Message Boards

Topic : 03/18 Love Junkies

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 14, 2008, 02:37:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you in love with being in love? Do you jump from relationship to relationship because you can’t stand the thought of being single? Dr. Phil’s first guest, Dawn, says she definitely fits this description. The 42-year-old says she’s been hopping from guy to guy since she was 14, has been married and divorced four times and is now in a three-year relationship and feeling the itch. Dawn’s current boyfriend, Paul, feels like he's being used and says he’s not ready to be her fifth ex-husband! Kurtis, Dawn’s 22-year-old son, says it’s high time his mom settled down. Is Paul really Dawn's true love or should he pack his things and hit the road? Then, Joanne says her cousin, Theresa, is obsessed with her boyfriend, Ken. Joanne and Theresa’s sister, Christine, say Ken is mentally abusive, but no matter what he does, Theresa keeps going back for more. They say Ken threw Theresa, her kids and all their belongings out on the front yard for the entire neighborhood to see, and she still took him back. Joanne and Christine aren’t the only ones who dislike Ken. Theresa’s mom says she can’t stand him either -- to the point where she hasn’t spoken to her daughter in nearly two years! Theresa says she just can’t live without her man, and her relatives will have to deal with their relationship. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s plan for mending this broken family and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 15, 2008, 11:27 am CDT

Give Up

I listened to a little bit of her crap and just think that after that many men in her life and all the failed marriages the only common denominator is her. Call it a disease or a disorder or just a problem but quit ruining peoples lives and quit trying to make people think you are the victim. It is only you that causes these issues in your own life. JUST GIVE UP and no more people will get hurt. It is not the end of the world to be single. I have been single for 3 years after a 9 year marriage and I was cheated on several times by my wife. I have never been more happy and now realize that happiness is an emotion that can only come from you. No one can ever "make" you happy. Men are being hurt all over this world because of women like her and to them it is just a problem that they need to work on..blah, blah, blah. If you want men to act like men then stop acting like a highschool girl at a party with a list hidden in her jewelry box of how many guys you bagged, and start acting like a woman whom should be the foundation of love and stability that the family structure is missing so badly in modern times. If you want to know where society has went wrong it is with women like this. Disorder...Please, just give up your childhood and you will be fine.

March 15, 2008, 1:25 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Junkies Love Phil. What! Are you kidding me? You are not eatting food junk. I Hope not. And espe--

ially not a Junk Food Junkies at all. See you on Tuesday March 18th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaan--

deren.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 16, 2008, 9:09 am CDT

I HATE YOU - DON'T LEAVE ME - BOOMARANG LOVE

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a psychological disorder characterized by pervasive instability in self-image, behavior, moods, and interpersonal relationships.  This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. 

While less known than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness), BPD is more common, affecting 2% of adults (1-33), mostly females.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are:

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Get Me Out of Here:  My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland OR Girl Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen OR Stop Walking on Eggshells:  Taking Your Life Back...by Paul Mason and Randi Kreger

Understanding the Borderline (Parent) Mother:  Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson OR Surviving a Borderline Parent:  How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds & Build Trust, Boundaries and Self-Esteem by Kimberlee Roth and Freda Friedman OR The Angry Heart:  Overcoming Borderline and Addictive Disorders by Joseph Santoro and Ronald Cohen

High Conflict People in Legal Disputes by Bill Eddy OR Divorce Poison:  Protecting the Parent-Child Bond from a Vindictive (Relative) Ex by Richard Warshak

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

Though harder to spot, emotional abuse is easier to deny.  But just as physical abuse has signposts to mark its presence, emotional abuse, being a systematic attack on one's sense of self, has common traits.  Physical abuse comes in degrees of severity - emotional abuse also runs the gamut of intensity and damage.

There are relationships, marriages and families that are so destructive the only option is for a person to get out.  Get out with the little bit of sanity you may have remaining.  Make a promise to yourself to leave.  Leave so you can begin a life of healing and recovery.  Leave so you can learn to live a joyful, peaceful, trusting, supportive, and fulfilling life.

Hope it helps!

March 16, 2008, 3:27 pm CDT

03/18 Love Junkies

something has been missing in this woman's life since she was 14 and self esteem and self worth and morals may be the things missing Being self centered  never works. Looking outside one's self as other people see you  may give a good decription of how you really are. She is looking for something that is not there and may be something she can create or change within herself

March 16, 2008, 4:07 pm CDT

03/18 Love Junkies

Quote From: anon_slc

Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a psychological disorder characterized by pervasive instability in self-image, behavior, moods, and interpersonal relationships.  This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. 

While less known than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness), BPD is more common, affecting 2% of adults (1-33), mostly females.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are:

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Get Me Out of Here:  My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder by Rachel Reiland OR Girl Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen OR Stop Walking on Eggshells:  Taking Your Life Back...by Paul Mason and Randi Kreger

Understanding the Borderline (Parent) Mother:  Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson OR Surviving a Borderline Parent:  How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds & Build Trust, Boundaries and Self-Esteem by Kimberlee Roth and Freda Friedman OR The Angry Heart:  Overcoming Borderline and Addictive Disorders by Joseph Santoro and Ronald Cohen

High Conflict People in Legal Disputes by Bill Eddy OR Divorce Poison:  Protecting the Parent-Child Bond from a Vindictive (Relative) Ex by Richard Warshak

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

Though harder to spot, emotional abuse is easier to deny.  But just as physical abuse has signposts to mark its presence, emotional abuse, being a systematic attack on one's sense of self, has common traits.  Physical abuse comes in degrees of severity - emotional abuse also runs the gamut of intensity and damage.

