Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 3:05 pm CDT

Not a branch of the Mormon chuch

I just wanted to clarify...Dr. Phil said the FLDS sect was a " renegade" branch of the Mormon (LDS) church. This is not correct. They are not affiliated with the Mormons in any way. The mormons quit practicing polygamy over a hundred years ago and our beliefs are not the same as theirs. This problem is always perpetuated by people who don't have their facts straight. The leaders of our church have made this clear time and time again and this issue keeps coming up. FLDS is not the same as the Mormons. Just FYI.

April 23, 2008, 3:14 pm CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

So, besides everyone being misinformed about the association of the FLDS and the LDS, I think the children need to go back to their mothers and I think the fathers and leaders of the "F" LDS church need to have some accountability for their desctructive actions. The poor women are so brainwashed. This isn't how Christ would have anyone live.

April 23, 2008, 3:16 pm CDT

Quote From: PennyLane78

By "law" they are Mormon...LOL!!!! What does THAT mean? What law? What are you talking about?!

You have just made MY point with THIS post.  People don't like to have themselves associated with sick perverts.

FLDS do NOT call themselves "Mormon"...LDS people DO. These two groups don't WANT to be associated with each other. They are NOT associated with each other. The ONLY thing they have in common is they stem from the same religion 100+ years ago.

So, please, knock it off. No one, NO ONE uses the word "Mormon" to describe these people except those who don't understand the difference. You have been explained the difference. So please, stop it already.

The U.S Gov.  use it to discribe  them, Dr. Phil used it to discribe, So everyone else is wrong you are always right, lol...................... They are branches of the same tree, The Family Tree of the Mormans.

and J. Smith is the seed they both spawned from. as all the other Mormon who practice polygamy and practice Principle, but do not belong to FLDS, or any compound.

stop assuming you know all when you don't.

April 23, 2008, 3:21 pm CDT

FLDS NOT MORMONS

Quote From: drctina

I just wanted to clarify...Dr. Phil said the FLDS sect was a " renegade" branch of the Mormon (LDS) church. This is not correct. They are not affiliated with the Mormons in any way. The mormons quit practicing polygamy over a hundred years ago and our beliefs are not the same as theirs. This problem is always perpetuated by people who don't have their facts straight. The leaders of our church have made this clear time and time again and this issue keeps coming up. FLDS is not the same as the Mormons. Just FYI.
 Please get this straight, Dr. Phil.  FLDS religion is not a renegade from the Mormon religion.  Neither are the Lutherans renegades from the Roman Catholic Church.
Dr. Phil, you do so many good things, and we support you.  In the interest of true factual information, please retract your wrong statement and state very clearly that FLDS is not Mormon (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).

April 23, 2008, 3:23 pm CDT

Because LDS people believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  They believe that Brigham Young was a prophet of God. Why would they get rid of their writings? That makes no sense.

FLDS people believe Warren Jeffs is a prophet of God. LDS people do not.

"Mormon" is slang for "LDS"....it is NOT slang for "FLDS"....

They don't want to get rid of his writting , its the basic of their religion, They just want to rewrite it.

change their embarrassing history, If the Prophet J. Smith is wrong about polygamy, what else was he wrong about, the religion falls. lol

April 23, 2008, 3:29 pm CDT

Quote From: getrealtime

They don't want to get rid of his writting , its the basic of their religion, They just want to rewrite it.

change their embarrassing history, If the Prophet J. Smith is wrong about polygamy, what else was he wrong about, the religion falls. lol

So, your motive is to prove the LDS faith wrong.

Ah, I see.

Well, that isn't what this board is for. Go to the religious debate board.

April 23, 2008, 3:30 pm CDT

FLDS NOT MORMONS

Because LDS people believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  They believe that Brigham Young was a prophet of God. Why would they get rid of their writings? That makes no sense.

FLDS people believe Warren Jeffs is a prophet of God. LDS people do not.

"Mormon" is slang for "LDS"....it is NOT slang for "FLDS"....
Many religions use the same bible.  They believe in the same prophets.  Does that make them the same religion?  NO.  Methodists are not Baptists, although they both believe in the same prophets and bible.  FLDS are not Mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Different churches.

