Message Boards

Topic : 06/30 Inappropriate In-laws

Number of Replies: 248
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:04:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/01/08) When couples tie the knot, they don't just marry each other; they get hitched to their spouse’s entire family. But what would you do if your in-laws were demanding, condescending and sometimes violent? Bambi hasn’t spoken to her daughter, Kendra, for two years, and she blames her son-in-law, Adam. Bambi says she and Adam got into a heated argument in which she not only slapped him, but also went looking for a gun to shoot him! Kendra says her mother was way out of line for physically assaulting Adam and doesn't know if she can change her controlling ways. Bambi says Kendra is dead to her — and even built a makeshift gravesite in her yard to symbolize her grief. The irascible in-law says she's desperate to reconcile with Kendra -- but not Adam. Will the couple accept her terms?  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2008, 3:25 pm CDT

05/01 Inappropriate In-laws

Quote From: shernne

I only saw part of the show but was heartbroken and disgusted with the mother. I am the mother of a young mother trying to find her way in life.  We would often but heads and have very difficult times. We have both said and done things that we did not mean. It never seemed like the right time to apologize. After the argument is over why bring it up and who wants to apologize during a fight. But today I would give anything to be able to talk to her. You see I don't have mock grave stones in my yard I have a real one at the cemetary. Last June We lost our daughter in a car accident. Now all those arguments seem so silly. most of them were over selfishness and wanting to be right. None of that seems to matter anymore. Bambi, What I wouln't give to be where you are now.

I am so sorry for your loss!

Bambi better be careful what she wishes for!

May 1, 2008, 3:28 pm CDT

As soon as I saw the ......

Granddaughters "grave-marker" she so prominently placed by the driveway of her property, I realized that this woman is self-centered, selfish, controlling, etc. OOOOOORRRRR.....she's just been up in them mountains fer too long.

She considered her daughter "dead" to her in MAY '06. So, why would she acknowledge (by way of a GRAVE MARKER) the existence of said (dead) daughters child in AUGUST '06?!?.  Idjit.  

Kendra, your husband is NOT to blame for your decisions. The fact that she blames the POST CHILDBIRTH MIGRAINE headache on Kendra's husband is MORE than enough to wipe that particular slate 'clean'. Your husband is NOT the reason your Mama is beyond reason Kendra.

May 1, 2008, 3:32 pm CDT

okay people look at it like your the mom!

Quote From: kwilson55

Bambi,

To simulate burying your daughter is a move that is shameful. Life is so fragile. You could lose her at any minute (for real). My daughter died in an auto accident a week after her 30th birthday. I'll never stop missing her. I find your attitude incomprehensible. You should be thanking god for the daughter you have and cherishing every minute with her. You're SICK and need help. By the way, your're version of the delivery room is rediculous. I am an RN and have witnesses many births, I have also had several epidural injections for surgical purposes myself, they DO NOT STAB the patient in the back. It sounds like you will use any stupid excuse you can dream up to attack your son in law. The more you talk, the more rediculous you sound.

You are the poorest excuse for a mother that I have seen in a long time!!!! I hope you never have to suffer the grief I have, and learn to love your daughter and respect her choices for HER life. If I was your daughter, I would withhold the truth from you too. I would not trust you to know the truth.

You have your daughter and a beautiful grandaughter and choose to reject them. Get real before something really happens and you haveto learn what real grief is about. She is a person, not somthing you own. Support her and be there for her.

BAMBI , IF THAT DAUGHTER HURT HER OWN MOTHER THAT BADLY THEN FORGET HER. YOU WERE FINE BEFORE SHE WAS BORN AND YOU WILL BE FINE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT THINKS SHE CAN TREAT ME ANY OW WAY AND SHE NOW UNDERSTANDS THAT MAKING THAT DECISION WILL EFFECT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH ME FOR EVER AND EVER !! YOU CAN'T TAKE BACK HURTING THE WOMAN WHO RAISED AND PAID FOR YOU THAT WAY ,AND THERE BE NO CONSEQUENCES  FOR YOUR ACTIONS. YOUR GROWN ? ACT LIKE IT !!

May 1, 2008, 3:32 pm CDT

Why is it always the Mom/Parent's?

