Message Boards

Topic : 03/07 Dr. Phil Now: Sex Offenders Next Door

Number of Replies: 601
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 06, 2008, 04:36:16 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s exclusive interview with Brianna Denison's mother who is speaking out for the first time since her daughter's body was found. Nineteen-year-old Brianna made headlines when she was kidnapped while she slept on a friend's couch. Brianna's killer – an alleged serial rapist -- is still on the loose in Reno, NV. And, a controversial issue is heating up the headlines: Where should registered sex offenders live when they’re released from prison? Residents of Long Beach, California say not in their neighborhood. They’re outraged that an apartment building is allegedly housing 13 registered sex offenders, and the building owner is reportedly receiving $1,000 per month to house them. Former tenants, James and Getania, were disgusted to learn that the sex offenders were living in their building, and local residents weren’t happy either. Dawna owns several properties near the apartment complex. She says she’s losing tenants and the sex offenders are stalking others. Then, Jake Goldenflame, a registered sex offender who was convicted of molesting his daughter and young boys over 25 years ago, says he's still attracted to teenage boys, but says people like him have no resources and need to live somewhere. What does Dr. Phil think? Should the sex offenders be forced to leave the community, or should their neighbors just learn to live with them? If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is going to deal with it now! Join the discussion.

To find registered sex offenders in your area, visit familywatchdog.us.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2008, 7:28 pm CST

The best thing to do is !

Dear Dr. Phil,

I don't know if anyone ever thought about this but I think All these sick A__ sex offenders should be sent to the island of Alcatraz in San Francisco Bay and put them to work refurbishing the island.My father took my youth and no one was there for me and now the time has passed to do anything for me but I feel from the bottom of my heart that all of these life killers should be forced to leave the community's there living in and put on this island. they say there's no resources for them lets give them one, let them build one for themselves to live the rest of there days in. Also why should they have the freedoms we have put trackers under there skin where they cant take it out and put them on the island.

Yours Truly

Annie Jo

March 6, 2008, 7:34 pm CST

Sex Offenders Residency

March 6, 2008, 7:35 pm CST

Are you sure they are all dangerous

My son is a immature 21 year old that has been trying to have a normal relationship with girls 18 and over. He is a sweet kid and I call him kid because that is what he is like, a kid. Well, this past week we have been going through a tough time as he was with a girl that claimed she was 18 and looked that age. Come to find out she was 15. My son didn't know her very long to find out the truth about her.  We are finding out that this girl has accused others of the same thing she has accused my son of. I assure you my son is not dangerous and could possible have to register as a sex offender.  I think before someone jumps to a conclusion that all people that are registered sex offenders are dangerous criminals, maybe you should actually find out what their story is and possibly they were also accused of something they actually didn't do. I am all for keeping the creeps and perverts away from our children but there are some out there that just got a bad rap. What about these young girls that get mad because the guy figured out their story or just decided the relationship wasn't working. They can make up anything and ruin a young mans life.  As this girl has done to my son.

March 6, 2008, 7:47 pm CST

They shouldn't be released!!!!

I don't think that these predators should EVER be released!!!!!!  I was abused as a child by my father and now my daughter has been abused by her father (my worst nightmare, other than losing one of my children, come true).  From what I understand, there is no way to rehabilitate these predators and I don't think they should EVER be allowed to roam the streets free again!!!!
    This is a most heinous crime.  Our children are to be loved and protected at ALL costs!!  I think that even death is too good of an option for these people.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but I definitely don't think that any other child should ever be put at risk again.  Because you can guarantee if these people are on the loose, they are looking for their next victim.

March 6, 2008, 7:48 pm CST

falsy accused. it could happen to you

im writing to tell you that not all sexual offenders on the websites are really offenders. do you know that if your son has to relieve himself and does so at a park etc he will be put on the offenders websites.i am 100% for monitoring offenders but not if even 1 innocent person gets there life destroyed to due a dumb mistake. megans law and the new lunsford law are being abused by the highest courts by violating some peoples civil rights . this will eventually end up allowing the aclu having there day in court andf having all these registries removed from public viewing. it is not fair that a person makes a mistake of urinating at the age of 17 is going to be dealt with the same as a pediphile for the rest of his life. right now sexual offenders are a hot topic for political gain as well so please before you sound off check into exactly how these predator sites work. thank you

March 6, 2008, 7:49 pm CST

SEX OFFENDER...

Quote From: gwarrior6

It's very scary to know how many sex offenders live next to you!  There are about 170 in the 10 mile radius from where I live (I need to move).  There's about 20 that live half a mile away!  It's a shocking reality check, thats for sure.

You can find out the # of sex offenders that live in your area, their names, addresses and pictures from the the family watchdog site:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

What to do when the jails are so overcrowded that these sociopaths are free?

The Term cocers EVERYTHING  From Darkest Black to Lightest White!!

Shame on anyone that Condems anyone that lets the term Condems with-out Knowing All Of The Circumstances... The Prudes & Conservitives, Ego centric  Maniacs. The Criminal Code Declairs EVERYONE A SINNER!  Eather as an: {Infraction - Misdemenor - Felony.}" Punishable to a Fine !"~ Infraction~ Part of. /  Misdemenor~ in its youth." Punishable to a Year in the County Jail." Felony. Respectable Adult: "Punishable to Exicution" ` LIFE IN STATE penitentiary"  The Criminal System has NO Concern for the RIGHTS Of Citizans. And Liberties Deserved.

THE CIVIL CODE DOES: RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS!