April 23, 2008, 3:34 pm CDT

Lets not lose perspective now

I am so disturbed by the repeated message in  the media, that the best solution is to reunite these kids w/ the mothers, considering they meet certain criteria. Yes, this may be ideal in "normal families", but this is a scary and thoughtless  consideration,  when dealing w/ a sect that exports people from place to place, like livestock.-- Breeders, workers, offspring and LeadersIn the same episode even, the boys mention how one leader is eeasily replaced by  followers and successors. What in God's name, allows anyone to expect the women, when  'DE-programmed, educated, even compliant and cooperative, to retain ultimate control over any decisions --in the long run, once the victims are returned? If they aren't shuffled off to another compound, to be re-programmed ,they will certainly, by that time, have a new leader, to get them back in line. It's only a matter of time. All the branches of this cult would have to be dismantled  and wiped out, before it is safe for a child (or mother) to be returned. They have not offered  to leave the cult! How can anyone be naive enough to think this will change ,when they'll say or do what ever is necessary to get their little (offspring) back? I can't believe they keep saying that, like they're dealing w/ normal  -dysfunctional families.! Are they planning to relocate these mothers and kids outside the compound and set up a new lifestyle in a probationary manner? And lets not forget the emotional distance that has been described time and time again , between the mothers and kids, who aren't even allowed to hug them? Even a foster home would be more nurturing. I  hope someone can answer this.

April 23, 2008, 3:34 pm CDT

Quote From: getrealtime

The U.S Gov.  use it to discribe  them, Dr. Phil used it to discribe, So everyone else is wrong you are always right, lol...................... They are branches of the same tree, The Family Tree of the Mormans.

and J. Smith is the seed they both spawned from. as all the other Mormon who practice polygamy and practice Principle, but do not belong to FLDS, or any compound.

stop assuming you know all when you don't.

I know a hell of a lot more than you. I can at least spell "Mormon" correctly for starters.

I am not defending Mormonism. I am no longer a Mormon, I am an atheist.

Dr Phil did not call these people "Mormons"....sorry, he described them as a renedage branch of Mormonism, which is correct.

And, by this toke, branches of trees, then Muslims and Jews and Christians are all the same religion...why? They all believe in the Abrahamic God.

These two religion have the same roots, HOWEVER calling them all "Mormons" with out any DISTINCTION is like calling a Lion a Tiger.

April 23, 2008, 3:43 pm CDT

It's even more complex than it seems

I feel compelled to write about this.  I have a childhood filled with most of the elements talked about on the last two shows.  It's important to note that on a scale of 1-10, with Eldorado being 10, my experience was maybe a 7.  Pretty much mainstream religion, no provocative polygamy involved.  However, with my "7" experience, I know there is no easy fix.  I know that the children needed to be removed, but I also know these children have to protect their parents and themselves as to what they know to be normal - regardless of how brutal their experiences and those they witnessed at the complex were.  Not to sound elitist, or whatever, but only those of us who grew up under the authority of someone who needed to be God's right hand for deep psychological reasons, can see that there is no happy ending.  The women can't be reparented - they've reconciled long ago the choice they ultimately made to bury themselves and accept.  Otherwise, how could they stay?  How could they continue on?  These women made the choice to stay.  Once that happens, they change.  They are lost to themselves so deeply they aren't able to think.  They don't know they aren't able to think.  They've lost (for good, for the most part) any true understanding of self. To reparent, they would have to acknowledge what they've allowed and what they've done to both themselves and their children.  It would be too much.  Psychologically they can't come back.  At best, they could give lip service, but the heart would never be able to follow.  The shows pointed out rare exceptions of those who got away and they got away because they knew it was wrong.  They couldn't accept.  But the majority stay.  As to the children, obviously there is more hope, eventually.  But the blow of being separated from their parents is something no one, however well meaning, can fix.  Some of the children, who are lucky and for whatever reasons, like the few who reject the brainwashing (for lack of a better word), are able to question more than others, may do well, and it is for them that possibly the abrupt mass taking away of these children from all that they know and being placed into an environment they have absolutely no connection to, believe to be evil, is worth it.  As to the men, they will do well.  God favors them, after all.  And they haven't been negated as the females have.  Their egos, while inflated, are basically intact.

I view this whole situation with a sadness that can't be explained.  Perhaps authorities should have become more informed, from prior cult members, before taking action?  Action needed to be taken and it's commendable, but action should have been accompanied by input and assistance from those who truly understand the emotional and psychological needs of these children.  What good is buying a new pair of shoes if the leg is broken?

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last