Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 "It's My Baby Too!"

Number of Replies: 1870
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:02:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/30/08) Attention men: If you have a child on the way, or dream of being a father some day, you don’t want to miss this show! A little-known law could keep you from having any rights to your child. Bryce and Esther dated for one month before Esther became pregnant. Bryce says he wanted to marry Esther and raise their child together, but Esther says she wasn’t ready to be a mother. When they broke up, Esther decided to place the baby for adoption without informing Bryce. When Bryce finally learned his daughter was born, she was already seven days old and placed with another family. Now Bryce is fighting to get his child back, but because of an obscure law in his state, he has lost his rights as a father. What law did Bryce fail to comply with that even the lawyers in this case weren’t previously aware of? Is he unfit as a father, or is this law unconstitutional? Bryce and Esther’s lawyers give their opinion. Plus, the grandparents at odds over Esther’s decision face off. Don’t miss this heated discussion and learn more about the Putative Father Registry! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 26, 2008, 9:40 pm CDT

WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THIS

Quote From: cyncritter

These tugs-of-war only hurt people, and can also damage the child at the center.

If he wants to raise a child, why doesn't he find a woman, settle down, get married, and have one together? This kind of custody battle can drag on for a long, long time, keeping everyone in limbo, including the baby. The baby needs to be the FIRST in consideration. If the family with whom the baby is placed is a good family, then that should be enough to make everyone happy.

Emotions affect babies. When everything is in chaos around the child's custody, if affects all the signals that child is getting from her would-be parents. This is not an It's-mine-and-I-have-a-right-to-have-you situation. This should be about what's the very best for the child.
HES A FATHER WTH ARE YOU THINKING PEOPLE LIKE YOU IS WHAT MAKES ME MAD, AND HE MUST HAVE THE BEST INTEREST IN HIS CHILD , WHY WOULD HE WANT THE CHILD? DUH ITS HIS BLOOD AND HE WANTS TO RAISE HIS CHILD, AS LONG AS THIS MAN CAN PROVIDE ,NOT A DRUG ABUSER, SEXUAL ABUSER,  OR DOES NOT HAVE A BAD  RECORD THAT HAS TO DO WITH CHILDREN OR DRUGS HE  DESERVES  TO RAISE HIS CHILD,, THEIR SCHOULD BE LAWS AGAINST MOTHERS WHO DONT TRY TO NOTIFY THE FATHER BEFOR ANY DESIONS MAKING... SAD SITUATION

April 26, 2008, 9:44 pm CDT

OMG TY FOR STANDING UP

Quote From: sostuck

I feel so much pain for this father who has just had his baby ripped from his life! Poor guy. The father should have just as much rights to his baby as the mother does. I don't understand how someone could have the nerve to spread her legs and get pregnant and then give the baby up without even talking to the father about it first. I mean if the mother didn't want a baby then she should have thought about that before having sex unprotected. Obviously the father wanted his baby girl and never ever got a chance at her. I feel very bad for the baby and the dad! As for the lady saying that a child needs a two parent home, I'm sorry but that is absolute bullshit!!! The only thing that is important is that the baby is healthy and happy! So what if the child only has a father or only has a mother. Do you think that if a parent dies that a child should be given up for adoption because it shouldn't be in a one parent home???

YOU ARE SO 100%  RIGHT IM GREATFUL FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU TRINA FROM OHIO

April 26, 2008, 9:47 pm CDT

FOR YOU DADS

Quote From: joeactor

Amen to that.

It would be poetic justice if ( God forbid ) the child needed a blood transfusion or organ donation and the only compatible doner was the father. I would love to see how the athorities that kept the father from his child would approach him in that case.

If you're a father, you SHOULD have rights to your children and the children should have the right to be with their natural parents. As long as the parents have proven themselves worthy and have done nothing wrong, then to seperate the family is nothing but an injustice.

YA KNOW WTH IS GOING ON HERE ITS SO SAD I SWARE ITS LIKE YOU FATHERS HAVE NO RIGHTS ANY MORE WTH IS GOING ON IN OUR SOCIETY THESE DAYS? IF YOU READ ALOT OF WHATS GOING ON IN THE WORLD YOU WILL C THEIRS MORE FATHERS AND AUNTS GRANDPARENTS RAISNG THEIR KIDS NOW DAYS ITS LIKE WOMAN IS ALL BUT GIVING UP ON THEIR CHILDREN FOR MEN, WOMAN DRUGS, DIFFRANT LIFE STYLES WTH IS GOING ON NOW DAYS ITS SAD BUT THE SADEST PART IS THESE KIDS ARE OUR GENERATION TO CARE FOR US AS THEIR ELDERS, LOOK WHAT US ALL ARE DOING TO THESE KIDSITS A DAM SAD WORLD OUT THEIR WAKE UP AND SMELL THE WORL PEOPLE WE ARE WHAT WE ARE SAD

April 26, 2008, 9:49 pm CDT

04/30 "It's My Baby Too!"

