Message Boards

Topic : 03/10 Underage Marriage

Number of Replies: 279
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 07, 2008, 11:28:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A teen marriage, accusations of sexual abuse, maternal abandonment – you name it, this family drama has it all. Leslie says she didn’t give permission for her 16-year-old daughter, Corina, to marry Ryan, 18, and now wants the union annulled. Corina says she wants her mother to back off and stay out of her life because she was abandoned, and her mother doesn’t get a vote. She says her mother is retaliating against her because she accused her stepfather, Chris, of molesting her two years ago. Leslie says Corina has a history of lying, and she finds it hard to believe her daughter was sexually abused. Who’s telling the truth? Can this mother-daughter relationship be repaired, and should Corina end her marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 10, 2008, 1:50 pm CDT

The step parent

Quote From: rfb1234

I AM SO TIRED OF HEREING PEOPLE SAY THAT THE STEP PARENT HAS NO RIGHT TO THAT CHILD. YOU ARE SO WRONG. IF A PARENT REMARRIES THEN THAT PERSON WILL RAISE THAT CHILD JUST AS SOMEONE WHO ADOPTS A CHILD AND THEY ALSO HAVE THAT SAME RESPONSIBILTY. THATS ALSO WHY I SAY THAT YOU DR PHIL SUPPORTS REBELLION IN CHILDREN. PARENTS STAY FIRM IN WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN RAISING YOUR CHILDREN . WE ARE NOT PERFECT AND EVERY FAMILY WILL NOT BE PERFECT, SO YOU TEENS RESPECT YOUR PARENTS . JUST BECAUSE I SAY THIS, DONT THINK I AM SAYING THAT CHILDREN SHOULD NOT TELL IF THEY WERE MOLESTED OR ABUSED. THEY SHOULD SO THAT THEY CAN BE IN A SAFE PLACE. IM SAYING THAT THESE DAYS THE CHILDREN HAVE MORE POWER OVER PARENTS THESE DAYS. THE SIGNS ARE THERE. OPEN YOUR EYES.
     You are completely wrong.  A step parent does not have rights to the child unless there is an adoption.  You probably think he had a right to molest this girl.

March 10, 2008, 1:50 pm CDT

Quote From: tee_71

Watching you and your daughter today I could just see the stress level in you. I agree many have lied about this kind of thing and it amazes me how many people can be so judgemental as well. My neice accused my son of this and I ended up having to decide in my own mind who was telling the truth. Like you my first thought was OMG how could he do this. Since then my neice has been caught in so many lies about things I do not believe it ever happened.

No one was in your shoes and no one should not jump to assumptions from what they saw on TV. It is to bad neither one took the test I would have liked to have seen the results.

leslie, you suffer from tunnel vision. thank god not all parents raise their children and view their children the way you do. you are twisted. chris is a madman. look at his expressions, behaviors, body language, and hear his tone. he is a control freak. obviously you are an unhealthy woman. not your fault. you have no awareness. or perhaps you wear blinders when viewing the role you have played in your childrens lives and rose colored glasses when it comes to chris. there are many women like you. try some self-help books, therapy, and some self-help groups.

March 10, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

Mother?

What part of "Mother" includes abandoning your child, calling your child names on public television and signing adoption papers????

You married a convict yet you believe him over your own flesh and blood? The apple never falls far from the tree. Whatever your children are putting you through, DEAL WITH IT BECAUSE YOU PLANTED THOSE SEEDS, SISTER.

The smart thing to do would be to demand he take a polygraph test, demand he be nowhere near your child unless and until he is proven innocent. And I mean "innoncent", not just "not guilty". Your 'man' knows the difference.

Pull your head outta your behind, GROW UP, and BE A MOTHER.

Then and ONLY then can your children grow up.

