Message Boards

Topic : 03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 248
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 14, 2008, 02:35:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you stuck in an emotional, marital or financial rut? Dr. Phil has advice for reshaping your future, and he’s bringing reinforcements! Joining him is Bishop T.D. Jakes, pastor of one of the fastest-growing mega-churches in the country and author of Reposition Yourself. First up, Dr. Phil and Bishop Jakes tackle a shocking story that made headlines. Tongues wagged when New York Governor Eliot Spitzer resigned over a sex scandal. Should his wife, Silda, have stood by his side? Robin weighs in with a woman’s perspective. And, Rachelle says her husband, Rob, was unjustly fired from his job as a police officer more than eight years ago, and the incident was highly publicized. Rob says his life was turned upside down and admits he hasn't been much of a father or husband since the firing. His four children say they want their "vacation dad" to be their full-time dad. What's really at the root of Rob's pain, and what will it take for him to return to being the man Rachelle married? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 16, 2008, 4:46 pm CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: vernonhr741

I wholeheartly agree with the person above.     The thought came into my mind several days ago.     People don't like to be "found out", in other words having their deeds come to light and the ones on Wall Street that committed all these bad mortgage practices are no exception.     Do you know what the word "practice" means.     It is closely associated with the word "method".    If I read some of the stuff correctly about Elliot Spitzer, he was very zealous for getting after the ones on Wall Street who were committing their follyous deeds and they did not like so they were looking for a weak spot in Spitzer to trap him and they did.     It is always in the nature of people who are in the wrong to do stuff like that.     We all have weak spots.     I think even T.D. Jakes might have a weak spot.     The thought came into my mind to Google the search terms "T.D. Jakes" and "prosperity gospel" together and somewhere it said "Results 1 - 10 of about 25,000 for "T.D. Jakes" "prosperity gospel".
You could very well be right. But can you agree with me that Spitzer should not have been spending thousands of dollars on a 22 year old prostitute?

March 16, 2008, 4:51 pm CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

It's your thing." an old song that should be played for todays 'delusional folks.

March 16, 2008, 6:27 pm CDT

A tough question

Quote From: housewife52

You could very well be right. But can you agree with me that Spitzer should not have been spending thousands of dollars on a 22 year old prostitute?

You posed a hard question to answer but I do believe from what I have seen out in the field is when people in high places visit prostitutes, they talk in thousands of dollars if you know what I am mean and when local people in third world countries visit prostitutes, they talk in very small amounts of money like single dollars or even less.   Their scale is way, way different.   I remember when I was in Guatemala maybe about 15-20 years ago when I was spending my winters there, I was at a very rudimentary place of accommodations on the Pacific Coast.  One of the nights I was there, another fellow tourist happened to be staying there and he was inquiring about whether there were any prostitutes in town he could visit and the proprietor gave him the names of several and he visited them and he said "they were too expensive, four dollars a shot".   

I say the thousands of dollars a shot that government official spend on a prostitute is like a very highly inflated amount.  When the money abounds, the prices are high.  Where money is extremely scarce like in some third world countries, the scale is way, way different.  If government officials didn't have such high salaries, the prostitutes would be charging much less.    By the way, I bet Spitzer wasn't the only one patronizing these Washington DC prostitutes or else they would not be in business.     I bet there is more going on out there than we would like to see.

March 16, 2008, 6:58 pm CDT

Eliot Spitzer

Iagree with "housewife 52" and "jebo 57" no one has any business at all to be analyzing Mrs.Silda Spitzer wright now,when she needs all the support and love  for her daughters and  family. Her desicion to stand beside her husband is her business alone and no one else. Remember the vows that they took "in good tmes and bad times". Mrs.Spitzer is an educated and  intelligent woman and I am sure she will make up desicion when she is ready. Whether she forgives him or not or whether she leaves him or stays married

that is her and her daughters  and husband will decide for themselves.Just because they were in the public eye, does'nt mean that the public long nose should be poking in their family affairs.His resign,we should leave them alone to deal with the situation they are in.Good luck to you Mrs.Spitzer and I'm praying for you and your family.   

March 16, 2008, 7:28 pm CDT

That Is the Problem

I wholeheartly agree with the person above.     The thought came into my mind several days ago.     People don't like to be "found out", in other words having their deeds come to light and the ones on Wall Street that committed all these bad mortgage practices are no exception.     Do you know what the word "practice" means.     It is closely associated with the word "method".    If I read some of the stuff correctly about Elliot Spitzer, he was very zealous for getting after the ones on Wall Street who were committing their follyous deeds and they did not like so they were looking for a weak spot in Spitzer to trap him and they did.     It is always in the nature of people who are in the wrong to do stuff like that.     We all have weak spots.     I think even T.D. Jakes might have a weak spot.     The thought came into my mind to Google the search terms "T.D. Jakes" and "prosperity gospel" together and somewhere it said "Results 1 - 10 of about 25,000 for "T.D. Jakes" "prosperity gospel".
When people in public office dabble in illegal activity of any kind they are open to blackmail, extortion and other crimes against THEM.  Bill Clinton could have faced extortion from his little fling rather than merely embarrassment.  Our political leaders need to realize that what they do can and will come back to haunt them.  The offices that they hold require them to be beyond reproach. 

