Message Boards

Topic : 08/14 Hitting Rock Bottom

Number of Replies: 156
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 28, 2008, 02:28:54 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/02/08) Is your life in the ditch, and you can’t see a way out of the quagmire? Dr. Phil's guests say they've lost money and careers, and now they fear losing their family. Lisa says she feels betrayed because her estranged husband, Anthony, is leading a double life. She says Anthony had a great career as an accountant, but was secretly gambling their money away. Now he’s jobless, homeless and living in their minivan, which is about to be repossessed. Anthony invited the Dr. Phil cameras along to capture his life on the streets, and you won’t believe where he winds up at the end of the day! Anthony says he knows his gambling addiction is out of control and says he wants to be back home with his wife and four kids. Can he cash in his chips for good, or will his addiction cost him his family? Then, Shauna says her life is unbearable. She and her husband, Kevin, have filed for bankruptcy, the IRS is knocking at their door, and they’re taking care of a terminally ill son. Shauna says Kevin’s heavy drinking only adds to the chaos, but Kevin doesn’t think he has a problem. Is Shauna overreacting, or is Kevin an alcoholic in denial? Can this marriage be saved? Tell us what you think.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 30, 2008, 8:47 am CDT

wrong quote

Quote From: gingers4u

In today's world we are all getting hit some way or another.    This world is revolving around the "Almighty Dollar"!.     But we all have to remember that money is the root of all evil.

The thing is with money people are getting to greedy.   "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven."      

I have yet to see a U-haul on the back of a herse!

I am also at rock bottom but with the power of prayer I am getting by.  For the last 6 months I have been getting my mortgage paid by the grace of God.   So if you pray it will work.  

"Ask and you shall receive."   "The Lord will provide."

I am single and I am epileptic and having a terrible problem with my memory therefore trying to get a job is very difficult because this so called "Equal opportunity employers" is a bunch of bull!!

I have not had a stable job (that lasted a year) since June of 2006.   I have just been rejected by 3 temporary to hire positions because they are not willing to give me that little bit more time to learn it. 

The only thing I fear is losing my home that I was able to buy when I had my job with AT&T from 1995 to 2003 at which time they relocated from our state to another, which they always do. 

Everybody always misquotes The Bible on this one, it actually says, "The love of money is the root of all evil."  the way things are set up in this world we need money to live.  Why do you think all preachers include offerings in their services?  And about ,"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven."  Here is the entire passage of scripture                                 Mark 10:25-27
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

26 The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

27 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."
NIV
Money in the hands of the right poeple can do alot of good and if more Christians would pray for more money and the wisdom to use it right it could be good.

March 30, 2008, 9:14 am CDT

I read that statistic too.....

Quote From: marianparoo

I remember when I was in HS back in Yonkers, there was an article that I read in a girl's teen publication about teen drinking.

It gave a statistic, as a given, that 90% of husbands will leave an alcoholic wife, but only 10% of women will leave an alcoholic husband.

This was given as a reason for girls not to drink to excess.

Nowhere was the intrinsic fairness of the situation even questioned!

and I recently quoted it on another Dr. Phil message board. I believe that, in general, women will stay with an addicted spouse much longer than a man would.  IMO, this is because women in general are nurturers, which in and of itself is a good thing. Unless that good quality is subverted by applying it to the "care and feeding" of an addict. Then it becomes a weakness, not a strength. And regarding "intrinsic fairness", well, women are women and men are men. We are NOT the same, and aren't supposed to be. There are dynamics that differentiate us.

March 31, 2008, 6:28 am CDT

IF MEN ONLY KNOWS

IT SO SAD THAT MEN HAVE TO REACH ROCK BOTTOM TO SEE ALL THE PAIN THEY CAUSE TO THE FAMILY!!!!!! WOMEN USUAL GET THE END OF THE STICK!!!!!!!!!! WE HURT AS A WOMAN... WHEN THEY LIE, THEY CHEAT, AND AT THE END FOR THEM ITS OUR FAULT........WE HURT WHEN OUR KIDS HURT.... ONLY GOD CAN HELP............. AND I NEED MY HUSBAND TO REACH ROCK BOT TON..... OR I THINK I WILL......

March 31, 2008, 6:52 am CDT

Hitting rock bottom

I grew up with an alcoholic, married not 1 but 2. My former husband never went out to bars never came home late never made me wonder if he had been in an accident or jailed. He drank only at home, alcoholism is called a progressive disease. I now teach a Celebrate recovery class, but my story starts and ends with the death of my husband most would think OK he died of cirrhosis of the liver....

I can tell you 1, his alcoholism ruined our marriage, took the family we had once and tore it apart, we have 4 children and it tore those children's life apart in a way they will never forget.

2, He did have cirrhosis of the liver but that is not what killed him he had been in the hospital for malnutrition,dehydration,liver failure, but again this is not what killed him. He was released from the hospital and was to weak to move around on his own, his family was 2 days away from making room in a nursing home for him when I got the call. I will NEVER forget the phone call. " Monica there has been a fire at Chris's apartment and he did not make it out" yes you heard me right he died in a house fire, and to top it off his mother pulled him from the fire.

I have seen so many family's destroyed by alcoholism and the denial that comes with it... I say to the wife and mother of this family hang in there stand your ground and trust in the Lord.

