Message Boards

Topic : 03/10 Underage Marriage

Number of Replies: 279
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 07, 2008, 11:28:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A teen marriage, accusations of sexual abuse, maternal abandonment – you name it, this family drama has it all. Leslie says she didn’t give permission for her 16-year-old daughter, Corina, to marry Ryan, 18, and now wants the union annulled. Corina says she wants her mother to back off and stay out of her life because she was abandoned, and her mother doesn’t get a vote. She says her mother is retaliating against her because she accused her stepfather, Chris, of molesting her two years ago. Leslie says Corina has a history of lying, and she finds it hard to believe her daughter was sexually abused. Who’s telling the truth? Can this mother-daughter relationship be repaired, and should Corina end her marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 10, 2008, 12:53 pm CDT

Can someone ask me this question?

Can someone ask me this question? Why do so many people keep depending on a machine to know whatever a person is telling the truth or not? I don't believe that all lie detectors are very accurate (Like on the Maury Show for instance). Why can't people just tell everything themselves?

March 10, 2008, 12:53 pm CDT

That Mom seems to be more jealous about her daughter then caring.

This Mom does not seem to want to be a Mom, but she does want to control her daughter’s life, even though she does not want any responsibility.  What an odd person.  If you don’t want to have any responsibility for someone then you don’t have the right to control him or her.

Did anyone else get the feeling that she is competing with her daughter in just about every thing?  That she is jealous of her daughter.  I got the impression that the girl is telling the truth about the step-dad sexually assaulting her.  I think the Mom is jealous about it and other things.  The step-dad not being willing to do the lie detector test said a little too much.

I can see why she got married to get away from her Mom.  I hope Dr. Phil’s help gives them what they need.

March 10, 2008, 12:58 pm CDT

Here is my weigh in....

Maybe I missed this but where is the biological father who gave this young lady permission?  Where are the documents that show that the bio father signed off?  Where are the documents showing the inspection of molestation allegations?  These would answer some of the allegations made during this show. 

The son-in-law doesnt seem to be all there.  The daughter is a young punk.  I dont care if someone is a teenager or in a "blended" family doesnt give one an excuse from not having manners, to lie, and basically be a punk.  I have always thought Dr. Phil is way to soft on the girls on his show.  He doesnt know how to handle them.  Maybe because he is such a hunk of a man that he tries to soften his mannerism. 

Bottom line from me is I wished there was something from the biological father as this was a huge part missing.

March 10, 2008, 1:05 pm CDT

Let Her Mitigate Her Damages

I am both the mother and daughter of todays show.  I raised two teenage daughters that I thought would kill me (literally at times).  Although I kept them from being sexually assaulted they did get involved with drugs, weapons etc...

I left an abusive home at 12 and married as soon as possible.  At 16 I married a 25 year old man.  This took me off the streets and away from the violence of 'home'.  I too was sexually assaulted.  My family believed me but blamed me, even though my attacker was in his late 20's, I was 14.  He was my uncle and my father, who was a cop, allowed him to live with us to avoid be caught by German authorities for child molestation there.

I married at 16 and my mother says it is her biggest regret.  She says this despite the fact that I graduated high school in the top 10%, went on to college, have spent my life studying trauma survivors and sex offenders and, despite the fact that my younger sister died as a result of the abuse we suffered.  While this young girls choice may not be the cookie cutter childhood, that mother and her mate's behavior persuaded me that the best chance that young girl may have is the one she has chosen.  Despite the selfish nature of teenagers, children do not run away from safe, happy homes.  Let her mitigate her damages.

Jasper

March 10, 2008, 1:09 pm CDT

Polygraph/underage marriage

Quote From: southernbell77

Until then, I'm on the fence on this one!

Robin

:)

Touche Robin! 

If he "Chris" has absolutely nothing to hide and he's been humiliated and dragged through the dirt enough if he's innocent that is, then why oh why not take it?  It's already been opened up for discussion "world wide".

I'm with you on this one.

