Message Boards

Topic : 03/04 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement, Part 3

Number of Replies: 53
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:16:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Four engaged couples have been living in The Dr. Phil House to determine whether or not to marry. The last day approaches as the couples are put to one more test. Dr. Phil gives one person from each pair a "bump in the road" to see how their partner responds to an unfortunate turn of events. Donning a pregnancy suit, Lacey surprises Kalin with the news that she’s pregnant with someone else’s child. Steve is made to look older and obese. Lisa loses her good looks as she’s made to look like she’s living on the streets. And, Tim is in a wheelchair and tells Lilly he won’t be able to take care of her like he used to. Don’t miss the surprising – and not so surprising – reactions. Then, in a final meeting, the couples learn what Dr. Phil thinks are their biggest challenges as partners. Find out who has the hardest time with Dr. Phil’s relationship diagnosis and leaves the room in tears. Finally, Dr. Phil reveals some amazing prizes for the winners of the teamwork challenge. As some rejoice, others don’t handle the disappointment well. Plus, Dr. Phil gives an update on his guests since they’ve left The House. Are they all still headed for the altar? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 9, 2008, 2:27 pm CDT

missed the last show!

I'm so disappointed because I watched all the episodes of 'Dr.Phil house: Rules of Engagement'. I was looking so forward to the last episode to see how it all came together, but I missed it! Did any of the couples work any of the their problems out? Also, when seeing the ads for the last episode, it also made it look like that one of the girls were pregnant with 'someone elses' baby, but didn't say who it was... Did they ever cover that, or was it just a teaser?

I'd love to know what happened!
Thanks!

March 10, 2008, 7:54 am CDT

The Other Side of Steve

Quote From: ramair

I think Stephanie made some remarkable progress toward the end of today's show. That "princess" mentality she brought with her is a developmental phase most children go through when they enter toddlerhood. And, normaly grown out of. Stephanie just grew out of it much later in life, with Dr Phil's help. Now, it's Steve who needs to grow up! Accusing the team who won the tire-change challenge of cheating was bad enough. But, sulking about their prize was so over-the-top childish that had I been there, Dr Phil would've had to physically restrain me from sticking a pacifier in Steve's mouth. He knew that team would be getting a prize. And, for a tire-changing challenge, car's are logical prizes. And, they weren't even that expensive. KIA SUV's are about the lowest priced on the market. One would think, the way that steve threw himself on his bed, that the other team had won pimped out Beamer or Lexus SUV's. I'm surprised he didn't suck his thumb. Grow up, Steve!
 I think Steve's reaction showed a side of him that few people besides close friends and realtivesever see -- the side that Stephanie often responds to. He's a nice guy in so many ways, but he can be childish, sulky and passive-aggressive. Unfortunately, Stephanie's reactions have overshadowed his faults in the past. Now that she's controlling herself more, wecan see what Steve needs to work on. I hope they both keep working on their relationship, but I don't think she got enough credit on the show for her improvement.

March 10, 2008, 8:02 am CDT

Tim and Lily

Quote From: gwarrior6

That's what really bothered me about Tim and Lily on the last episode.  They sat there and acted like their relationship is so much better than everyone else's.  They had problems too, weren't they always fighting about money in the first place?  Also, to act like they can't learn anything from anyone else's mistakes is even more inane- maybe that's their maturity level.  When Tim was in the wheelchair, Lily was saying, "I can't lift you when I'm pregnant" and didn't say much else.  While that's true, I didn't get much of a supportive, open-arms attitude from her. 

I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I got from them.

Such a sweet couple -- but I don't know how realistic they are, possibly due to their youth. I don't think they really took the role-playing exercise seriously, but how many people that age would? If Lily wasn't that "supportive,"it may be b/c, in her mind, this  could never really happen to Tim. But if she's 'guilty" of anything here, it's being youthful and optimistic/acting her age. I wish them and the baby all the best.

March 10, 2008, 11:30 am CDT

Prizes

Quote From: pianissima

I was a little bummed when Dr. Phil started handing out prizes. Seemed inappropriate to me. First of all the wanna-be rocker admitted to cheating on his answers to the first quiz by writing down two answers then showing the "winner." For this he wins a car? What is the message to the group? "Some things in life just aren't fair. Get used to it." While Steve's reaction was extreme, I must admit my response was, "hunh?"

The young couple certainly needed the $20,000 they "won" from the financial adviser. But why make it a prize? In fact, why make any of them prizes?

The competition took time and focus away from their real issues. Sure, it did highlight some weaknesses in a more-or-less entertaining fashion: the cheaters cheated, the pouters pouted, the young looked clueless. But was this the best way to get them to see how each contributes to the problems in their relationships?

I agree, but Dr. Phil said his reason for doing so was to ease some of the burdens that newlyweds face, and I believe easing some of the burdens will give them a better chance for a successful marriage in the long run. 

I am wondering if the couples knew that there would be some form of prizes for them in the end, especially looking at "Princess and her spouse's" reaction to the prizes.  Apparently the trip to the resort wasn't good enough as he felt the show was called "the biggest loser" as he didn't "win" the car and after she asked the car recipients about insurance etc. and was told it was a gift and you don't question gifts, Princess said, "(ha ha ha) here's a car, you make the payments on it. (ha ha ha)"  She thought she was hilarious, and didn't notice she was the only one laughing at her snide comment.

