Message Boards

Topic : 08/04 Daddy Drama

Number of Replies: 1404
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:00:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/29/08) Christina, 21, and her younger sister, Carlie, 13, say they had a close relationship with their father, Michael, until two years ago when he decided to transition to a female. Michael was a police officer, soldier and loving parent who lived his life as a male for 40 years. Now, he wants his daughters to call him Mom, because he says Dad is gone, but they refuse. Michael, who prefers to be called Kayla, says she wants to explain to her daughters why she's living as a woman, but they've never given her the chance. The last time Christina saw her father was two years ago when he showed up at her work in lace and blue jeans to break the news that he's transgendered. When she sees Kayla onstage, does she greet her with open arms? Next, Carlie joins her sister and father. She says she wants her old dad back, but will she feel the same after seeing Kayla? Can the father-daughter bond be turned into a mother-daughter one? Be prepared for an emotional journey as two daughters  struggle to understand how someone they say loved so much could hurt them so badly. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 29, 2008, 12:54 am CDT

He needs help!

Quote From: augustmoon61

Ditto and thank you for your insightful commentary. 
Why would anyone think it's alright to do this to this?

April 29, 2008, 12:59 am CDT

I know him too!

Quote From: augustmoon61

I believe that you can see both sides of the coin.  I have responded to you only because I have decided to respond from the positive people instead of the silly and one sided comments that I see on the message boards.  I know Michael personally and found him to be extremely selfish and self centered.  He may have had issues in the past but as always he never thinks things through.  He acts and reacts by the seat of his pants and uses his emotions to guide him.  I do not know him as Kayla but what I am seeing, he still has the same attributes.  Female, Male, what is the difference??  He continues to manipulate the people around him.  He tries to get everyone to see the world through his eyes and make them understand his way of thinking.

The girls have had a roller coaster ride relationship with him all along.  They are not able to express their feelings to him because of the emotions that they are feeling right now.  Michael has not sought any counseling because he states all therapists are quacks.  The girls are going through the 12 steps of grief.  They are at the acceptance stage and need more time and lots of therapy.   I would hope that people on the message boards would give insight to their own experiences (if any) and be encouraging to them due to the fact that they are so young and impressionable.

I agree with you. He needs help and has needed it for years.

April 29, 2008, 5:17 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: afraid

Dr Phil i was watching Oprah today and b4 the show Oprah said she was going to have that pregnant man on the show again today, and thear was a question she was going to ask him one she forgot to ask him on her show when he was on it before, i thought my e-s-p was working real good i just knew i knew what she was gunna ask him, boy oh boy did my e-s-p fail me today,she asked him were those his own eggs, i was speechless, i thought she was going to ask him just how in the hell he got pregnant in the first place, thats what i wanted to know,apparently Oprah did not think about that question, he was not good looking enough for no one i know to have gotten him in that situation, even drunk!!! i cant wait to see how the guy on this show looks like if his surgeons did a good job maybe you could get the surgeons to agree to contact Oprah and get that poor man to come see them, i know thear are really gifted surgeons out thear that could improve on him, that guy complained about his breast not growing but he said his nipples did something,what ever in the hell he meant by that i have no clue, i think its so nice that a man can become a woman this day and time that will let them see what a woman goes through when they are up town and man look stare and whistle at them, maybe make them show women more respect. i wonder if you can try out being a woman and if you decide you do not like being a woman go back and get a refund? i think if that were possible more men would try that out, any way good luck to the ill just call this one a new woman. hope its refundable if he don't like it.
Heads up on this. He used to be a woman. He had his breasts removed, but kept his uterus,because he thought he might want to have children some day. So they were his own eggs.They actually ended up getting pregnant at home. (They had previously tried at the Dr's office but it didn't take.) So, they had the frozen sperm at home  (that they had bought at a sperm bank) and his wife did the honors with a kind of turkey baster(not really a turkey baster) but whatever is used to transfer the sperm to the woman trying to get pregnant. When they did the procedure at home, he got pregnant. (His wife has 2 grown daughters but has since had to have a hysterectomy, so she can't have any more children) He is going to have a vaginal birth.They are very happy and excited about the baby. We live in a whole new world, huh?

April 29, 2008, 5:29 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: cyncritter

These children are being selfish. All their lives their father worked hard to provide for them and see to their every need. The very LEAST they can do to return all the love and devotion he gave them as a father figure is to accept him the way he has always accepted them--their quirks, their youthful indescretions--and love him no matter what.

It's not like gender changes aren't mainstream now. Thousands of people have made this change. It's time we all stop being selfish in what WE want, and start realizing that life doesn't revolve around each one of us... it just revolves, and we need to accept change when it happens. Why throw away a loving parent just because we have to look at them differently, and call him by MOM instead of DAD? The heart is still the same, and so is the love for the family.

Time to grow up.

