. Ladies, you may have a sparkly crown, but your real self is really ugly. You're certainly not 'winners' in anyway that really matters if you are wiling to lie to her husband, threaten your children's financial well being and or otherwise delude yourself about the true nature of the pageant business. And, I guarantee that everybody watching could see that!!

Angela, I have worked with poor, mentally ill children and their families for 20 years. I spent many thousands of dollars on my education and training in order to be able to provide them with the best psychotherapy that I could.  And, my salary is not much. I routinely use my own $$ to help the children out with items that will benefit them therapeutically. If you are so serious about the children's camp, then start funnelng all the cash that you would ordinarily spend on the pageant directly to the children's camp. I guarantee that it would be much better spent.

February 28, 2008, 2:49 pm CST

Quote From: shan34

As long as they are not missing payments and taking care of thier kids who are they hurting...their self esteem is probably needing a boost but hey...and the sash made for Robin...I know she may not agree with the idea of pagents, to each his own but she could have taken it.  It was made for her as a gift! Put it up have a laugh whatever but please don't be rude!

Sincerely! :)

Amen!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last