Message Boards

Topic : 03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 1865
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:14:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Should schools be allowed to pass out birth control to students? Should teens be forced to take vows of purity? Dr. Phil and Bishop T.D. Jakes, author of Reposition Yourself, tackle these and other controversial issues. First up, Ed is an abstinence educator who believes the only safe sex for teens is no sex. But 21-year-old Shelby calls Ed’s tactics “dangerous” and says kids need sex education in schools to stop teen pregnancy. Are abstinence-only programs effective? See what Dr. Phil and the Bishop think. Then, Lisette says if she had had access to birth control when she was 12 years old, she wouldn't have had a baby at 13. Is her school to blame for not handing out birth control? What’s right for your child? Plus, is it realistic for teens to live by purity pledges until they get married? A sexually active 14-year-old and an 18-year-old virgin face off on this touchy topic. And, another issue making the headlines is: Should pregnant teens be given maternity leave? Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB-GYN and member of The Doctors, shares her views, join the discussion and share your views too!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 2, 2008, 2:11 pm CST

Maternity leave for teens

Of course maternity leave should be extended to teens, for all the same reasons it shoud given it to all women! Mothers need time to bond with their babies and time is needed to grieve if they have chosen to put a baby up for adoption. The hormonal issues after birth are even more intense for teen mothers. Their hormones hadn't even leveled themselves off before the pregnancy occurred. Our teens (boys and girls) have enormous pressure from peers, parents, teachers and even themselves. Asking a teen mother to return to school or work  right after having a baby is ridiculous. And parents.... if this happens in your family, your children need you now as much as when they were infants. When I hear of parents kicking children out of their home due to an unexpected pregnancy, it sickens me. Whatever your religious beliefs, love your children for who they are, not for living up to some unrealistic expectation of what YOU wanted for them.  And forget "WHAT WOULD THE NEIGHBORS SAY?"   Who cares..... this is YOUR CHILD. Get over it.

March 2, 2008, 3:05 pm CST

so... what do you do....

Quote From: teenie3

Education is a must, birth control is the key. I have three grown children who, when under the age of 21, liked to drink and thought it was cool to sneak around and not get caught. When they became legal, and responsible, took the fun out of it. Birth control would have the same effect. We need to take resonsibility for our underage children!!! We put them in seatbelts to protect them from a deadly crash, we get them all their shots to protect them from worldly diseases, we make them eat all their vegetables even though they don't like to eat them, but we won't give them birth control???????? I don't get it!!! Some people believe that if you give them birth control, you are giving them permission to "do it" ? They have been "doing it" already, you just don't know it!!!! A baby affects the REST OF THEIR LIFE!!!!  We could talk about the national debt we pay to unwed mothers but that would take too long. MANDATORY BIRTH CONTROL before the age of 21!! 

o promoter of birth control what do you do when they come to you and tell you they have been infected with HIV or some other disease? Say, "well... I was a responsible parent, I made them take birth control!!!

At 14 15 or 16 they do not understand what kind of danger they are putting themselves in. It's not cured by birth control.  

March 2, 2008, 3:22 pm CST

Teens deserve honest answers and good information

I am  nurse practitioner and believe in giving teens access to options that lower their risks of pregnancy and STIs. Although it would be nice for teens to abstain from sex until they are emotionally mature responsible adults, that is not the way the world works. I feel that teens deserve access to factual information, from persons who treat them with respect and are prepared to discuss their individual and collective issues in a non-judgemental manner. In my practice, I address risk reduction, health promotion, disease prevention and self-esteem. I try to be aware of the many factors that influence the sexual behaviour of teens and hope that I can give them the tools to work with, so that the decisions that they make will be less likely to cause harm. I am available and listen to their concerns. I know that people's choices are related to their values, so I try to listen to what things influence their decision making. I can't make them be safe, but I can try to help them by being someone they feel they can talk to, and someone who will respect them and be honest.  

March 2, 2008, 3:24 pm CST

03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: gramgos

They are not the "school's" children. They are not the psychologist's children. They are not the teacher's children. They are not the government's children. They are our children.

Passing out birth control not only promotes, it aids and abets sexual immorality and usurps the authority of the child's parents to instill their values in their children. Bad behavior doesn't decrease when it is subsidized and accepted as normal, it increases. It only decreases when it is stigmatized. Peer pressure can be just as much a tool for the promotion of good behavior as it can for bad behavior. Holding people accountable and fully responsible for bad behavior is powerful motivation for people to abstain from bad behavior. When evil is exalted evil becomes rampant. When evil is demonized evil becomes rare.

