Message Boards

Topic : 03/04 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement, Part 3

Number of Replies: 53
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:16:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Four engaged couples have been living in The Dr. Phil House to determine whether or not to marry. The last day approaches as the couples are put to one more test. Dr. Phil gives one person from each pair a "bump in the road" to see how their partner responds to an unfortunate turn of events. Donning a pregnancy suit, Lacey surprises Kalin with the news that she’s pregnant with someone else’s child. Steve is made to look older and obese. Lisa loses her good looks as she’s made to look like she’s living on the streets. And, Tim is in a wheelchair and tells Lilly he won’t be able to take care of her like he used to. Don’t miss the surprising – and not so surprising – reactions. Then, in a final meeting, the couples learn what Dr. Phil thinks are their biggest challenges as partners. Find out who has the hardest time with Dr. Phil’s relationship diagnosis and leaves the room in tears. Finally, Dr. Phil reveals some amazing prizes for the winners of the teamwork challenge. As some rejoice, others don’t handle the disappointment well. Plus, Dr. Phil gives an update on his guests since they’ve left The House. Are they all still headed for the altar? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 4, 2008, 10:04 pm CST

03/04 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement, Part 3

Funny thing for me, the only couple I saw making it was the youngest, they seemed to be taking the opportunity seriously.

March 5, 2008, 1:26 am CST

prizes

I don't think the prizes at the end were fare. The younger couple should have received a car, or aleast set them up for the baby. I feel for steve he did get short changed, first by his bride to be, and then the prizes.

March 5, 2008, 3:20 am CST

spoiled and entitled

Quote From: ms60_me

I watched Dr. Phil's House today, partly because of curiousity and partly because my spouse was interested in this topic.  I found Steve's attitude, rather immature, emotionally immature because the other two couples had won cars and spa treatment.  He says he gets very competitive and angry and couldn't tell a producer why.  I wanted to tell him to grow up!  At least the 'Princess' had the maturity to appreciate having been a part of Dr. Phil's house and what she'd learned while being there.

Quite frankly, I didn't see why those couples should have been given cars in the first place.  And for whatever reason, Steve and Stephanie were given a prize too, the spa vacation.  Did I miss something, or were Lilly and Tim given nothing?  The only "prize" that would have made sense to give would have been to provide them with things for the baby (ie. clothing, diapers, stroller, crib, carseat etc.)

And the idea of an adult male practically throwing a tantrum because he didn't win a car?   He had already been handed an undeserved spa vacation for nothing,  how spoiled can you get???   The sense of entitlement of some people is getting tiresome.

March 5, 2008, 3:27 am CST

partially agree with what you are saying

Quote From: makason

Sorry to say I don't buy it, the white picket fence in a perfect relationship with no stress or tention not believable.  Even Bill Gates has problems...not buying it in the least.
While that poster did paint a rosy picture of her marriage, I didn't see where she said it was perfect with no stress or problems.  I think she just focused on all the positives in her marriage.  I too am in a long-lasting and good marriage with a wonderful guy and do agree with you that even great marriages are not immune from the stresses that come as a part of life. 

March 5, 2008, 4:03 am CST

Well, I watched all three episodes of this "Dr. Phil" house and thought that progress was made in each relationship, but I have to say this:

Princess Stephanie & Steve may have benefitted from this experience but, I highly doubt it.  As we saw at the end, Steve pulled a hissy fit over the fact that two couples won a car and he didn't.  So, what was his real reason for being there?  I thought it was to get help, but obviously it was for all of the gifts he could receive.  I guess the spa retreat, with the love of his life, was nothing to him, as all he could see was he didn't win a car and went off and pouted, calling the show "The biggest loser".

It was so obvious at that point that he wasn't there for the help in the relationship or any "growing or healing experiences" but for what material and monetary prizes he could bring home ~ how sad is that?  I thought the help alone was great and he goes off and pouts because he didn't win a car!  So selfish and ungrateful and we saw those true colors shine though on televison, he should be proud of himself.

March 5, 2008, 7:22 am CST

Do not like

I am upset about the show where you put the man in a wheelchair .

I am in a wheelchair and i don't believe in playing like that.

March 5, 2008, 8:10 am CST

agree, melisa5

Quote From: melisa5

I am upset about the show where you put the man in a wheelchair .

I am in a wheelchair and i don't believe in playing like that.

meilsa5 I absolutely agree with you.  I feel that it was in very bad taste to do that on the show. Furthermore I don't see any purpose to that or any of the other fake scenarios.  How can anyone who is pretending really know what a situation is like in real life?

March 5, 2008, 8:26 am CST

Are prizes appropriate?

I was a little bummed when Dr. Phil started handing out prizes. Seemed inappropriate to me. First of all the wanna-be rocker admitted to cheating on his answers to the first quiz by writing down two answers then showing the "winner." For this he wins a car? What is the message to the group? "Some things in life just aren't fair. Get used to it." While Steve's reaction was extreme, I must admit my response was, "hunh?"

The young couple certainly needed the $20,000 they "won" from the financial adviser. But why make it a prize? In fact, why make any of them prizes?

The competition took time and focus away from their real issues. Sure, it did highlight some weaknesses in a more-or-less entertaining fashion: the cheaters cheated, the pouters pouted, the young looked clueless. But was this the best way to get them to see how each contributes to the problems in their relationships?

March 5, 2008, 8:35 am CST

Quote From: jdillner

Whether or not these people get married, and beyond that have successful marriages is of no interest at all to me.  They're living together, they're enjoying all the benefits of marriage, why should they get married?  They are living what many would consider an immoral lifestyle, so why should we worry about their marriages failing if they do get married? 

EVERYBODY LIVES AN IMMORAL LIFE THESE DAY. OBSERVATION IS POWER, JUDGEMENT IS WEAKNESS.

March 5, 2008, 9:39 am CST

staying together

I watched the show and when the couple  that the husband was in a wheel chair came on I sat up.  This happened to my husband and I.  It was not an auto accident but a disabling disease.  My husband has ALS.  He went from a very hard working healthy man and in 2 years is now unable to do anything for himself.  I have to do everything for him.  He can't even scratch his own nose.  In the 4 years since the onset of ALS, I have never once thought of leaving him because it was to hard.  Believe me it is hard, but so is marriage.  If you are not friends first and have a respect for each other you will never have the type of relationship that you would need to keep going when something like this happens to you. We never thought it would happen to us.  We had a great life.  Then we had to move from our home of 28 years.  A home we worked hard at to make it what we wanted. We had to quit our jobs ,sell our cars.  Our whole life was turned upside down. 

My thoughts are that I don't think any one of those couples could stay together if this would have happened to them.  Not one of those couples should get married. They could never deal with real life.  It is so sad that couples do not try anymore.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last