Message Boards

Topic : 03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 248
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 14, 2008, 02:35:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you stuck in an emotional, marital or financial rut? Dr. Phil has advice for reshaping your future, and he’s bringing reinforcements! Joining him is Bishop T.D. Jakes, pastor of one of the fastest-growing mega-churches in the country and author of Reposition Yourself. First up, Dr. Phil and Bishop Jakes tackle a shocking story that made headlines. Tongues wagged when New York Governor Eliot Spitzer resigned over a sex scandal. Should his wife, Silda, have stood by his side? Robin weighs in with a woman’s perspective. And, Rachelle says her husband, Rob, was unjustly fired from his job as a police officer more than eight years ago, and the incident was highly publicized. Rob says his life was turned upside down and admits he hasn't been much of a father or husband since the firing. His four children say they want their "vacation dad" to be their full-time dad. What's really at the root of Rob's pain, and what will it take for him to return to being the man Rachelle married? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 24, 2008, 3:02 pm CDT

Am I the only one?:

March 24, 2008, 3:14 pm CDT

Bishop Jakes

Am I the only one that noticed the discreet connection from the woman in the audience talking about infidelity, etc.  She said "I would have to pray about it as you prayed for me about it, I couldn't accept infidelity and that is all I have to say"  The camera goes to Bishop Jakes and he is looking nervous, licking his lips, glancing at his wife almost as if he is headed for trouble,  then quickly looks away.  Am I missing something, or am I imagining something?  I had to rewind and replay several times, but still got the same impression. 

March 24, 2008, 4:58 pm CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

I believe the greatest disservice we do to each other, is to give up.  I applaud Eliot Spitzer's wife in standing by him, and Hilary standing by Bill.  I may not agree with the way it was done, but I agree with the efforts.  Too many spouses give up up on each other, for trivial as well as significant things.  The bottom line is we need to be less me, and more us, or even more difficult more 'you'.  It is after all selfishness that puts us in these difficult situations.

As for Rob and Rachelle, Rachelle keep up the efforts.  Rob quit judging yourself for doing your job.  Like Dr. Phil says you need quit being the jury on yourself.  You cannot change the past, so change the future.  That starts now, by forging the father and husband you want to be.  Make the decision to be the difference maker in people's lives.  Make the decision to make other people happy, as you do so they will give back to you 10 fold.  Misery may love company, but you do not have to choose misery.  It is miserable doing so, and it only gets worse.  Choose happiness, people like it better, it is contagious, every one likes to laugh, every one loves a warm smile.  Choose to be happy, choose to make others happy.  Try it, you will see the rewards.

March 26, 2008, 8:45 am CDT

Relating to the ex police officer

This segment of the show truley touched my heart because I was also a police officer and lost my job 6 years ago in a similar fashion. My situation also received national attention and the circumstances of it were through no fault of my own. As I watched the guy on the show, I saw so much of myslef in him, I truley felt his pain first hand. I am so grateful that the Dr. Phil show choose to air a topic like this because it helped me to feel like I wasnt alone in the world. I pray that he finds the strenght to have peace with himself and for his wife to regain her husband, and for his kids to get their dad back. 

March 26, 2008, 8:53 am CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: ausiesfriend

Like the Police department that fired Officer Rob, you just judged him without listening to the facts! Attempted homicide, that means nobody got killed. He did not try to drive off, he tried to run officer Rob down, is that not attempted homicide?  I know officer Rob personally, he is one of the most unselfish persons I know, he has lost alot because of this incident. Yea I get real %& off when people sit back in there easy chairs and pass judgment on others. Officer Rob was a very dedicated officer. And very good at his job. He was also very proud of the oath that he took to protect you and your right to sit and stuff your face in front of the TV and pass judgment. I am very glad to see that he is getting the help that he needs. I have prayed for him for many years now, and hope that he will be able to let someone heal him. Like most officers he is a proud man and put his whole heart and soul into his job... You can say that his soul was his job and he took great pride in that job... Rob, heres to ya bud...take this opportunity and let Dr, Phil and his team help you out. If anyone deserves a chance at happiness again it is you...

Thank you Dr. Phil for helping Rob and his beautiful family... They have been through hell...

CK. 

I am so thankful that you responded this way. I was so furious when I read the other person quote and you literally took the words out of my mouth. Rob is very blessed to have as a friend.

March 26, 2008, 10:44 am CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I watched the show about the Spitzers...  I'm even more shocked as I read through some of these comments.  It continues to baffle me that people are so sure of what they would do if their spouse cheated on them...  I spent many years being one of those women. I'll kick his butt and her's when I'm done..  When the situation arose in my own life the response was different..  After the shock, devestation, pain, grief, humiliation, confusion.. you name it there was some anger.  Anger is such a small emotion when compared with the others..  I remember when Hilary Clinton stood by Bill Clinton and I jumped up on my moral high horse and said what a disgrace she was to a "strong women" like myself..  I read a similar comment here today.  As a STRONG woman I stood by my husband after his infidelity. I will stand beside him, behind him, in front of him for the world to see.  I thank God every day for giving me that experience. It was a very humbling experience that taught me to be thankful for all the times that I made mistakes and no one was able to judge me.  I will not, should not and can not judge my husband for making a mistake.  There were several..  it was not a one night OOPS..  Love, patience, forgiveness these are beautiful things that make you STRONGER.  I am not a weak person or a bad example.  I stand by my decision and feel that  I have set a good example as a woman.  I can see my husband for what he is,  a flawed human that is doing his best every day of his life. 

