Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 "It's My Baby Too!"

Number of Replies: 1870
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:02:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/30/08) Attention men: If you have a child on the way, or dream of being a father some day, you don’t want to miss this show! A little-known law could keep you from having any rights to your child. Bryce and Esther dated for one month before Esther became pregnant. Bryce says he wanted to marry Esther and raise their child together, but Esther says she wasn’t ready to be a mother. When they broke up, Esther decided to place the baby for adoption without informing Bryce. When Bryce finally learned his daughter was born, she was already seven days old and placed with another family. Now Bryce is fighting to get his child back, but because of an obscure law in his state, he has lost his rights as a father. What law did Bryce fail to comply with that even the lawyers in this case weren’t previously aware of? Is he unfit as a father, or is this law unconstitutional? Bryce and Esther’s lawyers give their opinion. Plus, the grandparents at odds over Esther’s decision face off. Don’t miss this heated discussion and learn more about the Putative Father Registry! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 30, 2008, 6:19 am CDT

04/30 "It's My Baby Too!"

Quote From: dafellows2

On June 17th in New York's capitol, Albany families that have been ripped apart by nonsense like this are coming together. Mothers-fathers-aunts-uncles and so many more are invited.
This should be a non-issue. Mothers and fathers should have equal access to their children and protection under the law. But it isn't that way. Only a few groups support fathers as non-parents. They have lobbied - under the guise of women's rights - to exterminate fathers. What they don't want you to know is that while giving the government the right to walk in an exterminate a father, they have also given the right to the government to exterminate mothers. by allowing this to happen, they apply for more grant monies to support their issues. Just look up their incomes. It isn't uncommon for them to have incomes of over $30,000,000 while claiming to be broke.
What just happened in Texas is prime example of it. And where are our leaders? Obama says he'll support the Texas government, Hillary the same, McCain is silent, Bush is no where. Whether we believe a child should marry at the age of 15 is not the issue. The issue is the law. In "Texas The age of consent is eighteen. With parental and judicial consent, parties can marry but not below the age of fourteen for males and thirteen for females. Common law marriages are recognized." The "law guardians" and counselors for the courts are telling the mothers to separate from the fathers and to admit that they believe that marriage before 18 is not good for the person marring and then they'll get their children back. Its called "coercion". If the mothers give into it they will not get their children back. They only thing they'll get is an order terminating their parental rights as a "stipulated" agreement. They would have agreed that it's bad for the kids to marry before 18, that the father's are a negative influence over the children and that they have allowed it to continue.
Being raised in Woodstock NY I've heard this argument used in other areas. Like smoking pot. Whether you agree or not, it's illegal and if you get arrested for using and state that you believe that it should be legal doesn't cut it. With the parents permission the Texas law states that each and every one of these "kids" could marry. If the Department of Social Services doesn't like the law then they need to change it; in the mean time they must abide by it. What the Texas authorities did was wrong and so is giving up a baby for adoption without consent of both parents.
If this woman lied and said that she didn't know who the father was than the adoption is illegal. If she did uncover who the father is and the authorities didn't contact him than the adoption is illegal.  If we allow this to happen than what is to stop the authorities to come in and take babies from their mothers and give them up for adoption? It is happening with greater and greater frequency and we're just allowing it to happen.
I am the VP for FaFNY.org and we fight against these kinds of things. We have seen a change in the tide over the last decade. First the gov kicked out dads and society said that was good because of the false impression that all men are child molesting abusers. Then the gov started telling moms what they could and couldn't do with their children, like mandatory vaccines and no home schooling. Now FaFNY is seeing a serge of married couples having the gov kidnap their children, just like in Texas but on a much smaller scale.
The American family is in jeopardy and we must stand together, just like on June 17, 2008 and say we've had enough.
Come and support the family in Albany and that includes both Mothers and Fathers, grand mothers and grandfathers, sisters and brothers, aunts and uncles. Come together and let our voice be heard.  debbyatfafny at yahoo dot com.
debbyatfafny it sounds like you and your organization, have real issues at heart , and i think mothers and fathers should have the same rights when it comes to their children, unless one of them is doing the child harm in any way then i think the parent harming that child should be kept away , i haven't visited your site as of yet to see what its all about, as you probably can see by my post here i really do not have a clue what your talking about , but you said Texas and i do remember seeing over 400 children taken away from their parents, and from what the news was showing the world that was happening to those children  i have to say thank god they steeped in and removed those children, in all those cases i do however feel that the parents willing to leave that ranch and start a new life with those children should be given a chance to do just that, with the proper authorities keeping a eye on them of course, what i read in your post scares the hell out of me, but what i see children being forced to live and the way there treated scares me worse, wow debbyatfafny for the first time in my computer days i have found a word spell check has no idea about  lol, man i feel better about my spelling now, your user name it has ni idea about, i have never seen spell check come up blank before, good luck in your efforts here ill check out that site to learn more about your cause.

