Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2008, 2:58 pm CDT

Polygamists in Texas

Dr Phil

I heard you were doing a show about the mormon polygamists in Texas. There are No Mormons, NO MORMONS in the Polygamit sect. They are a very early breakoff from the mormons and have been excommunicated from our  religion. I feel that it needs to be made known that there is a difference, and that the Mormons do not have anything to do with polygamy since just before our area became a State. I feel sorry for what has happened in Texas, but when you thumb your nose at the law, and outwardly break the law by having multiple wives and by marrying under age Im glad that Texas did what Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and Colorado was afraid to do. It will be shocking when the DNA testing starts coming out. This sect has gone far beyond simple polygamy.

April 21, 2008, 8:44 pm CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: rhea435

Dr Phil

I heard you were doing a show about the mormon polygamists in Texas. There are No Mormons, NO MORMONS in the Polygamit sect. They are a very early breakoff from the mormons and have been excommunicated from our  religion. I feel that it needs to be made known that there is a difference, and that the Mormons do not have anything to do with polygamy since just before our area became a State. I feel sorry for what has happened in Texas, but when you thumb your nose at the law, and outwardly break the law by having multiple wives and by marrying under age Im glad that Texas did what Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and Colorado was afraid to do. It will be shocking when the DNA testing starts coming out. This sect has gone far beyond simple polygamy.

I want to thank you also.

I am no longer LDS, but it INFURIATES me when people just lump this scum in with Mormonism.

April 22, 2008, 12:19 am CDT

Ironic, isn't it?

Some people make a big thing about lesbian moms raising their boy children, saying what kind of influence is that, and here we see  what can happen when certain fundamentalist imitation Mormans raise boy children.

April 22, 2008, 1:20 pm CDT

How can I help

I just want to help.  If there is anyway I can help those children be safe and out of harms way, I'll do it.  Is there a webiste that is set up to help the foster families or the community that is giving to these wonderful little lives that are turned upside down?

We can talk about how bad it is for those that are in the thick of this whole mess but the truth is, we need to come together as a nation and help those lives that need us.

April 22, 2008, 4:41 pm CDT

I second the motion

Quote From: fensterdog

I just want to help.  If there is anyway I can help those children be safe and out of harms way, I'll do it.  Is there a webiste that is set up to help the foster families or the community that is giving to these wonderful little lives that are turned upside down?

We can talk about how bad it is for those that are in the thick of this whole mess but the truth is, we need to come together as a nation and help those lives that need us.

Yes, it is a fine suggestion. 

April 22, 2008, 5:42 pm CDT

Yeah...

Quote From: fensterdog

There are a couple of websites I found for these children:

The Diversity Foundation,

http://www.smilesfordiversity.org/cod.php 

helps these lost boys from the FLDS assimilate to life outside the compound.

The Hope Foundation thru United Way that helps abuse victims of polygamist relationships.

http://www.childbrides.org

Also, Tapestry against Polygamy

http://www.polygamy.org/donate.shtml

AND Texas CPS:

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/

Hope these help, especially the last one, there are direct links to donate items and services!

April 23, 2008, 1:38 am CDT

"Children" in Custody

I just thought I'd mention...

Of those 'children' who were taken into custody, several of them were pregnant, and how many with their second or third child?

I think those who are mothers to many of the children are there with them because they marry by 14 years of age - by 17, they could have a few kids along with them and nurse whichever ones are struggling to switch to other methods of feeding.  Those under 17 are with their children.

The point is beyond the issue of 'false reporting' now - they took in several children who were pregnant and have had a few kids, that constitutes statutory rape in any state, and clearly more than once.  Once the DNA tests come back they'll be able to work out how many kids each woman has had and that may show how long they've been actually giving birth.  Girls who give birth very young also become damaged sometimes so those kinds of things may be easily found through medical tests like ultrasounds or MRI.

What concerns me is the burdening of the CPS and fostering systems... The men almost need to turn over some of that money they were getting from their kids and let a foster compound be built just for them so they are not indeed molested or hurt by whatever broken system is currently in place to handle a few kids at a time, not 400 with several on the way.

It's also concerning to see the status of the women, they look malnourished, fragile, overwrought....they seem... zombie-like, afraid, but not like afraid of what is happening now, more like afraid of what would happen to them if they don't 'do it right' or 'say it right'....Where are the men, why are they hiding behind the women they control?  If they were 'alpha males' they would be out in front with the women locked behind closed doors... It would be interesting to hear from criminal profilers about this because something just doesn't add up.  It's almost like men who couldn't make it in a regular life are living on the compound so they don't have to do anything but make babies and be waited on.

