Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

outraged!

I had to write after hearing that you believe these children should go back to their families.  Did you listen to what the woman told you yesterday?  Did you hear her talk about the amount of sexual abuse that was just normal.  All the girls were experiencing it?  I thought once a child molester always a child molester.  Do you honestly think the men in the sect are going to change?  Do you honestly think the women are going to leave the men?  YES THE CHILDREN SHOULD BE TAKEN AWAY!!!  That is the only way for them to have a chance at a normal life.  Isn't child abuse against the law in the United States?  Isn't polygamy against the law in the United States?

April 23, 2008, 2:00 pm CDT

REMOVE MEN, NOT CHILDREN, FROM COMPOUND

It's the men who are doing the offending.  Let THEM be removed, locked up, and tested.  Credit for the idea goes to former Prime Minister Golda Meier, who advocated this for men attacking women after dark in Israel. 

April 23, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: pinkjorgensen

What I want to know is why the LDS of today aren't stepping in and taking in these kids? This is one of the biggest churches in the country, surely they can place these children.......LDS/FLDS same difference. They both have the ORIGINAL teachings of Joseph Smith listed as priority. It's time for the LDS to step up and practice what they preach. Actions speak louder than words... how about a little charity for thesepoor kids?

Big difference!   FLDS and LDS are not the same.

Learn for yourself  check it out 

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/senior-church-leader-appeals-to-media-to-make-distinction

Click on the video

April 23, 2008, 2:04 pm CDT

Quote From: gwarrior6

Reading the Bible doesn't make you a Christian anymore than reading Grey's Anatomy makes you a doctor, it's what you understand, believe, and what you center your beliefs around.  The FLDS centers around Warren Jeffs and his commands and the LDS centers around Jesus and His commands.  You might as well lump both of these groups along with the Baptists and the Lutherans, cause we're just ALL the same anyway...LOL! 

You can't lump all Baptist together either, for that matter, there are Southern Baptists, Free Will Baptists, Primitive Baptists, etc.  They're not all the same. 

=)  You really made me laugh!

Very well said!   Thank you

April 23, 2008, 2:15 pm CDT

Quote From: cyncritter

I find it difficult to believe that a state wherein the already CPS governed children, many of whom are still awaiting good foster care, and those whose foster care parents leave a lot to be desired, can even begin to take on a case of this magnitude. What's going to happen if these children are NOT permitted to return to their mothers in this unlawful existence... and many are placed in foster homes wherein they are sexually abused and mistreated by the families CPS has picked? What THEN??! Two wrong hardly make a right...

So why not tell the mothers IF they want their children back, they have to live with a selected family?

I would like to know why would we allow them to go back with there Mother's ? Look at the life they lived. They do not know what is best for there children. They were raped at a young age and so will be there daughters.

I believe the Mother's should also be given a better life out side that hell hole. The Mother's should be placed along with the children in a new and loving home for a new beginning;

Kim

April 23, 2008, 2:15 pm CDT

The Children

I was glad to hear that Dr. Phil had the answer that seems to be the best solution for all the families involved. The children need to be with their mothers and the fathers that are willing to change and repent of their sins. Its a sad situation and my heart grieves for them all.

April 23, 2008, 2:17 pm CDT

Quote From: getrealtime

I forgot everything needs to be pointed out, I should of said the belief in what the Bible says, and living by it. make you a Christian, and then said Lutherans and Baptist study form the same Bible both have different names go to different churches but believe what is in one book.

You make a good point for me  Southhern Baptist, First Baptist, they go to different churches but one is not  more Baptist then the other, one might speak in tonges, and one might be embarassed by it but the don't say that their not Baptist, they say i belong to the other Baptist church we don't speak in tonge I not believe in in it.and move on.

Besides By law they are Mormon,

By "law" they are Mormon...LOL!!!! What does THAT mean? What law? What are you talking about?!

You have just made MY point with THIS post.  People don't like to have themselves associated with sick perverts.

FLDS do NOT call themselves "Mormon"...LDS people DO. These two groups don't WANT to be associated with each other. They are NOT associated with each other. The ONLY thing they have in common is they stem from the same religion 100+ years ago.

So, please, knock it off. No one, NO ONE uses the word "Mormon" to describe these people except those who don't understand the difference. You have been explained the difference. So please, stop it already.

April 23, 2008, 2:20 pm CDT

I agree with D.A. Johnson's post

I to am curious to know where the money comes from that buys the property and builds the compound.   They may have the skills to get the job done, but that place didn't look like there wasn't some substantial cash involved in its construction.   Also where are the men?  Why aren't they talking about how horrible it is to take their children away?   You try to take my husband's kids away and he'll push me out of the way to get to the mike and scream foul.

April 23, 2008, 2:23 pm CDT

Foster care

How can I help with becoming a foster parent ? How can I help with a Mother and her children ?

April 23, 2008, 2:27 pm CDT

Quote From: kennyllc

Your reply sounds well and good, and if this is true of the Mormon's and the doctrines that you are aware of then why haven't they also disavowed themselves from Joseph Smith's writings altogether and the historically evil polygamy of Brigham Young?

Why haven't they rejected the Book of Mormon, and Joseph's other writings in favor of the bible alone, while also changing their name to distinguish themselves from the evils of these former polygamists?

A lot of picking and choosing, of what the Prophet Smith heard. But most religions do change there words around,change what is  embarrasses  them. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last