Message Boards

Topic : 03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 1865
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:14:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Should schools be allowed to pass out birth control to students? Should teens be forced to take vows of purity? Dr. Phil and Bishop T.D. Jakes, author of Reposition Yourself, tackle these and other controversial issues. First up, Ed is an abstinence educator who believes the only safe sex for teens is no sex. But 21-year-old Shelby calls Ed’s tactics “dangerous” and says kids need sex education in schools to stop teen pregnancy. Are abstinence-only programs effective? See what Dr. Phil and the Bishop think. Then, Lisette says if she had had access to birth control when she was 12 years old, she wouldn't have had a baby at 13. Is her school to blame for not handing out birth control? What’s right for your child? Plus, is it realistic for teens to live by purity pledges until they get married? A sexually active 14-year-old and an 18-year-old virgin face off on this touchy topic. And, another issue making the headlines is: Should pregnant teens be given maternity leave? Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB-GYN and member of The Doctors, shares her views, join the discussion and share your views too!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 8, 2008, 10:12 am CDT

03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Study Confirms Abortion Increases Risk of Depression

By Tim Waggoner

OSLO, Norway, August 7, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A 2008 study by the University of Oslo in Norway has found that young adult women who have had abortions are more likely to become depressed.

The study, which involved 768 women between the ages of 15 and 27, was carried out in order to "investigate whether induced abortion was a risk factor for subsequent depression."

According to Willy Pedersen from the University's Department of Sociology and Human Geography, who conducted the study, past studies have suffered in accuracy due to bad design, specifically a lack of control of "compounding factors."

The new study strove to prevent this problem by creating a comprehensive list of factors to question women on, including, "depression, induced abortion and childbirth, as well as sociodemographic variables, family relationships and a number of individual characteristics, such as schooling and occupational history and conduct problems."

Women in the sample who had abortions while in their twenties were "more likely to score above the cut-off point for depression," and although the likelihood was reduced when the compounding factors were accounted for, their propensity to become depressed "remained significant."

The study concluded that, "Young adult women who undergo induced abortion may be at increased risk for subsequent depression."

See full report here:

http://sjp.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/36/4/424

August 8, 2008, 10:17 am CDT

Quote From: kathleen27

Unless it is life threatening, the teen should have the right to refuse an abortion.(But this teen would not be going to Planned Parenthood for one in the first place). No doctor should have the right to perform a forced procedure that is unnecessary .  A teen can site religious opposition, just as long as her parents are aware that she is going through a bad time.   

I'm against any invasive or medical procedure that is done on a minor without parental consent.  No abortion, no procedure.

Well said.  I have heard so many stories about teen girls who were forced (against their will) by their parents to have an abortion; some were drugged at the clinic, so that they would not resist.  It is very, very tragic and should not be happening to these girls.

August 8, 2008, 10:37 am CDT

$$$$ Just not enough of it

Quote From: getrealtime

Where are the monies going to come from???? My sis, moved down south and there are 3 countys there that have made the school days mon-thurs. because of the gas prices (shake your head with me) and here where I'm from one community didn't vote a tax levey though and they had their bus sevice taken away.

The only reason we need school to teach health classes is because of one reason and one reason only, The Lazy parent, My daughter does not need Health class I have covered it with her for years and helped her to understand her body and her empowerment over her body and mind. I didn't tell her no sex I told her she should know her body and her want and needs before she give it to someone else, she should be getting something out of the sex and if she not, she is just a vessel and not the commander.

when we talked about orgasm she didn't know it was harder for most women to achive it without know yourself and expressing yourself , that it was not like a man. made her think. well I got to go Its Friday shoppping to do. ugh.

I'm shocked at the 4 day school week...the kids must love it!  Seriously, there will be cut backs in education, at this rate, probably more than I thought. 

Parents do bear the responsibility...you do it, I do it, and so do many others.  The ones who don't...well, maybe the reason all we CAN do is offer that bandaid, but the stats do not sound very promising.

Oh well, we try our best and use these boards to bounce ideas around...beats just giving up.

