Message Boards

Topic : 03/18 Love Junkies

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 14, 2008, 02:37:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you in love with being in love? Do you jump from relationship to relationship because you can’t stand the thought of being single? Dr. Phil’s first guest, Dawn, says she definitely fits this description. The 42-year-old says she’s been hopping from guy to guy since she was 14, has been married and divorced four times and is now in a three-year relationship and feeling the itch. Dawn’s current boyfriend, Paul, feels like he's being used and says he’s not ready to be her fifth ex-husband! Kurtis, Dawn’s 22-year-old son, says it’s high time his mom settled down. Is Paul really Dawn's true love or should he pack his things and hit the road? Then, Joanne says her cousin, Theresa, is obsessed with her boyfriend, Ken. Joanne and Theresa’s sister, Christine, say Ken is mentally abusive, but no matter what he does, Theresa keeps going back for more. They say Ken threw Theresa, her kids and all their belongings out on the front yard for the entire neighborhood to see, and she still took him back. Joanne and Christine aren’t the only ones who dislike Ken. Theresa’s mom says she can’t stand him either -- to the point where she hasn’t spoken to her daughter in nearly two years! Theresa says she just can’t live without her man, and her relatives will have to deal with their relationship. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s plan for mending this broken family and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 18, 2008, 12:15 pm CDT

Dr Phil looks cute in brown:)

I think I'm very used to the blacks & greys.  Nice job Robin:)
As for Love Junkies...I've seen them.  Hopefully he'll get her some self-finding counseling...she's missing something.  You don't need a pushoever, you need a man.  I'm so glad my fiance doesn't back down, he tells me how he feels and we've gotten through a lot of different "issues" so much easier because we can talk about things. 
I think she's confused about the definition of love....
I love Dr Phil...

March 18, 2008, 12:16 pm CDT

03/18 Love Junkies

Quote From: willvan

I can remember when I was a child that I was always looking for someone to love me. Then, when I grew up I realized that the only one you can control is yourself and the one thing you absolutely cannot do is make someone else love you. The only thing you can do is love others and hope that someone will come to love you. If that happens, you will be lucky and if you recognize it, hold onto her with everything you have. Dawn's problem is that she wants someone else to love her but she is not willing to love someone else. In all those years with all those men she was never willing to commit herself. Why should anyone else commit to her when she is unwilling to reciprocate? You have to be willing to take a chance and hope that you can work it out. 
"...that she wants someone else to love her but she is not willing to love someone else " hits the nail right on the head. The "unconditional love" she demands from men? The question that kept coming to mind throughout the show? Where the hell is her unconditional love for them? If her man-du-jour leaves the toilet seat up, or a pair of socks on the floor, she throws him out like yesterday's news.

March 18, 2008, 12:33 pm CDT

03/18 Love Junkies

Quote From: nperry123

I listened to a little bit of her crap and just think that after that many men in her life and all the failed marriages the only common denominator is her. Call it a disease or a disorder or just a problem but quit ruining peoples lives and quit trying to make people think you are the victim. It is only you that causes these issues in your own life. JUST GIVE UP and no more people will get hurt. It is not the end of the world to be single. I have been single for 3 years after a 9 year marriage and I was cheated on several times by my wife. I have never been more happy and now realize that happiness is an emotion that can only come from you. No one can ever "make" you happy. Men are being hurt all over this world because of women like her and to them it is just a problem that they need to work on..blah, blah, blah. If you want men to act like men then stop acting like a highschool girl at a party with a list hidden in her jewelry box of how many guys you bagged, and start acting like a woman whom should be the foundation of love and stability that the family structure is missing so badly in modern times. If you want to know where society has went wrong it is with women like this. Disorder...Please, just give up your childhood and you will be fine.
I'm getting so weary of sorry behavior being excused as diseases and disorders. Or, blamed on someone else. I wish Dr Phil would quit buying into this crap. Whatever happened to "taking ownership" of our behavior? On today's show, it's blame 28 years of treating men like yesterday's news on some kids who teased us 35 years ago.

March 18, 2008, 12:38 pm CDT

afraid to love?

Quote From: ramair

"...that she wants someone else to love her but she is not willing to love someone else " hits the nail right on the head. The "unconditional love" she demands from men? The question that kept coming to mind throughout the show? Where the hell is her unconditional love for them? If her man-du-jour leaves the toilet seat up, or a pair of socks on the floor, she throws him out like yesterday's news.

