Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 "It's My Baby Too!"

Number of Replies: 1870
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:02:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/30/08) Attention men: If you have a child on the way, or dream of being a father some day, you don’t want to miss this show! A little-known law could keep you from having any rights to your child. Bryce and Esther dated for one month before Esther became pregnant. Bryce says he wanted to marry Esther and raise their child together, but Esther says she wasn’t ready to be a mother. When they broke up, Esther decided to place the baby for adoption without informing Bryce. When Bryce finally learned his daughter was born, she was already seven days old and placed with another family. Now Bryce is fighting to get his child back, but because of an obscure law in his state, he has lost his rights as a father. What law did Bryce fail to comply with that even the lawyers in this case weren’t previously aware of? Is he unfit as a father, or is this law unconstitutional? Bryce and Esther’s lawyers give their opinion. Plus, the grandparents at odds over Esther’s decision face off. Don’t miss this heated discussion and learn more about the Putative Father Registry! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 30, 2008, 7:41 am CDT

Sneaky laws!!

This is unacceptable!! It seems from what I heard on today's show that this man was not given a fair chance to gain custody of his baby girl. Dr. Phil, I just loved it when you asked that attorney how she expected this man to know about this law when she didn't. You never let me down!! After listening to both sides, I feel that there was a nasty break up and Ester's daddy is pulling the strings and wagging the dog's tail. I see nothing but cold people on that side. Brice and his mother seem genuine and at least he admits to his mistakes unlike the holier than thou family who took his rights away. Now, like you Dr. Phil, I'm not saying that I feel that Brice is fit to raise this baby, but he should have had the chance to prove himself. I'm usually a pretty good judge of character and I gotta tell you that as the show went on, I found myself not believing Ester's family. It wasn't so much what they said, but how they said it and the coldness about them. This is a HUGE example of why we need CLEAR LAWS!! There is already too much underhanded and evil doings in our system to add yet another sneaky law that preys upon fathers who deserve to be in their children's lives. Dr. Phil, maybe now that you have brought this out, more people will check to see if there is such a law in their state. My prayers go out to all involved and most of all, this baby. I also pray that there will be a fair and objective judge to preside over the appeal.

April 30, 2008, 8:02 am CDT

04/30 "It's My Baby Too!"

Quote From: cyncritter

These tugs-of-war only hurt people, and can also damage the child at the center.

If he wants to raise a child, why doesn't he find a woman, settle down, get married, and have one together? This kind of custody battle can drag on for a long, long time, keeping everyone in limbo, including the baby. The baby needs to be the FIRST in consideration. If the family with whom the baby is placed is a good family, then that should be enough to make everyone happy.

Emotions affect babies. When everything is in chaos around the child's custody, if affects all the signals that child is getting from her would-be parents. This is not an It's-mine-and-I-have-a-right-to-have-you situation. This should be about what's the very best for the child.
This is absolutely bizarre.  People are saying he should move on with his life and have another baby in a two parent home!!  That is his child and if she didn't want to take the responsibility then it should have went to the father!!   The statement a two parent home means nothing to me, I know many two parent homes that do not provide the stability that a single parent home does. I have raised my son on my own for 13 years. There is more love in this home than a lot of homes of two parent families.

April 30, 2008, 8:03 am CDT

ridiculous

Quote From: yamchik

It's ridiculous!  This man is wanting to do the right thing by his child, knowing full-well that he will not have her support, but the court won't let him.  And how is that child going to feel in twenty years, when she goes to find her biological parents, as nearly all adopted children do, and she discovers that he wanted her, but the courts wouldn't let him raise her!  It's wrong. . .she's not orphaned if one parent wants her.  I have all kinds of thoughts on her mother, however, it's not my business.  This issue isn't whether the mother is a self serving bitch. . .it's whether the law that prohibits the father from raising his child is unconstitutional.  It is of course unconstitutional.  It denies him the basic right of family given by God! 

i agree with you completely....i know for a fact that when she finds out that her biological father wanted her that she will have resentment towards her adoptive parents for not letting him see her more or not taking more of a stand to support her biological father.  what's even more ridiculous is the adoptive parents are allowing esther see her whenever she would like. In which i believe esther is the one who did not want the child in the first place. Kind of ironic don't you think?