Happy shopping, I did mine last night.

August 8, 2008, 3:20 pm CDT

Quote From: kathleen27

I'm shocked at the 4 day school week...the kids must love it!  Seriously, there will be cut backs in education, at this rate, probably more than I thought. 

Parents do bear the responsibility...you do it, I do it, and so do many others.  The ones who don't...well, maybe the reason all we CAN do is offer that bandaid, but the stats do not sound very promising.

Oh well, we try our best and use these boards to bounce ideas around...beats just giving up.

Happy shopping, I did mine last night.

Yes we must keep the bandaids because their is noway in hell we are going to get some of these parents off the couch. lol and a bandaid is better then nothing for some of these kids. a shame but the truth.

i use to shop at night but it took them so long to bag I always did it myself and at these prices I might as well get the full service.lol.......

I almost came up your way this weekend, for shopping, My friend had a two day layover at JFK. but to much to do with the kids getting ready for school and all, do need a back-ally  purse and pocket book lol....

yac at ya latter.

J.

August 10, 2008, 12:25 pm CDT

Reminds me of an overcrowded E.R.

Quote From: getrealtime

Yes we must keep the bandaids because their is noway in hell we are going to get some of these parents off the couch. lol and a bandaid is better then nothing for some of these kids. a shame but the truth.

i use to shop at night but it took them so long to bag I always did it myself and at these prices I might as well get the full service.lol.......

I almost came up your way this weekend, for shopping, My friend had a two day layover at JFK. but to much to do with the kids getting ready for school and all, do need a back-ally  purse and pocket book lol....

yac at ya latter.

J.

With budget cuts, pukey parents, and bandaids, it sounds like a bad E.R.  Raising children is really no easy job, not for the faint of heart.  I know of couples who really didn't want children, and had their families nagging at them.  I applaud them!  And if people want grandchildren, their kids have to first want children, not have them so Granny gets to show photos in the beauty parlour! 

I'm afraid that the little we DO have will be cut...our new governor is looking to cut anything he can...bet the health and sex-ed classes go next.

How was shopping?  Prices haven't been cut back!  LOL!  you're right to want full service...

If you ever do decide to be in town, let me know...I think it would be fun if we met.

All you need to shop in N.Y. is a money tree in the yard! 

Catch you over at the current events board.

Kath

August 10, 2008, 12:53 pm CDT

You don't need these reports

Quote From: kustomlady

okay, allow me to demonstrate how this article falls short of a conclusion that Comprehensive Sex Ed is more successful than Abstinence education...

1. abstinence-only programs seem to fall short, the results of a U.S. survey suggest.

What survey, where is the survey and data from the survey?

2. Using data from a 2002 national survey, researchers found

Again where is the survey and data, not the blogger from msnbc's interpretation of the data, but the actual data? Also, 2002 was 6 years ago, there has been updated information since then.

3. the researchers report in the Journal of Adolescent Health... (etc, etc)

What report, reports have titles and dates, why hasn't a report been cited?

4. The bottom line is that there is strong evidence... (etc, etc)

LOL, the bottom line is, there is yet to be seen a single shred of evidence.

5. Critics have long pointed out that studies have failed to show that abstinence-only education delays sex or lowers rates of teen pregnancy.

Studies have failed to show that abstinence education is ineffective in delaying sex or lowering rates of teen pregnancy, or that Comprhensive Sex ed is MORE effective.

6. There is now a body of evidence showing that the comprehensive approach may cut the odds of teen pregnancy, without increasing the likelihood of teens having sex

What evidence, where is the evidence?  None was cited in this article, I even scrolled down to the bottom of the page for a reference table and found NOTHING

7. "there seems to be a gap between scientific evidence and policy change."

LOL, there seems to be a lack of scientific evidence for which to promote policy change.

