Message Boards

Topic : 08/04 Daddy Drama

Number of Replies: 1404
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:00:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/29/08) Christina, 21, and her younger sister, Carlie, 13, say they had a close relationship with their father, Michael, until two years ago when he decided to transition to a female. Michael was a police officer, soldier and loving parent who lived his life as a male for 40 years. Now, he wants his daughters to call him Mom, because he says Dad is gone, but they refuse. Michael, who prefers to be called Kayla, says she wants to explain to her daughters why she's living as a woman, but they've never given her the chance. The last time Christina saw her father was two years ago when he showed up at her work in lace and blue jeans to break the news that he's transgendered. When she sees Kayla onstage, does she greet her with open arms? Next, Carlie joins her sister and father. She says she wants her old dad back, but will she feel the same after seeing Kayla? Can the father-daughter bond be turned into a mother-daughter one? Be prepared for an emotional journey as two daughters  struggle to understand how someone they say loved so much could hurt them so badly. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 26, 2008, 11:35 am CDT

who should i be angry at ???

come on girls grow up let your father go on with his life with or without you its his choice

and dad how can you do this to your daughters ???? you were a police officer for crying out loud dont you have any self respect for yourself??? have you always been like this ???? why wait this long ?? why didnt you do this along time ago before you got married or had children why make them suffer

i think you took the cowards way out  shame on you

April 26, 2008, 11:41 am CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

April 26, 2008, 12:31 pm CDT

Children should accept father's gender transition

These children are being selfish. All their lives their father worked hard to provide for them and see to their every need. The very LEAST they can do to return all the love and devotion he gave them as a father figure is to accept him the way he has always accepted them--their quirks, their youthful indescretions--and love him no matter what.

It's not like gender changes aren't mainstream now. Thousands of people have made this change. It's time we all stop being selfish in what WE want, and start realizing that life doesn't revolve around each one of us... it just revolves, and we need to accept change when it happens. Why throw away a loving parent just because we have to look at them differently, and call him by MOM instead of DAD? The heart is still the same, and so is the love for the family.

Time to grow up.

April 26, 2008, 12:36 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

A Daddy Doctor Drama Phil. I haver never see this before just make sure that you donot turn in to a woman

because if you do your wife will be mad and not be your wife anymore. See you on Tuesday April 29th, 20--

08. Sincerley Yours. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 26, 2008, 12:37 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

I just want to say that I think this guy who wants to transform himself into a female has got be crazzzzy I think this guy needs some counseling big time

April 27, 2008, 12:43 pm CDT

a mom or a dad?

I just wanted to say that there is no way we can understand the torment this man has been going through for 40 years.  This must of been a burden in his heart everyday.  I can understand the girls being "disgusted" and confused.  I really hope that doctor Phil, and the help that will follow, will really help them all to understand what each one is going through and why.  The main thing I hope the girls will realize, their Dad's heart and love for them is TOTALLY the same.  It may even be able to get stronger now because thier Dad feels better about himself.  It's hard to love others when you  don't love yourself.  I REALLY hope they can all move on and just concentrate on the love they have for eachother.  After all, that's REALLY all that matters in life.  Our love for others and a family's love is the  strongest and most supportive kind.  Please move forward and DON'T loose each other over this.

April 27, 2008, 5:04 pm CDT

call you what??

I can understand that there is turmoil in the mind of the "man" who wants to become a "woman". That is "his" struggle. but to request "his" daughters to call "him" mom is out of the question. They already have a mom, from the way I see it, their dad no longer exists. "he", "himself" has changed "his" name. If "he" wants to claim any biological connection with these (way too young for this drama) girls, "he" better back up and remember who made this choice to change genders. He's had those 40 years to think it over and come to the emotional platou to go through with it. They were slapped in the face with "his" choice. Showing up at her work?? say what?! So unfair and selfish on "his" part. This should have been talked about in private BEFORE the opperation. And now "he" wants "his" 'chance to plead his case'? These are Michael's daughter's, Michael cheated them out of their father, by being selfish enough to thrust this on them in a non-parental way. they are still young 13 and 21. Gee wiz they are dealing with their own identity and that age..... the most "he" should expect from them is a friendly aquaintenence, that has just been introduced to these girls and work to a trusting relationship.  this call me mom balogna- stoooooop! when my son had a new step mom...it was his choice what to call her, not hers. so there.

April 27, 2008, 5:57 pm CDT

Daddy's Drama

Quote From: magicrandi

I just wanted to say that there is no way we can understand the torment this man has been going through for 40 years.  This must of been a burden in his heart everyday.  I can understand the girls being "disgusted" and confused.  I really hope that doctor Phil, and the help that will follow, will really help them all to understand what each one is going through and why.  The main thing I hope the girls will realize, their Dad's heart and love for them is TOTALLY the same.  It may even be able to get stronger now because thier Dad feels better about himself.  It's hard to love others when you  don't love yourself.  I REALLY hope they can all move on and just concentrate on the love they have for eachother.  After all, that's REALLY all that matters in life.  Our love for others and a family's love is the  strongest and most supportive kind.  Please move forward and DON'T loose each other over this.
This dad must have agonized all these years about his sexual orientation, especially as an ex cop where machismo and tough- guy image is everything, so I sympathize with him about the difficultly  he is facing with his daughters' inability to accept his new sexual identity. However expecting them to call him/her mom is definitely premature; he needs to give them time to absorb and understand the complexity of this issue and to continue to reassure them that his love for them is still and always the same. He should also understand that what their daughters feel, beside the embarrassment, confusion and anger, is the loss of the only father they have ever known. I'm sure Dr Phil will offer this family the kind of help they all need to be a family again.

April 27, 2008, 10:43 pm CDT

what about her point of view

what about her point of view im sure the wife new all along about her deep dark secret .

alot tougher living as a women than a man .better the kids are older now than younger titles lots of people use words mommy daddy dear sweatheart what matters is if the person loves anouther cares for anouther willing to sacrifice for anouther spellings atrochous really bad. once the change is made theres no going back. what is a mom or dad  parent with a title humm, i wonder . leah

April 27, 2008, 10:50 pm CDT

leah

Quote From: mimaof2brats1

maybe i would want tobe her or him go all the way  i often get called a princess by my friends they say i would make a prettyprincess and they wouldnt hesitate to date me or marry me i didnt think i was that cute or pretty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks leah waldron

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last