Message Boards

Topic : 04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Number of Replies: 375
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:25:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
What if you found out that your own child was molesting other children? Sherie-Lynn says her 12-year-old son, Parker, has been acting out sexually since he was 4 years old. She always suspected that he had been molested, and now that he’s been expelled from school for violent behavior and inappropriate sexual conduct with another student, she’s confronting her family’s dirty secret. Could Sherie-Lynn’s father, Al, whom she claims molested her as a child, have violated her son? And what does Sherie-Lynn’s mother, Elaine, say she witnessed? As Sherie-Lynn faces her painful past, will her father give her the answers she’s looking for? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 23, 2008, 8:20 pm CDT

04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Quote From: luka1978nl

I see alot of people who haven't experienced sexual abuse in the family think the reaction to this sort of violation is simple: educate children about abuse, confront the abuser, throw him/her/them in jail etc. But it is not this simple and only people who have experienced incest in the family know this.

I was educated about sexual abuse by my parents, yet I didn't report the abuse that was going on. I dissociated almost everything and concerning the things I did remember, I was ashamed, felt guilty and was afraid. And I was loyal to my family, yes, to my abuser.

My parents thought everything was fine, but my older brother abused my younger brother in the meantime. My younger brother only told my parents and me of the abuse when he was in his 20's. He was frightened, felt guilty and ashamed.

My grandfather (now deceased) abused my two aunts (his daughters), and although my parents knew this, they let me sleep there anyhow. Why? They thought my grandmother would keep her eyes open, they thought he was old, they didn't know the mind of an incest perp.

You think it's easy to throw the perps in jail? No way! It's very traumatic for your child to say everything about the abuse (s)he experienced, hear the abuser and his/her lawyer say that it didn't happen and finally to hear the perp being let free because of lack of evidence. 

Please, don't judge so quickly!

THANK you!! I agree with you 110%. Although I do agree with others and all child molesters NEED to be behind bars, it's hard for a child (like I was) to actually explain everything .. I was already broken.. but at the time I didn't realize it. I only knew what was going on was not right and I needed to tell someone but he was never turned in because they left the decision up to me (a 13 yr old at the time) to take him to jail. I lived in a different state and only visited them in summer time...my family back home didn't know what was going on and I was told to keep it on the downlow EVEN after I told my abusers wife (my stepgrandma) and his daughter (my stepmom). It's scary because now I think about it, this man has 3 sons which are all grown and they have children of their own.. they also have all sons but they are little .. I hope and pray everynight that they aren't going thru what I did and if they are, it's all my fault. It's hard to live with it. :[

April 24, 2008, 6:44 am CDT

Once a preditor...

Always a preditor!!  This man seems to be proud of himself for his discusting actions!! I don't believe one word that comes out of that nasty mouth of his!  I won't say what  I think should be done with people like him because that is up to god, but that doesn't make me feel any less angry. I also blame his wife just as much for not just staying with the monster, but for not protecting her child. There is NO EXCUSE for not protecting your child!! And I wish Dr. Phil would wipe that smile off his face!! I know the test results are not back yet, but HE DID IT!! I know it!!  Once a monster, always a monster!! I was molested too, but thank god not by a family member. But, it still cuts as deep and it can ruin your life!! If I could only confront my molester, all the security staff in the world would never be able to hold me back! Good luck on judgement day you miserable SOB! My prayers go out to this poor woman and her son.

April 24, 2008, 7:10 am CDT

04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Quote From: shadycat1

Okay, one question.
If the Mother KNEW her father was capable of doing this, then why would she allow her child around him ?
Okay that's the only thing about that.
Exactly.

April 24, 2008, 7:24 am CDT

Bravo!!

Quote From: sllynn

I am amazed at how many comments have been made so far on a show that has yet to air.  How quickly people are to judge......to assume that I never sought out help for my son before this point......to go so far as to call me a monster.

The truth of the matter is that I had no recollection of my own abuse until 6 years ago.....at which time I did cut the ties with my father.......unfortunately the damage had already been done.

As far as reaching out for help.......I exhausted every resource I could find in my area.  My son has been seeing counsellors, therapists, and psychiatrists since he was in grade one.  We tried group therapy and even had numerous appointments with the principle of the school he was attending at the time.

Turning to the Dr Phil show was simply one more effort on my part to seek out more help.......help that I had been seeking for the past 6 years. 

It is sad that the level of understanding is as such.......there are so many agencies out there that help people with addiction, anger management, domestic abuse and so forth.......however when it comes to sexual abuse I have found it more difficult to find the help required......especially for a child.  If you look into some of the amazing programs for children like I have, one of the things that they make very clear is that they will help your child so long as he or she hasn't acted out in unacceptable sexual ways......

I recently had an invitation to enroll my son in such a program but after sending in the application, I was told they don't accept a child who has a sexual history such as my sons.

Along with seeking out help, I also have been to the police.  I have filled out a written statement as well as a video interview........no action has been taken on the part of the authorities.  I continue to feel like I keep hitting a brick wall.....however, that has not stopped my quest for help, healing and justice.

When the shows are aired this week, I hope that people will be able to come away more educated and with more understanding rather than accusations, anger, and finger pointing.

Not one of us can really know exactly what we would do if we were in someone else's shoes until we actually walk in them.

