Message Boards

Topic : 04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Number of Replies: 375
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 18, 2008, 03:25:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
What if you found out that your own child was molesting other children? Sherie-Lynn says her 12-year-old son, Parker, has been acting out sexually since he was 4 years old. She always suspected that he had been molested, and now that he’s been expelled from school for violent behavior and inappropriate sexual conduct with another student, she’s confronting her family’s dirty secret. Could Sherie-Lynn’s father, Al, whom she claims molested her as a child, have violated her son? And what does Sherie-Lynn’s mother, Elaine, say she witnessed? As Sherie-Lynn faces her painful past, will her father give her the answers she’s looking for? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 24, 2008, 8:24 am CDT

in disbelief

I am so disturbed by Sherie-Lyns mom and her reaction to all of this on the show.  The way she is making herself sound is that it was just part of everyday life.  She had first hand knowledge of everything that was going on.  The very first time that Al touched his daughter, should have been the very last.  Why didn't her mother leave Al?  Saying that you had nowhere else to go is a bunch of bull.  There are plenty of places you could have gone.  Your first priority as a parent an a mother is to make sure that your children are safe, no matter what.  Why didn't you call the police?  Kick him out?

Sherie-Lyn should have done all she could to protect her own son from this monster.  If your parent has no regard for you as a child and a human being and could hurt you in the most painful way,  chances are they are going to do the same thing to your children.  You owe it to your child(ren) to never let him around them.  As parents we need to do whatever it takes to protect our babies.    These mothers are just as guilty as Al is and should also be punished.

April 24, 2008, 8:39 am CDT

04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Thanx Sheri Lyn for clearing that up (about your letting your son stay with your parents, because you didn't remember the abuse until recently).  I'm sorry but I too pointed the finger at you.  All you can do is what you're doing now.  Not letting your son in the program for victims makes sense though.  He can't be around other children because he my revictimize them.  Surely you understand this.  You son needs to go to private therapy where there are NO children, which will honestly only be a distraction and temptation for him. Would you go to a bar to quit drinking?  That would be setting him up for certain failure Sheri.

My brother begged me to have sex with him when I was 37yrs old. Yes you read the number correctly.  It came so far out of left field.  We were very close growing up, but I hadn't see him in years, (he lived in another state), but when I did he was able to dehumanize me enough to forget I was his sister and make his move.  We were completely alone, I realized I didn't even know this man, I feared he would rape me. Thankfully he passed out.  The next night I lost it  and completely raged at him.  He said he didn't know why he did it.  He did though, he knew.  He molested my sister when she was a toddler and he a teenager.  Once is the only time my sister remembers she said.  For a year I pretended it never happened, then I told my sister I'd decided to cut him out of my life completely  She said she would too.  I wrote him a letter saying he was dead to me and to not even answer the letter I wrote to him.  I told him to comply or else I would write a letter to his wife as well.  He also has two children who I believe he has molested,but I can't prove it.They acted out sexually when they were very young.  My brother also tried to get my sisters husband to have sex with him (I found out later).  My brother is a sexual deviant, who knows no boundries and has no preferance.  My mother lives in a state of denial.  She frenquently brought up my brother in front of my sister and I.  Going on about his (lame) acalades to our HUSBANDS!!!  Which pissed them both off.  I finally told her, if she ever brought up his name ever again in front of us or to my niece, she would find herself in the same lonely boat as my brother.  Thankfully, she believed I would make that happen, because she has not mentioned him since.

Stand up for yourselves people.  You do not need blood relatives in your lives to make you whole or happy.   Unfortunately they are the ones that tend to either blame us and/or revictimize us. 

