Message Boards

Topic : 07/23 Ask the Doctors

Number of Replies: 202
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 04, 2008, 02:09:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/08/08) Imagine having your doctor on speed dial to answer your questions 24/7. Here's your chance, because The Doctors (link to: /shows/page/TheDoctors)  are back! Dr. Phil welcomes OB/GYN Dr. Lisa Masterson, family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears, plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, and E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork. Join their conversation and hear their valuable insights on the hottest medical topics of the day, including actor Heath Ledger's untimely death and the rise in breast augmentation surgery. Next, meet Jennifer, a wife and mother who's so afraid of her family getting sick and dying from germs, that she won't handle cash or mail, she wears three different pairs of shoes each day -- a pair for in the house, one for out of the house, and one for in the car -- and won't even greet family members from out of town until they've come in and showered! Is Jennifer's house as germ free as she thinks it is? Dr. Phil sends a microbiologist to find out. Then, meet a woman who got married and was ready to start a family only to find out that the man she fell in love with was making her physically ill. And, meet a couple who are at odds over a serious medical dilemma involving their 3-year-old son. Should they amputate his legs? Plus, is there a medical question you're dying to know the answer to but are too embarrassed to ask? Be there when The Doctors answer viewer questions on topics ranging from breastfeeding to penis enlargement, and then talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 8, 2008, 1:50 pm CDT

Yeppers.....

Quote From: peterspumpkin

I'm hoping if I do it, the sensation won't return so I can enjoy them!!!! lol :)

Right, so anything other than thru the nipple won't work as well but it's not a %100 guarantee that the feeling won't ever come back.  It'll probably be numb or desensitized for a while afterwards.  And then they usually last only so long (I think around 10 years), so there's the upkeep, so if youre going in wanting desensitization, there's the getting them "adjusted" part that can be a pain in the butt. 

April 8, 2008, 1:58 pm CDT

04/08 Ask the Doctors

Quote From: thenewyear

Let me say first, I see nothing wrong with any lady having reconstructive surgery whose had  to fight breast cancer in her lifetime. I am so much compassion for these courageous ladies.

But for these females who have breast implants just to wear tops with half their boobs hanging out for the rest to see, I am sick of it. And by the number of implants the doctor said on the show he had done, I can see their will be a lot of more to be flaunted in our faces.

Does anyone know where I can get a shirt to wear that says "NO SILICONE NEEDED IN THESE"!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I support women who are breast cancer survivors that have gotten implants so that they can be back to their normal sizes and feel more confident in themselves.

I also agree that women who do it purely to just be bigger and show them off, who really have no decent reason for them, sicken me. It promotes superficiality. If I was a plastic surgeon, I think I would start a facility that would do work only on people who needed reconstructive surgery after having cancer, being in car accidents that have mangled them, etc. People who need it more. People who have reasons.

And as far as the shirt goes, you could by a plain colored shirt, and buy some transfer paper at wal-mart and make one. I've used it before. You write on or print out what you want on the paper, and then iron it onto the shirt. XD

April 8, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

Amputation?

What a sweet little boy! He is really adorable.  You know, I got the impression that the Mom was stuck on being right. It is possible to be medically 'correct' but at what price? I think what's best for him emotionally should weigh heavy too.IF its not life-threatening to keep his legs, I can't begin to understand why the mom would want to  proceed.There may be reasons that are not obvious to think about amputation. If not,I really hope that the Mom rethinks her opinion. 

April 8, 2008, 2:10 pm CDT

Amputating both his legs

This is not really a question but about the little boy who's parents are not sure what to do about amputating their son's legs. I have one leg shorter and smaller that the other due to something called Pseudoarthrosis due to what is called Neurofibromatosis. My paremts were not willing to have my leg amputated even though they new I would never walk without a brace and I now have a prosthesis type of leg what a person would wear if their leg was amputated except my little leg fits inside. I am a 36 year old female that has had six operations on that leg to see if it would have been any better. One of the operations I could have had was to lengthen my leg and foot and may have been able to have worn a built up shoe but it wouls have been very painful. The first operation could have been to have had my leg amputated at nine months old. I was the first child born to my parents and they were in their early twenties and didn't want to do it. About 10 years ago I wanted to have my leg taken off because I wanted to be able to wear jeans without cutting them up the side and I wanted to be able to wear shoes of any kind and I could have had my foot and part of my leg removed then thought I would have it removed to the knee. I then chose not to do because I was able to walk now and I may have had more trouble and more pain than what I have now. I asked my mom why her and dad didn't do it when I was a baby. As I said above was the reason why they didn't do it. I didn't want to go through the phantom pains and trying to scratch the many itches that wouldn't be there. Without my prosthesis I use crutches and I have had an accident with my "good leg" that did a lot of damage and I am lucky to be walking today but I made sure that I would walk when I was able. I hade two operations on that leg. One was tagging all the nerves because all of them snapped and I was not able to even move it. The secon was a tendon transfer to be able to move my foot in some ways but I didn't have the third operation that would have been pins in my toes to be able to move them up and dowm. I have broke my big toe 3-4 times because I have tripped over it because of not being able to move it at all. Twenty years later I have bad back pain and pain in the "good leg." I have drop foot and the pain in the ankle is bad at most times now.