April 30, 2008, 8:04 am CDT

It's my baby too

Ok, I don't normally do this but I am angry on so many levels.  I think that mothers should not have the right to do this kind of thing if the father wants to be in the child's life.  I am a woman and I know fathers who want no part of their children and still have to pay child support and I know fathers that pay child support and don't get to spend enough time with thier children.  If Bryce has issues than make him meet requirements in order to have rights to see his child.  It seems that Esther's father is the totally domineering person, he called all the shots and he knows it.  What that family did to Bryce was wrong, and what about his mother?  As the grandmother of an 18 month old and 2 week old I know they are my world.  My 18 month old grandchild and I are very close and have a special bond, it was not fair to take that opportunity away from her.  Esther and her parents aren't losing anything because they get to see that child.  What about the adoptive parents?  This is not fair to them to put them in the middle of this dispute.  What kind of resentment will this child feel later on when she realizes she was kept from her father?  This was in no way the Christian thing to do.  Esther admitted Bryce did not rape her, where was the police report if she was so violated?  This is crap fabricated by her father, you can see that both Esther and her mother are manipulated by him.  This is a sad situation and someone should step in and help Bryce!!!! 

April 30, 2008, 8:06 am CDT

Quote From: micheller88

Hello everyone. What about the baby? Should that baby grow up with a mother and father who hate each other. Grandparents that hate eachother. A 35 year old "former" drug user who has 2 dwi's (he should be in prison), that lives with his MOTHER! what?? It is true, that is some weird law, but in this case GOOD!

Now we won't have to do a show years from now with the messed up girl.

Wow!!  People do change and if you are going to take children away from everyone that has a DUI then there will be a lot of children without parents.   He made a mistake in his past and is stepping up to the plate and is being kicked down for it.   There shouldn't be any fighting, she clearly does not want this child so they should not get to see the child. It should go to the father and the grandmother and they should stay out of it.

April 30, 2008, 8:07 am CDT

what??????

Quote From: newwhamo

He admittedly cannot even RAISE this child-  he was going to hand her over to his MOTHER who raised him- a druggie loser  & near pedofile.  Are you kidding me?  Esther totally made the right choice.  I just had a beautiful baby boy 6 months ago,  & he is so healthy & well adjusted in a STABLE, 2 PARENT HOME.  I am so proud of Esther for making a very difficult decision ON BEHALF OF HER BABY.  She did all that work,  and is selfless in deciding to do what is best for the baby,  no matter how hard it was.  I am in an incredibly lucky position,  & it is difficult to get up at all hours of the night to take care of & love a baby,  & you can't make me believe that the obnoxious grandmother I saw on the show would do a better job by herself,  than a 2 parent team.  He is making such a huge fuss & he isn't even going to raise this child.  He didn't take care of his first marriage,  or his pregnant YOUNG girlfriend,  or HIMSELF,  WHAT MAKES ANYONE THINK HE CAN ALL OF A SUDDEN PONY UP & TAKE CARE OF A HELPLESS BABY?  The audience really pissed me off today.  I'm glad the laws support Esther,  & more importantly,  THE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Near pedophile?"  She was 19 when she became pregnant and she seduced him, by her own admission.  Please don't throw that phrase around so loosely.  It wasn't up to her to make the complete decision for the baby.  There were two parents here and one very much wanted to be a father to his baby.  Esther's own father said that he would have the baby aborted if Bryce wouldn't agree to the adoption.  That tells me that he isn't thinking of the baby at all!!!!

