Message Boards

Topic : 04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Number of Replies: 467
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:22:21 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Last week police conducted a stunning raid which resulted in hundreds of women and children being removed from a polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas. On this 1,700-acre ranch, formerly led by Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, children were allegedly sexually abused by older men, and girls as young as 14 allegedly had babies. Dr. Phil goes on location in Colorado City, where he first covered this sect three years ago and where some members of the religious group still live. For the next two days, he explores the psychological ramifications of children being taken from the only lifestyle they knew. Then, Eldorado townspeople weigh in on this unfolding drama. Helen, a volunteer, says she was shocked to see such young girls pregnant and married, and she shows the Dr. Phil cameras what life was like for these kids immediately after they were removed from the compound. Plus, Dr. Phil talks to Warren Jeffs’ niece, Naomi, who escaped from this bizarre religious sect at age 13. His cameras stayed with her every step of the way as she tried to get past police check points, desperate to find the sisters she left behind 16 years ago. And, Naomi meets another woman who escaped the FLDS religious group, Carolyn Jessop, who was married to the second-in-command at Warren Jeffs’ organization and had eight children with him while she says she was trapped inside this sect. Find out the devastating news Carolyn shares with Naomi. Will Naomi’s search finally reunite her with the family she left behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 19, 2008, 9:52 pm CDT

04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

Quote From: housewife52

I guess I am hoping that she is 'hidden' somewhere by someone. The problem with that is by whom, and they really need her to help make the case. I agree, there is a chance she is dead. I hate to think it, but if she's still alive, where in the world is she? Some say there never was a call from a 16 year old asking for help, I believe there was. I saw on the news this morning, they are not releasing the children. I wonder how this is being explained to them? I guess we'll find out a little more about this aspect , on the show on Tuesday. I believe in the long run, the children would be better off not going back ever. But, how sad is that? Unless their mothers are willing to leave also and try to change the way they are living thier lives, what chance do these kids really have for a normal life?I know normal is subject to interpretation and I'm guessing most of those people feel that the way they are living is acceptable and right.But let's face it, that place is so far from anything reasonable and normal, it's pathetic.
All  I know is tht DHS of Iowa  is unrightfully takng my grandson away from my daughter and me and  we need someones help, even if it's Dr. Phill. Please help. Marilu M*****

April 19, 2008, 10:47 pm CDT

Polygamist Compound

We have laws the last time I checked!   Don't get me wrong, it's sickening to me.  But it didn't start 6 months ago!  Why are the 'Powers that Be' that have known this was going on and on and on....., not being brought down too?    Are these lawmakers not accountable to the same laws we are???

April 20, 2008, 4:19 am CDT

04/22 Secrets inside the Compound

I think the focus here needs to be REMOVING the CRIME from this community, but RESPECTING the CULTURE.  Their pioneer dress code doesn't bother me at all.   We took in 7,000 Somali refugees a few years back and didn't make them change their clothes.  We have Amish Communities over parts of the US who are a great resource in every way to the US who dress the exact same way.  THE DIFFERENCE  in Amish communities:  16 yr old's marry 16 yr olds and its not against their will.  It's who they like.   I agree Warren Jeff deserves to be in jail.  After reading the People article... I think he's pretty much responsible for wrecking the community.  I would hate to be the one having to make the decision on this because I saw the photos of the tearful Mom's in the People magazine.  And if there is a mass suicide (history repeats itself),  Who are those kids going to blame?  This is all they know.  Maybe there's some US farms who will house these kids?  Because in a foster home with another 14 yr old American foster kid who has a problem smoking pot, listening to loud music and  cussing. I think the kids will be homesick and a dog will do some good to lick their tears...  As the adults fight the adult fight that the kids don't understand yet.

April 20, 2008, 7:23 am CDT

Find someone else to bother Dr. Phil

After the fury of the FLDS has passed maybe Dr. Phil and co. can go and bother the Amish! I hear that they also abuse their children. OH...that's right...they aren't quite as bad because they don't practice polygamy!

A hundred years ago nobody thought anything about a girl marrying at 13, 14 or 15. Why can't people be allowed to live their lives the way that they see fit, the way that works for them? What happenned to religious freedom in this country? Or does that only apply to people who the majority consider to be "morally correct"?

Leave these poor people alone and let the children go home to the families that love them!

April 20, 2008, 8:05 am CDT

FOR THE WOMAN WHO IS DEALING WITH DHS IN IOWA

Quote From: marilu48

All  I know is tht DHS of Iowa  is unrightfully takng my grandson away from my daughter and me and  we need someones help, even if it's Dr. Phill. Please help. Marilu M*****

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY FOR YOU!! I HAVE DEALT WITH DHS IN IOWA AND NOW MY SON AND HIS WIFE ARE DEALING WITH THE DHS IN MN BUT LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING........DHS IN IOWA IS A WHOLE LOT MORE DECEITFUL THAN THEY  EVEN ARE HERE! EVERYWHERE I BELIEVE THEY HAVE WAY TOO MUCH POWER!

AS FOR YOU GETTING ANY HELP FROM DR. PHIL FORGET IT!! I HAVE WRITTEN SEVERAL TIMES  TO HIM BUT THE BEST HELP I HAVE GOTTEN IS  ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD  FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE HAD DEALINGS WITH DHS /CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES TOO! 

here is my email address and if you want to send me an email i will send you some information that might help you. it has us anyway. enyadreams@mchsi.com  God Bless!

