Message Boards

Topic : 03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Number of Replies: 248
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 14, 2008, 02:35:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you stuck in an emotional, marital or financial rut? Dr. Phil has advice for reshaping your future, and he’s bringing reinforcements! Joining him is Bishop T.D. Jakes, pastor of one of the fastest-growing mega-churches in the country and author of Reposition Yourself. First up, Dr. Phil and Bishop Jakes tackle a shocking story that made headlines. Tongues wagged when New York Governor Eliot Spitzer resigned over a sex scandal. Should his wife, Silda, have stood by his side? Robin weighs in with a woman’s perspective. And, Rachelle says her husband, Rob, was unjustly fired from his job as a police officer more than eight years ago, and the incident was highly publicized. Rob says his life was turned upside down and admits he hasn't been much of a father or husband since the firing. His four children say they want their "vacation dad" to be their full-time dad. What's really at the root of Rob's pain, and what will it take for him to return to being the man Rachelle married? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 17, 2008, 3:54 am CDT

Bishop T.D Jakes/ Gov Spitzer

I do believe it was the right thing for Governor Spritzer to do was to step down. Now the  state can get on with it's day to day business instead of spending tax dollars trying to find out weather or not he had an affair.

While I do not agree with  what he did I applaud him for being man enough to stand up and say "yes I made a mistake"!!  I remember the former Clinton administration when at every press conference instead of  wanting to talk about issues the affected out nation the question was always being brought up about Monica Lewinsky. In my opinion he should have stepped down then, because that was all we seemed to hear about from that point on. 

March 17, 2008, 4:05 am CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: fattie

Why all of a sudden is this Pastor on almost every week?  Is he all knowing or something?  Why in this country does everything have to come down to religion.   Now your show seems to think this will pull in more of the so called "good people."   I am so sick of these pastors that get on every show there is today and people act like they know so much more than anyone else.  This just goes along with how stupid the shows are getting.  I turn it off now more than I ever did.

Disgusted

I think having Pastor Jakes there presents an alternate view and this view certainly sparks a lot of debate on the boards. I have never seen Jakes speak other than on DrP, but I HAVE to believe he tones himself down for the show. I don't always agree with him, but I DO find him to be reasonable.

March 17, 2008, 4:11 am CDT

03/17 Bishop T.D. Jakes

Quote From: jklanier

Stand by your man may have been a good song title, but having been that woman not once but twice now, I can tell you it's not good advice. The Bible tells us this is the only REAL excuse for a legal divorce for a woman!! I speak from my own heart when I say that NO woman deserves this treatment nor the embaracement attached to it!! I say this because I caught my husband just before he strayed & let the woman know via email to stay away from him, it worked. Now she informs me when he emails her. We women really are smarter. If a man tries it a second time he deserves whatever the judge decides he gets.
Did you also let him know via face to face to stop e-mailing the other woman?

March 17, 2008, 7:05 am CDT

Fear

With all due respect to Bishop Jakes, I didn't like the "tip toe" approach he had when it came to criticizing the governor's actions. Maybe he didn't want it to seem like he had a political agenda, since many of the church rally behind political issues but I feel Spitzer deserved criticism.

The day we are afraid to criticize public officials is the day our country begins its slow, gradual decline into ineffective corruption. They are public officials, when they become governor they become a public person- that is to promote accountability and prevent officials from becoming "untouchable."

Spending $80,000 on prostitutes is not just a private mistake, it's an indication of a sense of entitlement, like Dr. Phil said, and that should never be above criticism. Why? As a woman, I see involvement in prostitution as indication that he considers women like property that can be bought and sold. Women voted for him, they are members of the voting public that he is supposed to represent. Therefore, I don't think someone with this attitude has any business being in a public office and I think he deserves the criticism.

If this other business about him exposing corrupt banks is true, it just indicates that he is a raindrop in the cesspool of corrupt politicians that pollute our government.

