Message Boards

Topic : 03/10 Underage Marriage

Number of Replies: 279
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 07, 2008, 11:28:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A teen marriage, accusations of sexual abuse, maternal abandonment – you name it, this family drama has it all. Leslie says she didn’t give permission for her 16-year-old daughter, Corina, to marry Ryan, 18, and now wants the union annulled. Corina says she wants her mother to back off and stay out of her life because she was abandoned, and her mother doesn’t get a vote. She says her mother is retaliating against her because she accused her stepfather, Chris, of molesting her two years ago. Leslie says Corina has a history of lying, and she finds it hard to believe her daughter was sexually abused. Who’s telling the truth? Can this mother-daughter relationship be repaired, and should Corina end her marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 10, 2008, 9:08 am CDT

I have another thought

I believe the clue as to why the mom is wanting the annulment to occur is because she too got married when she was young and dumb and full of herself and regrets the decision she made when she thought she knew it all...

what do you think?

May You Be Blessed

Love, Light and Peace

Tonie

March 10, 2008, 9:12 am CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

Quote From: empressive

I was watching this episode but never found out the results of the polygraph test. When were we supposed to hear them?  Did I miss something?
Dr Phil said arrangements would be made for Corina's polygraph. And, that he'd share the results at a later date. He also urged Chris to get one. I tend to believe him and Leslie over her. Corina waited a year, i believe, to tell Leslie. To "protect" their marriage, she alleged. If my stepfather molested me. I wouldn't give a damn about the marriage. I'd want my mother to know immediately. Leslie didn't immediately dismiss Corina's allegations, BTW. She sent her to stay with a friend while Chris was investigated. Until no evidence was found. If corina is lying, she's probably too immature to realize that she can't beat a polygraph.

March 10, 2008, 9:23 am CDT

I am so sorry Carmen

Quote From: carmenrn

She needs to get help.. THE MOTHER! ..............I think Iwill  send this to 'MY MOTHER'..... I will use t he term 'mother' very loosley...LOL. Seriously......this person should NEVER of had me.  I DESERVE BETTER!!!!!....................'I HATE YOU[mom'......there..I feel better now...LOL!!!!

My name is Carmen. I am just 30 , living inCanada. I work as an RN in a Critical Care/Trauma setting.

Talk to [you later

Take Care,
Carmen

I don't know how you are a feeling because I didn't tell my mother that my daddy tried to seduce me when I was in my early teens...perhaps I was afraid that mom wouldn't believe me and would like dad told me; think me a liar because he was going to do his best to convince her of such...

I don't know for sure why I didn't tell her...

Both of my parents are now deceased and to tell you the truth...being believable now is also a problem with at least one of my sisters who is 16 years of age younger than myself.

For the dad that grew her up, wasn't the same dad that raised me...for the dad that raised me didn't have a strong religious sense...so I was able to forgive him because he was the dad before he discovered who Christ is...understand?

The last 30 plus years of his and my mom's life were spent serving Our Heavenly Father and alcohol was not a necessary ingredient to life so there in made the total difference.

It was not easy a getting close to my mother...yet towards the end of her and my dad's life, I got lots closer than ever before and therein laid the difference.

I am at peace with both of my parents...and I can't wait to see them both again in Heaven...and I mean that quite sincerely...

I hope Carmen that you are able to mend the distance between you and your mom...for daughters are able to get a strong sense of who they are, from the mother...and fathers are just important as the mother daughter bond...for the father figure reflects what it is that the daughter will accept in the man/men that they will one day choose to have and to hold...

I will keep you in my prayers Carmen...

Forgiveness is something that you gift yourself with...you do it first for yourself and from there is spreads and affects your whole life...

May You Be Blessed

Love, Light and Peace

Tonie

March 10, 2008, 9:35 am CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

Quote From: mssylady1

With today's premiscious behavior and unlearned lessons about "LIFE", I would tell every underage person to wait until at least graduation from high school or/and a trade school or/and college.  The hormornes are raging when you are teens, but the intellectual knowledge is below level.  Man seem to be going backwards in parental teachings and guardianship.  Actually young people don't even know how to have responsible or good sex.  They are like rabbits going at it for the mere pleasure of having enjoyment.

