Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 3, 2008, 1:45 pm CDT

I Agree...

Quote From: friendlygal

Unfortunetly children are molested and abused every day. It happens in the LDS no more than it happens in any average family anytime anywhere. It's a problem world wide, and it is so devestating. All I can tell you is that the LDS leaders are completely intolerant of such acts. That doesn't mean you have to believe me, you have a right to your opinion, but we as a church are reminded oft of the scripture in Luke that says "It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones."  

...however, the SANCTIONING of child moestation through underage marriage and apparently polygamy itself was still in effect in 1997 in Utah, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Everyone knows that Utah is an LDS state, and it is inexcusable of Mormons who claim it to be otherwise while scape-goating some people behind a chain-link fence in Texas.

May 3, 2008, 1:53 pm CDT

I'm in S.C.

Quote From: aurapurple

kenny, I agree whole heartedly with your posts.  I feel you are dynamic and passionate with what seems like first hand knowledge of the nuances of the LDS.  (I don't know if "nuance" is the right word, but whatever.)  I am in So. Utah right now, Big Water to be exact. ( about 100 miles East of Colorado City) I have some time on my hands and plan to donate my time to helping with the rescue that is still going on out here.  Are you in an area where you might be able to put your passion to work in any way? 

I'm in South Carolina. The commute and legal battle with whatever is to come is a terible burden on the temporary custodians, because it is left as an intrastate effort, rather than a federal interstate legal battle. I have needy family though, and we spend a good bit of money on the grand-children here. Wish there was something that I could do; other than this, I don't think I can do much.

But knowledge in the hands of concerned FLDS parents should be their main concern if they wish to take care of what is truly important. Otherwise, they can just sit and stare at Warren Jeff's piuctures, needle-points, baseball cards, doily's and place mats until the cows come home while other people take their children. Or they can stand there on there porches and keep watch over the chain link fence for what other "Enemies" of Satan may be coming their way.

May 3, 2008, 2:27 pm CDT

children of polygamy removed from compound

II can't find where to post this, but I saw Dr. Phil on Larry King expressing concern about the children who were removed from their mothers. I am concerned, too, but I don't see what else the Texas authorities could have done. Since nobody seems to be telling the truth about the identities of the children, DNA will have to show it. Until we know which children need help and which are safe with their mothers, they will all have to stay in foster care.  I agree.  This is not the best solution.  I hope the process is swift and sure so that the children who are safe can be returned to their mothers. In the meantime, I hope this case goes to court soon and that the men are called upon to testify. The polygamy lifestyle itself does not bother me when it is between consenting adults.  What does bother me is that so many children are in danger and apparently have been for generations.  I agree with Dr. Phil that the social services will have to be able to keep up with what's going on within the compound. These children's Constitutional rights are being violated, not in the area of freedom of religion but in the area of basic Civil Rights.

May 3, 2008, 7:37 pm CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: kennyllc

...however, the SANCTIONING of child moestation through underage marriage and apparently polygamy itself was still in effect in 1997 in Utah, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Everyone knows that Utah is an LDS state, and it is inexcusable of Mormons who claim it to be otherwise while scape-goating some people behind a chain-link fence in Texas.

I understand your concerns but just because a huge majority of Utah is Mormon, (and I mean huge) it is not a "mormon" state. There are many non LDS people that are there, and we in no way can control if people choose to practice polygamy. As I said polygamy was practiced over a 150 years ago and hasn't been practiced since. LDS people today shouldn't be blamed for what others choose to do. Lds in no way sanctions underage marriage, and especially child abuse.

May 4, 2008, 7:59 am CDT

Lot's of stupid state laws and Exemptions

I understand your concerns but just because a huge majority of Utah is Mormon, (and I mean huge) it is not a "mormon" state. There are many non LDS people that are there, and we in no way can control if people choose to practice polygamy. As I said polygamy was practiced over a 150 years ago and hasn't been practiced since. LDS people today shouldn't be blamed for what others choose to do. Lds in no way sanctions underage marriage, and especially child abuse.

Many of the old state laws are lenient toward underage sex when applied to marriage, as people way back when used to marry as early as 12 years old. Georgia was the same way. I had a neighbor who died at 65 in the early 1990's who married at 12, and stayed with the same husband until she died of cancer.

Texas is one of them and is probably the sole reason why the FLDS people moved there.

Utah is no exception in this fiasco and South Carolina has had the consensual sex age set at 16 for decades.