March 17, 2008, 7:05 am CDT

Police Officer Father of 4

Wow. this show really moved me! Every once in a while a show will bring me to tears and this was one of them! I really sensed this man has a wonderful heart and deeply wants released from this prison he is in. I pray for him and encourage everyone else to because he has a great  loving wife and 4 great kids that need him. And HE needs himself. Depression is such an aweful thing. Dr. Phil setting him up with the recruiter gave him such hope his his gleemed.Thats when I started crying my eyes out,lol. WHAT A TOUCHING STORY!

March 17, 2008, 7:11 am CDT

TD Jakes on the show

I am enjoying the show more than ever now that the Bishop makes appearances! LOVE him! Kuddos Dr Phil . Im sure you get a lot of flack for choosing a spiritual man man good for you for being true to yourself and making a stand and not caring what they think. Keep him coming!!!!!!!!!! 

March 17, 2008, 7:17 am CDT

Wife standing behind her man

I only have one comment for the show today... She knew what he was doing or anyone in their right mind would be gone....

March 17, 2008, 7:34 am CDT

My thoguht about Mrs. Spitzer

I think it is worth remembering that women in Mrs. Spitzer's position have years of conditioning in sublimating themselves in support of their husband's career and ambitions.

Standing with him is just something she has conditioned herself to do and the real woman will show up in  the days to come when he is no longer this public figure she has to support.

March 17, 2008, 8:00 am CDT

Yeah...

Quote From: missy_kitty

Agreed.

Kudos to his family, facing the media, who wanted to crucify Spitzer, that must have been tough.  There's a subtle villification of them, standing beside the pariahed Gov.  Sorry media, I'm not convinced. You think he'd be able to cover his tracks so that it wouldn't come back to him, if he did this, he used to blow whistles on these rings.

As for Bishop Jakes...is he like a Catholic Bishop?  How did he get that title?  I've never heard of a "Bishop" preaching in a Protestant venue before.  So he's on the show promoting his book(s) and put a moral spin on Spitzer's situation cause if he had good Christian morals, this never would have happened, right?  Spitzer is Jewish, so maybe a Rabbi would have been a better choice.

March 17, 2008, 8:53 am CDT

Lose the anger and prejudice, please...

Quote From: fattie

Why all of a sudden is this Pastor on almost every week?  Is he all knowing or something?  Why in this country does everything have to come down to religion.   Now your show seems to think this will pull in more of the so called "good people."   I am so sick of these pastors that get on every show there is today and people act like they know so much more than anyone else.  This just goes along with how stupid the shows are getting.  I turn it off now more than I ever did.

Disgusted

I feel sorry for you to be so angry and hostile...and to label everyone who is a practicing Christian as one is simply unfair. You do realize that is the definition of prejudice, don't you?

Rev. Jakes is not on every week. Besides, he seldom gives homilies (those are sermons) and he's not speaking from the pulpit. He seems to have much common sense and attempt to speak to people on a level everyone can understand. He has never claimed to know any more than anyone else. It appears you feel inferior. Please remember the old saying, "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Why is it YOU are holding Rev. Jakes up higher than yourself and others? I don't. He's just a man trying to make lives better for others. We should ALL aspire to do that.

YOU should be happy that televsion today is mostly secular. Christianity, much less any other religion, has been pretty much cast out of Hollywood and the media. What we have been left with is shows that deal with sex without the consequences (sex is glamourized and things like unwanted pregnancy, abortion, disease, etc are seldom shown), adultry, sleeping around, divorce being acceptable, drinking and drugging (without showing the consequences), violence (often with the bad guy winning, unlike how it was 2 decades ago), etc. There is little "religion" on television today or at the movie theaters, so I have NO CLUE as to what you could possibly be speaking about...

There are many "good people" in the world. People who practice their religion may not be any more "good" than those who don't, but the difference is that they are at least trying. They are doing what God calls them to do. And for Christians, they are supposed to be following the teachings of Christ, even if they are not popular or politically correct or difficult.

See Rev. Jakes for the MAN that he is. Please lose your prejudice against religious people. You cannot be very happy walking around with all that anger and resentment. I hope you find peace in your life in in yourself. Life is too short to be angry. Happy people don't feel the need to lash out at others and generalize the way you did....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last