These two knew about the Prize and that's all they were there for and a trip to a spa resort wasn't good enough for them. 

The recipients of the cars were happy and thankful, the young couple didn't comment at all, as they were happy for the help they received and the $20,000 they received earlier.

Princess & Spouse didn't see this as an opportunity to get help with their relationship, they saw it as a way to gain material possessions or money.  They are just greedy and it was more than obvious that they weren't happy with what they received.  He couldn't even figure out that it wasn't a competition, it was indeed a chance to better himself. 

How sad is that?  Maybe the next guest in the Dr. Phil house will be there for the right reasons and not for financial gain.

March 10, 2008, 11:33 am CDT

They did receive something

Quote From: auelox

I too did not understand why no gift was given to the young couple...they seem much more mature than the other 3 couples and seemed to have a better handle on what lies ahead for them...some gifts for the baby would have been nice...diapers, etc.  didn't seem quite fair
 I believe it was episode #2 when the woman talked with the couples regarding finances, credit ratings, etc.   Anyway, it was at that time that this couple was given $20,000.00, as they were the ones with the least amount of debt, best credit rating.

March 10, 2008, 11:39 am CDT

recipe

Quote From: djack22

I am actually looking for someone who remembers how to make the mini grilled cheese sandwiches that the couples made at the end of the show. It was their last contest in the house. I'd like the recipe and cannot find it!

Thanks!

I think this was the recipe:

slice of ciabatta bread, cut into one inch squares

slice of mozza cheese, 1" square

slice of ham, 1" square

top with another piece of ciabatta bread

poke skewer through all layers

grill until cheese melts and bread toasts slightly.

At least that's how I remember it ~ hope this helps.

March 12, 2008, 1:00 pm CDT

03/04 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement, Part 3

Quote From: knoxvillian

I'm so disappointed because I watched all the episodes of 'Dr.Phil house: Rules of Engagement'. I was looking so forward to the last episode to see how it all came together, but I missed it! Did any of the couples work any of the their problems out? Also, when seeing the ads for the last episode, it also made it look like that one of the girls were pregnant with 'someone elses' baby, but didn't say who it was... Did they ever cover that, or was it just a teaser?

I'd love to know what happened!
Thanks!

On the last episode, it was Lacey who said she was pregnant, but it was for a game Dr. Phil had them play. The couples said that they have worked things out, but they still acted the same way. In the end, Princess and her hubby won a trip to the best spa resort which was good for them until they found out that the other couples got a car, and the young couple won nothing.

March 27, 2008, 9:49 pm CDT

03/04 The Dr. Phil House: Rules of Engagement, Part 3

Quote From: hollyster3

On the last episode, it was Lacey who said she was pregnant, but it was for a game Dr. Phil had them play. The couples said that they have worked things out, but they still acted the same way. In the end, Princess and her hubby won a trip to the best spa resort which was good for them until they found out that the other couples got a car, and the young couple won nothing.

Also so you know I didnt get to see the show but Lisa is my cousin and they did brake up after the show again this time Lisa say's its for good..

April 1, 2008, 8:14 am CDT

PATERNITY TEST KITS - OVER THE COUNTER

Paternity test kits are the latest example of how genetics testing is pushing into the consumer marketplace, fueling competition not only in paternity issues but also in ancestry research. Genetic paternity tests are widely available online.  Experts are warning consumers that some laboratories doing the testing are not required to meet federal or any genetic testing standards.

There are many reasons why people want to establish paternity.  Although people purchase paternity test kits for various reasons, "peace of mind," is just one.  Many purchasers are adults who still had questions about who their parents were.

Over-the-counter test kits are now available from a Utah-based company named "Identigene".  These over-the-counter test kits are now available in local stores.  The kits were first test marketed in Rite Aid stores in Washington, Oregon and California last November.  Since then Rite Aid has ordered more for all of its stores except those in New York, where state law requires a court order or medical prescription.  The kit is soon to be available in Utah, 30 other states and the District of Columbia. 

More information about over the counter test kits: 

www.dnatesting.com 

The suggested retail price for the kits is $29.99. They contain cotton swabs for taking cells from inside the mouth, which are then placed in sealed plastic bags and sent with a consent form and an additional fee of $119 to an Identigene accredited lab. Results are available in three to five days and can be accessed on
line.  Assuming that the information listed on the form sent in with paternity kits is correct; the test is 99.9 percent accurate for paternity. 

The tests, however, cannot be used in legal proceedings because there is no verification that the samples come from the people who are listed on the forms sent to the laboratory. Legally valid tests cost about $350 with Identigene. 

With some paternity tests advertised on the Web for as little as $89, Identigene's is a company whose laboratory is accredited for crime scene processing and by the American Association of Blood Banks, which set standards for handling and processing samples.

Hope it helps!

April 8, 2008, 5:36 am CDT

Steve & Princess Stephanie

If Princess Stephanie doesn't appreciate her man Steve, I'll have him and treat him right.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last