There are relationships, marriages and families that are so destructive the only option is for a person to get out.  Get out with the little bit of sanity you may have remaining.  Make a promise to yourself to leave.  Leave so you can begin a life of healing and recovery.  Leave so you can learn to live a joyful, peaceful, trusting, supportive, and fulfilling life.

Hope it helps!

Getting out of a destructive situation is fine but when it is 4 times and counting like the woman on the show it is time for her to quit getting in them.

March 16, 2008, 7:50 pm CDT

"All for the man she loves"

When I grew up, my grandmother would always tell me "men come and go, but your children are your children forever". I didn't understand what she meant at the time, now I do, but my daughter doesn't. (By the way, my mother abandoned me for "her man").  I have been a professional for 18 years, and am ashamed to be in this terrible situation. My daughter receives support from the government, but t he government money supports my daughter  and  "her man". The children are a meal ticket for their "love".
As I sit here typing, I am listening to vintage Billy Holiday, and the recurring themes are "me and my man" "he beats me" "I am on my knees" "whatever my my man is, I am his forever more"  "my man, I love him so"...etc.... clearly, this is not a new sickness.  All for "the man she loves". Is that not sick? An adult who will trade everything in life for the "current"  man that treats her like crap. It is mental illness that apparently is like a sunami, no warning, no where to run, and no hope that the grandchildren will survive until she is dead or incarcerated for life.    I do not understand why my daughter has chosen to remain in habitual abusive relationships, as this was not in her upbringing. When this started, I remained of the "tough love" position ( I was punished by denial of seeing the oldest grandson because I refused to fork over money). I watched her father (my ex) enable her behavior/actions, and now there are 2 grandchildren at stake, neither of which chose her lifestyle options. I have been through the legal route with the first grandchild. The legal system does not protect the children and my financial security was devestated, my career jeopardized, and I walked away from my true love (the drama was too stressful).   Now, with the second grandchild (second man), it looks my daughter still has not changed, except that I am alone to carry the burden. I will not jeopardize anymore of my financial security, (my career).... so I wait and try to protect my grandchildren from this sickness as much as I can. I try to hide my exhaustion and frustration from the children. I am physically tired. I "take care" of my grandchildren 80 % of the time. No money to her, just safe haven for the kids. I am seeing no positive resolution to her behavior and the trauma it brings to my grandchildren.    Yet, I must live for at least 20 more years, so that I can raise my grandchildren and continue to pick up the pieces, as I anticipated that my daughter will be dead before I die....  killed by an abusive boyfriend and/or will be incarcerated. I  must candidly admit that I would be relieved if she were dead, as then my grandchildren would be free from this sickness that she brings to our life. Is that not sick also?
So, as I send this letter out to the cosmos..I expect nothing to change. But, if by some chance there is a way to stop this sickness...please share it with me. I saw the list of "self help" books for this situation but can only read one...so which one??

March 17, 2008, 6:29 am CDT

mentally abusive?

Why are men mentally/emotionally abusive? Reading this site-I thought I knew 2 of them--only to find it's a huge problem in todays society.

Is it a bully thing?

Is it a to be a guy thing? 

Is it a guilt trip thing?   

How do we change todays boys into tomorrows men?

March 17, 2008, 9:02 am CDT

03/18 Love Junkies

Quote From: cuzican927

Why are men mentally/emotionally abusive? Reading this site-I thought I knew 2 of them--only to find it's a huge problem in todays society.

Is it a bully thing?

I think a lot of men are abusive because they grew up in an abusive environment. Not to excuse then, but they learned what they lived.

March 18, 2008, 6:07 am CDT

Good Show

The term "love junkies" made me want to turn away but I realized that Dawn's story is just like my childhood best friend, who was made fun of and ostracized in school and now has serial relationships. My friend's first relationships made her feel valued, but they dumped her after a few months when they got bored (14 year old boys). My friend's self-esteem was so low that she thought those kids were right, she was a loser and this was the best treatment she was ever going to get from someone. So, she dated guys for a few months and dumped them before they dumped her.

ANYWAY, making a long story even longer this was a good show and I hope Dawn finds the love she deserves. Walk away from that terrible past, Dawn!

March 18, 2008, 7:03 am CDT

Love Junkie....03/18

Quote From: cuzican927

Is it a bully thing?

I have been watching todays show and the blonde gal that has been married 4 times and still can't make up her mind needs to let the nice gentleman go.  She is only playing him and he seems way to nice for her games.  I am a hard working single female that would love to have the honesty and sincerity that he seems to have.  There are not many men left out there that would like to have the one on one committment that he is looking for and she should be very grateful to have him.  She has no love or respect for him and he should move on before he gets his heart broke.  She is not looking for the same thing as him and she WILL break his heart.  He is way to good for her, or so he seems on TV anyhow.  She needs to wake up and smell the roses.  There are many of us women out there that would love to find a true gentleman .... why is it that the women that like to play games end up with the good ones???  I just don't get it.  If she wants a game player I can hook her up with several!!!  She needs to leave the decent guys alone!!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last