Buying condoms for teenagers who are sexually immoral does nothing to encourage abstinence. Rather it supports their sexual immorality. Condoms are cheap and readily available. If sexually active teens wanted to use them they would buy them. They have them in men's restrooms all over the place and they are cheap. They are in every drug store and many department stores. They are not having sex without them because they are expensive or unavailable...so what is the purpose of passing them out at school?

Are they embarrassed to buy them at a drug store? Then why aren't they embarrassed to ask for them at school? They can purchase them at most gas stations in the restroom without any embarrassment at all. Is 50 cents or a dollar beyond their budget? They wear 100 dollar shoes, have cell phones, ipods, cars, bank accounts, jobs, video games, etc.  but they cannot afford to purchase a condom? Come on! Get real!

Godless outsiders are not only trying to indoctrinate our children with their godless immorality they are trying to force us into letting them teach it to our children and make us subsidize it, and we object. They are not your children, they're ours.

Godless outsiders are trying to promote, aid and abet teenage sex by giving them condoms and birth control without our approval and we object. They are our children, not yours.

Condoms are not safe no matter how many times you claim they are. Only asbstinence is 100% safe 100% of the time. Using condoms for sex is like playing Russian roulette. Keep playing and eventually you will reap the devastating consequences. To tell a child that condoms are safe is like telling a child an "unloaded" gun is safe. Condom promotion makes a child feel there will be no consequences if they are used consistently and anyone who is honest knows that ain't so. They leak, break and slip off. In spite of condom pusher's adamant assurances that condoms make sex safe they know they don't. It is a myth promoted by godless people who make up lies to win the argument. They really don't care about the tragic consequences of the lives of people who were destroyed because they foolshly believed them.

Untold numbers of unborn babies will be slaughtered because teens believed condoms are safe. Untold numbers of girls will become pregnant because they believed condoms are safe. Untold numbers of boys will get a girl pregnant because they were told condoms are safe.  Untold numbers of teens will get STD's because liars told them condoms make sex safe. But where will these condom pushing liars be when teens become victims of their lies...in their ivory towers spouting the same old crap.

Some condom pushers will give you a ride to a baby killing facility to help you murder your unborn child...that is what they do best...destroy people. Will they support your choice to raise your child...will they pay your rent, doctor bills, utilities, hospital bills, food, clothing, etc.? No, not personally. But they will make sure the government robs poor working slobs who are struggling to make a decent living and life for their own families. The elites don't want to personally pay for the consequences of their advise, they prefer to force others to do it.

Dr. Phil ought to be required by law to support every child conceived as a result of condom failure by those who believed his "condoms make sex safe" advise. He ought to pay all medical and hospital expenses of everyone who got an STD or AIDS as a result of condom failure. Step up to the plate Dr. Phil. Put you money where your mouth is. If someone believes you and starts having sex with condoms and the condom fails and they get pregnant or STD's you need to do the right thing and take full responsibility for your "expert" advise. 

What about the rest of you condom pushers? Are you gonna step up to the plate when people reap the devastating consequences of following your advise?

Abstinence pushers are willing to step up to the plate if anyone gets pregnant or an STD as a result of abstinence.

Condom pushers will never voluntarily step up to the plate and take full financial responsibility for the lives they devastate with their lies. They prefer to force everyone else to pay for the consequences of their advise.  Drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, sexual immorality, etc. They don't want moral people to tell anyone how to live. They fight to make sure everyone is free to do whatever is right in their own eyes and when the immoral reap the consequences of their immoral choices, they dump the burden on the hardworking middle class by increasing their taxes. It's risk free for the elite. It's a win-win for immoral people who do evil and only a lose-lose for moral, hard working, taxpaying families.

Oh, did I mention? They are our children, not yours.

A standing ovation!!!!!!  Right on!!!!

I wouldn't necessarily bame Dr. Phil for any thing though.  The show hasn't even aired yet.

March 2, 2008, 3:58 pm CST

03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

They are not the "school's" children. They are not the psychologist's children. They are not the teacher's children. They are not the government's children. They are our children.

