Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Number of Replies: 450
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:23:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues to examine the controversial Eldorado, Texas raid where 416 children were removed from an extreme religious sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hear from Eldorado Mayor John Nikolauk, who has presided over the town for 20 years. What are his greatest fears now? Then, Dr. Phil sits down with Franklin and Deloy, two members of the Lost Boys -- young men who leave the polygamous community when they reach the age of puberty. Franklin and Deloy say they had no education past the sixth grade and need help dealing with repressed emotions, especially in the wake of the Eldorado raid. How can they move on with their lives? And, the fate of the 416 children removed from the compound now rests in the hands of lawmakers. Dr. Phil speaks with Gib Walton, President of the Texas state bar and Harper Estes, President Elect of the Texas State Bar to discuss the outcome of the hearings and to sort out custody issues. Plus, find out what you can do to help these children ripped from the only lifestyle they have ever known. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2008, 2:31 pm CDT

04/23 The Lost Boys and the Children of the Compound

Quote From: aurapurple

OK, got that.  You still want to debate the LDS/FLDS issue... I'll bite - a bit.  I lived in So Utah for 4 years, and the mission was to get us converted!  Our kids were treated like crap because they wern't Mormon.  I could go on and on, but I won't.  I have LIVED this, and this articles of faith, and allowing people to worship as they want is a bunch of malarkey in this So. Utah community. (St. George)  I'm not saying ALL LDS are that way, but So Utah is a different world, aboviously!  Colorado City is only 100 miles away.  That's it for my debate.  Still, my question to you - would  your ward receive a suggestion from you that they openly attempt to help the FLDS abused? How do you KNOW it would be offensive to them?  I am not saying your ward  needs to convert them, just help them. 

I don't know for sure that it would be offensive to them. I don't live anywhere near them, but perhaps the wards close to there could ask to assist and help in any way they need. I don't know for sure what exactly they could do, but who knows! It would a way to reach out, and I think that would be great. All churches alike! These people need anyone and everyone at this point.

I am not surprised at the circumstanced you had in ST George. My best friend is from Utah and she is LDS and she moved to OR where I live a few years ago, and she said Utah Mormons are different than most mormons. She said most of them (not ALL of them) are snotty and the "cookie cutter" type and if you aren't that you feel snubbed by them. I am truly sorry that people give the mormons a name like that. I'm sorry you felt you were treated as less, and that especially your children were treated as less. No one deserves that. I'm sure there are wonderful LDS people there, but for some reason it sounds as though there are many who aren't very kind. I hope you will not lump all LDS people with that (it doesn't sound like you are) I hope you will know there are so many loving LDS families that do not judge others because of differing beliefs. :) 

May 1, 2008, 3:51 pm CDT

Quote From: friendlygal

I think it's so wondeful that you believe in God. And I don't look down on you in the least for not choosing to be a part of an organized religion. :)
I go to church, I have children, but that does not mean I am not a free thinker, I know my duties to my children, and they know how i feel, but they need the connection to religion any religion when they are young. and then they can choose their path, I'm Luthern as my son, but he likes the catholic church, he goes to with fridends on wen.  hubbys Baptist daughter is to, we go to both, and it keeps them from converting us to either religion, they understand that we need both, crazy isn't it. but like i said there is no teams, but he is truly in our hearts. thats why i said i had no intentionsto sway you in your religion, its your belief and in the end we believe the same. we believe in him.

May 1, 2008, 4:47 pm CDT

Quote From: getrealtime

I go to church, I have children, but that does not mean I am not a free thinker, I know my duties to my children, and they know how i feel, but they need the connection to religion any religion when they are young. and then they can choose their path, I'm Luthern as my son, but he likes the catholic church, he goes to with fridends on wen.  hubbys Baptist daughter is to, we go to both, and it keeps them from converting us to either religion, they understand that we need both, crazy isn't it. but like i said there is no teams, but he is truly in our hearts. thats why i said i had no intentionsto sway you in your religion, its your belief and in the end we believe the same. we believe in him.
Very true! We have more in common than we realize! :)

May 1, 2008, 6:04 pm CDT

Cool, and Bye.

