Message Boards

Topic : 03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 1865
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:14:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Should schools be allowed to pass out birth control to students? Should teens be forced to take vows of purity? Dr. Phil and Bishop T.D. Jakes, author of Reposition Yourself, tackle these and other controversial issues. First up, Ed is an abstinence educator who believes the only safe sex for teens is no sex. But 21-year-old Shelby calls Ed’s tactics “dangerous” and says kids need sex education in schools to stop teen pregnancy. Are abstinence-only programs effective? See what Dr. Phil and the Bishop think. Then, Lisette says if she had had access to birth control when she was 12 years old, she wouldn't have had a baby at 13. Is her school to blame for not handing out birth control? What’s right for your child? Plus, is it realistic for teens to live by purity pledges until they get married? A sexually active 14-year-old and an 18-year-old virgin face off on this touchy topic. And, another issue making the headlines is: Should pregnant teens be given maternity leave? Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB-GYN and member of The Doctors, shares her views, join the discussion and share your views too!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 4, 2008, 10:05 am CDT

03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: kathleen27

I have never waivered in my support for sex ed.  I am very upset with the upcoming election.  I wanted Hillary.  When Obama got in, I sort of joined the Democrats for McCain movement.  So really, I oppose Obama...think he has very questionable ties and unseemly companions.  His tax proposals are nightmareish...so being now, a McCain supporter, I only wished he'd taken on Joe Lieberman as VP.  Sarah Palin did an excellent job last night at the convention.  Still, she was oppositional to any education but abstinance in Alaska, and now her daughter is being flaunted by the media.  Think she may revisit her own issues with no sex ed after this?  I feel we need a VP without as much as a pimple to get away from Obama, a man I truly fear.  Had we a Hillary/Lieberman ticket, I'd feel very sorry for Bristol, but I wouldn't even be watching these conventions...one thing Palin DID say that impressed me...special needs children will have a friend in the White House...that would be nice.

When you sort of get "blasted" out of your party, it can sound contradictory...I want Hillary.  I don't want Obama.  So, I want McCain to be a strong as he can, I need to focus on his finer points, and stop my whining over Hillary's defeat, which was NOT easy!  I'm a fish out of water because of Mr. Obama..gotta thank him for messing with my head.  I feel like Lieberman and Guiliani hopping over party lines...and truly, I am an independent, but this is NOT the year to cast a 'protest" vote...way too serious, so no write-in-Hillary for me...just very edgy.

Okay....I am not going to get into the politics thing because a) we seldom change anyone's mind and b) it isn't really the topic of this board.

I understand your point and glad you are not buying any party line completely...I am always disturbed by people who have to buy into or rationalize anything and everything their chosen party stands for....on either side.

September 4, 2008, 12:45 pm CDT

Agreed

Quote From: julie1418

Okay....I am not going to get into the politics thing because a) we seldom change anyone's mind and b) it isn't really the topic of this board.

I understand your point and glad you are not buying any party line completely...I am always disturbed by people who have to buy into or rationalize anything and everything their chosen party stands for....on either side.

The politics is ultra complex, and no I don't buy totally into anything...except for issues like the need for sex-ed in schools.  That is something we can control.  Provide the info, bring in abstinance as an alternative, but face reality!  There is so much we cannot even begin to choose for ourselves...politics has too many faces, and the biggest issues now are to pressing and too depressing to sum up in a few debates...

I only brought up Sarah Palin as an example of what ABSTINANCE only doesn't accomplish...

One poster said that this girl is pregnant because she had sex.  She's pregnant because she had unprotected sex. 

This has been my argument all along...you cannot stop it, so why not teach teens the way to have if...if they choose to do so...this only highlights that Bristol made a decision contrary to her mother's beliefs...not surprising, as most teens do not always follow ANY parents' belief, so why not support the program, do your best at home, just try to avoid teen pregnancy and the possible diseases that can go with  having sex.

This is just my opinion as a mother, nothing political...those two kids should not be getting married this young, and 17 is much too young to have a child. 

I also have said that religous beliefs and politics do not mix...what gives one religion the rights over all others because of an elected official religious affilliation?  So the laws can change every 4 to 8 years? 

Again, my personal opinion, politics should handle taxes, the economy, foreign affairs, National security, Social programs,  Natural disaster relief, aid to foreign countries...think that's enough?   Churches are for spiritual guidance, and schools are to educate.