It sounds as if there has been a lot of unhealthy family dynamics going on and the kids are looking for love in the wrong place.  If only a little less anger in the family could be shown and more mature listening to each other might go a long way.

I pray the relationships build and understanding and reason rule. 

Since the brain, according to research, continues developing at least until age 25, I think 16 is too young for anyone to get married. Sure, some marriages begun at 16 have lasted 50 years or longer. But, in 1958, 16-year-olds were more mature, and responsible, than most are these days. And, back when it was much more common for girls to marry that in there teens, everyone graduated from HS at 15 or 16. My grandmother graduated at 15, in 1911. Went to Normal School, where she got her teacher's training. Taught school for about two years before she got married. And, was already 20 when my uncle was born.

March 10, 2008, 9:43 am CDT

Get a grip - Find your Wisdom

Whatever created a situation for a 16 year old to marry, now calls for some wisdom.

To the mother, Leslie, get a grip and find your wisdom as a mother. Back off and allow your young daughter to make her own mistakes now that she has made a big one.  Once the event has taken place you might just want to stand back and offer love and a mother's wisdom, if you have any.

If you lack wisdom then you will try to interfere and make the situation even worse. If you choose that path, trust that your life and relationships will be full of turmoil and remorse.

March 10, 2008, 10:29 am CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

Well I think there is some serious problems on both sides. Think sixteen is way to young to be married, because if your not old enough to get insurance, job and vote then your not old enough to face adult problems . Your brains are not even finished growing yet. My God! just because you think your in love at that moment doesn't mean you should be married. Give it a few weeks and then you'll be ready to move on. At sixteen you have no clue of what you want to do with the rest of your life. And as for this mother, when your child comes to you with the news of being molested; your supposed to get her some help and accuse her of lying. If my daughter came to me with this type of news I would everything in my power to get her what ever help she needed and if that meant getting away from my husband who did this I would. We as parents are given a special gift from God and were supposed to protect them from harm even if this is in our own homes, and that means doing everything we can. This child's innocents was taken from her and now she is seeking love from anyone who will give it to her.

March 10, 2008, 11:11 am CDT

I wanna see the RESULTS of the polygraph!

Until then, I'm on the fence on this one!

Robin

:)

March 10, 2008, 12:12 pm CDT

Hmmmmm

My husband and I were teens when we married. His dad signed for him to get married. He was 16 I was 18. Plus I was pregnant with our daughter at the time too. We have had the normal problems every marriage has. We have grown up together over these last 12 years of marriage. we have had a lot of happy times and sad ones as well. But we never did the bad stuff that is said to have happened in this story. I love my husband more and more each day. I hope we prove that young mariage can survive if it's done right.

March 10, 2008, 12:45 pm CDT

I've been reading these msgs and

I found some to be interesting, some to be judgemental, some to be neutral.....it's interesting how people say how they would react if they were in my shoes, but they weren't and why is it so inconcievable that a teenager would lie about something like this? Not to long ago a female lied about an entire sports team raping her and she wasn't the first in the news. I had to consider many things before I chose to believe Chris over her; of course not all of that was revealed. also just because someone may be an x-con does not mean they automatically are guilty when accused of something.Doing this show was emotionally draining on all involved- and no I didn't chose to do the show so I could shame my daughter. And NO ONE ever did a poloygraph.

Personally I would have loved to have gotten some help after the show.

March 10, 2008, 12:53 pm CDT

good for these kids

congradulation to the kids of this mother.they are looking out for themselves because she isn't. why did she chose an ex convict over her kids. She will be his next victim. someone should have stepped in and did something to take these kids away from her. I applaud her kids for protecting themselves.I do not agree on the marriage though she is to young and there is so much ahead of her in life

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last