Quote From: friendlygal

I don't know for sure that it would be offensive to them. I don't live anywhere near them, but perhaps the wards close to there could ask to assist and help in any way they need. I don't know for sure what exactly they could do, but who knows! It would a way to reach out, and I think that would be great. All churches alike! These people need anyone and everyone at this point.

I am not surprised at the circumstanced you had in ST George. My best friend is from Utah and she is LDS and she moved to OR where I live a few years ago, and she said Utah Mormons are different than most mormons. She said most of them (not ALL of them) are snotty and the "cookie cutter" type and if you aren't that you feel snubbed by them. I am truly sorry that people give the mormons a name like that. I'm sorry you felt you were treated as less, and that especially your children were treated as less. No one deserves that. I'm sure there are wonderful LDS people there, but for some reason it sounds as though there are many who aren't very kind. I hope you will not lump all LDS people with that (it doesn't sound like you are) I hope you will know there are so many loving LDS families that do not judge others because of differing beliefs. :) 

Hey Thanks, I appreciate that.  I do know that the LDS in So. Utah are different than the rest of the world.  And I don't judge all Mormons the same - in fact I try not to judge.  It's just my feelings and my family's feelings were hurt, and we were shaken by our experience in St. George.  Lots of Mormons from the outside move there, and they are suprised at the strict and judgemental ways, as you say.  

The fact  is, I am back here in the area where all of this is going on. ( I'm a bit new to message boards other than Oprah's - which is so much faster than this one!  )  I thought I would put my 2 cents in on this issue in Texas, and remind folks that Texas isn't the only place these atrocities are being committed.  What I found here was a heated debate on religion, and I did participate.  It was challenging and interesting.  What I didn't find was anyone who wanted to actually DO something, or discuss doing something.  I'm sure they are out there, but not making themselves known to me.  You at least were willing to make an attempt and I have respect for that! 

I had an earlier post, and referenced www.azfamily.com  click on The Polygamous diaries.  There's a reporter named Mike Watkiss who has been instrumental in bringing Warren Jeffs to trial, and shedding light on this cult.  I hope people will go to the site and watch it.  Me, I am jumping off this board and back to my studies of  A NEW Earth with Oprah, and Ekhart Tolle.  I am also going to see what I can do here, to help the folks of Colorado City and Hildale, AZ.  I am not religious really, I am a student of all prophets - Jesus being my number 1!  So, again Thanks and Blessings to you and yours. :)

May 1, 2008, 6:18 pm CDT

Quote From: aurapurple

Hey Thanks, I appreciate that.  I do know that the LDS in So. Utah are different than the rest of the world.  And I don't judge all Mormons the same - in fact I try not to judge.  It's just my feelings and my family's feelings were hurt, and we were shaken by our experience in St. George.  Lots of Mormons from the outside move there, and they are suprised at the strict and judgemental ways, as you say.  

The fact  is, I am back here in the area where all of this is going on. ( I'm a bit new to message boards other than Oprah's - which is so much faster than this one!  )  I thought I would put my 2 cents in on this issue in Texas, and remind folks that Texas isn't the only place these atrocities are being committed.  What I found here was a heated debate on religion, and I did participate.  It was challenging and interesting.  What I didn't find was anyone who wanted to actually DO something, or discuss doing something.  I'm sure they are out there, but not making themselves known to me.  You at least were willing to make an attempt and I have respect for that! 

I had an earlier post, and referenced www.azfamily.com  click on The Polygamous diaries.  There's a reporter named Mike Watkiss who has been instrumental in bringing Warren Jeffs to trial, and shedding light on this cult.  I hope people will go to the site and watch it.  Me, I am jumping off this board and back to my studies of  A NEW Earth with Oprah, and Ekhart Tolle.  I am also going to see what I can do here, to help the folks of Colorado City and Hildale, AZ.  I am not religious really, I am a student of all prophets - Jesus being my number 1!  So, again Thanks and Blessings to you and yours. :)

Thanks  you so much! :)

May 1, 2008, 9:12 pm CDT

CHILDREN FROM TEXAS (FLDS)

I grew up in one of the families that went to the colony in bountiful, B. C.

