Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 30, 2008, 9:37 am CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: getrealtime

moving on, posted this before reading last post from friendlygal, willing to discuse the problem with the flds in texas.
Do you think the State of Texas made a good call in taking the kids out of the home?

April 30, 2008, 9:45 am CDT

Missing Links

FriendlyGal,

No this is not about evolution, but I just thought I would ask you to copy the URL string in the address window for that Encyclopedia article. I would like to click on the links that you have recommended.

You may have to enable it in your browser so that you can do so. 

Thanks

April 30, 2008, 9:54 am CDT

I belive they did what they had to do

Quote From: friendlygal

Do you think the State of Texas made a good call in taking the kids out of the home?

Due to the refusal of the members of the sect to come clean on the names, parents, children and other family members, they have really taken the authorities to task. They have obviously been coached into silence and non-cooperation. 

It was also necessary to separate these children just to find out that over half of the teenage girls 17 and under are or have been pregnant. The lack of cooperation and maybe even their own ignorance of who truly fathered the children has necessitated DNA tests and the prolonging of the children's return.

If they want their children returned to them within any decent length of time then it is time for these FLDS women to start talking.

April 30, 2008, 10:50 am CDT

i think it really depends on how it turns out, if nothing come from this, No I think the state but the kids though a very scary situation. Making the flds right in the minds of the children, outsiders are scary and not to be trusted. but if they can find away to keep these children and educate them , and show them that they do have other choices, in their religion, that W. Jeffs is not the only way and his teaching are not the way to heaven.

these children have to be so scared, they think they are in the heads of the enemy, and I think it is going to take along time for the older children to trust, and I hope Texas does not lose it.

April 30, 2008, 12:17 pm CDT

i think it really depends on how it turns out, if nothing come from this, No I think the state but the kids though a very scary situation. Making the flds right in the minds of the children, outsiders are scary and not to be trusted. but if they can find away to keep these children and educate them , and show them that they do have other choices, in their religion, that W. Jeffs is not the only way and his teaching are not the way to heaven.

these children have to be so scared, they think they are in the heads of the enemy, and I think it is going to take along time for the older children to trust, and I hope Texas does not lose it.

I have had mixed feelings on the issue. Some days I think "how could they have ripped all these kids away from their mothers?", and other days I wonder if there even was any other alternative. I think it's sad because it may be possible that not all these kids have been victimized and yet they were all taken out. I saw Dateline the other night and they showed a husband and wife who are FLDS and that haven't practiced polygamy yet, and had six kids, and were heartbroken that they took them away. It's such a bad situation. I honestly don't know if there is a right or wrong answer in what they did. I feel so bad for the kids. It's so sad!!!

April 30, 2008, 12:20 pm CDT

Quote From: kennyllc

Due to the refusal of the members of the sect to come clean on the names, parents, children and other family members, they have really taken the authorities to task. They have obviously been coached into silence and non-cooperation. 

It was also necessary to separate these children just to find out that over half of the teenage girls 17 and under are or have been pregnant. The lack of cooperation and maybe even their own ignorance of who truly fathered the children has necessitated DNA tests and the prolonging of the children's return.

If they want their children returned to them within any decent length of time then it is time for these FLDS women to start talking.

I agree, I wish these women would have courage and come forward, I feel for them too though because they truly believe that it's the right choice to not come forward, or perhaps they are afraid too. Probably some of both.

April 30, 2008, 12:21 pm CDT

Quote From: kennyllc

FriendlyGal,

No this is not about evolution, but I just thought I would ask you to copy the URL string in the address window for that Encyclopedia article. I would like to click on the links that you have recommended.

You may have to enable it in your browser so that you can do so. 

Thanks

I noticed  the links can't be clicked on, but here is the web address. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

April 30, 2008, 2:23 pm CDT

I have had mixed feelings on the issue. Some days I think "how could they have ripped all these kids away from their mothers?", and other days I wonder if there even was any other alternative. I think it's sad because it may be possible that not all these kids have been victimized and yet they were all taken out. I saw Dateline the other night and they showed a husband and wife who are FLDS and that haven't practiced polygamy yet, and had six kids, and were heartbroken that they took them away. It's such a bad situation. I honestly don't know if there is a right or wrong answer in what they did. I feel so bad for the kids. It's so sad!!!

I don't know if i have a promble withthe polygamy part of it as long as they adults over the age of 21 and the children are happy healthyat home, go to public, know their rights. and had nothing to do with the FLDS or any kind of compound thing going on.

I watched a dateline show showing polygamist from I think utah, they looked happy, in their lifes children went to mainsteam school looked like a all american family excepted  the three wife thing.

back to the kids, i wish that all the states that the FLDS are in would police their compounds make sure that the children have a real education, teaching what is taught in every school in the U.S, that would be start, if they coulddo that then the children could grow up and choose what religion they want or what life style they want, they would just know more about life, and what is right for them.

April 30, 2008, 4:14 pm CDT

Polygamy is Illegal

I don't know if i have a promble withthe polygamy part of it as long as they adults over the age of 21 and the children are happy healthyat home, go to public, know their rights. and had nothing to do with the FLDS or any kind of compound thing going on.

I watched a dateline show showing polygamist from I think utah, they looked happy, in their lifes children went to mainsteam school looked like a all american family excepted  the three wife thing.

back to the kids, i wish that all the states that the FLDS are in would police their compounds make sure that the children have a real education, teaching what is taught in every school in the U.S, that would be start, if they coulddo that then the children could grow up and choose what religion they want or what life style they want, they would just know more about life, and what is right for them.

"I don't know if i have a promble withthe polygamy part of it as long as they adults over the age of 21 and the children are happy healthyat home, go to public, know their rights. and had nothing to do with the FLDS or any kind of compound thing going on. "

The problems with polygamy are tremendous, and there is a reason for it being illegal. Not only are the courtroom dramas long and drawn out in divorce cases, but the children of ploygamy are pulled in many different directions. It also becomes a communal mish-mash of unidentified flying objects within the family court system. 

"Duck everybody! Was that another kid flying across the room?!"

Not so funny, but true.

If you think divorce court is bad among 2 individuals, try getting 3 or 4 or 5 or 6, etc.. involved!

The affections issue is yet another legal problem. Adultery is the most common complaint for divorce, and rightfully so. 

The practice of polygamy smacks marital fidelity right in the face, and wrests away the tender affections of marital bliss in exchange for the right to undue sexual gratification with various women. 

Why do these men even bother with marriage at all?

April 30, 2008, 4:41 pm CDT

Thanks

I noticed  the links can't be clicked on, but here is the web address. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

Thanks for the link. Although I think Wikipedia winds up with some pretty objective descriptions, it is also an open encyclopedia, meaning that anyone can edit it.

I have never  tried to edit anything there myself, but you may want to try it sometime yourself just to find out if and how it works.

I like to get things from the horses mouth too, therefore when an individual will leave his name and relate his life story and experience to everyone at pain of being ostracised by the masses, I tend to believe them more than an online encyclopedia.

I mean, wouldn't you ?

First | Prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Next | Last