I think that she is afraid to love anyone because of the early rejections she experienced. And it also seems as if no amount of love from others is enough for her. She is a bottomless pit right now.

So this does pose a dilemma, doesn't it?  She wants the love of others but will not give it in return.  I believe that the only solution is for her to learn to love herself first, then maybe she can give love to another; and receive as well as be happy with the love from one special person.

March 18, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

love junkies

wow, this lady.. she seems proud of her 3 marriages and several relationships, as if she is HOT, and she is not. I wish that she would have done more listening to Dr. Phil and less talking. If she had listened to Dr. Phil, she would have done less grinning, she would be a bit less proud of her track record.

this man in her life, is too nice for her, she is going to get tired of him, because he is not a challenge for her. I hope that he don't get ruined, because the next person he meets will pay the price for the pain she put him through, this is true for men or women that treat people good, they end up with someone that is only there for the thril.

March 18, 2008, 2:12 pm CDT

DR PHIL Dr Phil DR PHIL

Dr Phil can you get some better show"S ON PLEASE

WHO CARES IF THEY ARE GOING IN AND OUT OF SO CALL LOVE!

GET SOME HAPPIER PLEASE AND GET SOMETHING BETTER

March 18, 2008, 2:13 pm CDT

love junkies

Quote From: farmerswifeny

I think I'm very used to the blacks & greys.  Nice job Robin:)
As for Love Junkies...I've seen them.  Hopefully he'll get her some self-finding counseling...she's missing something.  You don't need a pushoever, you need a man.  I'm so glad my fiance doesn't back down, he tells me how he feels and we've gotten through a lot of different "issues" so much easier because we can talk about things. 
I think she's confused about the definition of love....
I love Dr Phil...
I am interpreting this situation as one in which she needs to develop and use the skill of conflict resolution.  Now her solution is to run.  She needs to learn and practice the skill of expressing her unhappiness with the perceived problem and then working toward a solution.  This is hard to do but so much better than running.  I don't think she is a bottomless pit (Dr. Phil's words) but someone who lacks skills of conflict resolution.

March 18, 2008, 2:18 pm CDT

I just went thru this

My best friend was dating a Dawn clone for the past 3 years. Yep, she dumped him just before Christmas, absolutely devistating him. Of course, she was seeing someone new before ending the relationship with him. This was the "girl of his dreams", and he planned on spending the rest of his life with her.  Naturally, she was living with another guy when she started seeing him. In fact, the only two differences between her and Dawn - she's only been married once (2 kids), and she's 42 years old. I spent many a night on his couch for about 2 months, since he could't be left alone. He's over it now, since she served him with a restraining order. And he still hasn't gotten his stuff back yet.

March 18, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

EGOCENTRICITY

This woman is a player!  It seems to me that she thinks she' s better than the men chooses.  Perhaps she needs to be kicked to the curb so she can see how it feels.  She is a user and abuser. 

Her big "AHA" moments with Dr. Phil seem to be contrived.  I think all this attention from Dr. Phil is still stroking her ego.  I'm recommending serious therapy!!

March 18, 2008, 2:39 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: nperry123

I listened to a little bit of her crap and just think that after that many men in her life and all the failed marriages the only common denominator is her. Call it a disease or a disorder or just a problem but quit ruining peoples lives and quit trying to make people think you are the victim. It is only you that causes these issues in your own life. JUST GIVE UP and no more people will get hurt. It is not the end of the world to be single. I have been single for 3 years after a 9 year marriage and I was cheated on several times by my wife. I have never been more happy and now realize that happiness is an emotion that can only come from you. No one can ever "make" you happy. Men are being hurt all over this world because of women like her and to them it is just a problem that they need to work on..blah, blah, blah. If you want men to act like men then stop acting like a highschool girl at a party with a list hidden in her jewelry box of how many guys you bagged, and start acting like a woman whom should be the foundation of love and stability that the family structure is missing so badly in modern times. If you want to know where society has went wrong it is with women like this. Disorder...Please, just give up your childhood and you will be fine.

Hi,

You sound like a great guy. I agree with you totally about woman doing this, there is no stability anymore.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like you'll be single for long!!!

have a nice day

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last