April 30, 2008, 6:45 am CDT

Quote From: annette43

THIS IS WHY FOLKS NEED TO USE CONDOMS AND PILLS... OR A SAFEWAY BAG TO PUT OVER  THEIR GUY PENIS ... ALL THIS UNPROTECTED SEX LEADS TO DISEASES AND CHILDREN ... THE LAWS ARE ALWAYS ON THE FEMALES SIDE... CAUSE... IT THINKS SHE KNOWS BEST ...AND SHE DOES ALL THE LABOR WORK FOR NINE MONTHS .... YEAH!! .... RIGHT! ... THATS WHY MOST ARE KILLING THEIR CHILDREN ALSO ... THE LAW NEEDS TO CHANGE... NOW ...

THERE ARE SOME  MANY GOOD MEN OUT HERE ... THEY ARE NOT GIVING THE CHANCE TO PROVIDE IT ...SO THATS ..WHY.... I BELIEVE THE LAWS SHOULD CHANGE ... ITS TAKES TWO TO MAKE A CHILD ....SO ITS UP TO BOTH TO DECIDE WHATS BEST .... NOW THE MOTHER ....IF SHE DID NOT WANT ANY CHILD.... HER DUMB-BUTT SHOULD HAD BEEN ON THE PILLS OR WHATEVER BIRTH CONTROL THAT IS BEST FOR HER ....

SO SHE WOULD NOT GET PREGNANT.... THATS JUST PLAIN COMMON SENSE ..... IF SHE HAVE ANY ... IT JUST SHOW TO ME SHE JUST OUT THERE DOING HER THING ... AND NOT EVEN GIVING A SECOND THOUGHT... HECK ....ITS DISEASE OUT HERE  .... AND NONE OF THE GUYS WILL TELL HER THAT THEY GOT SOME DISEASE ... SHE SHOULD HAD TOLD HIM  .... AND ALL THE OTHER GUYS SHE BEEN SLEEPING'  WITH ...

THAT SHE HAVING A BABY..... AND SHE DON'T WANT IT ... TOOK A DNA TEST.... FIND THE FATHER AND IF HE WANTS IT THEN HE SHOULD HAVE IT .... NOW ... MOST FOLKS MIGHT GET MAD THAT HE WAITED TOO LONG WILL DUH!!!!!!!! ... HE MIGHT JUST HAD FIND OUT LATE ....NOW.... THAT MAKE SENSE TO ME ... SO.... HE TOOK ACTION ON WHAT TO DO TO GET HIS DAUGHTER .. NOW THAT SHOWS ME THAT HE IS DOING HIS RESPONSIBLE AS A MAN .....