April 24, 2008, 9:16 am CDT

A Family In Touble

First please allow me to say that my heart truly goes out to this family, certainly the victims! Its ashame no one knows just where to start .Watching the show, I found myself watching with a clutch fist angry of course but at who? Now I know, its easy to sit back and point fingers at everyone the farther, the mother, even the daughter.....but enough of the "BLAME-GAME"!!!! I think its time to put an end to that cancer that has plague this family for so long! Its obvious that more than sexual abuse was occurring in the house hold, verbal and most likely the mental abuse all played apart in that household. Again refraining from being accusatory,  I don't understand why would the daughter even allow her son to spend that quality time with her farther? I do understand their were a period of time she was in distress and need to get on her feet but ,I see where it makes no  sense to put him in that environment, knowing what her dad had done to her. Although she and her mom has been estranged i just don't get it, knowing no one has gotten the help and treatment they so deserve (THE WHOLE FAMILY)! Well I'm ever so please to know that the family now has GOD in their hearts and he(GOD) lives in the household, I would like to thanks this family for the courage they have displayed by airing their laundry on national TV.....I also pray that all parties involved get the help they need and knowing more families are suffering from the same exact dilemma's! God Bless This Family!!!

April 24, 2008, 9:28 am CDT

so sorry!!

Quote From: fergusonhm

This show is a really hard show for me today. I was not even sure if I was even going to watch it. I am very angry at the mother and the grandmother. The grandmother is very selfish in my opinion. She didn't want to lose anything because of what her husband did?? That is crazy. What kind of parent is she and what is she showing her own daughter? No wonder the mother let Parker go and spend time with her father, even sleeping with him.

I am a mother of 4 children. Three boys and a girl. My 16 year old son had his trial on Friday and now is a  registered Juvenile Sex Offender. The victims? My two younger sons, 6 and 4 years old. It has been a tragedy. My oldest son at one time had to go live with his father due to his actions. Sadly, his father died and he returned to my home.

I have done everything to help my sons. At my first knowledge of the offense I alerted the authorities. I alerted CPS. He was put in counseling and everything. That was over three years ago. It has truly been a trial. My oldest son is now in temporary custody of the county. He is in a residential treatment center and has been since July 2007. He is making progress but it is hard to be on bothe sides of the fence at the same time.

On Friday I had to testify against my oldest son. It was very hard but also the right and best thing to do for my other children and possibly for others in the community.

I love my children unconditionally, all of them. I will do anything to protect my children. It is just so sad to me and really sickens me to think that someone would not do anything that they could to protect their children or even other children.

Maybe it is because our tragedy is so fresh in my mind, but I just am disgusted by what I have been watching today. I don't even have enough space to write enough of what I really would like to say so I'll leave it at this. However, I do have one more thing to say............................

WHERE ARE THE RESOURCES THAT FAMILIES LIKE MINE REALLY NEED??? PEOPLE SAY THEY WANT TO HELP. WHERE ARE THE SUPPORT GROUPS? WHERE ARE THEY???

REALLY, WHERE IS THE HELP???

Reading your board has brought me to tears, knowing a mother only wants whats best for her kids in life....and having to testify against a child is like the actual offense....not knowing in that child's mind sit resentment......however you should be commended because as much pain as you feel now, would be no comparison to what you would feel later had you did nothing!!!! Sorry to hear of your son's dad lost.....but where did his abuse originated from? Was treatment ever sought after at that point? As a farther of two (Single Parent) tell me is the system that screwed up?

April 24, 2008, 9:28 am CDT

04/24 A Boy in Trouble

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, the user pic says it all.

April 24, 2008, 9:50 am CDT

04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Quote From: reidsbaby

OMG I want to just through the tv and slap that smile off his face. The clapping and smiling why Dr Phil haven't you called him on the fact that he's been smiling and clapping through out the todays taping???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I can't believe that the girls mom just sits there and knowing her daughter was molested by her husband. I would have kick his Ass out then and there the first time so she wouldn't have to worry about it happening again and again over the years. Please Dr Phil slap the crap out of him and tell him he can quit with the smiling and clapping. That just shows he guilty and he knows that it want go know further than the show.

