Message Boards

Topic : 04/15 "Desperate for My Daughter"

Number of Replies: 71
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 11, 2008, 08:19:27 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Raising children is no easy task, and even your best efforts can backfire. Adrienne knows about this pain firsthand. She says her 17-year-old daughter, Angela, was an honor student with dreams of becoming a doctor, but she ran away and is now a prostitute. Angela has only attended school for four or five months since 2005, is now pregnant and says it’s better on the streets than at home. Bishop T.D. Jakes, author of Reposition Yourself, has a one-on-one chat with the troubled teen. Find out what Angela experienced on the run, and why she is so reluctant to reconcile with her mom. Then, Adrienne hasn’t seen her daughter in five months, and they face off on Dr. Phil's stage. Tempers flare, and Angela threatens to leave the show. Is their relationship ruined forever, or will the teen make peace with her mom? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 15, 2008, 1:49 pm CDT

Oh my!

Watching this mother and daughter is really heartbreaking. I have no doubt that this Mom absolutely loves her daughter and is in a lot of pain.If we all came with instructions at birth we'd save a lot of pain. Its just one crisis after another to the next generation.I can see the same pattern in my own family.Angela is in a situation that will force her to grow up, like it or not. The way she is acting now is typical of a 17yr old, but it doesn't fit with being a mother soon.Nobody can really fault her for the stubborn, unrealistic stance she has with her mom.She wants to do what she wants to do and doesn't want to have to 'listen' to her mom.She does not want to be accountable to anyone for her actions.Just like a typical teenager. It won't fit (I say again)  to be mature enough to raise her baby. I'm sure her baby will survive regardless. But time will tell if the baby will become just another statistic or have a real chance at surviving and thriving.

April 15, 2008, 1:52 pm CDT

You can as long as you dont as much

I'm 18 i will be 19 next month. I will be having a baby come June 8th. I smoke and my doctor even knows that and all my doctor has done is asked me to calm down. He didn't not tell me i have to quit cold turkey but he asked me not to do it as much and i know by being pregnant its hard to stop like that.Because i have smoked since i was 13 and yes i tried when i found out i was pregnant but its not that easy. so you cant tell her she has to stop cause shes pregnant she just needs to know she cant do it as much as she did before.and as long as she does that she will be ok

April 15, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

mother

every word out of the mothers mouth talked about poor her always about what the daughter has done to her  !!!! dddaaa says alot

April 15, 2008, 2:00 pm CDT

I think the mother just wanted to talk about her own pain

Quote From: melo1978

I'm a 30 year old mother of 3 girls. I asked to be placed in foster care when I was 11 years old and got out at 17. During these years I had run away 15 times for periods of 24 hours to 2 1/2 months ( I always came back when scholl started, go figure! ). I have done lots of things during those times that I'm not proud of and wish my kids don't do the same. I think that I have an idea of the resons that she does not want to come home and hope that her mother will change some of her points of view. Then again, the girl must give a bit to. Can't wait to see how things pan out.
hi  al the mother said was how it has hurt her .   thinking about herself. wanting her daughter to think and do what her mom wants . she said you took away my right to be a mom.  well there is good reason  to .

April 15, 2008, 2:10 pm CDT

Bishop T D Jakes

Perhaps the opportunity is quietly presenting itself to have a daily tv program or the 'thought of the day' on tv or radio which can present a Blacks' view of religion in a loving and peaceful manner; providing understanding and guidance in leading a positive and rewarding, realistic life.

The program could go a long way to dispell the perception or belief that not all individuals of faith sound harsh, with less than loving sermons, not instilling love, respect and hope in living ones own life with confidence.

Or, there could be a monthly format with Dr Phil and Bishop T D Jakes co-hosting such a  program. The opportunity and reward in presenting such a program would be bigger than the two hosts.  Perhaps it could be considered a daring program of sorts .   .    .   but it could be rewarding.  In fact,  it would likely be as sensitive, educational and rewarding as today's program 'Desperate For My Daughter'.

Take care.

April 15, 2008, 2:23 pm CDT

"desperate for my daughter"

Quote From: deloreshiles

Hoping Angela you and the baby are doing well. Being a mom is tough,  and growing into a mom  is tough.

You have survived a tough road so far, anger and bitterness will only destroy you.  The road you have chosen; and it is your choice, is a downward spiral. 

Yes, mothers and daughters often clash for many reasons, you will understand even tho the differences, it is a bond that will forever be connected.

You are precious and valuable, don't allow anger and resentment destroy the beautiful person you are.

You have much to value and live for. The street life gives the illusion of freedom, it is captivity at it's worse.

You make the decision to choose your life, in spite of hurts or pain endured by others. You can do it.