April 30, 2008, 8:07 am CDT

Father's Rights

I don't know how anyone can take the rights away from a father! They should be just as involved in the decision for a child as the mother as long as they are willing! It shouldn't be given all to the mother, and this is coming from a mother!, just because she carried the child for 9 months! I don't understand why there's a problem with a 1 person house hold either! Just cause there isn't 2 people in the household doesn't mean it's not normal! Why do they come up with these stupid minute laws, like the Punitive blah blah blah.... when there are so many children out there in the custody of BOTH parents who abuse there child or "things" happen and there's nothing they can do because there is no proof that the parent is unfit! I am on Bryce's side all the way! Oh by the way.... If you go to Bars you could be considered an alcoholic (can we say LAME!!!) I am glad that the baby is in the care of 2 loving people but it's not their child and I'm not going against the adoptive parents either.... but do they really like the idea that they are taking the rights away from the father when he wants so badly to be her father? It's like the adoptive parents wanting a child so bad and having it right in front of them and it being snatched away...... Bryce has rights and should be given that chance to prove himself! There are many people out there that are devastated or unhappy when they find out that they're pregnant. But it grows on people and it can even tend to force people to grow up and face reality and responsibility! I don't know if I've made myself clear but I'm on his side and I think that he should be given more of a chance..... ALOT more of a chance! Fathers are important in a little girls life.... I know that mine was and still is. Go Bryce.... never stop fighting!

April 30, 2008, 8:11 am CDT

Esther's attorney and people like her... Grrrrrr!

Esther's attorney wants to remind us all that the Supreme Court ruled, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." This woman and greedy people like her are selling their souls for the money they covet. This is biggest problem that we have in our country right now. Stop doing what is most profitable, do what is right and just. Dr. Phil should have taken her and that family to task. It was St. Augustine that said, "An unjust law is no law at all."

April 30, 2008, 8:11 am CDT

Quote From: micheller88

Hello everyone. What about the baby? Should that baby grow up with a mother and father who hate each other. Grandparents that hate eachother. A 35 year old "former" drug user who has 2 dwi's (he should be in prison), that lives with his MOTHER! what?? It is true, that is some weird law, but in this case GOOD!

Now we won't have to do a show years from now with the messed up girl.

i really think all the father wants at this point is his child, i cant beleive you would think about a persons rights as you seem to be thinking, i think in a case as this the laws DO need to be made more clear and avabile to any one in this situation, our scocity has way too many hidden laws. i know we all like supprises but this one aint fair, as for most children who have been adopted out ther will be a day when the child will most likely try to find its real dad and want some answers as to why dad did not try , as far as the child will probley ever know from her grandad and grandma its dad was a dead beat dad, thats not correct of fair to dad, in many cases its probley true but not this one, at least the real dad will have a copy of this show to prove he is no dead beat dad, as for his formre drug use thats water under the bridge as long as he dont go back down to that stream and drink it no more, his actions from this day on should be what  he is judged by, people do change, i know cause i have been there, and I changed.

April 30, 2008, 8:17 am CDT

WOW

Quote From: newwhamo

He admittedly cannot even RAISE this child-  he was going to hand her over to his MOTHER who raised him- a druggie loser  & near pedofile.  Are you kidding me?  Esther totally made the right choice.  I just had a beautiful baby boy 6 months ago,  & he is so healthy & well adjusted in a STABLE, 2 PARENT HOME.  I am so proud of Esther for making a very difficult decision ON BEHALF OF HER BABY.  She did all that work,  and is selfless in deciding to do what is best for the baby,  no matter how hard it was.  I am in an incredibly lucky position,  & it is difficult to get up at all hours of the night to take care of & love a baby,  & you can't make me believe that the obnoxious grandmother I saw on the show would do a better job by herself,  than a 2 parent team.  He is making such a huge fuss & he isn't even going to raise this child.  He didn't take care of his first marriage,  or his pregnant YOUNG girlfriend,  or HIMSELF,  WHAT MAKES ANYONE THINK HE CAN ALL OF A SUDDEN PONY UP & TAKE CARE OF A HELPLESS BABY?  The audience really pissed me off today.  I'm glad the laws support Esther,  & more importantly,  THE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are totally judgemental on a situation that you really don't know everyting about.  I hope you never make mistakes as parents so that no one can judge you.  I also hope you do everything right so that your children grow up wonderful.  Even the best of parents have kids that end up making mistakes.  Maybe he is not in the best position but maybe that child would be what would help turn his life around?  Even people that are married sometimes hit very hard times in today's society and econmomic situations and then families step in to help.  My brother who was in upper level management lost his job and had a hard time and his family (3 teenagers and wife) ended up living with my family for 13 months, things were tight.  Does his mother have to be punished?  How would your mother feel being kept away from your children. They should keep her parents away from that child because it is apparent that her father could be and emotional abuser.   It is hard to believe that you are a parent and have so little compassion!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last