i too thought he smiled a bit too much, i just figure maybe hes one of those people who naturally want to smile at the cameras, i know people cant understand how mom could do nothing to save her child i too have a hard time with that, BUTTTTT we all have to keep in mind all this happened possibly close to 30 years ago , not really much help was out there for families with this kind of a situation, and people were raised and taught to not speak of a family problem as it was not the publics business to know, for people feared they would be looked upon as TRASH, not a fair way the world would see a child who just got raped by her dad!!! people kept quiet thinking it was the only way to save the child from farther reticule. i had to leave the room many times just to keep my heart from falling to all the evil thoughts about that guy i had going through my head as i watched, AND THANK YOU GOD FOR COMMERCIALS. i needed every one of those breaks. wow, i bet dr phil had to take many time outs with this dude, lol we also must keep in mind that it takes one hell of a person who would try to overcome such a problem all on there own. personaly i say to hell with smilie,  dr phil will focus on the child and help him. and his mother, it probley would be a waste of time and money to worry about the boys grandmah and grandpaw, there kind of set in there ways and seem to be content in the way things are [sobeit.]

April 24, 2008, 9:59 am CDT

What a sad story

Quote From: nccharman

Reading your board has brought me to tears, knowing a mother only wants whats best for her kids in life....and having to testify against a child is like the actual offense....not knowing in that child's mind sit resentment......however you should be commended because as much pain as you feel now, would be no comparison to what you would feel later had you did nothing!!!! Sorry to hear of your son's dad lost.....but where did his abuse originated from? Was treatment ever sought after at that point? As a farther of two (Single Parent) tell me is the system that screwed up?

First, I appreciate your response. Actually I found out of my sons abuse when he was 6. He had been living with his father in Illinois and his father had a girlfriend with a 10 year old son who had done some things to my son at night while they had shared a bedroom.

I did confront my ex-husband and he denied that anything had happened. Although he did admit that while my ex-husband and my son lived in Arizona for a short time that the neighbor had sodomized my son with a broom handle. I was never told about it until my son started acting out himself.

Of course, I immediatly called CPS and had my son examined. He has been in counseling pretty much since he was 6 years old with only brief periods of not attending counseling in between.

Needless to say it has been a long and rocky road. But we are surviving. It has been a nightmare and I just really wish that people would wake up and help to stop the vicious cycle of abuse.

And YES the system IS that screwed up.

April 24, 2008, 10:01 am CDT

What a sad story

Quote From: nccharman

First, I appreciate your response. Actually I found out of my sons abuse when he was 6. He had been living with his father in Illinois and his father had a girlfriend with a 10 year old son who had done some things to my son at night while they had shared a bedroom.

I did confront my ex-husband and he denied that anything had happened. Although he did admit that while my ex-husband and my son lived in Arizona for a short time that the neighbor had sodomized my son with a broom handle. I was never told about it until my son started acting out himself.

Of course, I immediatly called CPS and had my son examined. He has been in counseling pretty much since he was 6 years old with only brief periods of not attending counseling in between.

Needless to say it has been a long and rocky road. But we are surviving. It has been a nightmare and I just really wish that people would wake up and help to stop the vicious cycle of abuse.

And YES the system IS that screwed up.

April 24, 2008, 10:15 am CDT

04/24 A Boy in Trouble

Quote From: shadycat1

Okay, one question.
If the Mother KNEW her father was capable of doing this, then why would she allow her child around him ?
Okay that's the only thing about that.

I agree she is too blame big time here. How dare she leave her son with him.  She handled her son over to someone she knew would do things. Shame on her!!!!

April 24, 2008, 10:21 am CDT

What a Pig....

I cannot believe that smug smile on his face. I'd like to wipe that smile off his face with a 2 by 4. I would press charges against him as soon as I could speak to the Prosecuting Attorney. My question is what the HE** did the mother do after suspecting abuse. The answer, NOTHING. Shame on her. She should be brought up on charges as well. At this point, all Sheri-Lynn can do is get help for her child, ASAP. And try to move on without both of her sicko parents.....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last