Message Boards

Topic : 03/10 Underage Marriage

Number of Replies: 279
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 07, 2008, 11:28:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A teen marriage, accusations of sexual abuse, maternal abandonment – you name it, this family drama has it all. Leslie says she didn’t give permission for her 16-year-old daughter, Corina, to marry Ryan, 18, and now wants the union annulled. Corina says she wants her mother to back off and stay out of her life because she was abandoned, and her mother doesn’t get a vote. She says her mother is retaliating against her because she accused her stepfather, Chris, of molesting her two years ago. Leslie says Corina has a history of lying, and she finds it hard to believe her daughter was sexually abused. Who’s telling the truth? Can this mother-daughter relationship be repaired, and should Corina end her marriage? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 8, 2008, 7:08 am CST

03/10 Underage Marriage

Leslie,

Calling your daughter a liar on Dr. Phil is not a good plan.  Even if you are right--which you seem determined to be--you will win the competition at your daughter's expense.  You will be right, but your daughter will be unhappy.

Far too many women compete with their daughters. 

March 8, 2008, 8:00 am CST

03/10 Underage Marriage

Ssince I don't know all the circunstances about this teenage marriage, I can't give a true opinion. I would reccomend that since they are married, they at least go to pre marital counselling. Some of the circumstances relate to my life. I was married at 16 because my life was terrible at home and I wanted a new life of my own. My husband was young but in the military and there was no help and no interference from anyone.  We both wanted to make our marriage work and I guess we did so far 56 years. There were many problems tthough  and they need to get prepared.  Aunita

March 8, 2008, 9:19 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Marriage Phil Underage. Now you know that is why I will not get marry at all. It is too short of life. Se-

e you on Monday March 10th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------------------------------

March 8, 2008, 9:52 am CST

good luck with this one

I can't believe what kind of a life these mothers had.  Tell mother and daughter to read you book.  Give them one FREE. 

March 8, 2008, 10:25 am CST

NO WAY, HOSEA!!!

With today's premiscious behavior and unlearned lessons about "LIFE", I would tell every underage person to wait until at least graduation from high school or/and a trade school or/and college.  The hormornes are raging when you are teens, but the intellectual knowledge is below level.  Man seem to be going backwards in parental teachings and guardianship.  Actually young people don't even know how to have responsible or good sex.  They are like rabbits going at it for the mere pleasure of having enjoyment.

It sounds as if there has been a lot of unhealthy family dynamics going on and the kids are looking for love in the wrong place.  If only a little less anger in the family could be shown and more mature listening to each other might go a long way.

I pray the relationships build and understanding and reason rule. 

March 8, 2008, 11:17 am CST

Back off!

Mom back off! Let her make her own mistakes! She'll learn! The marriage will either work out or fall apart!  Just be there when and if she needs you! Marriage is difficult at any age. I've been married almost 50 years! Married two days before my 17th birthday!  LORDY!!!!!!!!!

March 8, 2008, 12:17 pm CST

I doubt the 16 year old is lying about the molestation*

1. I believe she was emotionally abandoned

2. I believe her mother would pick her male partner over her own daughter

3. I believe that step-father is as guilty as the sunrises and sets

4. He would be out of that house whether or not she comes back , gets an annulment  or decides mom was right about the  mistake of her marriage, STEP Daddy would be long gone.

5. there would be a lie detector test done on the step-father by the F.B.I or the state patrol only! No other organization.

6. I would not allow a lie detector to be done on the daughter... enough, I suspect the mother to be an un-kind woman.

7. It is too late for an annulment, the girl is married to someone who is only 2 years her  senior. There should be counseling to keep them together and keep them whole.

8. Her mother would get counseling as to why she protects her "male mate" over her own daughter and  is insistent on calling her a liar . No matter what you do not NOT ever take the side of the perp.

9. She needs to get help.. THE MOTHER!

March 8, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

Underage Marriage

Quote From: derevna33

Leslie,

Calling your daughter a liar on Dr. Phil is not a good plan.  Even if you are right--which you seem determined to be--you will win the competition at your daughter's expense.  You will be right, but your daughter will be unhappy.

Far too many women compete with their daughters. 

Not believing your daughter is very common.  I left home at 14 because I was not believed and did not see my mother again for 20 years and the subject has never been resolved.  I did get back to her before she died and had divorced the essobee, but the issue caused me never to get involved with relationshops and your daughter took the other pole; pre-mature marriage to get out of the house.  Whether or not she is mature enough to stick with it is her business and I wish her better luck than I had.

March 8, 2008, 1:19 pm CST

There is hope

I would not say they could not make it. There will be a lot of growing up to do, with intervention it is possible. Every marriage is tough, lots of lessons and compromising to be done. Love is the greatest gift we can give to each other, sex is just a very small part of it; you can do it, you can turn the negatives into positives always. Look for the best in each other and continue to grow in understanding and friendship.  

Sounds like a lot of fear going on, the mother may not only lose her daughter, if it is true of sexual abuse, she may also lose her relationship with her security of a marriage.   

A lot of healing definately needed and forgiveness.

March 8, 2008, 2:38 pm CST

winners?

Wouldn't a lie test answer the daughters accusation? Does the mom really think taking this to a national program to shame the girl will help? When the girl gets pregnant then what, hate some more? Mom needs HELP with what is in her heart, THEN she can begin casting stones.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last