AND AS A HUMAN BEING .... MOST DADS DON'T EVEN DO THAT MUCH ....THEY DO NOTHING ... AND MOST KNOW THEY ARE THE FATHERS ... MY FATHER WAS NEVER EVER IN MY LIFE ... AND HE KNEW ME FROM THE START ... I THINK AND HOPE THE LAW CHANGES .... THE CPS ,,, SOCIAL WORKERS,,, AND WHOMSOEVER ....

JUST NEED TO REALIZE THAT IT TAKES TWO ....AND IF THE MOTHER DON'T WANT THE CHILD.... FIND OUT IF THE FATHER WANTS THE CHILD .... AND IF SO MAKE IT EASY ....THAT THE MOTHER WOULD NOT HAVE ANY SAY-SO ABOUT THE CHILD .... CAUSE CHILDREN NEEDS THEIR MOMS AND DADS TO LIVE ,,,, A HAPPY LIVE ... PLEASE LAWMAKERS CHANGE THE LAWS FOR THE GOOD DADS IN THE WORLD.

i never thought i would read a post where a woman would speak out for us men, thank you, my first wife found out she was pregnant after we devoiced and told me about it and she was going to get a abortion, i begged her not to told her i would take the child myself and raise it, she refused to listen to me , i asked if i was suppose to sign any papers allowing this, i was told NO, she went through with the abortion, it took me some time to get over that, after all in my eyes she had just killed my child, well now all of that is between her and god, she still comes to see me from time to time to see how I'm doing, and i can tell you every time she brings that day up she regrets ever having that  done,

April 30, 2008, 6:49 am CDT

Quote From: stjo16

As a mother of two sons and even before I had my sons I feel like men get a raw deal when it comes to children.  A woman can lie and sneak and do everything in her power to get pregnant by a man to trap him and he is stuck, like it or not with a person he does not love.  Then on the other hand he can have a child that he wants and loves very much and wants to be the best father in the world but she says NO. She moves away or tells lies to the judge and he never gets to see his child. Or like in this case she decides to give the child away. What has happened to, what is best for the child?  Is not having the child raised by his or her real parent , mother or father the best for the child?  To have the real grandparents around. The only way it would not be is if the family is unfit because of drugs or worse.  The laws need to be looked at and changed.

Men have a mouth and a tonge to speak with, they can say no to sex. come on, a woman can only trap a man who thinks with his little head and not his big one!!! why is it when two people decide to lay down together,  only one is responsible when the + sign shows up on the stick.

The man has a   responibitly for this child, then and now.

April 30, 2008, 7:03 am CDT

His MOM is going to raise the baby?

He admittedly cannot even RAISE this child-  he was going to hand her over to his MOTHER who raised him- a druggie loser  & near pedofile.  Are you kidding me?  Esther totally made the right choice.  I just had a beautiful baby boy 6 months ago,  & he is so healthy & well adjusted in a STABLE, 2 PARENT HOME.  I am so proud of Esther for making a very difficult decision ON BEHALF OF HER BABY.  She did all that work,  and is selfless in deciding to do what is best for the baby,  no matter how hard it was.  I am in an incredibly lucky position,  & it is difficult to get up at all hours of the night to take care of & love a baby,  & you can't make me believe that the obnoxious grandmother I saw on the show would do a better job by herself,  than a 2 parent team.  He is making such a huge fuss & he isn't even going to raise this child.  He didn't take care of his first marriage,  or his pregnant YOUNG girlfriend,  or HIMSELF,  WHAT MAKES ANYONE THINK HE CAN ALL OF A SUDDEN PONY UP & TAKE CARE OF A HELPLESS BABY?  The audience really pissed me off today.  I'm glad the laws support Esther,  & more importantly,  THE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2008, 7:06 am CDT

Esters father

I cant believe he called the grandmother on the fathers side domineering,     he was the one who was the domineering one,     it seems he made all of the decisions for his daughter and the adoption.  It was quite obvious that they did everything that they could to keep him away.    and the father to say it was rape,  just proves the point he didn't want the father of t he baby involved in anything at all.    I hope it works out for Brice,   why cant the fathers who want to be involved be able too,     there are far to many who are not involved at all.

