Message Boards

Topic : 04/14 The Dr. Phil House: House of Greed

Number of Replies: 465
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 11, 2008, 08:16:44 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've heard the sayings, "Money can't buy happiness," and "Money is the root of all evil," and the newest family to move into The Dr. Phil House lives up to both of these adages! They’re engaged in a vicious war of finger-pointing and accusations over money, land and Mom's will. One daughter is slated to inherit everything while the other won’t get one red cent. How did a piece of land two family members purchased together become a royal battle ground? Family therapist Dr. Tara Fields, brings this family face to face for an emotional encounter. But will they participate? When sisters Lisa and Sara face off, who calls whom lazy and worthless, and will the siblings decide to put their grievances aside? Then, Dr. Phil makes a house call. Why is he fed up with this family? And, when Sonja's granddaughter makes a surprise visit with an emotional plea, you won't believe how Sonja responds. Can Dr. Phil get this family to focus on reuniting instead of dividing their land? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 13, 2008, 1:39 pm CDT

GREED

IF Money is the root of all evil. Then why are some the evil people in these world DIRT POOR. If the people who have so much money that they are called GREEDY why don't they share it with the people in the world that have t work 2-3 jobs or more just to survive. Did you know that there is a new class of working people in this world they are called th working POOR. these people are the ones that work for $8.00 or less per hour. And have to goto food pantrys to just have the basics, If these Greedy people would loose everything they have in a matter of minutes how would they survive. I once saw a show many years ago where a person gave up access to their millions for 1 week, lived in a homeless shelter, stood on the corner in freezing cold weather and begged for work and food. At the end of the week this person had a whole change of  how they were before. I have met several hundreds of people in my lifetime would give you the shirt off their back (so to speak) to help you out if you had just lost your job. But now days there not so many of them around. What happened to them?

April 13, 2008, 1:45 pm CDT

04/14 The Dr. Phil House: House of Greed

Quote From: traveler3

Money is not the land of all evil. If it is, why do churches want you to give it to them? Do you want to corrupt the church? Or corrupt all of the help the poor, childrens hospitals.

No,  money can only corrupt people who are already corrupted. Money allows people to climb or descend to the limits of their personalities.  Money seperates the good from the evil and thus is a good thing.

The poor people in America are far richer than 99% of the rest of the world. Thus our poor are part of the spoiled rich??

The whole concept of who is rich and who is not is a silly argument of comparisons. Just be as good a citizen as you can be and don't worry about who has more than you. Do people understand religious teachings or read the whisdoms passed down for thousands of years??? They all say the same things. Rich or poor, good or bad is all in your own mind.

The point was, we have nothing to fight over, or at least worth fighting over, and besides where I give anything in my will is my business, not the kids', but then no matter how much or how little you have, there will always be those who will fight over it, I'm not sure where I made comparissons, I think fighting over money or trinkets is silly, no one is ENTITLED to receive ANYTHING from their parents upon their death, that's just ghoulish if you sit there wringing your hands just waiting for someone to die.

April 13, 2008, 2:03 pm CDT

Are we related???????

Quote From: aprilynn

Hi Abigail, I can relate to your situation.  I also have no relationship with my parents. They are in their mid-80's and I in my mid-50's.  The relationship is irreparable that is the shame of it all.  I am ok with being left out of the will.  I don't want anything after death that they could not give to me in life. That is just how I am.  My bio mom is a toxic woman also and I read the book "Toxic Parents" which helped me tremendously.  I recommend it.

Aprilynn

I know I am an only child but this sounds just like my family. I look forward to the show & hope I find some help for myself.

My mother has used money (& things) my whole life to get her way. She loves to tell everyone what she offers me, knowing I will not accept it.

One day I needed money so I started to accept her offers. She took them all back. (no surprise, huh?)

Then she sued me & cut me out of her will all together.

She now offers it all to my children who are falling right into place. I heard her mention it to a grand daughter too. My children are very happy not seeing me & glad to be with my mother.

I can't believe my family loves money more than me.

When my mother dies & they get her money will they love me then, probably not.

I need help.

April 13, 2008, 2:24 pm CDT

04/14 The Dr. Phil House: House of Greed

Okay, after re reading the blurb, was it Mom and one of the daughter's who bought the land together ?  Is that maybe why the one inherits all the land ?

