Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 2:32 pm CDT

This is not the only "religion" like this.....

I'm actually writing after just watching the show today about the FLDS children and what's happening to them, and what has happened during their lives. It just annoys me that this is getting so much attention when there are other "religions" out there that do much the same. I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and of course they don't believe in childhood marriages or polygamy, but much of the rest of the indoctrination is the same. We were taught to think of the rest of the world as the "outside world that was of Satan" and we were to be proud of the fact that we were different and sometimes treated unfairly for our beliefs. We had very strict rules to live by and even in high school I wasn't "allowed" to socialize with my peers in the "world." When I was older and realized how hypocritical and wrong they were, and chose to leave the congregation, everyone I had grown up with, including my parents, were to treat me as if I was dead!  They were not allowed to have regular contact with me and if they saw me on the street they were not to speak to me!! This still is the belief system of Witnesses today, and it's horrible, but I've never seen this addressed anywhere like the media is doing now for these children. I have sometimes severe anxiety and panic attacks due to being raised in this environment, being told that the world was going to end at a certain date and I'd better be ready, etc., being told that God loves me, but don't make him angry or else, etc.  Why not do a show that addresses this "religion" and the abuse of those who choose to leave it, and of other "religions" who do the same??  I feel for these children, but I was subjected to the same treatment and no one seemed to ever care about that.

April 23, 2008, 2:32 pm CDT

The Lost Boys

This is a very serious and controversal issue as we are dealing with the beliefs of other people.  As I hear more and more about this compound and these children I cannot help but think of other children who are in foster care or who should be in foster care.  There are so many more children who are overlooked and forgotten.  In our own communities, small or large, there are children in need.  As we focus on the children in Texas right now, lets not forget to advocate for the children in our own communities.  As we advocate for volunteers to help the children and mothers in Texas, lets not forget to volunteer for the children and families in our own communities.  There has been a tremendous amount of volunteering and assistance for this situation but when this is all over don't forget the other children who are overlooked daily...

April 23, 2008, 2:36 pm CDT

the lost Boys

DR PHIL THE BOYS ARE SO NICE.

THEY HAVE CAME A LONG WAY FOR WHAT THEY ALL HAVE DONE TO THESE BOYS.

DR PHIL THESE BOYS ARE SO LOST AND THEY NEED A LOT OF HELP.

THE CHILDREN NEED SO MUCH HELP. THE WOMEN SHOULD NOT GET THESE KIDS BACK.

AS THEY LET THIS GO ON AND DR PHIL THE KIDS NEED TO BE TAKEN OUT AND NEVER LET BACK TO THE MOTHERS!!!

DR PHIL GET ALL THE FAMILY'S TO HELP THE KIDS.

THIS IS SO BAD TO HAVE THIS GO ON. HOW MANY OF THEM ARE AGAIN SISTERS AND BROTHERS

AND SO ON AND SO FORTH. THESE MOTHERS NEEDS A LOT OF HELP. AND THE KIDS SHOULD NOT BE WITH THE WOMEN. THIS IS SO BAD.

CANT THE LAW PUT THE MEN IN JAIL

THE KIDS THAT ARE HAVING KIDS ARE 13 AND A BIT OLDER WHAT IS EVERYONE THINKING??

IN EVERYDAY LIFE THE PEOPLE THAT WAS DOING THIS WOULD BE IN JAIL!!

COME ON DR PHIL. THEYS MEN AND WOMEN SHOULD BE IN JAIL!!!!

HELP THE KIDS NOT THE SO CALL POOR WOMEN!!

I REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS WOULD BE GOING ON IN OUR USA!!!!

Cinco De Mayo 3  Cinco Dancer

April 23, 2008, 2:45 pm CDT

WELL YOU ARE NOT RIGHT ABOUT THAT

Quote From: conniekin

Big difference!   FLDS and LDS are not the same.

Learn for yourself  check it out 

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/senior-church-leader-appeals-to-media-to-make-distinction

Click on the video

FLDS AND T LDS ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

MY ONE FRIEND GOT OUT BE FOR SHE GOT TOOK!

AND YOU NEED TO REALLY LOOK INSIDE AS THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

SO LOOK BE FOR YOU SAY AS THEY ARE ALL THE SAME DAM THING

April 23, 2008, 2:49 pm CDT

What about the MEN???