September 4, 2008, 2:36 pm CDT

Quote From: kathleen27

The politics is ultra complex, and no I don't buy totally into anything...except for issues like the need for sex-ed in schools.  That is something we can control.  Provide the info, bring in abstinance as an alternative, but face reality!  There is so much we cannot even begin to choose for ourselves...politics has too many faces, and the biggest issues now are to pressing and too depressing to sum up in a few debates...

I only brought up Sarah Palin as an example of what ABSTINANCE only doesn't accomplish...

One poster said that this girl is pregnant because she had sex.  She's pregnant because she had unprotected sex. 

This has been my argument all along...you cannot stop it, so why not teach teens the way to have if...if they choose to do so...this only highlights that Bristol made a decision contrary to her mother's beliefs...not surprising, as most teens do not always follow ANY parents' belief, so why not support the program, do your best at home, just try to avoid teen pregnancy and the possible diseases that can go with  having sex.

This is just my opinion as a mother, nothing political...those two kids should not be getting married this young, and 17 is much too young to have a child. 

I also have said that religous beliefs and politics do not mix...what gives one religion the rights over all others because of an elected official religious affilliation?  So the laws can change every 4 to 8 years? 

Again, my personal opinion, politics should handle taxes, the economy, foreign affairs, National security, Social programs,  Natural disaster relief, aid to foreign countries...think that's enough?   Churches are for spiritual guidance, and schools are to educate.

I absolutely agree...that is why Palin scares me....not because her daughter got pregnant...but because of her postions...and because she is the darling of the religious wrong.

September 4, 2008, 2:50 pm CDT

From the Family Research Council...

http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=PV07E01

With lives at stake, abstinence programs face the challenge of improving the services they deliver, and fortunately most have done so. A recent HHS-sponsored conference in Baltimore unveiled evidence from more than two dozen studies that such programs produce significant results in adolescent behavioral outcomes. The truth is, programs that are more intensive, that are genuinely comprehensive (that is, they address the need for risk elimination across a range of behaviors, including alcohol, tobacco, drug abuse, and violence prevention), are showing real benefit. Moreover, it is crucial for risk elimination programs that they not "give up" on kids and discount them as forever prone to high-risk behaviors. Older teens need powerful reinforcing messages whether or not they have experimented with drugs, tobacco, or sex. Youth who respond to reinforcement are often the most effective peer educators of all.

One example of intensive programming is Best Friends in Washington, D.C. An independent study of this program was published in the peer-reviewed journal Adolescent and Family Health in 2005. The young women who participate in the program are called "Diamond Girls," and they hail from some of the District's toughest wards. Study author Robert Lerner Ph.D. found that the Diamond Girls "are substantially less likely to smoke, drink, take illegal drugs, and have sex than a comparable sample" of youth in the Centers for Disease Control's surveys.

Lerner goes on to say that the finding that Diamond Girls are 120 times more likely to abstain from sex than their peers "is a result so strong that it is unheard of in practically any empirical research." Programs like Best Friends are succeeding because they aim high and sell no one short. Apparently, this message is getting through more broadly, as macro U.S. statistics have shown steady increases in the proportion of teens practicing abstinence and decreases in teenage pregnancy and abortions.

Congress should take note. It's time to take the sexual revolution head on and to redress the terrific damage it continues to do to boys and girls. It's time to give today's wise and effective abstinence programs more funding, not less.

September 4, 2008, 4:02 pm CDT

Quote From: kustomlady

From the Family Research Council...

http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=PV07E01

With lives at stake, abstinence programs face the challenge of improving the services they deliver, and fortunately most have done so. A recent HHS-sponsored conference in Baltimore unveiled evidence from more than two dozen studies that such programs produce significant results in adolescent behavioral outcomes. The truth is, programs that are more intensive, that are genuinely comprehensive (that is, they address the need for risk elimination across a range of behaviors, including alcohol, tobacco, drug abuse, and violence prevention), are showing real benefit. Moreover, it is crucial for risk elimination programs that they not "give up" on kids and discount them as forever prone to high-risk behaviors. Older teens need powerful reinforcing messages whether or not they have experimented with drugs, tobacco, or sex. Youth who respond to reinforcement are often the most effective peer educators of all.

