Message Boards

Topic : 08/04 Daddy Drama

Number of Replies: 1404
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:00:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/29/08) Christina, 21, and her younger sister, Carlie, 13, say they had a close relationship with their father, Michael, until two years ago when he decided to transition to a female. Michael was a police officer, soldier and loving parent who lived his life as a male for 40 years. Now, he wants his daughters to call him Mom, because he says Dad is gone, but they refuse. Michael, who prefers to be called Kayla, says she wants to explain to her daughters why she's living as a woman, but they've never given her the chance. The last time Christina saw her father was two years ago when he showed up at her work in lace and blue jeans to break the news that he's transgendered. When she sees Kayla onstage, does she greet her with open arms? Next, Carlie joins her sister and father. She says she wants her old dad back, but will she feel the same after seeing Kayla? Can the father-daughter bond be turned into a mother-daughter one? Be prepared for an emotional journey as two daughters  struggle to understand how someone they say loved so much could hurt them so badly. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 27, 2008, 10:52 pm CDT

i forgot leah

Quote From: mimaof2brats1

i have 2 kids a daughter 25 and son 18  i love them very much and they would understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2008, 3:53 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

he shows up at her work dressed in lace and Jeans and just announces he's transgendered, how humiliating for her, it might be more mainstream nowadays, but that dosen't mean EVERYONE is open minded about it, seriously, the taunts and jokes that would go on behind her back, some would be brazen enough to do it to her face.
Okay, he should be able to be happy, I won't argue that, and if he's always been a woman in a man's body, then yes he has the right to change that if he feels he has to, but I think the way he went about it was wrong, this is something that should've been discussed long before.

April 28, 2008, 7:49 am CDT

Thank you tinhil2000

Quote From: tinhil2000

This dad must have agonized all these years about his sexual orientation, especially as an ex cop where machismo and tough- guy image is everything, so I sympathize with him about the difficultly  he is facing with his daughters' inability to accept his new sexual identity. However expecting them to call him/her mom is definitely premature; he needs to give them time to absorb and understand the complexity of this issue and to continue to reassure them that his love for them is still and always the same. He should also understand that what their daughters feel, beside the embarrassment, confusion and anger, is the loss of the only father they have ever known. I'm sure Dr Phil will offer this family the kind of help they all need to be a family again.

I believe that you can see both sides of the coin.  I have responded to you only because I have decided to respond from the positive people instead of the silly and one sided comments that I see on the message boards.  I know Michael personally and found him to be extremely selfish and self centered.  He may have had issues in the past but as always he never thinks things through.  He acts and reacts by the seat of his pants and uses his emotions to guide him.  I do not know him as Kayla but what I am seeing, he still has the same attributes.  Female, Male, what is the difference??  He continues to manipulate the people around him.  He tries to get everyone to see the world through his eyes and make them understand his way of thinking.

The girls have had a roller coaster ride relationship with him all along.  They are not able to express their feelings to him because of the emotions that they are feeling right now.  Michael has not sought any counseling because he states all therapists are quacks.  The girls are going through the 12 steps of grief.  They are at the acceptance stage and need more time and lots of therapy.   I would hope that people on the message boards would give insight to their own experiences (if any) and be encouraging to them due to the fact that they are so young and impressionable.

April 28, 2008, 9:01 am CDT

A ROSE IS A ROSE IS A ROSE

It is always concerning when a parent or parents consider their own needs above their child/children's needs.

The dictionary defines dad/daddy as a name for a child's father . FATHER  IS DEFINED AS ; a male parent, fatherhood.

MAN IS DEFINED AS AN ADULT HUMAN MALE.

FEMALE IS DEFINED AS ONE ;( the sex which bears offspring, relating to this sex or to women.)

PARENT IS DEFINED AS FATHER OR MOTHER, MALE OR FEMALE.

Michael is a very strong name with strong reference. It is difficult to understand, that these young ladies have had a daddy for years and are expected to call him mommy now?

No judgement on Michael, his life is his life, he for his own reasons chooses to appear to be female, whatever.

How can his daughters see him as a woman, when in their memory banks daddy was father and male.

Like it or not, there is a reason why children need a male and female as parents, you can paint over a stop sign on a street, it is still a stop sign.

Michael chooses to be no more,  this is his choice, why do his children have to see their daddy as a Kayla?  I believe Michael is their dad and always will be, Kayla is another entity.

Hope one day they can understand the reason why daddy had to leave. Maybe find a friend in Kayla, she is not daddy nor ever can be. 

April 28, 2008, 4:36 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

my heart goes out to this family but if he wants to be a woman now well i think its ok hell he already tried being a man if he is happer and at peace with him-opps-her self now well thats good the only thing i think he did wrong was showing up at his-opps her daughters place of employment dressed like a woman, he should have called first to make sure the girl knew ahead of time what had happened to him-her, i think his daughter probley thought her dad was in drag, i bet she was in total shock, if his-her sergon was any good i bet he can pass himself off as a real woman,at least some poor guy in a bar wont get a big supprise when he gets her home  lol, i got a few friends that that has happened to  in my younger days  lol we still laugh about that to this day, but the guy was pretty hell he was better looking than most of the real women in the bar, my dad always said all the girls look good at closing time i just never knew just how true those words really were  lol, i cant wait to see this show.dr phil you have one hell of a good show line up i got to tell you, i will be glued to the set this month for sure. i do however hope this family finds peace with one another, what that guy did took guts, i saw on the news a few years ago whear a woman did that type of sergury to her husband with a damn steak knife, he wasnt as lucky as this guy tho they found his and reatached it for him.double ouch, if that were me in his shoues i think i would have asked for hormoan shots to make me look more like a woman, hell his wife already did half the job.