Reports can give statistics that favor the outcome the survey wants.  I looked at my own kids' schools.  Two different High Schools, both Catholic Parochial, willing to take Non-Catholic students like mine...we have to pay more, but in N.Y. the public schools near my zone STINK!  So, I caved for safety...well, in both of them, teens are having sex!  My son has not yet.  He's 18, and he hasn't been serious long enough with a girl to go that far.  He is straight edge...that means NO DRUGS, so better than half the pool of girls were off limits to his taste...the drug use and alcohol consumption is very high.

My daughter's High School, same thing...we even knew the name of a "local" dealer...in the better neighborhood. 

We live in a gated community, which I detest...but the safety, is worth my distaste.  You read a New York paper, you turn green...probably common in big Cities.  Sex in her school?  Well, let's say that out of 100 graduates, 25 were virgins.  She also wasn't ready...at 20, I don't ask...She's been with this young man for two years...very nice, so she has the information, and so does he...Mother has a BIG MOUTH!

You can TRY to "insulate" your children, which was my husband's idea until he saw, first hand, more goes on inside the gates, with sex and booze than does outside!  We do however, have no violent crime...but sex?  Hell yeah...a "little" girl who played with my son in Kindergarten , just had a baby...she's 17...her Mother was HAPPY it didn't happen sooner?!?!?

So stats be as they may, put condoms in these kids hands, tell hem how to have safe sex. The parents who are putting in the time will have a higher percentage of raising teens' self-esteem to where they see sex as special, and enter into it wisely.  Even the involved parents have a percentage of slips, so the information may be helpful there as well.

As for abstinance, some teens will chose it...it cannot be forced unless you put on a chastity belt, and even then, there ARE other ways....

Talk to teens, or parents of teens who are honest...Stats sit on paper, teens are flesh and blood.  I base my opinions on something that breathes...teens!

TEACH.. TEACH...TEACH...before the budget cuts take that away...hope not, but here, our State budget is being SLIVERED by our new Governor.  I cannot STAND this man, we got him courtesy of the ELECTED GOVERNOR who had to resign due to his heavy involvlement with prostitution!  He was our PIT BULL Attorney General against sex crimes...so, this sexual epidemic goes from Junior high right to the White House!  We better face facts, not worry about studies...

The information doesn't force sex to happen, it IS our ONLY defense at keeping those who indulge as safe as possible.  To demand 100% of anything is not realistic...TEACH SEX ED!

August 12, 2008, 7:56 am CDT

August 11, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In a culture where cold, hard science is king, one doctor is questioning whether the theory of "safe sex" can measure up.

In her pamphlet "Sense and Sexuality: The College Girl's Guide to Real Protection in a Hooked-up World," to be released later this month, Miriam Grossman, M.D., uses her medical training and 10 years' experience as a staff psychiatrist at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to expose the physical and mental dangers of the uninhibited sexual climate that dominates the modern college campus.

In the introduction, Grossman describes the tragic and recurring scene in her campus office: a young woman, broken and in crisis, describes the mistakes that have poisoned her dreams.  Dr. Grossman laments: "The worst part?  Many times the crisis was 100 percent preventable.  If only I'd known... she says, if only someone had told me."

These are the words, says Dr. Grossman, that young women should never have to say.  Hers is not a pamphlet for "safer sex," but for giving girls the information they need: the "critical health information" that few others will tell them about.

One of the most striking features of this pamphlet is how Dr. Grossman draws her arguments from her authoritative medical perspective. Well-documented studies and statistics stand behind her objections to common misconceptions.  As one example, Grossman argues that anal intercourse does not, as is sometimes erroneously believed, protect from STDs: rather, it increases the risk of HIV to 20 times that of vaginal intercourse.  She also quotes a study that claims 91% of girls on one campus have feelings of regret after a hook-up - a fact she simply lets stand on its own. 

In this pamphlet there are no arguments from moral standards; in fact, there is little argumenation at all, only a wealth of scientific fact that inevitably calls into question the safety of the "hook-up culture" at college campuses.

The pamphlet, stylishly tinted pink and red, appeals directly to college-age women in personal, but hard-line terms.  It discusses in familiar words the effects of oxytocin, a hormone released by intimate behavior, on one's ability to make clear choices and on the long term consequences of the choices one makes: "Because of it [oxytocin], you could develop feelings for a guy whose last intention is to bond with you. You might think of him all day, but he can't remember your name." 

