Message Boards

Topic : 03/04 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement, Part 3

Number of Replies: 53
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:16:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Four engaged couples have been living in The Dr. Phil House to determine whether or not to marry. The last day approaches as the couples are put to one more test. Dr. Phil gives one person from each pair a "bump in the road" to see how their partner responds to an unfortunate turn of events. Donning a pregnancy suit, Lacey surprises Kalin with the news that she’s pregnant with someone else’s child. Steve is made to look older and obese. Lisa loses her good looks as she’s made to look like she’s living on the streets. And, Tim is in a wheelchair and tells Lilly he won’t be able to take care of her like he used to. Don’t miss the surprising – and not so surprising – reactions. Then, in a final meeting, the couples learn what Dr. Phil thinks are their biggest challenges as partners. Find out who has the hardest time with Dr. Phil’s relationship diagnosis and leaves the room in tears. Finally, Dr. Phil reveals some amazing prizes for the winners of the teamwork challenge. As some rejoice, others don’t handle the disappointment well. Plus, Dr. Phil gives an update on his guests since they’ve left The House. Are they all still headed for the altar? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 5, 2008, 9:45 am CST

speak for yourself only please

Quote From: tearzalee

EVERYBODY LIVES AN IMMORAL LIFE THESE DAY. OBSERVATION IS POWER, JUDGEMENT IS WEAKNESS.
I beg to dffer; not everyone leads an immoral lifestyle these days.  So please speak for yourself only.

March 5, 2008, 10:10 am CST

19-year old kids having a kid....

I thought it was a good idea to have the 19-year old couple in the Dr. Phil house. There are many people that age in the same situation in my community. (sad, I know!) However, I couldn't beleive it when the couple felt that their situation is no where near "as bad" as the other couples. I was yelling so loud hoping  he would hear me say..."HELLO! WAKE UP! YOU CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THESE OTHER COUPLES IN WHAT TO AVOID. YOUR A BABY AND YOU BETTER GROW UP FAST BEFORE YOUR REAL BABY GETS HERE"!!!!!!! (of course - all said before Dr. Phil revealed that they did have the baby) I felt that the girl acted pretty shady at first when she saw her boyfriend in the wheelchair. You better bet your a** if that were my husband I'd accept him with open arms. NO questions asked!!!!!

I also have a hard time beleiveing that Princess Stephanie has changed. However, I do not know her or walk in her golden slippers.  Her man is a VERY good person and deserves the best..... whatever he may feel that this is....

March 5, 2008, 11:52 am CST

Lacey/Kailin

Quote From: wonderwomanvt

Lacey should run and not look back. Once a cheater always a cheater. When things go wrong, these kind of men always run away. They are too interested in themselves to care about another person.

No relationship exists if it's not based on love, trust, faithfulness,integrity, or honor.

Run, Lacey, run as far and as fast as possible.

Just one 'lil question...Who'll get the car they won if/when they break up?   I can't understand why she insists on being with him.  Maybe they'll have a follow-up and we'll see. 

March 5, 2008, 12:09 pm CST

03/04 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement, Part 3

I too did not understand why no gift was given to the young couple...they seem much more mature than the other 3 couples and seemed to have a better handle on what lies ahead for them...some gifts for the baby would have been nice...diapers, etc.  didn't seem quite fair

March 5, 2008, 2:03 pm CST

I agree

Quote From: slkunka

I watched the show and when the couple  that the husband was in a wheel chair came on I sat up.  This happened to my husband and I.  It was not an auto accident but a disabling disease.  My husband has ALS.  He went from a very hard working healthy man and in 2 years is now unable to do anything for himself.  I have to do everything for him.  He can't even scratch his own nose.  In the 4 years since the onset of ALS, I have never once thought of leaving him because it was to hard.  Believe me it is hard, but so is marriage.  If you are not friends first and have a respect for each other you will never have the type of relationship that you would need to keep going when something like this happens to you. We never thought it would happen to us.  We had a great life.  Then we had to move from our home of 28 years.  A home we worked hard at to make it what we wanted. We had to quit our jobs ,sell our cars.  Our whole life was turned upside down. 

My thoughts are that I don't think any one of those couples could stay together if this would have happened to them.  Not one of those couples should get married. They could never deal with real life.  It is so sad that couples do not try anymore.

I walk in your shoes -- my husband at age 53 had a double stroke and is now quadriplegic.  Of the five men at rehab, 3 wives left their husbands, one is wealthy enough for a live-in caregiver and me.  I  couldn't even imagine walking out but we have 36 years of marriage behind us.  That young couple was us at age 19/20 when we got married. 

I'm sorry to see that there are others out there with uncertain futures like ours, but we do what's necessary to care for our spouses.  How forunate these couples are to have been give the gift of Dr. Phil's expertise to even consider the possibilities before they happen.

March 5, 2008, 2:40 pm CST

I agree....