March 31, 2008, 8:18 am CDT

04/02 Hitting Rock Bottom

Quote From: thedesertdawg

Everybody always misquotes The Bible on this one, it actually says, "The love of money is the root of all evil."  the way things are set up in this world we need money to live.  Why do you think all preachers include offerings in their services?  And about ,"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven."  Here is the entire passage of scripture                                 Mark 10:25-27
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

26 The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

27 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."
NIV
Money in the hands of the right poeple can do alot of good and if more Christians would pray for more money and the wisdom to use it right it could be good.

I think you meant to say that we should pray for the wisdom to use the money that we do have in the best possible way.  (Praying for more money for its own sake is the root of all evil)

March 31, 2008, 9:07 am CDT

INCEST 2X MORE LIKELY IN FAMILIES OF ALCOHOLICS

According to the best estimates, about one in eight Americans - more than 30 million - are products of alcoholic homes.  The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism says that 6.6 million children are living with an alcoholic parent now.  No statistic can measure the amount of emotional pain that children of alcoholics grow up with and carry into adulthood. 

Blue Ribbon Against Child Abuse

My name is Sarah
I am but three,
My eyes are swollen
I cannot see,

I must be stupid,
I must be bad,
What else could have made
My daddy so mad?

I wish I were better,
I wish I weren't ugly,
Then maybe my Mommy
Would still want to hug me.

I can't speak at all,
I can't do a wrong
Or else I'm locked up
All the day long.

When I awake I'm all alone
The house is dark
My folks aren't home.

When my Mommy does come
I'll try and be nice,
So maybe I'll get just
One whipping tonight.

Don't make a sound!
I just heard a car
My daddy is back
From Charlie's Bar.

I hear him curse
My name he calls
I press myself
Against the wall.

I try and hide
From his evil eyes
I'm so afraid now
I'm starting to cry.

He finds me weeping
He shouts ugly words,
He says its my fault
That he suffers at work.

He slaps me and hits me
And yells at me more,
I finally get free
And I run for the door.

He's already locked it
And I start to bawl,
He takes me and throws me
Against the hard wall.

I fall to the floor
With my bones nearly broken,
And my daddy continues
With more bad words spoken.

"I'm sorry!" I scream
But it's now much too late
His face has been twisted
Into unimaginable hate.

The hurt and the pain
Again and again
Oh please God, have mercy!
Oh please let it end!

And he finally stops
And heads for the door,
While I lay there motionless
Sprawled on the floor.

My name is Sarah
And I am but three,
Tonight my daddy
Murdered me. 

If you are unhappy or uncomfortable with something in your life it is up to you to change your situation and tell someone that you can trust.  Tell a teacher, close friend or a favorite aunt or uncle, talk with them and don't hold back.  Tell them about your sadness, fears, frustration and anger.

Hope it helps!

April 1, 2008, 10:00 am CDT

Booze is evil as well as all addictions

I have seen people in my own family drink themselves stupid. They have lost spouses and been forced to move back in with their parents and such. One family member died from liver cancer from drinking. Booze a'int worth it get help asap before it's too late. Gambling oh lord that is another bad one. I knew someone that had money but gambled it all away as a result she now lives with her daughter.

April 1, 2008, 10:43 am CDT

Quote From: derevna33

I think you meant to say that we should pray for the wisdom to use the money that we do have in the best possible way.  (Praying for more money for its own sake is the root of all evil)

No, I think it was meant exactly as it was worded, to pray for more money and the wisdom to use it well. Nothing was said about praying for money for its own sake. Don't be so knee-jerk judgemental.

April 1, 2008, 10:51 am CDT

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

As a mother of a terminally ill, mentally/physically disabled child I have to say that I think everyone should stop insisting that Shauna just walk away from her husband-as if it would be that simple. Unless you have been where she is, you have no idea how scary the world looks when you picture yourself alone in it with a very ill child. She cannot work full time without a lot of support and disability does not even begin to pay a fraction of what it takes to raise a special child. Regardless of his drinking problem, she has a special bond with Kevin that is ONLY formed between the two parents of a special child, and it would be difficult for anyone to understand that unless they have walked in their shoes. They formed their son out of love, have cared for him and each other throughout his difficult life, and sometimes the strain of that pushes people do turn to things they should not. I will pray for this family to find the help they need-for Kevin, Shauna and their baby boy-hopefully together.

April 1, 2008, 11:49 am CDT

Quote From: specialbabymom

As a mother of a terminally ill, mentally/physically disabled child I have to say that I think everyone should stop insisting that Shauna just walk away from her husband-as if it would be that simple. Unless you have been where she is, you have no idea how scary the world looks when you picture yourself alone in it with a very ill child. She cannot work full time without a lot of support and disability does not even begin to pay a fraction of what it takes to raise a special child. Regardless of his drinking problem, she has a special bond with Kevin that is ONLY formed between the two parents of a special child, and it would be difficult for anyone to understand that unless they have walked in their shoes. They formed their son out of love, have cared for him and each other throughout his difficult life, and sometimes the strain of that pushes people do turn to things they should not. I will pray for this family to find the help they need-for Kevin, Shauna and their baby boy-hopefully together.
But, does your situation put you in a position to dictate that Shauna should stay with Kevin? How do your, and her, husbands compare?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last