Ultimately, Dr. Grossman's theme is crystal clear: be informed. If you do not take the time to ask right questions, you will be vulnerable to the wrong answers.  As she writes in her conclusion: "Learn about the distinct sensitivities of being female - go beyond the brief information provided here - and use that knowledge to inform your decisions."

Dr. Miriam Grossman is a board-certified psychiatrist and the once-anonymous author of Unprotected: A Campus Psychiatrist Reveals How Political Correctness Endangers Every Student.  She is a Senior Fellow at the Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute, a non-profit organization that promotes conservative women in leadership roles.

For a preview of Dr. Grossman's pamphlet:
http://www.cblpi.org/senseandsexuality/index.cfm

Dr. Grossman's website:
http://www.miriamgrossmanmd.com

Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute's website:
http://www.cblpi.org

For information on Dr. Grossman's book Unprotected, see the LifeSiteNews.com article:

College Women at Risk for Psychiatric Illness at Politically Correct Campuses
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2006/dec/06121409.html

August 13, 2008, 7:38 am CDT

Hi Sugar, it's Carol

How are you today? Hope you are doing well. I have been having TOO much drama with my daughter and her louse of a husband but we'll manage.

Anywho I know this isn't the place(forgive me mods), but I haven't "seen" you anywhere else, so I just wanted to tell you that my new grandson is here. He was born Monday. He is 7lbs, 3ozs and 20". And did I say ADORABLE!!!!!!

Take care

<3

Carol

August 16, 2008, 8:22 pm CDT

MEDIA ADVISORY, Aug. 14 /Christian Newswire/ -- Allan Parker, President of The Justice Foundation, announced today that 100 scientists, medical and mental health professionals, based on their training and experience, have released a joint statement today saying abortion hurts women.  They agree with the following statements: 

"As a scientist, medical or mental health professional, I agree with the following conclusions about abortion:

THE FACTS

1. It is common for women to experience feelings of anger, fear, sadness, anxiety, grief, or guilt after abortion.  The United States Supreme Court is correct that "some women come to regret their choice to abort the infant life they once created and sustained... Severe depression and loss of esteem can follow."
  2. Women's reaction to these feelings vary considerably with their emotional coping abilities and pre-existing functioning.  It is undeniable that significant numbers of women are injured by abortion and should not be ignored by the medical profession and that significant numbers of women suffer serious physical, mental or psychological trauma as a result of abortion. 
  3. The conclusion that there is a causal connection between abortion and negative problems is supported by three independent lines of evidence:  (a) the self-attribution of women themselves, (b) mental health professionals who have successfully diagnosed and treated post-abortion reactions, and (c) statistically validated studies controlling for a large number of confounding factors which have been published in peer reviewed journals.

The Justice Foundation's president, Allan Parker, also stated that the women of Operation Outcry, who have been personally hurt by abortion, also confirm that abortion hurts women.  Women themselves offer the best evidence of how abortion affected them.  The Justice Foundation has now collected over 3,000 testimonies from women and men hurt by abortion.  It is the largest body in the world of legally admissible evidence on the harm of abortion. 

Lisa Dudley, Director of Outreach for Operation Outcry said: "It is time for the world to hear the truth about our pain.  Abortion hurts women and we will be silent no more."

Women who have been hurt by abortions and some of the professionals are available to discuss the issues.  Contact Tracy Reynolds at 210-614-7157 or info@txjf.org.

The testimony of these women has now influenced two major court decisions, the Supreme Court (April 18, 2007 partial birth abortion decision) and the 8th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals opinion (June 27, 2008) upholding the South Dakota law requiring women be informed before abortion that abortion terminates the "life of a whole, separate, unique, living human being" and a "description of all known medical risks of the procedure and statistically significant risk factors to which the pregnant woman would be subjected, including:  (i) Depression and related psychological distress; (ii) Increased risk of suicide ideation and suicide."