Quote From: housewife52

Life seems topsy-turvy to me sometimes. There are men and women who don't want to have a thing to do with thier kids. Then we hear about this man who wants his child and he has no right to her. On another show this week we've got a woman with 7 refridgeraters full of rotting food. On the other hand we've got homeless families digging through the dumpsters. I guess that's just the way it is sometimes. 
If you're a father, you   should have rights to your children and the children should have the right, to be with their natural parents. As long as the parents have proven themselves worthy and have done nothing wrong, then to seperate the family is nothing but an injustice. For i know first hand here my dear friends plz have voice for this young daughter he so deserves to raise.... trina from ohior

April 27, 2008, 3:48 am CDT

Check It Out

I looked online about the Father's Registry...it varies little state to state that have this law. This should prove to be a very interesting and a learning experience for men. I did not know it existed. But one thing I know...it does not necessarily mean a father is unfit.

April 27, 2008, 7:34 am CDT

Quote From: erinezzell

I don't know what the story behind the biological father is, but how dare you say that he doesnt have the right to be a parent to his daughter.   In a time when so many fathers don't live up to the responsibilities that they helped create, here is a father that is and the law says too bad. It makes no sense.  If you think that he shouldnt be able to raise his daughter because he isnt married then there should be a lot of children placed for adoption.  How many single mothers are there out there? lots.  So unless this guy is an alcoholic, drug abuser or child abuser, then give him his child!!
Amen to that.   He should have the same rights as the mother.  What a shame.

April 27, 2008, 10:50 am CDT

What were they thinking?

Quote From: cyncritter

These tugs-of-war only hurt people, and can also damage the child at the center.

If he wants to raise a child, why doesn't he find a woman, settle down, get married, and have one together? This kind of custody battle can drag on for a long, long time, keeping everyone in limbo, including the baby. The baby needs to be the FIRST in consideration. If the family with whom the baby is placed is a good family, then that should be enough to make everyone happy.

Emotions affect babies. When everything is in chaos around the child's custody, if affects all the signals that child is getting from her would-be parents. This is not an It's-mine-and-I-have-a-right-to-have-you situation. This should be about what's the very best for the child.

An obscure law wherein a man has to register having sex with every woman in order to be a candidate to adopt his own child, can't possibly be on strong constitutional ground.  If a DNA test proves that the child is his, it should go to court. 

No.  Finding a woman, marrying her, and settling down and forgetting about his child is not in everyone's best interests.  It would help the adoptive parents, though.  They do not have "property rights" to the child, either.     

April 27, 2008, 12:28 pm CDT

Feel bad for Dad

Now before I go any further let me say that I do not agree with my adopted daughters choices but I love her unconditionally.

I have an adopted daughter who has 2 children by 2 different guys. Her son's biological father decided after he was 2 1/2 years old that he wanted to be a part of his life. She did not have a choice in the matter & they had to undergo a paternity test. The man was ordered to pay child support & he paid it for a short time then stopped, he is still entitled to his visitations but is not being made to pay the support and now he doesn't even see our grandson unless he feels like it. To us he is just, "the sperm donor" & is causing more harm then anything.

Then I read this about the young man who supposedly doesn't have any rights to his daughter because he wasn't there during the pregnancy. In my State if a female wants to give up a child for adoption or her current spouse wants to adopt her child they have to run articles in the newspapers & try everything within her power to notify the biological father of her intentions before she can legally go through with it. The one response that I read said something about a child needing 2 parents, how ridiculous is that. My mom died when I was 10 and my sisters were 7 & 3 and my dad loved us just fine! I agree that in a perfect world it would be nice for the parents to be happily married to each other before they have a child but in todays world that is not how it seems to work.

If this young man is the little girls biological father and is seen to be a fit person then he should have just as much right to her as she did. To me this adoption should be considered as fraud and should be null & void! I feel sorry for the "prospective" adoptive parents but the attorney's should have found the biological father before continuing with the adoption. Also if I am not mistaken, doesn't the mother have so much time to change her mind?

Give the biological father his rights!!!

April 27, 2008, 12:45 pm CDT

Give Bryce a chance

Quote From: speceddeb

Thank you, Esther, for choosing life for your baby!  Thank you for making the selfless sacrifice to have your child raised in a two-parent home!

Bryce, I am sorry for your loss, however I hope you will be able to forgive Esther for not consulting you regarding the adoption.  Please realize that a child needs more than love.  Next time, please don't make a baby until you are married.

OMG!!! What are you thinking? I agree she chose life for her baby in having her instead of an abortion, which should never be an option in my opinion, but that is the only thing I agree with you on. How do you figure she made a selfless sacrifice by giving her child up to a two parent home instead of the babies biological father? Having two parents does not make a child's life necessarily better, sometimes it can be worse. Also who is she to be the only person to make such a life changing decision? This isn't only going to affect her but Bryce also. You also said "that a child needs more than love", how do you know he couldn't give his child all she needs or that the adoptive parents will be able to do this? Your last statement  is a little one sided, you said to Bryce, "Next time, please don't make a baby until you are married", what about Esther, they BOTH consented to have sex so in turn they BOTH should be considered when it comes to any decisions having to do with THEIR baby! Give Bryce a fair chance and stop judging him for BOTH of their choices.

April 27, 2008, 3:28 pm CDT

To bad California doesn't have this law!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last