Message Boards

Topic : 03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 1865
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:14:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Should schools be allowed to pass out birth control to students? Should teens be forced to take vows of purity? Dr. Phil and Bishop T.D. Jakes, author of Reposition Yourself, tackle these and other controversial issues. First up, Ed is an abstinence educator who believes the only safe sex for teens is no sex. But 21-year-old Shelby calls Ed’s tactics “dangerous” and says kids need sex education in schools to stop teen pregnancy. Are abstinence-only programs effective? See what Dr. Phil and the Bishop think. Then, Lisette says if she had had access to birth control when she was 12 years old, she wouldn't have had a baby at 13. Is her school to blame for not handing out birth control? What’s right for your child? Plus, is it realistic for teens to live by purity pledges until they get married? A sexually active 14-year-old and an 18-year-old virgin face off on this touchy topic. And, another issue making the headlines is: Should pregnant teens be given maternity leave? Dr. Lisa Masterson, an OB-GYN and member of The Doctors, shares her views, join the discussion and share your views too!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 7, 2008, 5:20 am CDT

03/03 Teens and Sex with Bishop T.D. Jakes

Good News: Congress Renews Federal Funding for Abstinence Education  http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000008353.cfm

The U.S. Senate passed a bill Saturday that extends Community-Based Abstinence Education (CBAE) through September 2009.

Recipients of CBAE funds — the largest funding stream for abstinence education — include pregnancy centers throughout the country and charitable organizations.

Ashley Horne, federal policy analyst for Focus on the Family Action, said this is good news for U.S. students.

"We are pleased that the abstinence-until-marriage funding remains in place through next September, but we understand that the work to keep the funding in place will continue with a new Congress," she said.

The U.S. House passed the bill last week. It now goes to the president.

— Devon Williams

December 3, 2008, 6:08 am CST

Adolescents from intact families are less likely to be sexually active than their peers, according to a recent study by The Heritage Foundation. They tend to delay sexual activity longer, have fewer sexual partners and are less likely to have a sexually transmitted infection.

Robert Rector, senior research fellow for The Heritage Foundation, said healthy families also yield other benefits.

"Young people who are raised by a married, biological mother and father do  better in life, from delaying sexual activity to being more likely to have successful marriages themselves, avoiding crime, graduating from college," he told Family News in Focus.

Fathers are the key, according to Pam Mullarkey, founder and co-director of Florida-based Project SOS (Strengthening Our Students, Empowering Parents).

“We have done nothing but make fun of dads in the media," she said. "We’ve done a tremendous disservice to our children, especially our males. 

"We deal with a lot of juvenile delinquents, and about 98 percent have no dads in their homes. They’re dying for dads."

http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000008794.cfm

December 22, 2008, 3:25 pm CST

How PP's new 25-year plan, Vision 2025, exposes the true nature of the organization

Summary

http://www.stopp.org/hoax.htm

This summary is meant to offer a brief comment on each of PP's 10 goals in its 25-year plan. Further details can be found in STOPP's complete analysis. Each section heading in this summary links to the corresponding detailed discussion item in the full document.

1. Planned Parenthood will ensure that sexuality is understood as an essential, lifelong aspect of being human and that it is celebrated with respect, openness, and mutuality.

Although PP proclaims itself as a "health care" organization, it doesn't see a cure for cervical cancer, or stopping the spread of pelvic inflammatory disease or chlamydia as its number one goal. Rather, it will focus on making sure that sex is celebrated! Thus PP's #1 goal is the same as its founder's (Margaret Sanger) #1 goal in 1916 - uninhibited sex.

2. Planned Parenthood will ensure access to reproductive and sexual health care for all.

The only specific example given by PP is: "We will push the edge for universal access to birth control." Thus, PP's 2nd goal is the same as Sanger's #2 goal - birth control. But where is the health care?

3. Planned Parenthood will secure passage of laws and policies, including state and federal constitutional amendments, that guarantee reproductive freedom for all.

This sounds like a goal of a political lobbying group - not a so-called health organization. Of course, "reproductive freedom" is Planned Parenthood's code word for abortion. PP, just like Sanger, includes abortion as a method of birth control.

4. Planned Parenthood will ensure worldwide implementation of a human rights and well-being agenda as currently expressed in the Cairo Agreement, with the U.S. fulfilling its financial commitment and implementing those principles in the U.S.

The United Nations' International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD), which was held in Cairo, Egypt in 1994, was widely considered a watershed event. The program's acknowledgment that legal abortion could be part of health care was a major coup for PP. It was the first time abortion was written positively into international documents. It is no wonder PP wants it moved forward with U.S. taxpayer money.

5. Planned Parenthood will control a successful, diversified media company that creates and distributes the most popular, critically acclaimed health and sexuality programming.

With PP in complete control of the production of the media message and the distribution of the message (without censors), we can expect a glut of very graphic sexual images that PP tries to convince everyone is just "health education," but what will be material that robs our children of their innocence.

6. Planned Parenthood will be the model for embracing diversity and expanding the decision-making power base of its stakeholders.

A "diverse" community is desired by PP as long as all of the "diverse" people are willing to follow Sanger's legacy and have no recognition of any absolute moral authority. Throughout this entire plan God is not mentioned once. PP's rejection of Christian values is illustrated in its "Choice on Earth" holiday card.

7. Planned Parenthood will be a significant catalyst for the development and universal dissemination of new reproductive technologies.

None of the products Planned Parenthood will be bringing to us are intended to treat a woman whose body is malfunctioning. All of them have the intention of taking a woman whose body is operating in a perfectly normal manner and make it operate abnormal. This is a strange concept of health care.

8. Planned Parenthood will be an authoritative voice on bioethical standards related to reproductive health and sexuality.