I don't think it's fair to call these children selfish. It is a lot to take in and accept that thier father is now living life as a woman. I have 2 grown children and they are very close to my husband. I have to believe that it would be very hard for them to accept if thier dad decided to become a woman. It would be something similiar to a death, except that, with these girls thier dad has died and come back as a woman. They need to have time to mourn the dad that they have lost. Perhaps with time and counseling they can come to accept this "death", so to speak, and learn to understand why their father needed to do this. This is not something that thier father can force them to accept. I think they have to do it on thier own terms. In the end they will either accept it or they won't.

April 29, 2008, 5:40 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: housewife52

Heads up on this. He used to be a woman. He had his breasts removed, but kept his uterus,because he thought he might want to have children some day. So they were his own eggs.They actually ended up getting pregnant at home. (They had previously tried at the Dr's office but it didn't take.) So, they had the frozen sperm at home  (that they had bought at a sperm bank) and his wife did the honors with a kind of turkey baster(not really a turkey baster) but whatever is used to transfer the sperm to the woman trying to get pregnant. When they did the procedure at home, he got pregnant. (His wife has 2 grown daughters but has since had to have a hysterectomy, so she can't have any more children) He is going to have a vaginal birth.They are very happy and excited about the baby. We live in a whole new world, huh?
thank you i am releaved to know that, in this case he makes a better looking man i would say i can understand why he wanted to change now.

April 29, 2008, 5:51 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: angeleyes65

I know Mike personally I was married to him and he practically destroyed my life after I married him! He is very selfish and has many personalities! This must be number 5! You guys don't know him like I do, he is a dangrous man and will not get help because he said he would lose his PI license. He is gone way off this time. He changes his mind about something like being married he just gets rid of you like trash and expects it to be "OK" will now he has done his family this way. I really hope he gets some kind of serious help!
one thing for SURE he aint a dangrous man anylonger, 

April 29, 2008, 5:58 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

In my eyes, "he" is a she. NO man can ever really get pregnant! "He" is having a baby because "he" was born a woman.  He is NOT a he. Yeah what a world we live in.......

April 29, 2008, 6:07 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: angeleyes65

I know Mike personally I was married to him and he practically destroyed my life after I married him! He is very selfish and has many personalities! This must be number 5! You guys don't know him like I do, he is a dangrous man and will not get help because he said he would lose his PI license. He is gone way off this time. He changes his mind about something like being married he just gets rid of you like trash and expects it to be "OK" will now he has done his family this way. I really hope he gets some kind of serious help!
On the outside looking in, I can see how it would be extremely difficult to try and have a successful marriage with a man who really felt like he was meant to be a woman. Perhaps, instead of just simply saying to you" You know, I really don't feel comfortable being married to you because I feel like a woman who is in a man's body,"  he showed his frustration by being selfish and seeming to have different personalities., and changed his mind about being married and threw you out like trash. I'm not saying any of this is o.k., I'm just saying it's easier for me to look at it , see it in a different way than you do, because I am a stranger on the outside looking in from afar. I can't EVEN imagine how difficult it would be to marry a man and expect him to behave like a man, and not realize that he doesn't feel that he is a man, he identifies with being a woman. It just never had a chance from the beginning and you are an unwilling victim who got caught up in something unforseen, with not much of a way it was ever going to work out. In all fairness, if he knew for sure he leaned toward being a woman, he should have fessed up in the beginning and not dragged you into it.

April 29, 2008, 6:27 am CDT

God don't make mistakes!

In my opinion, you are born the sex you are to be born with because that is the way nature intended! People like this, also my opinion, are just practicing a perversion. I can't print what I would do to my father if he did this. I feel for his daughters. If you girls do end up reading this, he is the one missing out, not you. Gee, I wonder what his brothers on the police force think of him.

April 29, 2008, 7:05 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

On the outside looking in, I can see how it would be extremely difficult to try and have a successful marriage with a man who really felt like he was meant to be a woman. Perhaps, instead of just simply saying to you" You know, I really don't feel comfortable being married to you because I feel like a woman who is in a man's body,"  he showed his frustration by being selfish and seeming to have different personalities., and changed his mind about being married and threw you out like trash. I'm not saying any of this is o.k., I'm just saying it's easier for me to look at it , see it in a different way than you do, because I am a stranger on the outside looking in from afar. I can't EVEN imagine how difficult it would be to marry a man and expect him to behave like a man, and not realize that he doesn't feel that he is a man, he identifies with being a woman. It just never had a chance from the beginning and you are an unwilling victim who got caught up in something unforseen, with not much of a way it was ever going to work out. In all fairness, if he knew for sure he leaned toward being a woman, he should have fessed up in the beginning and not dragged you into it.

Bottom line...if he felt that deeply that he was meant to be a woman, then he should never have had any children. And three, with three different wives. Who you kidding??  If that's not selfish, I don't know what is! He deserves to be left alone. It just truly breaks my heart what those kids have to go through!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last