Being an adult is hard work, make your life worth all the  effort to being the best you, you can be.  

I BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE BAUTIFUL WORDS THAT CAN HELP HEAL, BUT SOMETIMES THE MEANING ELUDES THOSE WITH A SELF-SERVING MOTIVE FOR EVERYTHING THEY DO,,,LIKE BRINGING A CHILD INTO SUCH A DEGUSTING LIFE STYLE.I CRY FOR THAT UNBORN CHILD ,THAT DESERVES SO MUCH MORE...THIS IS WHERE I NEED TO BLAME OUR SCHOOLS,GOV.AN ANYONE THAT DOES NOT EDUCATE THEMSELVES ON HOW TO BE A BETTER PARENT,ITS CLEAR SOMEONE  DROPPED THE BALL AN LET THIS CHILD GO OUT AN RUIN HER LIFE ,NOW ALONG WITH HER CHILD,AN IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN AN AGAIN,,,,,THANK GOD FOR DR.PHIL@ROBIN TRULY A GOD S GIFTFOR OUR TROUBLED WORLD

April 15, 2008, 2:37 pm CDT

bishop jakes

just want to say that i thought bishop jakes was really great. gave meaningful advice and seemed to understand each person's deepest feelings. since the mom is so steeped in her religion, i think it was especially wise of dr. phil to involve a man of the cloth. but the bishop would have been an asset to the show, anyhow. bothhe and dr. phil seemed particularly insightful regarding this situation.

April 15, 2008, 2:45 pm CDT

"desperate daughter"

Quote From: babymama121106

I'm 18 i will be 19 next month. I will be having a baby come June 8th. I smoke and my doctor even knows that and all my doctor has done is asked me to calm down. He didn't not tell me i have to quit cold turkey but he asked me not to do it as much and i know by being pregnant its hard to stop like that.Because i have smoked since i was 13 and yes i tried when i found out i was pregnant but its not that easy. so you cant tell her she has to stop cause shes pregnant she just needs to know she cant do it as much as she did before.and as long as she does that she will be ok
      ALRIGHT PEOPLE GROW UP,THATS WHAT U WANT SO BAD,FOR GODS SAKE JUST STOP ,STOP,STOP, YOURSELF FROM BEING SO SELFISH,GET REAL THIS IS YOUR LIFE TO DESTORY ,NOW YOU ARE TAKING YOUR CHILD DOWN THE DRAIN TOO!!!SHAME ON Y-O-U,WHEN YOUR CHILD GROWS UP JUST LIKE U,DONT BLAME YOUR MOTHER ,BLAME YOURSELF,BECAUCE YOU BLAME YOUR MOTHER,AN THE WHEEL JUST GOES IN THE SAME OLD RUT,AROUND AN AROUND...ONLY U CAN CHANGE THIS,AN IT STARTS WITH DOING WHAT IS RIGHT,,,,IF U DONT KNOW THE ANWSER ....BY NOW .... GOD HELP YOU...DARE TO DREAM TO BE .....SOMEONE YOUR CHILD CAN BE PROUD OF....EVEN IF THAT MEANS GIVING YOUR BABYUP FOR ADOPTION,YOUR BABY DESERVES A BETTER LIFE ,U WANT A BETTER LIFE DONT U??????????????

April 15, 2008, 2:49 pm CDT

Im lookin in the mirror!

I am 25 yrs old and have been through most of the same issues as this mother and daughter. As a teen, I did not become promiscuous nor do drugs YET I did loose trust in my mother and we even got into a physical altercation where I pulled a knife on her. I am not proud of that YET I can TOTALLY relate to what they are going through and it’s very difficult to get the entire story on national television with such short time!

There is PAIN from the mother that stems from her abuse. My mom was raped at a young age and I am the result of that violent act. I am a lifetime reminder of the day she “lost her life” and that’s painful for her. Being AA, I have found that proper counseling in NOT popular in the black community- we tend to turn to RELIGIOUS rituals and NOT communicate!

The daughter is in a place where she honestly believes she is an adult and can make the right choices … YET she’s continuing to smoke while she’s pregnant. NOT to mention her relationship is statutory rape AND he’s only 21... They are both children!

A LOT of the deep issues stem from RELIGIOUS and TRADITIONAL ideas that don’t work! I pray for them both and I wish I could sit down and talk to both of them and let them know there is LIFE!

April 15, 2008, 2:54 pm CDT

04/15 "Desperate for My Daughter"

Quote From: babymama121106

OH MY GOD, You are a mother now, Stop acting like a child, A mother protects her children, get a book  or look it up on line, what smoking is doing to your child,

or just read the side of your cigarette package, if it puts you at rick what does it do to your unborn child.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last