Message Boards

Topic : 04/18 Exhibitionists

Number of Replies: 87
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 11, 2008, 08:23:11 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
How far would you go to get attention? Mark holds the unofficial streaking record of 444 streaks. He has snuck onto the field during the Super Bowl, the courts at Wimbledon and the ice at the 2006 Winter Olympics ... all in his birthday suit! He's speaks with Dr. Phil via satellite, because he's not allowed in the United States due to the charges against him. Next, Laura's daughters say they're mortified when they're in public with their mom because she dances, sings and speaks loudly. She says they need to lighten up and have more fun! Is Laura really having a good time or is something deeper driving this behavior? Then, meet a woman who thought she had the perfect marriage, until her husband posted nude pictures of her on a Web site where men "share" their wives. She says she's humiliated and doesn't know if she can ever trust her him again. What does Dr. Phil say she must do? And, hear from Bob, a reformed exhibitionist and voyeur, who wants to teach you what to watch for so you don't become a victim. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 13, 2008, 6:06 am CDT

04/18 Exhibitionists

Streaking, dosen't surprise me that it gains attention, sheesh, just look at all the Hoopla raised over Janet Jackson and "Nipplegate ", I think it would liven up a Tennis match, okay I admit not a sports fan, but it does liven things up.
As for Mom, hell she could act like the most demure, quiet little mouse, and her kids would STILL find reason to be mortified.  I have told all three, "I accept you as you are, I expect the same ", my youngest just decided to dye his hair, and then get a mowhawk, yup makes me proud to call him "Son " in public ( making a joke here, I figure if that's the worst thing he does, I'm the luckiest Mom in the world ).
As for that idiot husband, where does the Doc find these types anyway ? if this was done WITHOUT her consent, then he is a sexual abuser, that simple, this is a violation of his wife's trust and body, and should NOT be tolerated, this isn't some silly little joke, this is ABUSE.

April 13, 2008, 8:14 am CDT

Voice immodulation....

Quote From: shadycat1

Streaking, dosen't surprise me that it gains attention, sheesh, just look at all the Hoopla raised over Janet Jackson and "Nipplegate ", I think it would liven up a Tennis match, okay I admit not a sports fan, but it does liven things up.
As for Mom, hell she could act like the most demure, quiet little mouse, and her kids would STILL find reason to be mortified.  I have told all three, "I accept you as you are, I expect the same ", my youngest just decided to dye his hair, and then get a mowhawk, yup makes me proud to call him "Son " in public ( making a joke here, I figure if that's the worst thing he does, I'm the luckiest Mom in the world ).
As for that idiot husband, where does the Doc find these types anyway ? if this was done WITHOUT her consent, then he is a sexual abuser, that simple, this is a violation of his wife's trust and body, and should NOT be tolerated, this isn't some silly little joke, this is ABUSE.

I think it depends on whether the mom acts goofy or whether her voice actually carries.  My MIL's voice carries, but it has kind of an abrasive pitch to it.  She almost half yells (I guess that's her way of speaking up) and I wonder if she has a hearing problem.   Very rarely does she speak softly and usually to herself, she's just like that.  It might embarrass me a bit (especially if its something that needs particular discretion), I wouldn't want her to "announce" something that doesn't need to be announced because of inability to modulate how loudly she speaks.  (Kind of like the SNL skit where Will Ferrell can't modulate the volume of his voice).

Then there's social sensitivity.  There's the mom that may speak in a normal tone, but doesn't know how/when to "turn off".  I guess it's like having a mom who acts drunk all the time regardless of where she is (and if she drank anything).  I can see how that could be embarrassing but if the mom from the show stopped, the kids could probably find something else to be embarrassed about.  When it keeps the kids from making friends and having normal social interactions,  ("My mom acts out, so I can't invite my friends over") it could be problematic.

April 13, 2008, 1:00 pm CDT

04/18 Exhibitionists

Quote From: gwarrior6

I think it depends on whether the mom acts goofy or whether her voice actually carries.  My MIL's voice carries, but it has kind of an abrasive pitch to it.  She almost half yells (I guess that's her way of speaking up) and I wonder if she has a hearing problem.   Very rarely does she speak softly and usually to herself, she's just like that.  It might embarrass me a bit (especially if its something that needs particular discretion), I wouldn't want her to "announce" something that doesn't need to be announced because of inability to modulate how loudly she speaks.  (Kind of like the SNL skit where Will Ferrell can't modulate the volume of his voice).

Then there's social sensitivity.  There's the mom that may speak in a normal tone, but doesn't know how/when to "turn off".  I guess it's like having a mom who acts drunk all the time regardless of where she is (and if she drank anything).  I can see how that could be embarrassing but if the mom from the show stopped, the kids could probably find something else to be embarrassed about.  When it keeps the kids from making friends and having normal social interactions,  ("My mom acts out, so I can't invite my friends over") it could be problematic.