ONLY DEPRIVED OF FREEDOM:  IF  A  D A N G E R   T O  P U B L I C. 

Dr. Phil: I Like you in a General Way !!!  But, Don't get influnanced by the Criminal System!  As a good Power.

I'm NOT A SEX  OFFENDER !!!  BUT, THE CRIMINAL COURT HAS RUENED MY LIFE ( THE REST OF MY LIFE)  & LAST 40 Years.

Dare to FIGHT THE CRIMINAL SYSTEM !!!  &  SUPPORT  THE  CIVIL  SYSTEM.

THANKS FOR LETT'N ME VENT.

( ZAN - TI - MOW )

March 6, 2008, 7:54 pm CST

I feel your pain

Quote From: mwaite1

I know that people are terrified of knowing that a sexual offender lives anywhere near them, but think of it in another way.  How would you like to live next to someone that has sexually molested 4 different children and has never seen the inside of a police station.  I wish this was only a scenerio I just wrote about, but it is not.  It is MY LIFE.  This piece of trash is my brother.  He molested myself and my sister at around the age of 5 yrs old.  We were never allowed to speak about it to anyone.  Then for the next 14 yrs I would sleep every night with my door locked and knots in my stomach.  I always felt that I was dealing with it and it was in my past.  Little did I know what was about to happen.  I have not worked in over 4 yrs now, I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Depression and can see the signs of Agoraphobia.  I would have never guessed that by not speaking of what happened to me would consume the rest of my life.  On a nice Sunday in August of 2006, my mother in law called me to tell me that my daughter (10 yrs old) just told her that her Uncle had tried to have sex with her when she was 5 yrs old.  It was like opening a wound and pouring all the salt in the world on it.  I can't lie, I wanted to kill him and if my husband hadn't stopped me, I might have done it.  We took all the proper and legal steps, even though years had passed since the incident.  We filed the necessary reports with our local Sheriffs Dept.  Several weeks later we received a call from the Detective letting us know that our case was being closed due to lack of evidence.  They never even picked him up for questioning.  They simply went to his home (actually my deceased father's home) and asked him if he had committed this act and he said "NO".  I have since written to all our State Reps, Senators, Governor, County Manager, County Commissioners, District Attorney and Sheriff.  Guess What????  Sorry ma'am, but your case lacks evidence.  NO ONE CAN AND/OR WILL HELP US!!!!!!!  What is really scary is,  I was molested in 1977 and my daughter in 2001.  What happened during that 24 yr span that we don't know about?  So, while I understand everyones concerns about living near a sexual offender, but at least you know who they are and where they are.  Oh and on the subject of what type of punishment they should receive, in my opinion, if they are true sexual offenders, they should have tiny razor cuts all over them, place them in a room with a wonderful view and fill the fire sprinklers with rubbing alcohol, then set them to go off constantly.  This way, they can suffer for the rest of their lives while watching the world just pass them by. 
     I truly do feel your pain.  I was abused by my father and now my daughter has been abused by her father.  I kind of like your idea about the razor cuts and sprinklers filled with alcohol, but I think that this is too good for them.  There is no way that anyone can understand the pain and suffering that this causes, even way into adulthood.  Thank God, I am no longer a victim, and I am doing EVERYTHING in my power to ensure that my daughter will NEVER be victimized again!!!

March 6, 2008, 8:01 pm CST

aware of offenders signs

Quote From: gwarrior6

It's very scary to know how many sex offenders live next to you!  There are about 170 in the 10 mile radius from where I live (I need to move).  There's about 20 that live half a mile away!  It's a shocking reality check, thats for sure.

You can find out the # of sex offenders that live in your area, their names, addresses and pictures from the the family watchdog site:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

What to do when the jails are so overcrowded that these sociopaths are free?

IN MY MIND I BELIEVE THAT IT SHOULD BE MADE AWARE TO ALL THAT THERE IS AN OFFENDER IN ALL DWELLINGS!!! THERE SHOULD BE A COLORED SIGN ON THE MAILBOX OR ON THE HOUSE SIGNIFYING A SEX OFFENDER OF ANY TYPE.WE NEED TO COME UP WITH A SYMBOL AND MAKE IT LAW TO BE POSTED AT ALL OF THESE"-------------"RESIDENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2008, 8:12 pm CST

somebody explain

Somebody explain how www.familywatchdog.us knows where REGISTERED  sex offenders live, work and "play" and have pics but the police cant keep track of them.  There is an elementary school around the corner from my home and there are 2 registered CHILD sex offenders living in some run down apartments right beside the school. It's outragous!

March 6, 2008, 8:13 pm CST

finding out to late

When I was 19 I met the man I thought I was going to marry.  Yes we lived together, got engaged, and got pregnant.  I found out when our daughter was 2 years old he had taken a 14 year old girl for a ride in his car, had sex with her and brought her home like everything was normal.  She bragged cause she had been with a 25 year old.  Rumors caught up with him and he was found guilty and is now a registered sexual offender.  The courts still wanted to let him have visitation rights to our daughter.  While fighting him in court my lawyer found out this was not the first time and when we was 13 he raped a 13 year old and had a son with her.  Also found out that he had molested his 2 younger sisters.  I do not think they should be put back into society, it;s like handing candy to a baby.  Luckily I found a wonderful man who loved me and my daughter, enough to want to adopt her.  I fought to keep him away and I succeeded, what about the girls who can't bedsides the fact that everywhere you turn there is one living next door.  I have 2 daughters and scared everyday who is lurking around the corner.  Something needs to change.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last