April 20, 2008, 8:14 am CDT

LEAVE THE CHILDRENA ND MOTHERS ALONE

I THINK THE STATE SHOULD KEEP THEIR NOSES OUT AND LEAVE THOSE CHILDREN WITH THEIR MOTHERS AND NOT TRAMATIZE THOSE POOR CHILDREN! YOU KNOW THEY ARE JUST GOUING TO BE PUT IN FOSTER HOMES AND THE OTHER CHILDREN ARE GOING TO RIDICULE THEM AND PICK ON THEM AND CAUSE THEM TO HAVE ALOT MORE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS!! WHAT IS TO BE DONE WITH ALL OF THEM? IT'S A CRYIN SHAME THAT CHILDREN CAN JUST BE TORN AWAY FROM THEIR MAMAS THE WAY THE STATE GETS TO DO TO THEM AND WHY, TO PUT THEM IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP , SO TO SPEAK  AND MAKE THEM CRY IN ANGUISH NIGHT AFTER NIGHT AND GET SICK? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ???????????

LET THEM GO HOME TO THEIR  MAMAS!!  

April 20, 2008, 8:44 am CDT

SARAH FOUND - COLORADO WOMAN - HISTORY HOAX CALLS

A Colorado woman with a history of making phony reports to police has been named by Texas Rangers as a "person of interest" who could have made the calls to a women's shelter that sparked the FLDS compound raid.

www.sltrib.com

Rozita Estraletta Swinton, 33, was arrested by police at her Colorado Springs apartment Wednesday.  Swinton's arrest came after the Texas Rangers contacted local authorities about a possible connection between Swinton and the raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ranch earlier this month.

But growing evidence indicates Swinton repeatedly made calls to authorities in multiple jurisdictions, setting off large emergency responses that sometimes involved dozens of police officers.  Swinton was released Friday from the El Paso County Jail after posting $20,000 bail.

Hope it helps!

April 20, 2008, 8:49 am CDT

You must be joking

Quote From: memasue

After the fury of the FLDS has passed maybe Dr. Phil and co. can go and bother the Amish! I hear that they also abuse their children. OH...that's right...they aren't quite as bad because they don't practice polygamy!

A hundred years ago nobody thought anything about a girl marrying at 13, 14 or 15. Why can't people be allowed to live their lives the way that they see fit, the way that works for them? What happenned to religious freedom in this country? Or does that only apply to people who the majority consider to be "morally correct"?

Leave these poor people alone and let the children go home to the families that love them!

Normally I would not respond to this but I have a curiosity. Is religion an excuse to sexually abuse someone in your family? I am afraid to ask if you have children. Sorry for being so judgmental, I am sure you have your own reasons for defending pedophiles and sexual abuse of children.

April 20, 2008, 9:29 am CDT

Culture vs. abuse....

Quote From: housewife52

I guess I am hoping that she is "hidden" somewhere by someone. The problem with that is by whom, and they really need her to help make the case. I agree, there is a chance she is dead. I hate to think it, but if she's still alive, where in the world is she? Some say there never was a call from a 16 year old asking for help, I believe there was. I saw on the news this morning, they are not releasing the children. I wonder how this is being explained to them? I guess we'll find out a little more about this aspect , on the show on Tuesday. I believe in the long run, the children would be better off not going back ever. But, how sad is that? Unless their mothers are willing to leave also and try to change the way they are living thier lives, what chance do these kids really have for a normal life?I know normal is subject to interpretation and I'm guessing most of those people feel that the way they are living is acceptable and right. But let's face it, that place is so far from anything reasonable and normal, it's pathetic.

What is the right thing to do here?  If you have a religion that focuses on this (what I and most consider to be) abuse as integral to their beliefs, then their belief system ends up on trial as well.  It's like a situation where you have human sacrifice as a religious belief, people would be murdered, but then you have religious freedom.  It's amazing the amount of crap people try to get away with "in the name of God".  Please, rape, abuse, exploitation of women....these shouldn't be a part of ANY belief system, and you can't have a bunch of sociopaths that think they can cross any boundary and claim that God told them to. 

April 20, 2008, 9:46 am CDT

I agree with you.

Quote From: princessgina

What was going on in these compounds was disgusting. Old guys raping little girls and marrying them! The women are so brainwashed they can tell right from wrong anymore. I hope the law keeps these kids out from these monster's hands forever.

I think those "Old guys" as you say, are nothing but PEDOPHILES and RAPISTS.

The woman have been brainwashed:  I recently saw an interview on a morning show and the look in those women's faces told it all - blank.  They were EMOTIONLESS.  They have been beaten (literally) down so bad, by these abusers.

I wish Dr. Phil and other media people would QUIT using the term "ALLEDGED", when it comes to discribing young children being pregnant.  Some of us have seen it with our own eyes!!!.  Let's stick with the FACTS.  The fact is:  CHILDREN are being raped and forced to marry their RAPISTS.

The best thing that could've happened is the State stepped in and removed the children.  Anyone who says otherwise is BLIND and truly IN DENIAL.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last