I truly believe that your son will overcome many things in his life that he will either thank you for keeping his legs or ask you why you didn't have them removed. Technology has come so far and it's possible that your boy could be wearing braces on his legs and may very well walk with a walker or crutches. One thing is almost for certain is that he will have full uper body strength.
Your story really touched my heart and whatever you choose to do it will be for the right reason because as they say everything happens for a reason. Good luck to you all.

April 8, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

04/08 Ask the Doctors

Quote From: marianparoo

As a woman who was born with a serious orthodpedic birth defect, I went through more operations than even my mother remembers (I started with the whole business at 9 months old when I fell shortly after I started walking - the  bone didn't heal and the condition was diagnosed).

My condition is different than Jaya's, and now the treatment is more efficient (although essentially the same, I was just one of the first children to have the op that got me walking in the right direction).

But my gut feeling is that Jaya might well have have a happier childhood if his legs are amputated than if he has to go through years of surgeries. And, from what I noticed from my own childhood is that scars and limps make a bigger target for the cruelty of children than prostheses.

Many, many hugs and hope to this child and the family.

By the way, the first major op I had that got me walking was at Sick Kids in Toronto. I lived in the USA at that time, and they still weren't doing that kind of op anywhere in the United States.

My love to Sick Kids and Toronto, Canada forever!!!!!!!

I was born with neuroblastoma, which left me paralyzed from the waist down. I can't imagine if my parents had opted to amputate both of my legs. Yes, they are useless in the conventional sense, but they are a part of me. I have been parapalegic my whole life, and I agree with Dr. Phil.....kids are very adaptable. If I wanted to do something, I figured out a way, legs in the way or not. If a reason arose medically why Jaya's parents considered removing his legs, then that would be different (ie some sort of infection or something). But I really hope they choose, at least for now, to let Jaya learn how to adapt with what God has given him. I have also been the target of many an insult from insensitive children, but unfortunately Jaya is probably going to have to endure that whether he has a prostheses or not. A disabled child learns great human patience and compassion due to the hardships they go through, and those are great qualities to possess. From the video they showed, it looks to me like Jaya is much like any other child, he gets around and does the things he wants and has learned how to do it with the abilities he has. To kids like him, and myself as a child, that is just how it works. We never learned a different way before that, so to us our limitations are just natural and we learn to do everything in our own way.

April 8, 2008, 2:22 pm CDT

Stuttering

My grandson who turned two years old in September started stuttering about two months ago. My son and daughter-in-law don't seem too concerned about it. Should I be?

April 8, 2008, 2:33 pm CDT

Organic Vs Homemade Baby Food

I am a mother of a seven month old baby girl and we have just started solid foods.  With all the hype on organic foods is there a real health benefit for the child, or should I just buy the regular baby food?  Better yet should I just make the time to cook, process, and freeze my own baby food using organic fruits and vegetables from the grocery store?

April 8, 2008, 2:34 pm CDT

Organic Vs Homemade Baby Food

I am a mother of a seven month old baby girl and we have just started solid foods.  With all the hipe on organic foods is there a real health benefit for the child, or should I just buy the regular baby food?  Better yet should I just make the time to cook, process, and freeze my own baby food using organic fruits and vegetables from the grocery store?

April 8, 2008, 2:51 pm CDT

Whose Decision is It?

I think that the parents of that beautiful child are doing a great job with him.  He gets around, is happy, even has a bike adapted for him!  I was shocked that the mom would discuss amputation with a 3 year old.  He cannot grasp that concept.  He cannot make this decision.  If you want him to decide then you have to wait until he is old enough to do it.   At this age it is the decision of the parents and they need to keep that discussion between themselves while they are arguing about it. 

April 8, 2008, 2:55 pm CDT

Caudal Regression Syndrome

I have an 8 yr. old son who has caudal regression and although he has been blessed to have the ability to walk and run he does however suffer with lack of bladder and limited bowel control.  I am seeking input from other parents that can offer support and insight on possible medical referrals.  Thank you in advance for your replies.  Concerned mom, Betty (blessedmom99@yahoo.com)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last