Passing out birth control not only promotes, it aids and abets sexual immorality and usurps the authority of the child's parents to instill their values in their children. Bad behavior doesn't decrease when it is subsidized and accepted as normal, it increases. It only decreases when it is stigmatized. Peer pressure can be just as much a tool for the promotion of good behavior as it can for bad behavior. Holding people accountable and fully responsible for bad behavior is powerful motivation for people to abstain from bad behavior. When evil is exalted evil becomes rampant. When evil is demonized evil becomes rare.

Buying condoms for teenagers who are sexually immoral does nothing to encourage abstinence. Rather it supports their sexual immorality. Condoms are cheap and readily available. If sexually active teens wanted to use them they would buy them. They have them in men's restrooms all over the place and they are cheap. They are in every drug store and many department stores. They are not having sex without them because they are expensive or unavailable...so what is the purpose of passing them out at school?

Are they embarrassed to buy them at a drug store? Then why aren't they embarrassed to ask for them at school? They can purchase them at most gas stations in the restroom without any embarrassment at all. Is 50 cents or a dollar beyond their budget? They wear 100 dollar shoes, have cell phones, ipods, cars, bank accounts, jobs, video games, etc.  but they cannot afford to purchase a condom? Come on! Get real!

Godless outsiders are not only trying to indoctrinate our children with their godless immorality they are trying to force us into letting them teach it to our children and make us subsidize it, and we object. They are not your children, they're ours.

Godless outsiders are trying to promote, aid and abet teenage sex by giving them condoms and birth control without our approval and we object. They are our children, not yours.

Condoms are not safe no matter how many times you claim they are. Only asbstinence is 100% safe 100% of the time. Using condoms for sex is like playing Russian roulette. Keep playing and eventually you will reap the devastating consequences. To tell a child that condoms are safe is like telling a child an "unloaded" gun is safe. Condom promotion makes a child feel there will be no consequences if they are used consistently and anyone who is honest knows that ain't so. They leak, break and slip off. In spite of condom pusher's adamant assurances that condoms make sex safe they know they don't. It is a myth promoted by godless people who make up lies to win the argument. They really don't care about the tragic consequences of the lives of people who were destroyed because they foolshly believed them.

Untold numbers of unborn babies will be slaughtered because teens believed condoms are safe. Untold numbers of girls will become pregnant because they believed condoms are safe. Untold numbers of boys will get a girl pregnant because they were told condoms are safe.  Untold numbers of teens will get STD's because liars told them condoms make sex safe. But where will these condom pushing liars be when teens become victims of their lies...in their ivory towers spouting the same old crap.

Some condom pushers will give you a ride to a baby killing facility to help you murder your unborn child...that is what they do best...destroy people. Will they support your choice to raise your child...will they pay your rent, doctor bills, utilities, hospital bills, food, clothing, etc.? No, not personally. But they will make sure the government robs poor working slobs who are struggling to make a decent living and life for their own families. The elites don't want to personally pay for the consequences of their advise, they prefer to force others to do it.

Dr. Phil ought to be required by law to support every child conceived as a result of condom failure by those who believed his "condoms make sex safe" advise. He ought to pay all medical and hospital expenses of everyone who got an STD or AIDS as a result of condom failure. Step up to the plate Dr. Phil. Put you money where your mouth is. If someone believes you and starts having sex with condoms and the condom fails and they get pregnant or STD's you need to do the right thing and take full responsibility for your "expert" advise. 

What about the rest of you condom pushers? Are you gonna step up to the plate when people reap the devastating consequences of following your advise?

Abstinence pushers are willing to step up to the plate if anyone gets pregnant or an STD as a result of abstinence.

Condom pushers will never voluntarily step up to the plate and take full financial responsibility for the lives they devastate with their lies. They prefer to force everyone else to pay for the consequences of their advise.  Drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, sexual immorality, etc. They don't want moral people to tell anyone how to live. They fight to make sure everyone is free to do whatever is right in their own eyes and when the immoral reap the consequences of their immoral choices, they dump the burden on the hardworking middle class by increasing their taxes. It's risk free for the elite. It's a win-win for immoral people who do evil and only a lose-lose for moral, hard working, taxpaying families.

In my experience, Godly teens get pregnant as often as "unGodly?" teens.

March 2, 2008, 5:42 pm CST

Teens and PARENTS need sex ed.