I pray for Mrs. Spitzer that she will also come to have pride in her decision..  if the marriage doesn't work in the long run I will be sad for her.  I have much respect for her and what she did.  My heart hurts for her that she had to bear this through public scrutiny.

To all who make such harsh criticism, I pray you never go through something like this but if you do that you won't be judged.  I ask that before you make predictions of how you would react look at your spouse, your kids, your family and friends..  it's impossible to know......

March 27, 2008, 2:01 pm CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: rainpainrain

O...M...G...seriously? That sounds like a terrible book! That isn't how you have a relationship! OMG!!!!

Yes I was raised LDS. How'd you guess?! LOL jk!!! But yeah, most of my family is Mormon.

We get 4 kinds of hummingbirds here:

• Black-chinned Hummingbird
  • Broad-tailed Hummingbird
  • Rufous Hummingbird
  • Calliope Hummingbird (migration through the end of summer)
By the end of summer my feeders are NUTS. I have hummingbirds perched out on trees waiting for their chance to feed! LOL! I will get pics this summer and share them with you for sure. (Last year I didn't get my new camera until they were all almost gone.) I have them buzzing around, fighting, chirping at each other...it's really wild!
Just thought, living in Utah, you might have had some exposure to Mormonism. On a cross country trip with my parents, 42 years ago, I saw the Salt Lake City temple, all lit up. If I ever make it back, I'm taking a photo of it, long exposure, at night.
Left for Savannah on Sunday and got back last night, but didn't have time to hand-feed any birds. Didn't get to stay at Dunes Inn, on Tybee Island, where we'd planned. Diane C, the day shift desk clerk told us our favorite room would be available, but, when we got there, Diane B, the bitchy evening and weekend clerk, kept barking at us that the room wasn't available. So, we stayed at a mid-town Savanannah motel for $20 less per night. Then, before we left for home, we went back to the Dunes and let Diane C, the nice one,'t know why we didn't stay there. Turned out, the room was available. Just needed cleaning and wouldn't have been ready for two more hours. We would've gladly waited, but Diane B, even when we asked if it needed cleaning first, just kept saying it wasn't available. We thought she'd rented it to someone else, just to spite Diane C. The motel manager said that Diane B is jealous of Diane C. I told her that Diane B cost them $207 to $276 worth of business by refusing us the room. And, ought to be fired.
While I didn't feed any birds, I concentrated on photographing gulls with a telephoto lens and got some good results. Including two shots of a gull with its mouth open.
We're planning on going to Gatlinburg/'Pigeon Forge, TN Saturday and coming back Monday. I'll concentrate on deer and, if I'm lucky, black bear. It's about time for them to come out of hibernation. Last Spring, I camcorded a mother and three cubs in a tree. My husband took pictures. And, in one, the mother's asleep, with her front legs hanging down.
Our Ruby-throated hummers are pretty, but I'd like to see your kind, too. Read that Central and South American hummers are eight inches long. Can you imagine how their wings sound?

May 9, 2008, 8:10 am CDT

To "Kay"

Quote From: jklanier

I DID wake up! That's why the other woman let's me know when he TRIES to contact her! This other woman is my husband's ex-girlfriend from high school & she didn't know my husband was lying to her. She was thankful I kept her from making a fool of herself by believing him. I know he's a fool, but after 38 years he's my fool! He only thinks he's getting away with things. Even his coworkers snitch on him now! I'm not saying my marriage is perfect, there's no such thing, God tells us that, but believe when my husband goes too far he won't know what hit him after the attorney I have already spoken with gets through with him. Yes, I spoke with an attorney when I first found out. Like my mother told me, "I didn't raise a fool, & she is not stupid either." In fact, he pulled something just lately & I updated the paperwork so when he walks off that cliff he will only get what he brought into the marriage. Which wasn't much, plus whatever his mother & family have given him. So don't worry, I can smell the coffee!!
LOL
OXO
Kay

I just read your reply (I only check in once-in-a-blue-moon)...Of course, I don't "walk in your shoes" and can empathise to an extent.  I really do hope that you eventually make it thru this situation and come out of it a much wiser person for it!  Like the saying goes, "Fool me once...shame on you.  Fool me twice...shame on ME!"  Your husband is obviously NOT giving up on his pursuit and this should speak VOLUMES to you that he doesn't regard you OR your feelings whatsoever.  IF I were you, I'd FILE those divorce papers once and for all and cut his sorry a$$ loose to let him get on with his life, looking for whatever the hell it is he can't find in you.  You really do deserve sooo much better, so STOP selling yourself short!

OXO
Lucy B.

First | Prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next Page | Last Page