Message Boards

Topic : 06/30 Inappropriate In-laws

Number of Replies: 248
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:04:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/01/08) When couples tie the knot, they don't just marry each other; they get hitched to their spouse’s entire family. But what would you do if your in-laws were demanding, condescending and sometimes violent? Bambi hasn’t spoken to her daughter, Kendra, for two years, and she blames her son-in-law, Adam. Bambi says she and Adam got into a heated argument in which she not only slapped him, but also went looking for a gun to shoot him! Kendra says her mother was way out of line for physically assaulting Adam and doesn't know if she can change her controlling ways. Bambi says Kendra is dead to her — and even built a makeshift gravesite in her yard to symbolize her grief. The irascible in-law says she's desperate to reconcile with Kendra -- but not Adam. Will the couple accept her terms?  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2008, 1:46 pm CDT

05/01 Inappropriate In-laws

Quote From: sarasantiques

My mother used to be that way. Like her daughter, I had to put up boundaries with the help of my husband because it was hard for me to do alone.  My mother actually had me arrested, which is the only arrest on my record that really frustrated me.  When I was in a battered womens home, my mother took in my abusive husband who had raped me after we separated.   I couldnt believe the things my mother did for attention and then she just donated her kidney at the age of fifty to her cousin, who she says didn't thank her enough.  After, the surgery she thought she was dying, and I had to pay for the thousand dollar emergency trip that no one expected because we all went home after the surgery was a success.  She became a different person after the surgery.  Plus, after I paid her fines of 1500, to keep her from jail because she committed medicaid fraud which is on the internet when you type in Regina Waites.  She used me at the age of 15 and made me work her job as a private duty nurse, and I did it to get her to love me because she left me and my sister to live with my grandparents when we were little, but then kept her new kids.  I actually had to do CPR on this baby because it wasnt expected to live past one.  I did it though!  I was her main caretaker and I got Lauren through it!  After she was around two she was out of the woods, and then around three then my sister and stepfather watched Lauren for my mom.  Even though she is hateful I know she loves me and I love her, but its so hard to keep her from screwing up!  So we did heal partially.  I know Bambi needs that rude awakening that she wants to be remembered for being a great mother and grandmother.  Go Dr. Phil! 
 man i would have put up boundaries too i do not blame you there if Ur mom was anything like Bambi, i would not have stooped with boundaries tho i would have dug a damn moat around my house and filled it with crocodile's too with a 20ft wall and a nice draw bridge.

May 1, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

I know her pain

I feel so bad for the daughter.. My mother is exactly like that. I was so surprised to see that woman on stage. It was like looking staright at my mother.. I am now no longer speaking to her going on now for a year.. I am glad that she (the daughter) has more patience than I do. I applaud her for being the bigger person.. Bambi is just so selfish.. Its all about "HER" but some how that CRAZY woman raised a fine daughter...

May 1, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

Quote From: diamondhead

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I can not get overthis show!    Are you kidding me?? If I were her daughter and husband I would put the biggest pair of 'nike sneakers on and RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   This woman is the most unstable person I've ever come across. She's looking to control SOMETHING!! She lost control of her daughter is what the problem is. Her daughter finally smarted up and got out on her own and away from her GRIP!!!!  Now the mothers FURIOUS!!!!  This has more to do with CONTROL more then ANYTHING!!!  SHE PUT A MOCK GRAVE SITE IN HER BACK YARD FOR HER DAUGHTER AND GRANDDAUGHTER????????   This woman needs some SERIOUS HELP!!      This message is for her daughter and son-in-law.   PLEASE RUN!!!!  I would not get back into your mothers life until she got some help!!!!  You CAN'T trust her!!!  And expecially around the BABY!!!   You guys are doing the right thing by staying away. I'm not saying theres something mentally wrong with her just to be mean. I'M NOT REALLY!!!    I mean it when I say she is MENTALLY UNBALANCED!!!!!   Listen kids>>>> GOOD LUCK with your new lives together. It's a tough road sometimes, but if you love each other, you can get by ANYTHING!!!    Stay away from this lady until you know for sure that she has gotten some kind of help.