I didn't think of it that way, and true it is problematic if it affects their lives adversly.
I can be loud (due to being deaf in one ear, so some of the things I hear can be embarassing or funny depending on the situation )

April 13, 2008, 2:01 pm CDT

04/18 Exhibitionists

Quote From: gwarrior6

I have a naturally loud voice. When I am just talking it naturally projects across the room...or rooms! It's hard for me. I can't help it. I was born that way. As much as I wish to blend in sometimes I just can't because my voice is so vibrant. As I've been told, my voice cuts through a room like a hot knife through butter...LOL

April 13, 2008, 7:27 pm CDT

Voice...

Quote From: shadycat1

I didn't think of it that way, and true it is problematic if it affects their lives adversly.
I can be loud (due to being deaf in one ear, so some of the things I hear can be embarassing or funny depending on the situation )

My MIL even spoke about me in her dining room (she didn't think I could hear), but I heard everything.  But what do you do?  I don't want to embarrass her, she's usually nice enough (as MIL's go). I just smiled and didn't say anything, and my hubby was off in space watching TV, and really, it's not worth starting anything over with his mom.  She is who she is, loud and proud.  :)

April 13, 2008, 7:48 pm CDT

Voices2

Quote From: PennyLane78

I have a naturally loud voice. When I am just talking it naturally projects across the room...or rooms! It's hard for me. I can't help it. I was born that way. As much as I wish to blend in sometimes I just can't because my voice is so vibrant. As I've been told, my voice cuts through a room like a hot knife through butter...LOL

My dad has a deep voice, always has- but that can be a positive thing because he's a lawyer, and needs to speak up, plus he can be aggressive in that venue, so it's an asset for him.  He's been told it's a "sexy" voice, even.

He wouldn't change for the second coming of Jesus, either.  He picked me up from my prom (at this very nice hotel ballroom mind you) in a holey T-shirt, wrinkled khakis and baseball cap and he said the receptionist looked him up and down and asked him to leave.  We were on vacation and our tour guide was talking about opening up a bait shop, and dad asked if he was going to call it "Hookers".  It could be much worse.

Nothing he does surprises (or even embarrasses)me anymore, but it doesn't mean I'm not proud to be his kid.  He never did anything to interfere with social interactions, though, and I'm proud that he's an individual....anyway, it's not all bad.

April 15, 2008, 11:20 am CDT

04/18 Exhibitionists

Quote From: PennyLane78

Streaking has never bothered me for some reason...I find it hilarious and to be good fun.

Flashing is another story.

This seems inconsistent...the only reason I can think of for why I feel one is ok and not the other is intention...I dunno.
You don't seem inconsistent to me. I consider streaking to be a not-always-sexual bid for attention.
Whereas flashing, because it's focused on a man's penis, is sexual.
I've got two somewhat "amusing" stories about flashing incidents I didn't witness.
My nephew told me about a man flashing his teacher during a firld trip. She screamed. And, he threw his ice-cream-on-a-stick at the man, hitting him right in the face. And, when the police were getting a physical description of the man, my nephew told them he had ice cream on his face!
And, at Wal-Mart, shortly before I started working there, a man flashed a girl working in the fabric department. It scared her so badly, she screamed. And, he screams scared him so badly, he ran out of the store, got in his truck, and hit a light post so hard, it knocked the drive-shaft loose from the transmission!

April 18, 2008, 8:00 am CDT

04/18 Exhibitionists

I hope this is read,

The show(April 18,2008)

The lady that performs everywhere and her two daughters get embarrassed.

I would just like to say, thank god for her and her spirit.  There are so many people who are depressed and mean spirited, you don't want to be around them.  I understand her, because I became over weight after having my children and it depressed me deeply.  Everyday getting ready for work I would cry or be so angery. Once I left the house and get to work, I would bury those feelings and  put my game face on.  I would be nicer, kinder and more open hearted to those that was in pain.  I would be judged for that, most times i could shrugg off the negativity, occasionally someone would go to far to push my buttons. I say all of this to say she is wonderful, just maybe need to channel it differently. If someone could suggest to her, maybe setting up her own entertainment business for the elderly or sick, people who may truly appreciate her bubbly and high spirit. She would brighten someones day!!! also she would get the audience, and that may help to satisfy her need to be accepted as a performer.

Gods love,

N. J.

April 18, 2008, 8:31 am CDT

Anger and pain..

Here's what I saw that was so very obvious in Laura: she has a huge amount of anger and pain, both of which motivate her to be loud and obnoxious and exhibitionistic. She always wanted to be an actress, singer, dancer, and is deeply hurt and very angry because her dreams didn't come true. When I saw her break down in tears and trying to hide behind laughter at the same time, it all fell into place. The anger and pain came out then. Her message to the world is: "If you won't allow me to be seen in the way I've dreamed of, I will MAKE you see me in another! I won't be ignored."

She's also very childlike in her speech and mannerisms....like a little hurt kid.

I hope people out there will see her in this way before discounting her as a "nut". She deserves compassion, not ridicule. 

April 18, 2008, 8:41 am CDT

04/18 Exhibitionists

You know, I have as good a sense of humor as anyone, but I don't find streaking to be funny or acceptable.

There's nothing new about streaking....it's been around as long as I can remember....and I have never seen it as funny. No matter how you look at it, it's just some perv  trying to find yet another way to expose himself under the guise of a joke.

I truly do not want to see some guy waving his hairy johnson around like it's something special; I'm just not impressed.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last