I saw alot and thank heavens I ran away before I could be placed.

I heard today that they found one canadian child in the group that was taken from

the compound in Texas. Was the DNA taken from Winston Blackmore.

If it was then there are probably more children or women there from Canada

The main families from the group in B. C. were the Palmers, Olers, Gallups

and Blackmores.

Winstons first wife was the granddaughter of Le Roy Gallup (his daughter was JoAnn

the first wife of Oler) His next three wifes were the 3 daughters of LeRoy Gallup from his second wife.

DNA should be taken from each of these families. I understand that one of Winstons children from his

first wife (my cousin) went missing when she was placed to one of the men in the states.

I just finished reading the book "Escape" and was just floored. He father Arthur Blackmore (who was adopted by Harold Blackmore) was very special to me when I was 12 yrs old.

when we were going to B. C. for the conferences.

May 1, 2008, 9:18 pm CDT

FLDS

I don't think any different about your religion then I think of any other religion, they all have the hand of man in it,  and man is not perfect, 

I was asked one time, why do you believe in God,  I just do!! I feel it, I don't know why, I just do.

faith is like that. do I believe in one church, No. I don't think God is up there making teams to pit eachother against on a sunday night. and is rooting for one team. I think we will all be judged  one by one, and do we believe. no church will be seen as a hole. but I could be wrong.

FLDS and the LDS were a great part of my life

No where in the teachings of Joseph Smith did he say to take

children as wifes.

Children were very precious to him and to the church.

Taking children and using them as a excuse is no excuse to their actions in religion.

When jesus preached on the mountain he said this is my church

he did not say one church is the true church just to believe in him, his father and the holy spirit.

To judge a person by their church is against all his teachings.

May 1, 2008, 9:26 pm CDT

FLDS

Quote From: housewife52

When there is a report of child abuse, they remove ALL of the children from the home. There has been a report of child abuse at this compound, so ALL the children were removed for thier own safety.This had to be done on a large scale because there were so many children. The ones who were breast fed will be fed in some other way. I think the government certainly had the best interest of the children in mind. CPS followed the rules. There was just no other way to do this.

Why in heavens name would you say the mothers were the best caregivers.

They are taught not to bond with their children. The mothers know that when the girl reaches 10-12

that they will be taken and placed with a man in his 50s and older.

They are to disconnect with the girls and the girls are to be taught that their purpose in life is

to bear children and to have absolute obey to the man they are to be placed with.

Their was/and is very little attachment even with the male child.

Do you even know how man of these 14 and up male children are kicked out of the family/

group and left on their own in the world with no idea how to survive. They are all taught at a young age

to distrust society and that their lives depend on their obeying the leaders every whim.

Do you think if is o.k. for those old men to rape 10-12 year old girls in the name of religion.

We don't allow it in society we call that rape or abuse.

May 1, 2008, 9:30 pm CDT

FLDS

I don't think any different about your religion then I think of any other religion, they all have the hand of man in it,  and man is not perfect, 

I was asked one time, why do you believe in God,  I just do!! I feel it, I don't know why, I just do.

faith is like that. do I believe in one church, No. I don't think God is up there making teams to pit eachother against on a sunday night. and is rooting for one team. I think we will all be judged  one by one, and do we believe. no church will be seen as a hole. but I could be wrong.

children as wifes.

Taking children and using them as a excuse is no excuse to their actions in religion.

he did not say one church is the true church just to believe in him, his father and the holy spirit.

May 2, 2008, 6:03 am CDT

Quote From: sfgallup

children as wifes.

your right, about the moutain and jesus saying this is my church, they say there is another book about jesuses preaching, where it says do not build no walls for I am not there, that I am bound by no walls, and something like, if they build the walls tear them down. I was watching a show on the history channel. I think it was the Catholic hiding the books its being debated and look at , but its been over a year sence I watch it, so don't quote me.

you where a member of the FLDS? where.  if you want to talk about it, if not thats fine too, many other things to yak about.

First | Prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Next | Last