A message to the MOM!!!  PLEASE GET SOME HELP!!!!!!   Your losing your daughter!!! If you haven't already. IS IT WORTH IT!!! LET GO>>>>go find out why you have a problem with having to control everything. I've experienced this in my own life.  I've let people control me. Until I learned that I can't be controled unless I allow them to control me. It's hard to get away from that. BUT I DID!! Now NO ONE controls me anymore. Because I won't let them!!!  So good for you honey>>>>don't let your mom or anybody control you. This is HER problem!!!! NOT YOURS!!!  GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

PLEASE DOCTOR PHIL>>>>>>>>>>>  OFFER THIS WOMAN SOME HELP!!!!

lol yeah, i bet if they could get her in the armed services and send her over to Iraq she could show those terrorist what real terror  is all about, they would give up fast,cause they would not sleep just knowing she was out there waiting digging and making grave markers, I'm so blessed not to live in her neck of the woods lol, she scares me just knowing some one is really out there and thinks like she thinks. if i were Dr Phil all i would have offered her was a forced smile and a big THANK YOU FOR SHARING, and got her daughter and husband across country from her. some one acting as she was i don't think really wants help, she wants control and she looked pissed when she was not able to control Dr Phil.

May 1, 2008, 1:55 pm CDT

Discarding Husbands

This mother has discarded four husbands.  It is apparent that she expects her daughter to follow her example and can't stand it when she won't.   Of course, she also wants to own her and that is irrational.   If she had been able to manage her own life better, she might be able to turn loose now.

May 1, 2008, 1:58 pm CDT

some thoughts..

not to defend anyone but I'm sure it is hard to have your child grow up and leave.  I can see from both sides.  She obviously feels completely rejected.  I wonder how common it is when parents do not accept their child's spouse's ever and guns and gravemakers are not the weapons; but mean and hurtful statements are the guns and gravemarkers.

May 1, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

wow

I guess it's a good thing Dr. Phil is optomistic because I doubt anyone watching the show today was. I wonder if Bambi will go back and watch this and see how crazy she sounds. If I was her daughter I wouldn't want her in contact with my husband and daughter either, she's scary!

May 1, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

Lady is Nuts

I only saw 5 minutes of her and I instantly thought of Piper Laurie in "Carrie".  Continue the separation, girl!

May 1, 2008, 2:24 pm CDT

This women obviously does feel rejected but how must her daughter feel?? She buried her daughter's baby teeth for crying out loud.  She needs to get help and counseling because this has to do with her not her daughter. This is 100% an inner crisis within the mother and I feel very sorry for the daughter having to go through with this. Even if she didn't like her daughter 's husband it would seem to a rational person (who is mentaly capable of seeing this is is not normal behavior ) that she would get closer to her daughter not push away, which is exactly what she's doing.

May 1, 2008, 2:25 pm CDT

this mother is mentally imbalanced

We were only 10 minutes into the show before one could plainly see that this woman is mentally imbalanced... manic depressive perhaps?  It feels somewhat voyeuristic watching this episode when the woman obviously needs medication and/or serious psychiatric help.

Leanne

May 1, 2008, 2:26 pm CDT

regret!!!!

Bambi,

To simulate burying your daughter is a move that is shameful.  Life is so fragile.  You could lose her at any minute (for real).  My daughter died in an auto accident a week after her 30th birthday.  I'll never stop missing her.  I find your attitude incomprehensible.  You should be thanking god for the daughter you have and cherishing every minute with her.  You're SICK and need help.  By the way, your're version of the delivery room is rediculous.  I am an RN and have witnesses many births, I have also had several epidural injections for surgical purposes myself, they DO NOT STAB the patient in the back.  It sounds like you will use any stupid excuse you can dream up to attack your son in law.  The more you talk, the more rediculous you sound.

You are the poorest excuse for a mother that I have seen in a long time!!!!  I hope you never have to suffer the grief I have, and learn to love your daughter and respect her choices for HER life.  If I was your daughter, I would withhold the truth from you too.  I would not trust you to know the truth.

You have your daughter and a beautiful grandaughter and choose to reject them.  Get real before something really happens and you have to learn what real grief is about.  She is a person, not somthing you own.  Support her and be there for her.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last