March 10, 2008, 1:52 pm CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

Quote From: rfb1234

I AM SO TIRED OF HEREING PEOPLE SAY THAT THE STEP PARENT HAS NO RIGHT TO THAT CHILD. YOU ARE SO WRONG. IF A PARENT REMARRIES THEN THAT PERSON WILL RAISE THAT CHILD JUST AS SOMEONE WHO ADOPTS A CHILD AND THEY ALSO HAVE THAT SAME RESPONSIBILTY. THATS ALSO WHY I SAY THAT YOU DR PHIL SUPPORTS REBELLION IN CHILDREN. PARENTS STAY FIRM IN WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN RAISING YOUR CHILDREN . WE ARE NOT PERFECT AND EVERY FAMILY WILL NOT BE PERFECT, SO YOU TEENS RESPECT YOUR PARENTS . JUST BECAUSE I SAY THIS, DONT THINK I AM SAYING THAT CHILDREN SHOULD NOT TELL IF THEY WERE MOLESTED OR ABUSED. THEY SHOULD SO THAT THEY CAN BE IN A SAFE PLACE. IM SAYING THAT THESE DAYS THE CHILDREN HAVE MORE POWER OVER PARENTS THESE DAYS. THE SIGNS ARE THERE. OPEN YOUR EYES.
What are these comments based on? This is just baseless rhetoric.

And NO, step parents shouldn't have just as much right to boss some kid around as their real parents. Maybe if the child is a baby or very very small, that might be one thing. But step-parent does not equal parent to an older child.

Open YOUR eyes.

March 10, 2008, 1:53 pm CDT

Daughter is a liar

It is obvious to me that the daughter lies when the situation isn't to her liking.  My sister told some of the same lies, i.e....stepfather molesting her.  The daughter probably even believes her own lies.  I feel bad for the mother.  She does care about her daughter's future but the daughter is too ignorant to know it.

March 10, 2008, 1:53 pm CDT

Abdication of Parenthood.

I don't know if Corina was molested.  I don't know if she's lying.   What I do know is that Leslie is a lazy, sad, pathetic, and weenie of a mother for letting her husband be in charge of discipline for her child.   
Leslie,
Just because you married some slob doesn't mean he's qualified to (or even should) be in charge of your children's discipline.   These are your children.  They are your responsbility.   You chose your husband.  Your children did not.  Grow up, be a real mom and get over yourself. 

March 10, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

i got married at 16

Hello I just wanted to say that i can understand Corrina's mind set. I was in a bad situation with my mother and i met my husband when i was 15 and married him soon after i turned 16 he was 17. he was safe and made me feel loved truly loved. it is hard when your own mother thinks you are a liar now my situation was completely different but similar. we had a rough time in the beginning we had our first child when i was 17 second child at 18 and third child at 19. iam now 23 been married 7 years and extremely happy.if they really want it they can do it it wont be easy but with a little faith and trust they can do it. and hopefully her and her mother can mend there fences. and be a joy to one another. good luck to you.

March 10, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

Everyone needs to listen

I know it is very possible to have someone lie about abuse. But nomatter if this child is a lier or not. ALL abuse alligations should be investagated. Why if he is not guilty  what is the prob with takeing the lie dector test. I am not sure if she is telling the truth but as a mother if my child came to me with this I would not stop till I got to the bottom of it. To many young people are so scared to come forward because the thing no one will listen. If he has done nothing then take the test and end the issue now. Unless he has something to hide.

March 10, 2008, 2:05 pm CDT

03/10 Underage Marriage

Quote From: tee_71

Watching you and your daughter today I could just see the stress level in you. I agree many have lied about this kind of thing and it amazes me how many people can be so judgemental as well. My neice accused my son of this and I ended up having to decide in my own mind who was telling the truth. Like you my first thought was OMG how could he do this. Since then my neice has been caught in so many lies about things I do not believe it ever happened.

No one was in your shoes and no one should not jump to assumptions from what they saw on TV. It is to bad neither one took the test I would have liked to have seen the results.

I can understand you are haveing a hard time but if your husband has nothing to hide tell him to take the test. So that the truth will be out. Then you can take what steps you need to take.  You need to seek the truth full force so that you can heal as well from all the stress

March 10, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

I understand the girl

I married at the age of 14 and please don`t go off on me I am still very happy with my husband, we have been married for almost 31 yrs. So  I know it can work if you ae the right couple.I understand te girlno wanting to go home there should have been someone there for her. I was out of my moms home at the age of 11 and never went back to live.You just don`t know unil you are in those shoes. So I don`t  judge the girl,but the mom she needs to put her  kids before men.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last