A full copy of the Statement of Medical and Mental Health Professionals can be read at:  www.operationoutcry.org

In addition, on March 14, 2008, the British Royal Academy of Psychiatrists stated:  

"Healthcare professionals who assess or refer women who are requesting an abortion should assess for mental disorder and for risk factors that may be associated with its subsequent development. If a mental disorder or risk factors are identified, there should be a clearly identified care pathway whereby the mental health needs of the woman and her significant others may be met.

"The Royal College of Psychiatrists recognizes that good practice in relation to abortion will include informed consent. Consent cannot be informed without the provision of adequate and appropriate information regarding the possible risks and benefits to physical and mental health."

The full Royal College of Psychiatrists' position statement on women's mental health in relation to induced abortion can be read here

Clayton Trotter, General Counsel of The Justice Foundation said:  "Given that the Supreme Court, the 8th Circuit, the British Royal Academy of Psychiatrists, 100 American Scientists, Medical and Mental Health Professionals and 3000 post-abortive women, and men agree that abortion can potentially severely hurt women we want that truth to be recognized..."

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/406447493.html

August 18, 2008, 7:20 am CDT

This is a wierd article but I personally know of several women who had used birth control long term and later had tremendous difficulty becoming pregnant.  Their struggle to conceive was extrememly heart breaking for them and I have been wondering if long term use of birth control does in fact effect a woman's fertility later on...

New Study: Oral Contraceptives Disrupt Ability to Choose Genetically Favorable Mate

By Kathleen Gilbert

LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, August 12, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A recent study by the University of Liverpool found that the contraceptive pill may adversely affect a woman's natural ability to choose a genetically favorable mate. 

The ability to choose a genetically favorable mate is ascribed in part to pheromones, chemicals that can cause behavioral changes in the opposite sex. These chemicals also contain the genes involved in immunity response.  When these genes interact with normal skin bacteria, they influence an individual's particular body odor. 

Research has indicated that women tend to be more attracted to the odors of men whose genes are more unlike their own; this instinctive attraction is key in helping ensure a match that is genetically advantageous to a couple's offspring.  If a couple's genes are too similar, they are at an increased risk of miscarriage and difficulty conceiving, and if they do conceive, the child may have a weakened immune system.

Yet this natural sense may be endangered by the use of oral contraceptives.  The research team conducting the study asked women to indicate their preferences of six male body odors before and after initiating use of oral contraceptives. 

According to Craig Roberts, a Lecturer in Evolutionary Psychology and one of the researchers in this study, women taking the pill began to prefer men with more genetically similar odors.  Addressing the implications of such a disruption, he states: "Not only could [gene] similarity in couples lead to fertility problems, but it could ultimately lead to the breakdown of relationships when women stop using the contraceptive pill, as odour perception plays a significant role in maintaining attraction to partners."

These claims are not the first to question the pill's impact on hormone activity and sexuality.  Dr. David Brownstein, commenting on a study linking oral contraceptives to increased arterial plaque, emphasized the precarious balance of hormones needed for good health, a balance disrupted de facto in pill users:

"Oral contraceptives totally disrupt the normal hormonal cascade. When the hormonal system is disrupted, cardiovascular disease, cancer, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and other serious illnesses will increase.  My clinical experience has clearly shown that it is impossible to adequately treat these illnesses if there is an imbalanced hormonal system."  (Read "Oral Contraceptives May Be Linked to Atherosclerosis" http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/jul/08071202.html)

In addition to altering women's natural attraction to suitable partners, the pill also permanently damages sex drive over long-term use, according to one study (Read http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2005/may/05052603.html). 

Related LifeSiteNews.com coverage:

Birth Control Pill May Cause Prostate Cancer and Bladder Disease in Mothers' Children
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2005/may/05050411.html

The Pill is Deadly to Babies and Women
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/1999/jan/99011203.html

Online Video: Noted Endocrinologist Explains How the Birth Control Pill Causes Abortion
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2007/aug/07080303.html

First | Prev | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | Next | Last