Message Boards

Topic : 03/11 Dr. Phil Now: Targeting the Paparazzi

Number of Replies: 171
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 07, 2008, 11:30:06 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil takes on a hot topic that has people buzzing! They’ve been called wolves, snakes and vultures, and now Hollywood stars want them to back off. They’re the "stalkarazzi" who stop at nothing to get that million dollar photo. What should happen to photographers and videographers who chase celebrities through traffic, harass them and hunt them down like prey? Should they go to jail, or do celebrities give up their right to privacy when they become famous? Los Angeles City Councilman Dennis Zine has created an anti-paparazzi proposal that would impose a personal safety bubble of several feet around public figures who are deemed to be paparazzi targets. Joining the discussion is Russell Turiak, a paparazzi for 30 years, Adrian Grenier, star of HBO’s show Entourage, Hollywood.TV owner Sheeraz Hasan, actress Illeana Douglas, and Brandy Navarre, Vice President of photo agency X17 Online. What do they think of the newly proposed Britney law? Plus, who does musician Gene Simmons say is to blame for the celebrity-obsessed paparazzi? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 8, 2008, 7:25 am CST

Paporotci

Movie stars have a right to private lives.
Jail the poporotci!
Anders

March 8, 2008, 8:17 am CST

Paparazzi...

One of the origins (or THE origin, I'm not sure), of the word "paparazzi" came from the 1960  film La dolce vita, where one of the photographers was named Paparazzo.  Paparazzo is a variation of a Sicilian word for a noisy or buzzing mosquito.

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring99/Johnson/page1.htm

I think that they can border on harrassing.  Then again, if you're famous, they're a permanent attachment to your life, though I definitely think there should be boundaries.  However, they have to make a living like everyone else, too.

Taking a photo in a public place is protected as free speech, unless it's a crime scene or you use it to promote a product.  Legislation gets attention when a celeb has a car wreck or a "Princess Di" moment with the press.  The last thing I saw on California law on paparazzi was the 2005 code that Schwarzennger passed:

"amends the Civil Code in order to provide for, among other things, "physically invad[ing] the privacy of the plaintiff with the intent to capture any type of visual image, sound recording, or other physical
impression of the plaintiff engaging in a personal or familial activity and the physical invasion occurs in a manner that is offensive to a reasonable person..."

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/media_law_prof_blog/2005/10/california_gets.html

In a state where they are more and more voracious and ridiculous,  I think it's more important to put the physical safety of the celeb above the aggressive tactics of the media to obtain their freedom of speech. Surely there are other ways besides assault, battery, and defamation to acheive that. 

March 8, 2008, 8:55 am CST

03/11 Dr. Phil Now: Targeting the Paparazzi

I hate to say this, but WHY is that Million dollar shot sooo important, simple because the Tabloids pay BIG BUCKS for them, and the Tabloids sell, if people didn't buy this stuff, then there would be no need for the Paparazzi.
Do famous people deserve a Private Life, yes they do like the rest of us, however, lets face it when in the public eye EVERYTHING you say or do is up for public Scrutiny,

March 8, 2008, 9:30 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Now Paparazzi Phil Targeting The. I already know about that.  Because of the star are out every day-

and every night. See you on Tuesday March 11th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------

March 8, 2008, 10:11 am CST

paparazzi

I totally agree there should be a law to prohibit the paparazzi from getting to close to the stars.  If they do not or cannot keep a safe distance from stars there should be charges and if needed jail.  No one should be subject to this kind of dangerous behaviour and just because people become famous they should not be subject to this kind of stalking.  Yes Stalking...that is exactly what it is and that is what they should be charged with, stalking.  The stars deserve to have a life devoid of this kind of harassment and stalking and I cannot imagine the torment these people have to endure just because they chose the acting profession.

Heidi

March 8, 2008, 11:25 am CST

The public is to blame

If people weren't  so eager to read every word about and look at every picture of celebrities, the paparazzi would not be in business.  I can't understand why people care what celebrities do.  They're just people--although many of them with extremely low morals.  Do you care what Jane Doe down the street does?  Of course not.  So why care what some movie star/athlete/entertainer does?  Although one can't help be aware of goings on regarding some celebrities, such as Britney Spears and Branjolina, does what they do really matter?  No.  It's nice when some of them do worthwhile things for charitable causes, but a lot of them aren't too bright anyway, so their opinions on politics or life in general just should not influence people the way they seem to.  Does the fact that your favorite actor has come out in support of a particular presidential candidate mean that's the one you should vote for?  Don't be silly--you need to make up your own mind based on how you feel about the issues involved.  If we treated celebrities no differently from the way we treat anyone else, the tabloids would not be willing to pay the paparazzi mega-bucks for invading the privacy of famous people, because no one would be reading the tabloids.  Let's face it, no one in their right mind reads the tabloids, do they?  Only people without lives of their own who want to spice up their loneliness.  If we the public weren't so eager to read all the seamy details about famous people, we'd be much better off and these people could then maybe have a little privacy.

Sharee

March 8, 2008, 12:07 pm CST

jail time

I do feel that the paparazzi takes to much liberity with what they think is their right. All people have the right to have a priviate life.They take it to much to the extreme. Who cares what they do when you or I or others do the same thing as they do. We are not in the paper all the time. Leave them alone

grandmac

March 8, 2008, 12:44 pm CST

Boundaries

I think there should be some boundaries for what Paparazzi can do. I don't think being famous should exempt you from some rights of privacy. I think it is dangerous for them to follow cars. And I feel so sorry for the famous people who can't do anything without being followed by 20 to 30 people with cameras. The fact that there is a market for these pics is no excuse for making a living by stalking. And how does anyone know who these photographers are? They could be any kind of psycho.

March 8, 2008, 12:45 pm CST

03/11 Dr. Phil Now: Targeting the Paparazzi

Quote From: heidiellen

I totally agree there should be a law to prohibit the paparazzi from getting to close to the stars.  If they do not or cannot keep a safe distance from stars there should be charges and if needed jail.  No one should be subject to this kind of dangerous behaviour and just because people become famous they should not be subject to this kind of stalking.  Yes Stalking...that is exactly what it is and that is what they should be charged with, stalking.  The stars deserve to have a life devoid of this kind of harassment and stalking and I cannot imagine the torment these people have to endure just because they chose the acting profession.

Heidi

Bravo to you're message. I couldn't have put it better.

March 8, 2008, 12:52 pm CST

Movie Stars have a right

Quote From: anders1ca

Movie stars have a right to private lives.
Jail the poporotci!
Anders
 No matter If You are a movie Star are the Presdent off the US You should have the wriht to you Privecy.
 Not only do they have a wright to their privecy on their property ,they should protect themseves by shooting the "PAPARAZZ" in the AAA for violating IT.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last