Message Boards

Topic : 04/01 The Superbug

Number of Replies: 539
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:21:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Could a grave danger be lurking in your home? If you believe the headlines, you know that catching the Superbug can have deadly consequences, but should you be concerned? How can you spot the danger, and what can you do to stay safe? Dr. Phil gets to the bottom of these questions and others. Melissa's son, Mark, was just 13 when he went to the hospital and wound up with MRSA, also known as the Superbug. Learn about Melissa’s tragic loss and why she thinks her son’s death could have been prevented. Then, 19-year-old Stephanie has been battling the Superbug for almost a year. Get a firsthand account of her experience with the disease, and find out what advice her doctor gave her that has Dr. Phil shocked and concerned. Even doctors aren’t immune to the Superbug. Dr. Drew O’Neal had an accident while on vacation, and what happened next changed his life forever. He shares his valuable insights as both doctor and patient. Plus, two years ago, Glen was your average sophomore playing on his high school football team -- until he contracted the Superbug right from the team’s locker room. Find out what important lessons he learned that could help protect you and your children from the disease. And renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears weighs in with the latest information and shows off products to keep on hand that could save your life. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 29, 2008, 2:16 pm CST

MRSA...

Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus (MRSA) is fairly common in hospitals now and a small percentage (about 8% I believe) of hospital workers are colonized with it.  There are other variants of resistant bacteria such as Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus (VRE) and Vancomycin Resistant Staph Aureus (VRSA). Resistance is an inevitable result of developing and using antibiotics. 

It's always easier to blame somebody instead of dealing with your own grief.

March 1, 2008, 9:57 am CST

MRSA

Hi,

I have had MRSA twice since I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago.  I still have swelling and pain in my stomach.  It feels like it burns on the inside all of the time.  I have pretty much been "sitting" for almost 2 years due to the swelling and I have had a PIC line in twice for 5  to 6 weeks at a time for the medication.  I don't know what I would have done without the great health insurance I have.  I still take pain pills and am not sure why I still have the swelling in the stomach area and the pain?  Anybody have any ideas of why?  I got the first MRSA infection when I still had the drainage tube in and the second one when  I developed a seroma and the hospital put a needle in to drain the fluid.  I had 105 degree temp and have some memory loss.

Thanks

Kathy Fox

March 1, 2008, 10:10 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Bug Doctor Phil Super The. What in tarnation is going on with your show? I have never hear of Superbug--

at all. Doctor Phil donot forget to set your clocks forward on Saturday March 08th, 2008 before you go to----

bed at night and also tell your Robin and your two sons and one wife Erica McGraw aswell. See you on----

Friday March 07th, 2008. (Spring Forward-Fall-Back in November of 2008. And Erica, Jay, Jordan.) Sincer--

ley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 1, 2008, 11:00 am CST

Question

What is the "Superbug"?  Your Email uses the term as if everyone should know what it is.  I don't and have never heard of the term :Superbug" until just now while reading your message. 

March 1, 2008, 12:13 pm CST

Superbug..

Quote From: bobh31

What is the "Superbug"?  Your Email uses the term as if everyone should know what it is.  I don't and have never heard of the term :Superbug" until just now while reading your message. 

The term "Superbug" is a new media scare tactic for Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus (MRSA).   MRSA is a type of bacteria that is resistant to Methicillin and other derivatives of penicillin due to formations of genetic resistance (mutations). 

MRSA has been around since 1961, and we're starting to see bacteria forming resistance to different antibiotics (Vancomycin Intermediate/ or Resistant Staph Aureus).  Hospitals are trying to control this, but even with the most stringent Infection Control, it can still be transmitted.

March 1, 2008, 12:57 pm CST

My husband died from the SUPERBUG!

My husband passed way after complications from a hip replacement and then contracting MRSA last August.  Although he underwent seven weeks of antibiotic therapy, he still sucummed to the SUPERBUG.  The hospitals are rampant with this disease and ANYONE is subseptable to it, especially anyone in a weakened state.  The doctors, nurses and hospital staff that treated my husband tried to lessen the severity of this disease and actually assurred me that the MRSA had been arrested and took him off the antibiotics one week before his death.  An autopsy confimed that he died of infection.  I feel that the doctor was wrong to take my husband off the medicine.  I have consulted two attorneys that will help me take the doctors to court if I decide to sue, although they are positive that it will be a hard lawsuit to win against the doctors and hospital.  I am unsure of how to proceed.  I don't know if I can emotionally or financially handle a suit.  I also have an eleven year old son to consider.  I could use some advise and support.  Thanks!

March 1, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

Bird Flu will be the next scare in America

Bird Flu will be the next care in America, I'm prepared, most folks are not prepared.

March 1, 2008, 1:49 pm CST

03/07 The Superbug

Quote From: bobh31

MRSA-Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus....staph infection.  MRSA has been around for a while, but in the 1990s  a type of MRSA began showing up in the  wider community (other than hospitals), known as CA-MRSA(community associated MRSA) We have had it show up in schools here in SW VA and there have been several deaths in the past year or so. To me, it is a scary thing because sometimes it doesn't respond to treatment and death can result. I think we can have it on our skin or in our nose and not get sick, but possibly pass it on to someone else.  

March 1, 2008, 2:04 pm CST

03/07 The Superbug

Quote From: gwarrior6

Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus (MRSA) is fairly common in hospitals now and a small percentage (about 8% I believe) of hospital workers are colonized with it.  There are other variants of resistant bacteria such as Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus (VRE) and Vancomycin Resistant Staph Aureus (VRSA). Resistance is an inevitable result of developing and using antibiotics. 

It's always easier to blame somebody instead of dealing with your own grief.

Oops... I replied to a question about what is the Superbug, before I read your message. It seems like a scary staph infection to get because sometimes it seems to be untreatable in some people. Within the past year or so, it has been found in schools here in SW VA and there have been several deaths of young people. The news about it has kinda died down now. I'm sure it's still out there somewhere. As a matter of fact, is it true that we (me for example) can have it on our skin or in our nose and not get sick but pass it on to someone else? If that's the case what can we do other than wash our hands, to prevent passing it on to someone else? When it was found in schools here, the schools were shut down and throughly cleaned, with what, I don't know. I couldn't understand how that would get rid of it if it was on people and being passed from one person to another. The reason I am asking you is, I have seen in other messages that you are in the health care area and I think maybe you are more informed than some of the rest of us.(me anyway) During the time that it was in the news a lot around here, I became frightened and I wasn't sure exactly what I was frightened of, and what I could do about it.

March 1, 2008, 4:52 pm CST

03/07 The Superbug

I cannot begin to tell you the number of physicians and residents who have entered isolation rooms where MRSA patients are under droplet isolation or contact isolation,,work on the patient, then come out and say, "what kind of isolation is he under?".  It is clearly posted on the patient's door!

Dietary workers tend to do the same, as well as CNAs.  Imagine this scenario; dietary takes a tray of food into the patient, without properly gowning, masking, gloving and handwashing, then proceeds to touch every other patient's trays/dishes, eating utensils, etc. 

Worse yet, those same infected trays go back to the cafeteria and into the hands of workers or patients.

And, now there is a MRSA necrotizing pneumonia that eats the lung tissue of its victims, and is truly anti-biotic resistant.  You die from it within 36-72 hrs.  You all know how long it takes healthcare to diagnose such a disease,,,too long.

Given those facts, imagine how quickly it could wipe out a hospital full of already immunosuppressed patients were workers do not properly observe sanitary precautions to break the chain of infection.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last