You are a very brave woman for confronting your sperm donor the way you did.  I 100% agree with your post about all judgements.  If you notice (even in recent posts on stories) all people do is finger point.  They think they have all solutions to every problem and they are all right.  I give you much kudos Sherie-lynn!!!

April 24, 2008, 8:02 am CDT

What a sad story

This show is a really hard show for me today. I was not even sure if I was even going to watch it. I am very angry at the mother and the grandmother. The grandmother is very selfish in my opinion. She didn't want to lose anything because of what her husband did?? That is crazy. What kind of parent is she and what is she showing her own daughter? No wonder the mother let Parker go and spend time with her father, even sleeping with him.

I am a mother of 4 children. Three boys and a girl. My 16 year old son had his trial on Friday and now is a  registered Juvenile Sex Offender. The victims? My two younger sons, 6 and 4 years old. It has been a tragedy. My oldest son at one time had to go live with his father due to his actions. Sadly, his father died and he returned to my home.

I have done everything to help my sons. At my first knowledge of the offense I alerted the authorities. I alerted CPS. He was put in counseling and everything. That was over three years ago. It has truly been a trial. My oldest son is now in temporary custody of the county. He is in a residential treatment center and has been since July 2007. He is making progress but it is hard to be on bothe sides of the fence at the same time.

On Friday I had to testify against my oldest son. It was very hard but also the right and best thing to do for my other children and possibly for others in the community.

I love my children unconditionally, all of them. I will do anything to protect my children. It is just so sad to me and really sickens me to think that someone would not do anything that they could to protect their children or even other children.

Maybe it is because our tragedy is so fresh in my mind, but I just am disgusted by what I have been watching today. I don't even have enough space to write enough of what I really would like to say so I'll leave it at this. However, I do have one more thing to say............................

WHERE ARE THE RESOURCES THAT FAMILIES LIKE MINE REALLY NEED??? PEOPLE SAY THEY WANT TO HELP. WHERE ARE THE SUPPORT GROUPS? WHERE ARE THEY???

REALLY, WHERE IS THE HELP???

April 24, 2008, 8:03 am CDT

What happened to me

What happened to me will it happen again?

Will another girl feel the pain that I’m in?

If I could just know the answer to that

I could either takes steps, or try and forget

But the thought of the wrong, and the damage it would cause

Should it happen again, I would say oh my God

What should I do, what should I do

It is happens again, I’ll be the fool

If it happens again, I’ll be the fool.

He said it was over, it won’t happen again

But just watch the news, they snap at a whim

I begged him to stop, I cried and I lied.

He said he would hurt my family, if I ever told why

Now it’s my fault, I should have told someone

What if I stirred him up, and he’s a loaded gun.

It is happens again, ill be the fool

I try and stay strong, I try not to think

I write in my journal and read self help books

But that seed of doubt, comes back so strong

Why would he commit such a horrible wrong?  

It is happens again, I’ll be the fool

April 24, 2008, 8:04 am CDT

Is He Going to Jail

I'm just wondering if it comes out that this man did molest his grandson is the Dr. Phil show going to take the steps to get him arrested.

April 24, 2008, 8:08 am CDT

04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Quote From: wardjunefan

Always a preditor!!  This man seems to be proud of himself for his discusting actions!! I don't believe one word that comes out of that nasty mouth of his!  I won't say what  I think should be done with people like him because that is up to god, but that doesn't make me feel any less angry. I also blame his wife just as much for not just staying with the monster, but for not protecting her child. There is NO EXCUSE for not protecting your child!! And I wish Dr. Phil would wipe that smile off his face!! I know the test results are not back yet, but HE DID IT!! I know it!!  Once a monster, always a monster!! I was molested too, but thank god not by a family member. But, it still cuts as deep and it can ruin your life!! If I could only confront my molester, all the security staff in the world would never be able to hold me back! Good luck on judgement day you miserable SOB! My prayers go out to this poor woman and her son.
Yes ma'am I agree totally. Once a Predator always one. I know he did that and he knows he did that. One while I was begining to think that she was making all of it up, but then again it all fell into place. When he touched her when she wads a baby he had those thoughts. He needs to be hung, I can't see it. So terribel.

April 24, 2008, 8:15 am CDT

OMG why???

OMG I want to just through the tv and slap that smile off his face. The clapping and smiling why Dr Phil haven't you called him on the fact that he's been smiling and clapping through out the todays taping???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I can't believe that the girls mom just sits there and knowing her daughter was molested by her husband. I would have kick his Ass out then and there the first time so she wouldn't have to worry about it happening again and again over the years. Please Dr Phil slap the crap out of him and tell him he can quit with the smiling and clapping. That just shows he guilty and he knows that it want go know further than the show.

April 24, 2008, 8:16 am CDT

What a sad story

I would just like to say. Maybe I did start to post my comment a little early. So if Sherie Lynn did not remember her abuse until 6 years ago then it is understandable why she allowed Parker to have contact with her father.

However, her mother knew at least about the attempted abuse when Sherie Lynn was two weeks old. Her actions are unacceptable. She had the opportunity to stop the cycle of abuse and did nothing. she allowed it to continue.

She had a chance to save Parker, to help him. WHY WOULD SHE NOT?

HOW SAD.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last