Moshe

March 10, 2008, 1:18 pm CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

I KNOW I PROBABLY SHOULDNT DISCUSS THIS BUT DR PHIL I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND YOU SOMETIMES. I AM AMAZED AT HOW YOU ALWAYS DEFEND REBELLIOUS CHILDREN ON TV AND I NOTICED HOW THE AUDIENCE CLAPS FOR THE REBELLION CHILDREN ALL THE TIME.  WE DO NOT KNOW WETHER THIS GIRL WAS MOLESTED OR NOT BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE MOTHER DID WHAT SHE FELT WAS RIGHT AT THE TIME. YOU NEVER SEEM TO GIVE PARENTS ANY CREDIT. PARENTS SHOULD ALWAYS LISTEN TO THEIR CHILDREN IN THIS KIND OF SITUATION BUT IT SEEMS LIKE SHE WAS JUST PLAIN ON BEING REBELLIOUS. I THINK THAT IF SHE WANTS TO KEEP TRYING TO PROVE HER REBELLION THEN HER MOTHER SHOULD JUST LET HER GO AND MAKE HER OWN MISTAKES. THEN AND ONLY THEN SHE WILL COME RUNNING BACK TO HER MOTHER LIKE THE PRODICAL SON. DONT SUPPORT REBELLION.

March 10, 2008, 1:25 pm CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

Quote From: lesliem

I found some to be interesting, some to be judgemental, some to be neutral.....it's interesting how people say how they would react if they were in my shoes, but they weren't and why is it so inconcievable that a teenager would lie about something like this? Not to long ago a female lied about an entire sports team raping her and she wasn't the first in the news. I had to consider many things before I chose to believe Chris over her; of course not all of that was revealed. also just because someone may be an x-con does not mean they automatically are guilty when accused of something.Doing this show was emotionally draining on all involved- and no I didn't chose to do the show so I could shame my daughter. And NO ONE ever did a poloygraph.

Personally I would have loved to have gotten some help after the show.

Watching you and your daughter today I could just see the stress level in you. I agree many have lied about this kind of thing and it amazes me how many people can be so judgemental as well. My neice accused my son of this and I ended up having to decide in my own mind who was telling the truth. Like you my first thought was OMG how could he do this. Since then my neice has been caught in so many lies about things I do not believe it ever happened.

No one was in your shoes and no one should not jump to assumptions from what they saw on TV. It is to bad neither one took the test I would have liked to have seen the results.

March 10, 2008, 1:29 pm CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

I AM SO TIRED OF HEREING PEOPLE SAY THAT THE STEP PARENT HAS NO RIGHT TO THAT CHILD. YOU ARE SO WRONG. IF A PARENT REMARRIES THEN THAT PERSON WILL RAISE THAT CHILD JUST AS SOMEONE WHO ADOPTS A CHILD AND THEY ALSO HAVE THAT SAME RESPONSIBILTY. THATS ALSO WHY I SAY THAT YOU DR PHIL SUPPORTS REBELLION IN CHILDREN. PARENTS STAY FIRM IN WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN RAISING YOUR CHILDREN . WE ARE NOT PERFECT AND EVERY FAMILY WILL NOT BE PERFECT, SO YOU TEENS RESPECT YOUR PARENTS . JUST BECAUSE I SAY THIS, DONT THINK I AM SAYING THAT CHILDREN SHOULD NOT TELL IF THEY WERE MOLESTED OR ABUSED. THEY SHOULD SO THAT THEY CAN BE IN A SAFE PLACE. IM SAYING THAT THESE DAYS THE CHILDREN HAVE MORE POWER OVER PARENTS THESE DAYS. THE SIGNS ARE THERE. OPEN YOUR EYES.

March 10, 2008, 1:39 pm CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

I also got married  young i was 17 and my husband was 18(i was not pregnant). I was out of high school I graduated #15 in a class of 350 students. My mom work hard i took care of my sisters and i had a part time job.  So when we decided to get married everyone was OK about it. We where young,but we new what we where doing. So for us to sit hear and judge them is wrong everyone is different. This poor girl had a hard childhood so maybe that made her mature faster. She is not to be blame, her mother on the other has not been a good mother. Even know she tried to make her daughter look like the bad person. This girl is dealing with the cards she was dealt. My husband and i have been together for 3 years i know its not a lot but we try everyday to make it work. He is in the Army i am in school and we have two sons. I would not change that for the world. I wish them the best and for them to do as they wish.

March 10, 2008, 1:47 pm CDT

The mother is spiteful and vengeful

I think the mother is spiteful and vengeful.  She seems petty and manipulative.  I don't think she cares about her daughter.  It seems like she wants revenge because her husband has convinced her the daughter lied about the molestation.  She is very angry and snapping at everyone.  I think there is something wrong with her.  Its strange that the step dad won't take a poligraph and yet they keep calling the daughter a liar.  How terrible.  Its a terrible word to call someone.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last