Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 "It's My Baby Too!"

Number of Replies: 1870
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:02:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/30/08) Attention men: If you have a child on the way, or dream of being a father some day, you don’t want to miss this show! A little-known law could keep you from having any rights to your child. Bryce and Esther dated for one month before Esther became pregnant. Bryce says he wanted to marry Esther and raise their child together, but Esther says she wasn’t ready to be a mother. When they broke up, Esther decided to place the baby for adoption without informing Bryce. When Bryce finally learned his daughter was born, she was already seven days old and placed with another family. Now Bryce is fighting to get his child back, but because of an obscure law in his state, he has lost his rights as a father. What law did Bryce fail to comply with that even the lawyers in this case weren’t previously aware of? Is he unfit as a father, or is this law unconstitutional? Bryce and Esther’s lawyers give their opinion. Plus, the grandparents at odds over Esther’s decision face off. Don’t miss this heated discussion and learn more about the Putative Father Registry! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 26, 2008, 7:19 am CDT

choosing life

Thank you, Esther, for choosing life for your baby!  Thank you for making the selfless sacrifice to have your child raised in a two-parent home!

Bryce, I am sorry for your loss, however I hope you will be able to forgive Esther for not consulting you regarding the adoption.  Please realize that a child needs more than love.  Next time, please don't make a baby until you are married.

April 26, 2008, 11:04 am CDT

Great topic

I wrote a piece in college on this law.  What the law allows is for a man who has had unprotected sex to register in the event that his partner should become pregnant.  Everytime a girl has unprotected sex she runs the risk of becoming pregnant.  Men run the same risk.  Women have the added responsibility of carrying a child.  Men should also be responsible during the pregnancy.  To simply show up 10 or 12 months later and demand rights is unacceptable.  They should have to assist with financial costs of pregnancy etc.  In addition, for the man who says "I didn't know she was pregnant", everytime YOU have unprotected sex you can create a baby.  If you want rights register!

April 26, 2008, 11:37 am CDT

are you kidding me?!?

I don't know what the story behind the biological father is, but how dare you say that he doesnt have the right to be a parent to his daughter.   In a time when so many fathers don't live up to the responsibilities that they helped create, here is a father that is and the law says too bad. It makes no sense.  If you think that he shouldnt be able to raise his daughter because he isnt married then there should be a lot of children placed for adoption.  How many single mothers are there out there? lots.  So unless this guy is an alcoholic, drug abuser or child abuser, then give him his child!!

April 26, 2008, 12:38 pm CDT

What's best for the CHILD?

These tugs-of-war only hurt people, and can also damage the child at the center.

If he wants to raise a child, why doesn't he find a woman, settle down, get married, and have one together? This kind of custody battle can drag on for a long, long time, keeping everyone in limbo, including the baby. The baby needs to be the FIRST in consideration. If the family with whom the baby is placed is a good family, then that should be enough to make everyone happy.

Emotions affect babies. When everything is in chaos around the child's custody, if affects all the signals that child is getting from her would-be parents. This is not an It's-mine-and-I-have-a-right-to-have-you situation. This should be about what's the very best for the child.

April 26, 2008, 12:44 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

A Baby Doctor Is It My Phil Too. Well Well Well who baby is who in your family? Donot tell me that Jay/Jord-an were babys too. See you on Wednesday April 30th, 2008. Sincerley Yours. Russell Vlaanderen.----------

April 26, 2008, 12:50 pm CDT

04/30 "It's My Baby Too!"

Quote From: erinezzell

I don't know what the story behind the biological father is, but how dare you say that he doesnt have the right to be a parent to his daughter.   In a time when so many fathers don't live up to the responsibilities that they helped create, here is a father that is and the law says too bad. It makes no sense.  If you think that he shouldnt be able to raise his daughter because he isnt married then there should be a lot of children placed for adoption.  How many single mothers are there out there? lots.  So unless this guy is an alcoholic, drug abuser or child abuser, then give him his child!!

Amen to that.

It would be poetic justice if ( God forbid ) the child needed a blood transfusion or organ donation and the only compatible doner was the father. I would love to see how the athorities that kept the father from his child would approach him in that case.

If you're a father, you SHOULD have rights to your children and the children should have the right to be with their natural parents. As long as the parents have proven themselves worthy and have done nothing wrong, then to seperate the family is nothing but an injustice.

April 26, 2008, 1:09 pm CDT

This Is Absolutely Horrible!

I feel so much pain for this father who has just had his baby ripped from his life! Poor guy. The father should have just as much rights to his baby as the mother does. I don't understand how someone could have the nerve to spread her legs and get pregnant and then give the baby up without even talking to the father about it first. I mean if the mother didn't want a baby then she should have thought about that before having sex unprotected. Obviously the father wanted his baby girl and never ever got a chance at her. I feel very bad for the baby and the dad! As for the lady saying that a child needs a two parent home, I'm sorry but that is absolute bullshit!!! The only thing that is important is that the baby is healthy and happy! So what if the child only has a father or only has a mother. Do you think that if a parent dies that a child should be given up for adoption because it shouldn't be in a one parent home???

April 26, 2008, 1:55 pm CDT

adoption

hey this law is unjust because even fathers deserve the same right to parent even if the mother doesn't in my case the father of my daughter showed up to court with me and judge still told him he had no rights until his name was on the bith certificate i in my case i was forced into the adoption which i am now appeling due to fraud this was 14 years ago i've had a realationship with her for 11 till adoptive parents cut me out . open adoption is a lie and because its just like black market good like if this guy does his reserch he'll see in marrow i women did same thing to a guy in 1988 sinceely caroline from ohio don't let them steal your baby like couple did to me and her father

April 26, 2008, 1:57 pm CDT

your right

all beings and sex should have same amounts of rights

April 26, 2008, 3:51 pm CDT

04/30 "It's My Baby Too!"

Life seems topsy-turvy to me sometimes. There are men and women who don't want to have a thing to do with thier kids. Then we hear about this man who wants his child and he has no right to her. On another show this week we've got a woman with 7 refridgeraters full of rotting food. On the other hand we've got homeless families digging through the dumpsters. I guess that's just the way it is sometimes. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last