It seems to me that the children AND most of the women in this cult were victims. That means there has to be a perpitrator in order for there to be victims. Well, we have seen the children tearfully taken away from their mothers and we have seen the mothers torn apart as they watch their children go from one bad situation to another.  WHAT ABOUT THE MEN??? It seems to me that testosterone driven MEN who have no concern at all except for their own selfish twisted sexual gratification should be singled out and dealt with. WHY IS NO ON HOLDING THESE PERPITRATORS ACCOUNTABLE???  Why don't we see THEM on tv being torn apart by this?  After all, their utopian society of manipulation, abuse and control is about to be blown right out of the water and they stand to lose everything their perverted minds have designed. Then they teach boys to grow up to do the same.  Personally, I would LOVE to see Dr. Phil get his hands on some of these degenerates and rip them a new verbal glutius maximus!! THAT would be at least some sort of vindication for everyone involved.

April 23, 2008, 2:55 pm CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: joyhll

I was glad to hear that Dr. Phil had the answer that seems to be the best solution for all the families involved. The children need to be with their mothers and the fathers that are willing to change and repent of their sins. Its a sad situation and my heart grieves for them all.

Do you honestly think a child molester can just repent of their sins and they will change?    If only it worked that way!

April 23, 2008, 2:56 pm CDT

How How How

I have watched the past two show about the FLDS Compounds.  I feel for these children so much.  I want nothing more then them to be able to be returned to their mothers, but then I wonder if they are returned how do we know that the others will protect them?  Yes, we can educate them but they are so brain washed about how they should live their lives in their religion.  I just feel that those poor children would be exposed to the same neglect and abuse.  I think when you allow a 50-year old male marry any child under the age of 18 (an adult) then that is child abuse.  It is even abuse if you make them marry the man.  Then to bare children on top of that.  They are children themselves.   I know that these woman have pleaded to have their children return, but they sound like robots when they talk in interviews.  Something big has to be done to protect these children.  They do not deserve this!!  There mothers should not want this kind of life for them.

April 23, 2008, 3:00 pm CDT

Quote From: kennyllc

Your reply sounds well and good, and if this is true of the Mormon's and the doctrines that you are aware of then why haven't they also disavowed themselves from Joseph Smith's writings altogether and the historically evil polygamy of Brigham Young?

Why haven't they rejected the Book of Mormon, and Joseph's other writings in favor of the bible alone, while also changing their name to distinguish themselves from the evils of these former polygamists?

Because LDS people believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  They believe that Brigham Young was a prophet of God. Why would they get rid of their writings? That makes no sense.

FLDS people believe Warren Jeffs is a prophet of God. LDS people do not.

"Mormon" is slang for "LDS"....it is NOT slang for "FLDS"....

April 23, 2008, 3:02 pm CDT

Quote From: poppyseed454

FLDS AND T LDS ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

MY ONE FRIEND GOT OUT BE FOR SHE GOT TOOK!

AND YOU NEED TO REALLY LOOK INSIDE AS THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME.

SO LOOK BE FOR YOU SAY AS THEY ARE ALL THE SAME DAM THING

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!!!

I used to be LDS and I am TELLING you they are NOT THE SAME! Your "one friend" is a liar or confused or there is no such person.

YOU need to really "look inside"...these two religions have NOTHING to do with each other and WANT nothing to do with each other.

April 23, 2008, 3:03 pm CDT

Quote From: sallymt3

I'm actually writing after just watching the show today about the FLDS children and what's happening to them, and what has happened during their lives. It just annoys me that this is getting so much attention when there are other "religions" out there that do much the same. I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and of course they don't believe in childhood marriages or polygamy, but much of the rest of the indoctrination is the same. We were taught to think of the rest of the world as the "outside world that was of Satan" and we were to be proud of the fact that we were different and sometimes treated unfairly for our beliefs. We had very strict rules to live by and even in high school I wasn't "allowed" to socialize with my peers in the "world." When I was older and realized how hypocritical and wrong they were, and chose to leave the congregation, everyone I had grown up with, including my parents, were to treat me as if I was dead!  They were not allowed to have regular contact with me and if they saw me on the street they were not to speak to me!! This still is the belief system of Witnesses today, and it's horrible, but I've never seen this addressed anywhere like the media is doing now for these children. I have sometimes severe anxiety and panic attacks due to being raised in this environment, being told that the world was going to end at a certain date and I'd better be ready, etc., being told that God loves me, but don't make him angry or else, etc.  Why not do a show that addresses this "religion" and the abuse of those who choose to leave it, and of other "religions" who do the same??  I feel for these children, but I was subjected to the same treatment and no one seemed to ever care about that.

Oh, yes we do.  I hope you find  peace with your unhappy childhood. 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last