April 28, 2008, 6:02 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Dr Phil i was watching Oprah today and b4 the show Oprah said she was going to have that pregnant man on the show again today, and thear was a question she was going to ask him one she forgot to ask him on her show when he was on it before, i thought my e-s-p was working real good i just knew i knew what she was gunna ask him, boy oh boy did my e-s-p fail me today,she asked him were those his own eggs, i was speechless, i thought she was going to ask him just how in the hell he got pregnant in the first place, thats what i wanted to know,apparently Oprah did not think about that question, he was not good looking enough for no one i know to have gotten him in that situation, even drunk!!! i cant wait to see how the guy on this show looks like if his surgeons did a good job maybe you could get the surgeons to agree to contact Oprah and get that poor man to come see them, i know thear are really gifted surgeons out thear that could improve on him, that guy complained about his breast not growing but he said his nipples did something,what ever in the hell he meant by that i have no clue, i think its so nice that a man can become a woman this day and time that will let them see what a woman goes through when they are up town and man look stare and whistle at them, maybe make them show women more respect. i wonder if you can try out being a woman and if you decide you do not like being a woman go back and get a refund? i think if that were possible more men would try that out, any way good luck to the ill just call this one a new woman. hope its refundable if he don't like it.

April 28, 2008, 6:50 pm CDT

mima, be angry at dad

Quote From: mimaof2brats1

come on girls grow up let your father go on with his life with or without you its his choice

and dad how can you do this to your daughters ???? you were a police officer for crying out loud dont you have any self respect for yourself??? have you always been like this ???? why wait this long ?? why didnt you do this along time ago before you got married or had children why make them suffer

i think you took the cowards way out  shame on you

mima,

How can anyone expect these two girls to react to this man in any other way than shock.  He showed up at the oldest one's work in drag and called the youngest one on her 12th birthday and told her during that phone call.  I believe that the girls are tired of dealing with his drama.  The show isn't able to show all of the drama that these two girls have gone through.  This latest drama is the most outlandish. 

I wish everyone didn't expect a 21 year old and a 13 year old to act better than the dad.  They are trying so hard to deal with it.  Isn't it obvious that the dad doesn't care what they think anyway??  How much emotion do you see from the dad versus the emotion that you see from the daughters.  Think about that.

April 28, 2008, 7:06 pm CDT

I agree with you

Quote From: deloreshiles

It is always concerning when a parent or parents consider their own needs above their child/children's needs.

The dictionary defines dad/daddy as a name for a child's father . FATHER  IS DEFINED AS ; a male parent, fatherhood.

MAN IS DEFINED AS AN ADULT HUMAN MALE.

FEMALE IS DEFINED AS ONE ;( the sex which bears offspring, relating to this sex or to women.)

PARENT IS DEFINED AS FATHER OR MOTHER, MALE OR FEMALE.

Michael is a very strong name with strong reference. It is difficult to understand, that these young ladies have had a daddy for years and are expected to call him mommy now?

No judgement on Michael, his life is his life, he for his own reasons chooses to appear to be female, whatever.

How can his daughters see him as a woman, when in their memory banks daddy was father and male.

Like it or not, there is a reason why children need a male and female as parents, you can paint over a stop sign on a street, it is still a stop sign.

Michael chooses to be no more,  this is his choice, why do his children have to see their daddy as a Kayla?  I believe Michael is their dad and always will be, Kayla is another entity.

Hope one day they can understand the reason why daddy had to leave. Maybe find a friend in Kayla, she is not daddy nor ever can be. 

Ditto and thank you for your insightful commentary. 

April 28, 2008, 11:30 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: shadycat1

he shows up at her work dressed in lace and Jeans and just announces he's transgendered, how humiliating for her, it might be more mainstream nowadays, but that dosen't mean EVERYONE is open minded about it, seriously, the taunts and jokes that would go on behind her back, some would be brazen enough to do it to her face.
Okay, he should be able to be happy, I won't argue that, and if he's always been a woman in a man's body, then yes he has the right to change that if he feels he has to, but I think the way he went about it was wrong, this is something that should've been discussed long before.
I couldn't agree more Shady. Kayla SHOULD be happy, and there isn't any inherent danger to her daughters and if it been handled correctly, COULD have been a positive, still difficult, transition for ALL of them.

April 29, 2008, 12:52 am CDT

I think it's sick and he needs help!!

I know Mike personally I was married to him and he practically destroyed my life after I married him! He is very selfish and has many personalities! This must be number 5! You guys don't know him like I do, he is a dangrous man and will not get help because he said he would lose his PI license. He is gone way off this time. He changes his mind about something like being married he just gets rid of you like trash and expects it to be "OK" will now he has done his family this way. I really hope he gets some kind of serious help!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last