Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 1:08 pm CDT

Disappointed

I'm just sad that Dr Phil, whom I adore, has taken this tack on the subject.

Nothing has been proven. the caller hasn't come forward, or been identified, its to early too make such judgements.

If someone is harming these children, they need to be hunted down and made to pay, but I just cannot see all of these women allying themselves with this sort.

As for CASA, my family recently suffered horribly, dealing with CPS, two foster babies my son and his wife had for a year were ripped away on Christmas Eve, and returned to a mother who had done nothing to change herself or her situation.

CASA did not want them to be returned, but the judge paid no attention to them. What good is that?

April 23, 2008, 1:09 pm CDT

Information to Consider

Hello, message board.  My prayers go out to all involved in this case.  Along with my prayers, I leave a link to a site that has 2 articles that will be good to consider.  Also, since the site has an abundance of material, I encourage you all to investigate other topics as well on the site.  Hopefully, it will be enlightening to you all..................

www.christiancourier.com

Articles: "Fundamentalist Mormonism Is the Original Mormonism" and "How to Identify a Cult".

Take Care.  

April 23, 2008, 1:12 pm CDT

Wake up America!

How long has polygamy been an accepted practice in the U.S.?  And why is it just now that you are rising up against its practice and why all of a sudden is it child abuse?  Welcome to the world, we're glad your eyes are open.  Now that you're up, save those children.  But, I'm afraid you're still in the dark, you've stolen "The Lost Boys" from a group who endured unspeakable hardship.  This is to enlighten you, something you seem to need.  http://www.redcross.org/news/in/africa/0108lostboyspage.html

April 23, 2008, 1:15 pm CDT

Children of the Compound

First of all, get those children back to their mothers now.  They are being more emotionally damaged by those of us who mean well, but they have no one familiar to them to advocate for them, except lawyers.

If, as said on the show, to educate the mothers on parenting skills, etc, do it once the children are returned.  Can you even imagine, as a young child, being taken away from your mother, thrown out into a world they have never known, and no mother to comfort their fear of this huge unknown.  Send therse children home immediately and then, only then should the state decide to educate the mother's about laws and behavior.  The innocent children did not deserve this - if someone did this to one of my kids, I'd be brokenhearted.  Look at the mother's faces,. all they want is their kids back, and if the "DAD" is no longer there maybe they will be more receptive to this new world of ours. What next - take every kid from every polygamous family?   These kids, taken from their home,are in every way, victims of all of us, taking away everything familiar to them.

April 23, 2008, 1:31 pm CDT

cult's children

My opinion is to put the children in foster homes where they will have a chance to a life.  Train the mothers on our laws and do follow ups on the compound to make sure future children are not abused.  Our tax dollars has been keeping these people long enough.  This could be the time when change will happen!

April 23, 2008, 1:34 pm CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: pinkjorgensen

What I want to know is why the LDS of today aren't stepping in and taking in these kids? This is one of the biggest churches in the country, surely they can place these children.......LDS/FLDS same difference. They both have the ORIGINAL teachings of Joseph Smith listed as priority. It's time for the LDS to step up and practice what they preach. Actions speak louder than words... how about a little charity for thesepoor kids?
"LDS/FLDS same difference"

No, BIG difference. I do agree that LDS people can probably help in ways other Christians wouldn't be able to...but the differences between these two religions is HUGE.

LDS people have more in common with Catholics than they do FLDS people. Trust me on that.

And, FYI, I live in the Salt Lake valley and MANY MANY MANY MANY LDS people are reaching out to help. It's been all over the news here for a while.

Why don't you say this to other religion, or any people for that matter? Practice what they preach? You don't even seem to know WHAT that is exactly.

April 23, 2008, 1:34 pm CDT

Quote From: gwarrior6

Reading the Bible doesn't make you a Christian anymore than reading Grey's Anatomy makes you a doctor, it's what you understand, believe, and what you center your beliefs around.  The FLDS centers around Warren Jeffs and his commands and the LDS centers around Jesus and His commands.  You might as well lump both of these groups along with the Baptists and the Lutherans, cause we're just ALL the same anyway...LOL! 

You can't lump all Baptist together either, for that matter, there are Southern Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, etc.  They're not all the same. 

Thank you very much for this post. Well said.

April 23, 2008, 1:36 pm CDT

Lost Boys

Watching the show and listening to the two young men reminded me so much of my experience with Jehovah's Witnesses, I was a JW for thirty years. When I left the elders told me I was doomed and God woiuld not listen to my prayers. The people I was friends with and known since I was 23 yrs, old would not ever speak to me again. I am dead to them The story about the color red was funny to me. I had a red coat and got in trouble for having it. Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. They not marry multiple wives but the thinking is the same. The man is the absolute authority in the home. Many girls marry young. You are not allowed to really date so most have known each other since they were babies. You are not allowed to associate with anyone who is not a JW. I pray for those people but it is true their eyes are blinded to what is true. It is hard to break free from a cult and getting into "the world". is hard. I did it and never regretted leaving.

April 23, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

Quote From: faulkner17

First of all, get those children back to their mothers now.  They are being more emotionally damaged by those of us who mean well, but they have no one familiar to them to advocate for them, except lawyers.

If, as said on the show, to educate the mothers on parenting skills, etc, do it once the children are returned.  Can you even imagine, as a young child, being taken away from your mother, thrown out into a world they have never known, and no mother to comfort their fear of this huge unknown.  Send therse children home immediately and then, only then should the state decide to educate the mother's about laws and behavior.  The innocent children did not deserve this - if someone did this to one of my kids, I'd be brokenhearted.  Look at the mother's faces,. all they want is their kids back, and if the "DAD" is no longer there maybe they will be more receptive to this new world of ours. What next - take every kid from every polygamous family?   These kids, taken from their home,are in every way, victims of all of us, taking away everything familiar to them.

You have no idea if this is "more emotionally damaging" or not. That is a baseless opinion.

As much as these mothers are victims they are also perpetrators of abuse. People don't have to just be either or...they CAN be both.

April 23, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

Quote From: gwarrior6

Reading the Bible doesn't make you a Christian anymore than reading Grey's Anatomy makes you a doctor, it's what you understand, believe, and what you center your beliefs around.  The FLDS centers around Warren Jeffs and his commands and the LDS centers around Jesus and His commands.  You might as well lump both of these groups along with the Baptists and the Lutherans, cause we're just ALL the same anyway...LOL! 

You can't lump all Baptist together either, for that matter, there are Southern Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, etc.  They're not all the same. 

I forgot everything needs to be pointed out, I should of said the belief in what the Bible says, and living by it. make you a Christian, and then said Lutherans and Baptist study form the same Bible both have different names go to different churches but believe what is in one book.

You make a good point for me  Southhern Baptist, First Baptist, they go to different churches but one is not  more Baptist then the other, one might speak in tonges, and one might be embarassed by it but the don't say that their not Baptist, they say i belong to the other Baptist church we don't speak in tonge I not believe in in it.and move on.

Besides By law they are Mormon,

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last