One example of intensive programming is Best Friends in Washington, D.C. An independent study of this program was published in the peer-reviewed journal Adolescent and Family Health in 2005. The young women who participate in the program are called "Diamond Girls," and they hail from some of the District's toughest wards. Study author Robert Lerner Ph.D. found that the Diamond Girls "are substantially less likely to smoke, drink, take illegal drugs, and have sex than a comparable sample" of youth in the Centers for Disease Control's surveys.

Lerner goes on to say that the finding that Diamond Girls are 120 times more likely to abstain from sex than their peers "is a result so strong that it is unheard of in practically any empirical research." Programs like Best Friends are succeeding because they aim high and sell no one short. Apparently, this message is getting through more broadly, as macro U.S. statistics have shown steady increases in the proportion of teens practicing abstinence and decreases in teenage pregnancy and abortions.

Congress should take note. It's time to take the sexual revolution head on and to redress the terrific damage it continues to do to boys and girls. It's time to give today's wise and effective abstinence programs more funding, not less.

Oddly enough, this peer reviewed research is not available....it might be available for a fee...you have to subscribe. Once again you are posting "research" you haven't even seen.

September 5, 2008, 7:36 am CDT

Prominent Psychiatrist: "No Particular Need for Sex-Education"

Commentary by Dr. Philip Ney

OTTAWA, September 4, 2008 (LifeSitenews.com) - I am a retired professor of psychiatry, having taught in 5 universities in different parts of Canada, Hong Kong and New Zealand.  I have also run child and adolescent psychiatric units.  I have been on school boards.  It is from a review of the literature and from my experience that I write this brief opinion.

1) There is no particular need for "sex education."  For many centuries there was no sex education, yet children were conceived and their parents enjoyed the process.  Discovery of each other and what is pleasant in bed, on the wedding night and thereafter, is an important part of the exciting and unique pleasure that bonds the couple.

2) Sex education inhibits pair bonding. To educate young people about something that comes naturally robs them of the spontaneity and joy of sex that is vitally important for pair bonding and thus family stability.

3) The more sex education, the more sexual self-consciousness.  There is substantial evidence that the more sex education, especially on technique, the more the couple is sexually inhibited.  The greater the emphasis on sexual performance, the less communication and interpersonal intimacy there is.

4) The more sex education, the more sexual activity. It is quite conclusive now, that the more sex education, the more sexual activity and all the problems that go with that.  The introduction of sex education is well correlated with the increase in abortion, STDs and boy-girl interpersonal problems. Good education gives people the desire to try it out or learn more experientially.  Paradoxically, in that respect, current forms of sex education are good education but have the wrong results.

5) The earlier the sex education, the younger children explore sex and try various sexual techniques. Present evidence makes it possible to also conclude that the earlier the sex education, the earlier the sexual behavior. Thus sexual education is sexual titillation.

6) In preventing disease and pregnancy, sex education has been a failure. Sex education has had the opposite effect in preventing young people from engaging in "risky sexual behavior."

7) The idea of "safe sex" has failed.  Frightening children with the dangers of "unprotected sex", drugs, fast driving, alcohol, etc. for many children has the paradoxical effect of increasing their interest in trying it.

8) The reliance on condoms has been dangerously misleading.  There are sexually transmitted diseases (eg. Human Papilloma Virus) for which condoms offer no protection.  The most effective use of the best condoms offers 87% protection from lethal HIV, transmitted by anal intercourse.  Condom use has failed particularly in Africa.  Condom use creates the false impression of safety, thus encouraging sex, when there is a 13% (at least) chance of dying as a result.

9) There is nothing in sex education that cannot be part of a more effective general health education.  Everything of value in sex education can be integrated with the necessary knowledge of how the body and mind work. We found that by using the young person's curiosity and letting them discover how their heart, lungs etc. work, gives them a natural desire to protect something very precious - their body and mind.

10) The sex industry profits from sex education. There is an enormous sex industry that financially profits from natural biological drives and makes billions on fashions, condoms, contraceptives, etc. It is understandable they contribute to the sex problems.

11) Sex education creates mind absorbing conflicts and preoccupations.  Exposing children to sexual titillation (sex education) creates conflicts and preoccupations that interfere with their mental health, education and personal development.

12) Sex education tends to result in mental images that interfere with the appreciation of nature and art.