Spitzer put himself, his family and my state in this position.  He alone is to blame. 

March 16, 2008, 8:20 pm CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: fattie

Why all of a sudden is this Pastor on almost every week?  Is he all knowing or something?  Why in this country does everything have to come down to religion.   Now your show seems to think this will pull in more of the so called "good people."   I am so sick of these pastors that get on every show there is today and people act like they know so much more than anyone else.  This just goes along with how stupid the shows are getting.  I turn it off now more than I ever did.

Disgusted

Agreed.

March 16, 2008, 9:58 pm CDT

Stand by your man??

Quote From: lcb81860

You say that this "other woman" informs you whenever your husband Emails her and you're STILL with him???  How much longer/what's it gonna take for you to WAKE UP to realization???

OXO
Lucy

I DID wake up! That's why the other woman let's me know when he TRIES to contact her! This other woman is my husband's ex-girlfriend from high school & she didn't know my husband was lying to her. She was thankful I kept her from making a fool of herself by believing him. I know he's a fool, but after 38 years he's my fool! He only thinks he's getting away with things. Even his coworkers snitch on him now! I'm not saying my marriage is perfect, there's no such thing, God tells us that, but believe when my husband goes too far he won't know what hit him after the attorney I have already spoken with gets through with him. Yes, I spoke with an attorney when I first found out. Like my mother told me, "I didn't raise a fool, & she is not stupid either." In fact, he pulled something just lately & I updated the paperwork so when he walks off that cliff he will only get what he brought into the marriage. Which wasn't much, plus whatever his mother & family have given him. So don't worry, I can smell the coffee!!
LOL
OXO
Kay

March 17, 2008, 3:32 am CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

You posed a hard question to answer but I do believe from what I have seen out in the field is when people in high places visit prostitutes, they talk in thousands of dollars if you know what I am mean and when local people in third world countries visit prostitutes, they talk in very small amounts of money like single dollars or even less.   Their scale is way, way different.   I remember when I was in Guatemala maybe about 15-20 years ago when I was spending my winters there, I was at a very rudimentary place of accommodations on the Pacific Coast.  One of the nights I was there, another fellow tourist happened to be staying there and he was inquiring about whether there were any prostitutes in town he could visit and the proprietor gave him the names of several and he visited them and he said "they were too expensive, four dollars a shot".   

I say the thousands of dollars a shot that government official spend on a prostitute is like a very highly inflated amount.  When the money abounds, the prices are high.  Where money is extremely scarce like in some third world countries, the scale is way, way different.  If government officials didn't have such high salaries, the prostitutes would be charging much less.    By the way, I bet Spitzer wasn't the only one patronizing these Washington DC prostitutes or else they would not be in business.     I bet there is more going on out there than we would like to see.

The thing is, Spitzer left a trail, so to speak. He set HIMSELF up to be found out. I think any high profile person has to be very careful what they do. I'm sure there are those who would love to catch DrP in a compromising situation, because he is a celebrity who presents himself as being a long married faithful husband. No one is perfect but some things make better headlines than others. I agree, Spitzer's probably not the only one patronizing those prostitutes, but he's the one we  KNOW about at the moment. I wonder if it was worth the consequences?

March 17, 2008, 3:43 am CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: radini

Iagree with "housewife 52" and "jebo 57" no one has any business at all to be analyzing Mrs.Silda Spitzer wright now,when she needs all the support and love  for her daughters and  family. Her desicion to stand beside her husband is her business alone and no one else. Remember the vows that they took "in good tmes and bad times". Mrs.Spitzer is an educated and  intelligent woman and I am sure she will make up desicion when she is ready. Whether she forgives him or not or whether she leaves him or stays married

that is her and her daughters  and husband will decide for themselves.Just because they were in the public eye, does'nt mean that the public long nose should be poking in their family affairs.His resign,we should leave them alone to deal with the situation they are in.Good luck to you Mrs.Spitzer and I'm praying for you and your family.   

I think we all had different reactions to seeing Mrs. Spitzer standing there in front of the cameras with her husband. My thought was, "What a strong woman to be able to do that." I didn't necessarily think she was supporting what he did. I'm not really sure exactly WHY she chose to be there. In my thinking it would have been a lot easier to NOT be there. I asked my husband what he thought when he saw her standing there and he said,"I wondered what the hell she was doing out there." So, I guess we all looked at it in different ways. Ultimately , the couple ,alone will have to sort this out and she will have to figure out what she wants to do. I have never gone through this in my private life, I can't imagine having the whole country looking at my marriage under a microscope. I have a lot of compassion for the wife and daughters.

March 17, 2008, 3:50 am CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: wiseenough

It's your thing." an old song that should be played for todays 'delusional folks.

Are you talking about "It's your thing, do what ya wanna do

I can't tell ya who ta sock it to"?

And who are the "delusional folks"?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last