Quote From: angel_in_ny

I thought it was a good idea to have the 19-year old couple in the Dr. Phil house. There are many people that age in the same situation in my community. (sad, I know!) However, I couldn't beleive it when the couple felt that their situation is no where near "as bad" as the other couples. I was yelling so loud hoping  he would hear me say..."HELLO! WAKE UP! YOU CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THESE OTHER COUPLES IN WHAT TO AVOID. YOUR A BABY AND YOU BETTER GROW UP FAST BEFORE YOUR REAL BABY GETS HERE"!!!!!!! (of course - all said before Dr. Phil revealed that they did have the baby) I felt that the girl acted pretty shady at first when she saw her boyfriend in the wheelchair. You better bet your a** if that were my husband I'd accept him with open arms. NO questions asked!!!!!

I also have a hard time beleiveing that Princess Stephanie has changed. However, I do not know her or walk in her golden slippers.  Her man is a VERY good person and deserves the best..... whatever he may feel that this is....

That's what really bothered me about Tim and Lily on the last episode.  They sat there and acted like their relationship is so much better than everyone else's.  They had problems too, weren't they always fighting about money in the first place?  Also, to act like they can't learn anything from anyone else's mistakes is even more inane- maybe that's their maturity level.  When Tim was in the wheelchair, Lily was saying, "I can't lift you when I'm pregnant" and didn't say much else.  While that's true, I didn't get much of a supportive, open-arms attitude from her. 

I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I got from them.

March 5, 2008, 8:35 pm CST

Exactly!

Quote From: pianissima

I was a little bummed when Dr. Phil started handing out prizes. Seemed inappropriate to me. First of all the wanna-be rocker admitted to cheating on his answers to the first quiz by writing down two answers then showing the "winner." For this he wins a car? What is the message to the group? "Some things in life just aren't fair. Get used to it." While Steve's reaction was extreme, I must admit my response was, "hunh?"

The young couple certainly needed the $20,000 they "won" from the financial adviser. But why make it a prize? In fact, why make any of them prizes?

The competition took time and focus away from their real issues. Sure, it did highlight some weaknesses in a more-or-less entertaining fashion: the cheaters cheated, the pouters pouted, the young looked clueless. But was this the best way to get them to see how each contributes to the problems in their relationships?
My thoughts exactly!!

March 5, 2008, 9:32 pm CST

Disabled Son

Quote From: gwarrior6

That's what really bothered me about Tim and Lily on the last episode.  They sat there and acted like their relationship is so much better than everyone else's.  They had problems too, weren't they always fighting about money in the first place?  Also, to act like they can't learn anything from anyone else's mistakes is even more inane- maybe that's their maturity level.  When Tim was in the wheelchair, Lily was saying, "I can't lift you when I'm pregnant" and didn't say much else.  While that's true, I didn't get much of a supportive, open-arms attitude from her. 

I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I got from them.

As the Mom of a 28 y/o son who was shot on 9-2-2008 and now is  a paraplegic it sadden me and made me cry to watch Tom & Lily. My son is the daddy to two children ages 1 & 3 and step-dad to a 10 and 12 y/o.  I can not begin to explain the living hell this family is going through.  My son can't use the restroom anymore, he can't bath himself, he just learned how to pick up his baby by him self.  He cannot ever run a base with his kids, play football with his kids, take them fishing and hunting, he will never walk his daughter down the isle at her wedding or dance with her.  He can no longer make love to his wife.  He can hold her and caress her, he can do 9,000 things and not focus on the 1,000 that he can't.   But if you have never expereinced life as a paraplgic or the wife, friend or parent of one YOU CAN'T IMAGINE.  When you marry you marry for whatever comes your wife.  You don't get an option to walk away because a tragedy happened.  You continue to love, honor and cherish the person you married and hold your family together.  You don't allow the sick son of a bit** to take anymore away from you than he already has.  You pray every night that he goes to prison for what he has done and not be allowed to do this again.

March 7, 2008, 9:35 am CST

It's Believable

Quote From: makason

Sorry to say I don't buy it, the white picket fence in a perfect relationship with no stress or tention not believable.  Even Bill Gates has problems...not buying it in the least.

Her message quote is believable to me . . . it sounds much like my marriage ~ 11 years of it.  The 12th & final year was different.  We somehow quit communicating, he started pushing me away, but, still never fought or said an unkind word to each other, we suffered in silence until it ended.

I am now with a man & totally & completely in love & happy.  We have our issues, we argue sometimes, not very often, we enjoy our time together & apart.  All in all, it's a much better (& healthier) relationship.

As for the "X" & I, during the separation & divorce, we fought, something we didn't do for our 12 years of marriage, and we've said many hurtful things, as a result, we are no longer on speaking terms or friends.

So, it is very possible to have that type of relationship, but, in some cases, it's not a healthy relationship.

Take it from someone who knows!

March 8, 2008, 9:40 am CST

Contest

I am actually looking for someone who remembers how to make the mini grilled cheese sandwiches that the couples made at the end of the show. It was their last contest in the house. I'd like the recipe and cannot find it!

Thanks!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last