13) No sex education teaches the beauty and hazards of pair bonding.  To my knowledge there is no sex education program that informs kids about inadvertent pair bonding.  Humans are made one flesh through sex.  Thus many kinds of sexual behaviour create life long pair bonds.  These interfere with the intimacy and durability of a later committed marriage.  Statistics indicate that the more "premarital" sex the more extramarital sex.

14) Many kinds of sex education, including "chastity" education, leave a young person with the impression that any kind of sex except vaginal intercourse is okay when it is not.

To visit Dr. Ney's website:
http://www.messengers2.com

September 5, 2008, 1:31 pm CDT

This is why they don't mix

Quote From: julie1418

I absolutely agree...that is why Palin scares me....not because her daughter got pregnant...but because of her postions...and because she is the darling of the religious wrong.

I'm not against Bristol at all..in fact, I feel sorry for her.  What a way to be introduced!  I support Sarah Palin's CHOICE to have her baby.  Key word...choice.

This stinks when you have to vote with FEAR...you vote against, not for.  I fear Obama. 

Even Cindy McCain said publically that she does not agree with Palin's hard line on abortion.  I respect a lot of what Palin is saying, and I respect her doing what is right for her.  I only wish she could respect the fact that others do not share her religious beliefs. 

I shutter to think, in this world religion could decide the next president. 

September 6, 2008, 7:20 am CDT

First of we don't know how she got pregnant??? Did she use a condom and it broke? was the condom in his back pocket and not used? Did they just  think like alot of kids and thought it wouldn't happen to them?

Teen pregnancy is up with all that they have at their finger tips to insure that they don't get pregnant. If it was not taught at school, well it all over the tv. and in the shows they watch and in the movies they watch. it out there and they are not listening.  They are not scared of aids and they are not scared of getting pregnant. they see the stars living with aids for years, and the stars having babys and movies like Juno.

September 27, 2008, 12:12 pm CDT

Good News: Poll Shows Sex within Marriage is Fulfilling http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000008266.cfm About 88 percent of married Americans say they are happy or reasonably content in their marriages. And three-quarters report that their sex lives are reasonably fulfilling.

That's according to a new national poll of 1,001 married Americans commissioned by Parade magazine.

"Hollywood spins the constant fiction that romance and sex are fulfilling only outside of marriage, but the facts support just the opposite — marriage is the source of relationship fulfillment," said Jenny Tyree, marriage analyst for Focus on the Family Action. "We were designed for deep, relational intimacy, and it makes sense that the stronger our commitment, the greater capacity for emotional and physical intimacy."

The respondents also gave positive explanations for why they have stayed married, with 71 percent choosing "deep love" as a reason and 73 percent citing "companionship."

FOR MORE INFORMATION
What is God's purpose and design for human sexuality?

October 7, 2008, 5:03 am CDT

Good day everyone!

Family Structure Matters to Behavior in School
http://ncfamily.org/stories/081006s1.html
Special Report - October 6, 2008
Adolescents who live in an intact married family are less likely to be suspended or expelled from school than adolescents from non-intact families, according to a recent report from the Mapping America Project of the Family Research Council (FRC). The findings are based on data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Waves 1 and 2), a large national survey of 16,000 students in grade seven through 12. Pat Fagan, director of FRC’s Center for Family and Religion, compared adolescents in the survey from intact-married families to adolescents in non-intact families (single, never married, divorced, stepparent, cohabiting). According to the findings: only 20 percent of adolescents who live with their married biological parents have ever been suspended or expelled from school, compared to 50 percent of adolescents living with a single, never married parent; 34.3 percent of students who live with two biological cohabiting parents; 35.9 percent of adolescents who live with a stepparent; 37 percent of adolescents who live with divorced parents; and 40.8 percent of adolescents who live with one parent who is cohabiting with a partner. The FRC report notes that other previous studies have reached similar conclusions regarding family structure and adolescent behavior at school, including one study by John Hoffman of Brigham Young University that found that adolescents living with both biological parents were less likely to engage in “problem behaviors” at school (such as fighting or being arrested) than adolescents from “any other family structure.”

“This study is the latest confirmation of a simple truth—children do best when raised in intact married families,” said Matt Lytle, director of research for the North Carolina Family Policy Council. “We hear a lot today about what can be done to help students stay in school and make it to graduation without dropping out or being expelled. If we want our children to succeed in school, we need to do all we can to ensure that they grow up in healthy families with their married mother and father.”

First | Prev | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | Next | Last