April 13, 2008, 3:07 pm CDT

Sibling Greed

I know how devestating it can be to lose your your family legacy and "willed" possessions to a sibling who want give up personal and owned possessions of the deceased parent.  In my case, my mother named my baby sister as "Executor" of her will, there were 4 other older children. We all played a very important part of our mothers life. We visited weekly and drove her to do her shopping and for doctor visits. We have weekly family dinners and birthday get togethers every other month. We all really loved one another and were always there for each other to lend a helping hand. When our mother passed, our baby sister, who immediately claimed our mothers (basement) apartment as off limits to the rest of her siblings, she even called the police to have us removed when we visited her one day to work on moms business and belongins. She wanted no help from any of us to move things along concerning the Will.  She would not probate the Willm she would not settle anything our mom had requested in her Will. She took us to court to make us pay back to the estate, the value of 4 cemetary plots our Mom had wanted us to have. The plots were next to and around her resting place. Our younger sister will not communicate with us and has kept everything our mom had wanted divided up and wanted us to have. And, to make it worse, our younger sister knew of our moms verbal wishes as well and the written ones. She has completely distant herself from any association with the rest of the family. We have tried to communicate with her but she refuses to talk about this issue with us. We are so hurt and have had to get use to the fact that our moms legacy and life, with pictures and personal items, will never be in our lives again. It is destroying us mentally and so unfair to our children and grandchildren.

April 14, 2008, 6:31 am CDT

Pathetic excuse for a mother

This woman is pure evil!!!  She is totally about controlling, dividing and ultimately destroying the relationships within her own family.   One day she will probably die an old, bitter woman ALONE!!!

April 14, 2008, 6:39 am CDT

OMG

Can you believe this family? I am shocked at how Sonya talks to and about her older daughter! She should be embarrassed that she is sooo shallow. I am glad she isn't my mother!

April 14, 2008, 6:52 am CDT

Is it worth the pain

Is it worth the pain that you inflict upon one another to fight over money, that really isn't worth the paper it's printed on. You only get one family and to throw away the love of your mom and dad and the love of you kids  is just totally wrong. Life is so short, you shouldn't let greed tear apart what you used to have together. I don't know what you all are thinking, money can only pay the bills, it can't love you, or keep you company, or talk to you when you need some one. I hope that Dr. Phil will help you gain the true perspective on your lives and I hope you will lisson to what he has to say. All I can say is don't throw it all away for something that will be gone before you know it.

Myra

April 14, 2008, 7:51 am CDT

Love the Cat

Quote From: shadycat1

Okay, after re reading the blurb, was it Mom and one of the daughter's who bought the land together ?  Is that maybe why the one inherits all the land ?

HA HA HA... just love your Ikea Cat ... that is too cute.....some assembly required indeed  ha ha ha

HMMMMM I wonder if the cat's  kittens plan to fight for the box she came in LOL

Makes about as much sense as these people fighting over items of little lasting value

April 14, 2008, 8:06 am CDT

house of greed

Quote From: mrsjoebob

This very thing goes on all the time in families - I have heard it over and over and experienced it in my family. 

When I was a young adult my grandmother passed away.  My grandmother did not really have anything just a Good vacum cleaner and some personal items.  Well the battle was on over that vacum between two Aunts-OH MY GOD a used vacum - well my Aunt who was not my Grandm'a care giver got  the thing, because my other Aunt ( who had been the caregiver) decided it was not worth her self esteem.  And then again when my Mom died, a sister who had never done anything but take money from our parents decided she had squaters rights in Mom's house with the intention of staying in it.  My younger sister and brother in law, who were Mom's caregivers for years,had to call the police to remove her.  Mom had signed over the house to my sister and brother in law years before, knowing that they would be her caregivers.  I felt that they deseved the house - they had to do so much for Mom that they deserved it and more.

The type of feelings that these attitudes over property cause, never seem to go away and the families never seem to mend.  And what for - all we can really expect out of life is three hots and a cot - anything more is gravy. 

My husband and I are setting up a living trust so that our property is divided as we want it to be long before our end.  Our daughters tend to battle among themselves from time to time and we are going to do everything in our power to avoid issues with our estate.

Dr phil,Iwant to say I am very sad to see this family actting like this,family's aren't supose to act like that love watching your show.This family need God in their life,I pray that God will enter vene in this situation.It is very sad that they are being like that life is to short  to be like that.they will be in my prayers.thank you Rebecca Coats

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last