I think that not only do the teens need sex education, but schools should have a meeting with parents as well. So many parents are blissfully ignorant about the facts that teens are having sex. They need to face that fact and they could probably use some helpful tips on how to approach their children.

If parents are afraid to talk to their children about sex, the children are going to be afraid to talk to their parents about sex.

March 2, 2008, 6:56 pm CST

COMING FROM A TEEN!

OKAY PARENTS...NO OFFENSE BUT SERIOUSLT GET REAL!!! DO YOU THINK THAT YOUR KIDS DONT HEAR ABOUT SEX ANYWAYS?!! ITS AT SCHOOL, IN THE MEDIA...ITS EVERYWHERE!!! I THINK ITS BETTER TO GET SEX EDUCATION FROM A PASTOR THAN ANYWHERE ELSE. TEENS ARE NOT GONNA LISTEN TO THERE PARENTS..SRY BUT THERE NOT! THEY ARE EITHER GONNA GET SEX EDUCATION  FROM A PASTOR/ SCHOOL OR FROM THERE FRIENDS.. WHICH DO YOU THINK IS THE BETTER CHOICE?! I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE THAT YOUR TEENS KNOW PRETTY MUCH ALL THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT SEX ANYWAYS.  i lost my virginty when i was 12..its not something im proud of...actually it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life! Honestly youre kids are probably gonna have sex...most teens do but whats really important is that they have enough education to make the right decision to be protected. also they need to know that they can come talk to you about sex...if they are having it or not. they shouldnt be scared that you will make them feel embarressed or ashamed!! that was a big issue for me! i never have told my mom about how i had sex...i was always to scared! Dont be the parent that your teen is afaid to some to! let them know that you will support them and love them no matter what!

March 2, 2008, 7:13 pm CST

Are you kidding (coming from a teen)

Seriously wake up and get real!! Go to any high shool in any state and you will find that at least 40 percent of the teenagers have sex! Godly or not! People need  to wake up and realize that no matter how many times you say be abstinent some teens are gonna have sex!! Now, you say condoms arent 100 percent affective and thats true but which is safer,  having unprotected sex or using a condom?! And seriously "godless outsiders"?? get real! they  are just trying to protect kids from getting pregnant and if the "godless outsiders" didnt give teens condoms i  promise you there would be a lot more pregnant teens. You can sit the on your high horse and think youre doing something good for your kids by saying all this but  YOURE NOT! the people giving out condoms are doing more good than you ever will! Oh and just cause a teen has sex doesnt make them godless....god forgives peoples sins f.y.i.!         I grew up in church and all my life i heard about abstinence but no one ever said anything about protection so when i was 12 i ended up losing my virginity ( which was the biggest mistake of  my life)  and i was unprotected.....thank god  i didnt get pregnant but there are alot of teens who do! The important thing is not to sit there and tell your kids not to have sex but for your kids to know how to be protected... and that they can talk to you and not feel ashamed of they are having sex. If not youre not helping them at all!

March 2, 2008, 7:18 pm CST

From a teen girl

Quote From: bashal

I am  nurse practitioner and believe in giving teens access to options that lower their risks of pregnancy and STIs. Although it would be nice for teens to abstain from sex until they are emotionally mature responsible adults, that is not the way the world works. I feel that teens deserve access to factual information, from persons who treat them with respect and are prepared to discuss their individual and collective issues in a non-judgemental manner. In my practice, I address risk reduction, health promotion, disease prevention and self-esteem. I try to be aware of the many factors that influence the sexual behaviour of teens and hope that I can give them the tools to work with, so that the decisions that they make will be less likely to cause harm. I am available and listen to their concerns. I know that people's choices are related to their values, so I try to listen to what things influence their decision making. I can't make them be safe, but I can try to help them by being someone they feel they can talk to, and someone who will respect them and be honest.  
 dont let anyone bring you down for that! i think that is the right thing to do and we need more people like you and less people that just sit on their high horse and say that teens just need to know about abstinence and nothing else!  i wish i would have had someone like you in my life. I know you must make a difference in so many teen girls lifes! good for you!

March 2, 2008, 7:53 pm CST

Question?

When evil is exalted evil becomes rampant. When evil is demonized evil becomes rare.

If this is true, then why are there STI's and pregnancies on many Christian campuses?  I mean, isn't making something taboo just enhancing it's appeal?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last