April 30, 2008, 7:11 am CDT

I know what its like to always want to feel like your kids are right or you are protecting them from harms way, but when your own daughter sitting next to you can state that she was not raped and that the child is not a product of rape and you still can not even believe it. That's the exact moment that I know when that family walked into their lawyers office they told her we don't care what we have to say to keep that child away from Bryce. Sure who knows if Bryce is really a fit father but that is for a family court to decide.

April 30, 2008, 7:11 am CDT

This is so wrong!!

I just finished watching "This is my baby, too!"  First of all, Esther says she was not ready to be a mom.  Then why did she have sex---and unprotected sex at that!  Also, how could they expect this young man to contribute to his child when they refused to even acknowledge his calls.  He asked for their address so maybe he was going to send some money, but they refused to give him the address.  Also, he was probably calling to inquire about his child, and they would not even answer the phone.  Another thing that is totally wrong is the fact that the mom and the maternal grandparents have contact but the father and paternal grandmother do not.  What kind of judge makes the decision made in this case?  It is a proven fact that both parents, male and female, contribute to the healthy development of a child.  It's like fathers have no rights to their own children.  This all started with the women's lib movement and lesbianism.  There is nothing at all the justify this decision!  It is totally WRONG!!!

April 30, 2008, 7:16 am CDT

What about the BABY???

Hello everyone. What about the baby? Should that baby grow up with a mother and father who hate each other. Grandparents that hate eachother. A 35 year old "former" drug user who has 2 dwi's (he should be in prison), that lives with his MOTHER! what?? It is true, that is some weird law, but in this case GOOD!

Now we won't have to do a show years from now with the messed up girl.

April 30, 2008, 7:18 am CDT

um... he is

Quote From: erinezzell

I don't know what the story behind the biological father is, but how dare you say that he doesnt have the right to be a parent to his daughter.   In a time when so many fathers don't live up to the responsibilities that they helped create, here is a father that is and the law says too bad. It makes no sense.  If you think that he shouldnt be able to raise his daughter because he isnt married then there should be a lot of children placed for adoption.  How many single mothers are there out there? lots.  So unless this guy is an alcoholic, drug abuser or child abuser, then give him his child!!

April 30, 2008, 7:37 am CDT

IT'S MY BABY TOO

LET ME JUST START OUT BY SAYING HOW BAD I FEEL FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED.

THE DECISIONS THAT HAVE TO BE MADE AND THE CHOICES THAT WILL BE MADE.

SHAME ON YOU YOUNG LADY FOR ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN!!!!

TOO HAVE THIS SITUATION GO THIS FAR. HE WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO LYE WITH AND NOW

HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO RAISE HIS CHILD?

I LIVE IN NEW YORK STATE AND I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE CUSTODY AND THE PATERNITY

ALL OF IT.  NEEDLESS TO SAY I DO NOT HOLD OUR JUDICAL SYSTEM IN HIGH REGUARDS!

AND THIS LAW THAT YOU SPEAK SHAKES ME TO THE CORE.

TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A CHILD OUT THERE SOMEWHERE AND NOT BE ABLE TO SEE HIM/HER

WOULD BE UNTHINKABLE.  I THINK THE LAW SHOULD BE DONE AWAY WITH.

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE LITTLE GIRL WHO MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET TO KNOW HER DAD.

BUT REMEMBER THIS TO ALL PARTIES INVOLVED.  THAT LITTLE GIRL WILL GROW UP AND BECOME A YOUNG LADY SOMEDAY AND SHE IS GOING TO WANT TO KNOW HER FATHER WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO THEN?  SHAME SHAME ON YOU.  TO YOU BRYCE GOD'S SPEED  AND OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR MOM WITH ALL THE DECISIONS THAT HAVE TO BE MADE IN THE FUTURE. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last