PP has shown its intent with regard to biotechnology. It has issued press releases supporting the use of embryonic stem cells (whose harvesting always kills a human being) and its web site shows a widespread use of terms (e.g. pre-embryo and fertilized egg) that are meant to dehumanize the human being created at fertilization and set the ground for all kinds of utilitarian experimentation. If PP is allowed to be the "authoritative voice," then bioethical standards will result in more deaths and total disregard for the sanctity of human life.

9. Planned Parenthood will build the largest donor and citizen activist base of any social movement in this country.

Note, PP did NOT say that it wanted to build the largest donor and citizen activist base of any health care organization in the country. Instead, it proudly labeled its efforts as that of a social movement. Anyone who can read this plan and still maintain that PP is a about health care simply did not understand what's written.

10. Planned Parenthood will be acknowledged as one of the 10 best places to work and volunteer.

Planned Parenthood acknowledges it has employee morale problems as it states in the document: "we have often struggled to attract and sustain the workforce we need to serve our clients and other stakeholders." True health care organizations can offer their employees the knowledge that they are offering their patients services that will restore their health and better their lives. But, as this plan shows, PP is NOT a health care organization and cannot offer its employees any such comfort.

Conclusion: Throughout this entire 25-year plan, this supposed health care organization does not mention the word "patient" even once. If you disregard everything else presented here, this one fact should tell you all you need to know about Planned Parenthood.

February 3, 2009, 5:45 am CST

LOS ANGELES, February 2, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) -Actor Gary Graham knew that by writing about his personal experience and rejection of abortion, he would be incurring the ire of not a few among the Hollywood elite.

Yet a blog column posted last Tuesday by the seasoned actor, known most recently for his roles as Ambassador Soval in the TV series "Star Trek: Enterprise" and Capt. Ingles on "J.A.G.", took an unflinching look at truths almost entirely ignored by those in the Hollywood establishment.

"I’m going to say what millions know in the front of their brains, and many, many more millions know in the depths of their hearts … but won’t allow themselves to think it, much less feel it," wrote Graham.  "And believe me, I know I’ll be hated for saying it, I’ll be hated by people who don’t know me, have never worked with me, have never golfed with me, had a drink with me.

"I’m going to say it anyway: Abortion is murder."

Graham described the irresponsibility of his youth that made abortion the convenient option for a drug-fueled, “free-love” lifestyle. He confessed to having paid for multiple abortions for girlfriends, observing that abortion “sure took the pressure off of me, a guy, interested in sex who had been raised in the era of, ‘Hey, you get a girl pregnant, you marry her!’” But then, he says, a "spiritual awakening" brought him to a "tearful epiphany of what it meant for a man to be with a woman, what sex was really designed for by our Creator and … what abortion is.

"I truly wish that I had had this conviction way back when…when I was only concerned about my selfish convenience of the day," wrote Graham.  "But I didn’t want to know, I didn’t want to think about it. It was inconvenient to think about it."

He noted that the widespread acceptance of abortion "says volumes of how our entire culture has been coarsened," and "How life itself has been cheapened.”

"We are told to have sex any time we feel the urge.  Condoms are handed out in grade schools. Promiscuity is not only condoned, it’s tacitly encouraged ... But if you should get pregnant and it’s just not a ‘convenient’ time for you, don’t worry, there are Family Planning Services. ... That inconvenient fetus can be surgically ripped from its uterine moorings, ground up and tossed into the trash like so much garbage.

"Problem solved, and the mother can resume her egocentric lifestyle.  But the scars on that woman’s soul will never quite heal. I’m a man, but I’ve got them on mine."

Responding to those who call for abortion to be "legal but rare," Graham asked, "Why rare?

"What’s wrong with abortion, that you think it should be a rare occurrence? I’ve had moles removed from my skin. Doctors don’t tell us that a mole removal should be rare. So what’s with this ‘rare’ business? Or is it a tacit agreement that abortion … is plain wrong?

"Try this exercise: Every time you hear someone use the phrase '…a woman’s right to choose…' mentally complete the phrase with the following words – '…to kill her baby.'  That’s what the argument’s about.  A woman’s right to kill her baby."

February 23, 2009, 3:18 am CST

Pro education

I'm a parent and what I most want for my children is for them to enjoy all stages of their life to the fullest. Childhood is a very important stage because once it's gone... it's gone. The teenage years are supposed to be a transitioning period from childhood to adulthood so there is the question then of at what age it's appropriate for people to have sex. I was sixteen and I was with that guy for four years and split up to leave for University. I think I would have always regretted it if I hadn't shared that with him. For each person the choice must be a personal one. I think the idea of abstinence until marriage is a religious one and for that reason should not be taught in school. (On a side note I think praying in school is fine. Everyone should be free to worship in their own way wherever they want. But when it comes to education it should be more worldly and suited to people of all faiths.) More than an age ideal I have a self respect ideal for my children. I want their choice when they make it to be out of love and a desire to share the experience with a person deserving of them, not out of a need to feel loved or keep a relationship going.  

Having said all that I would like to ad that Ed creeps me out. He talked about wanting to protect young girls from getting hurt emotionally. As a once young girl I would like to tell him to stop advocating for us. He's disgustingly sexist. This double standard about a female sexual behaviour verses a man's is really disturbing and while it is not Ed's main agenda I certainly found it coming out very loud from the undertones. He defends himself by saying it's not him it's how boys are. Well if he feels that way and is worried about the emotional devastation it will have on girls then he should deal with that injustice rather than use it as a way to suppress young girls. I feel sorry for his wife. 20 years, he said. Poor her.  

First | Prev | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | Next Page | Last Page