It seems fairly clear that whatever sense of faith or devotion the women could have had toward their Maker has been indoctrinated into worship of  Warren Jeff's and the men in general.  It's probably not difficult to  get the women to be inspired by their lifestyles  - none of them has to be struggling to take care of all those kids by themselves, t hey have sister wives to help and if it's 'their day' ... The weddings with young girls to men old enough to be their grandfathers and who may in some way actually be their grandfathers or uncles and certainly their cousins... well no young girl in their right mind is attracted to some creepy crusty old dude, but when you've been indoctrinated to look forward to that 'marriage bed' in the church building and men have been groping at you your whole life - it must over sexualize them at an early age to be ready for it and then of course - the belonging they get once they join the sister wives... I'm sure they long to grow up and prove themselves as worthy...

Sigh... I had some reactions to the show also because there is a lot of religious experiences that are isolating and insular as they are and I've been around them and seen how they affect a person.   I know many people who come from a certain church who once they were no longer a part of it feel lost and completely lose their sense of personhood.  They have similar fears, they have a sense that once they walked away that everything idealized in their heart toward God was no longer possible or even realistic so they lose the sense that the God they thought they loved could move outside of that framework and still be part of their lives... So much about religion can be so dangerous I think there should be some study done on how to protect society from places that do that to people.

Thanks for doing the shows Dr Phil.

April 23, 2008, 3:20 am CDT

poligamy case in Texas

This whole case boggles my mind  first thig being that this han't been stopped before now f theris a gate and fence then you are keeping something in or someone outwhch is a pretty od idication that somehing is wrong. Second the state of Texas is still in theUSA and Ica't belive they don't register births and deaths, that is one lawthat neds to change now! how do they track people in Texas, well they don't.

I believe in America and itscostitution andits laws,  beieve in religious freedom, from persicsion,but I also believe we must liv by the laws of our land and society, and this s so wrong, this s the worst kind of abuse, it is slavery, sexual, mental, and physical abuse by thevery people youare suppose to be able o trust your father and the church.

The govermet needs to ste in andsieze the ranch,and everything of value and sale it and useto help pay ther cost of all the cour case, therapy and DNA testng that is goig to be needed. And all the so called men involved shuld be tied and convicted and marked as a sexual preditor and be monitored closely. And make very sure they don't move andstart over somepla else.

And then I ca't evenbegin to imagion how here in 2008 tha thee women could be so brain washed and can't even think for themselves, they make me so angry.

April 23, 2008, 5:44 am CDT

it's not just here...

i was a member of the lds and they believe in plural marriages after death-a women on earth can be sealed to her husband for time and all eternity-but in the case of his death she can only be lovingly sealed to her first husband and not the second without a temple divorce-and yet if the women passes he can be remarried and sealed to his next wife bring her home to the after life as a united family...

So in actuality these people are living the standards of zion prior to death prior to the second coming...and yet the church of jesus christ of latter day saints practices this and teaches this as doctrine.

We have communities within our own that eat dogs, that disipline their children with extreme force, we change our veiws to accomidate the religious practices of others and yet condem these people for their beliefs upon an unknown telephone call.

I beleive we have crossed a boundry with these people-regardless of the situations and living conditions children should not be removed from there parents-we do not remove 8 chinese children from a 1 bedroom apartment- we starve our own and feed our immigrants in the name of diversity...

Why now do we feel it is okay to attack those who have minded there own business for such a long time?

It has always been a curiosity upon human nature to expose what they do not know and attack that to which is different-if anything a law should be passed that girls should not be allowed to marry until the age of 16  without proper identification-child molesters or men who fancy young girls should all be sentanced the same and everyone should be entitled to a space to breath love and excersise there own beliefs-EVERYONE not just those who practice in large numbers seperately within there homes but those who feel a compound is there only safe haven...perhaps those gates were put there to keep us out not keep them in...

I do find this situation disturbing in so many degrees-but i have been taught that this behaviour is wrong by my parents there parents and the parents before...am i a prisoner?

April 23, 2008, 6:23 am CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: rhea435

Dr Phil

Mormon Religion is very new compared to others religions, a 100 + years is not so long ago.

if they practice from the Book of Mormon they are Mormon,Just because one part of the branch is embarrassed by the other, doesn't give you right to to take their religion away. They could say the same to you, that the LDS does not practice the Mormon religion to the Principle the primary teaching of it Prophet J. Smith.                                     just a little devils advocate for ya.

The Doc called it, like it is, They are a fundamentalist Mormon Church. remember according to your founder J. Smith and why your religion was started, was that all other religions where wrong, so they can't go to another religion, the Book of mormon is the only religion.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last