The state of Utah has A LOT of Mormon's, and if they are serious about stopping child-molestation through polygamy and marriage, then it seems to me they would have done so way back when at about the same time as they disavowed themselves from polygamy, being such an LDS oriented state. Otherwise you are blaming outsiders for keeping the law that way, or blaming the small contingency of FLDS and reform LDS people for having such a bad system that does not protect children.

Go ahead and believe that way if you like, but I am not buying it. The laws were created by a majority of LDS people, just like they were created by southern legislators who preferred young girls.

They still put them in miniskirts and watch them bounce around every Friday night . It is a a favorite community  "sport" and it is not limited to the southeast U.S.. 

May 4, 2008, 7:32 pm CDT

Many of the old state laws are lenient toward underage sex when applied to marriage, as people way back when used to marry as early as 12 years old. Georgia was the same way. I had a neighbor who died at 65 in the early 1990's who married at 12, and stayed with the same husband until she died of cancer.

Texas is one of them and is probably the sole reason why the FLDS people moved there.

Utah is no exception in this fiasco and South Carolina has had the consensual sex age set at 16 for decades.

The state of Utah has A LOT of Mormon's, and if they are serious about stopping child-molestation through polygamy and marriage, then it seems to me they would have done so way back when at about the same time as they disavowed themselves from polygamy, being such an LDS oriented state. Otherwise you are blaming outsiders for keeping the law that way, or blaming the small contingency of FLDS and reform LDS people for having such a bad system that does not protect children.

Go ahead and believe that way if you like, but I am not buying it. The laws were created by a majority of LDS people, just like they were created by southern legislators who preferred young girls.

They still put them in miniskirts and watch them bounce around every Friday night . It is a a favorite community  "sport" and it is not limited to the southeast U.S.. 

I very much disagree with your way of thinking, but like I said you are certainly entitled to your opininion. I grew up in GA. and had an aunt who married at 13. The laws are to blame, not the LDS people.  We don't condone what  is happening, but that's like telling the catholics that they are ALL to blame for all the molesting that went down. That's not really fair of you at all. Plus, laws being created by a majority of LDS? Um, my uncle is a lawyer and he says laws change all the time. The  LDS settled in Utah over a 100 years ago. I am sure the laws have changed to a degree wouldn't you think? I don't mean to be insensitive, but it's very niave on your part to think that LDS people make all the decisions in Utah. 

May 6, 2008, 7:15 am CDT

Utah LDS

I very much disagree with your way of thinking, but like I said you are certainly entitled to your opininion. I grew up in GA. and had an aunt who married at 13. The laws are to blame, not the LDS people.  We don't condone what  is happening, but that's like telling the catholics that they are ALL to blame for all the molesting that went down. That's not really fair of you at all. Plus, laws being created by a majority of LDS? Um, my uncle is a lawyer and he says laws change all the time. The  LDS settled in Utah over a 100 years ago. I am sure the laws have changed to a degree wouldn't you think? I don't mean to be insensitive, but it's very niave on your part to think that LDS people make all the decisions in Utah. 

The point is, (according to the Salt Lake Tribune that I quoted), that those laws DIDN"T C HANGE just like they didn't in the southern states they were lenient toward the underaged marriage loophole for consentual sex. I am not simply trying to point blame at modern-day LDS members, rather I have proven the origin of polygamy and the history of it's religious origins in the LDS roots.

The fact that a 14 year old could marry a 51 year old in Salt Lake City in 1997, simply proves my point.

Likewise, the now-dwindling 70% LDS population in Utah was largely responsible for the antiquated consentual sex laws in it's state.

http://www.behindzioncurtain.com/statistics/

May 6, 2008, 9:30 am CDT

The point is, (according to the Salt Lake Tribune that I quoted), that those laws DIDN"T C HANGE just like they didn't in the southern states they were lenient toward the underaged marriage loophole for consentual sex. I am not simply trying to point blame at modern-day LDS members, rather I have proven the origin of polygamy and the history of it's religious origins in the LDS roots.

The fact that a 14 year old could marry a 51 year old in Salt Lake City in 1997, simply proves my point.

Likewise, the now-dwindling 70% LDS population in Utah was largely responsible for the antiquated consentual sex laws in it's state.

http://www.behindzioncurtain.com/statistics/

Rather then giving links to anti mormon websites please do share links to non bias reliable sources.

May 6, 2008, 11:14 am CDT

Okay, sorry...

Rather then giving links to anti mormon websites please do share links to non bias reliable sources.
... it's just that I find pro-Mormon websites to be biased and unreliable.

May 6, 2008, 2:54 pm CDT

Well then...

... it's just that I find pro-Mormon websites to be biased and unreliable.
I agree to disagree.

First | Prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Next | Last