My 18 yr old has met a 25 year old that in Dec 07 she took off to Arkansas to live with his family because they could not get housing do to his background.  He has not held a 9-5 or taken care of her like he promised.  His family does not like her and her (mine) do not like him.  She ended up in Cal. homeless living on the streets calling grandmother's home crying then 15 min later calling back saying every thing is ok.  She has refused to call and check in with me because " I am 18 I will call you when I want to"  The last time she called she stated her boyfriend wanted her to go to the truck stop crying hystericlly.  I am on a plan to Cal. to find a her which the police would not help me because of her age.  We finally get her home and she states she cant break her boyfriends heart so she will choose him over me.  I am only a bank to her and her boyfriend.  I to have the same feelings as this mother.  Why can the parents be stomped on and treated less than dirt but we should forgive, forget and move on.  Oh, and my daughter had a full pell grant for college when she left for Arkansas.  She can do as she pleases but why should I have to see her destroy her life-shop lifting, ect.  Possably prostitution to support him, ect.  It kills me she is my only child..was my only child.

May 1, 2008, 3:35 pm CDT

Don't think so.

Quote From: lisette0922

I guess it's a good thing Dr. Phil is optomistic because I doubt anyone watching the show today was. I wonder if Bambi will go back and watch this and see how crazy she sounds. If I was her daughter I wouldn't want her in contact with my husband and daughter either, she's scary!

I doubt she would watch & see herself for how she really is. She is one of those people that think they are right, no matter what.

May 1, 2008, 3:51 pm CDT

Quote From: rinker250

Granddaughters "grave-marker" she so prominently placed by the driveway of her property, I realized that this woman is self-centered, selfish, controlling, etc. OOOOOORRRRR.....she's just been up in them mountains fer too long.

She considered her daughter "dead" to her in MAY '06. So, why would she acknowledge (by way of a GRAVE MARKER) the existence of said (dead) daughters child in AUGUST '06?!?.  Idjit.  

Kendra, your husband is NOT to blame for your decisions. The fact that she blames the POST CHILDBIRTH MIGRAINE headache on Kendra's husband is MORE than enough to wipe that particular slate 'clean'. Your husband is NOT the reason your Mama is beyond reason Kendra.

lol yeah shes acting worse than any big foot clan up there.

May 1, 2008, 3:51 pm CDT

CRAZY

omg Dr Phil just finished reading "the letter" I know we shouldn't judge people. But at the same time you should not ignore RED FLAGS, this women is scary. That letter proves it. There was nothing bad said in that letter. It was written by an obviously intelligent warm hearted young women that would love to have a relationship her Mom. Alot of daughters would not. But unless she gets the help she needs. Kendra do not even try. I hate to say it but murder does happen.

May 1, 2008, 3:57 pm CDT

kids are cruel !

YOU PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW IT FEELS FOR YOUR CHILD  TO TREAT YOU LIKE THE WORSE PERSON IN THE WORLD. IF I WERE, MY DAUGHTER WOULDN'T BE HERE AND I WOULD NOT HAVE GONE THREW THE HELL OF THE LAST 17 YEARS !! PARENTS  SACRIFICE ALOT TO RAISE KIDS TODAY AND THEY DON'T SHOW ANY APPRECIATION FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE OR GONE THREW !!  SO IF SHE'S PISSED LET HER BE . iT WILL BE ALL SHE GETS FOR ALL HER WORK AND TROUBLE. aND NOT ALL KIDS ACT LIKE YOURS!!!!!

May 1, 2008, 4:11 pm CDT

Hey Dr. Phil, I guess the only reason you didn't scream woman are you out of your ever loving mind is because you already knew the answer  Huh.  yep, thought so.

May 1, 2008, 4:12 pm CDT

LISTEN LADY

Quote From: kayrenee

You are so right. I want my children to live their own lives. I sure don't want to!! My life is enough for me to handle! I have raised them and now it is their turn to live their own lives,building their own families. I am happy to be a part of their lives,but not the master or center of their lives.(Now I can live my own life with my wonderful husband!)  It's a win-win situation.
TO HER THEY ALREADY ARE. AND WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE HER FOR HOW SHE HANDLES HER GRIEF ??? JUST BECAUSE YOU LEARNED A LESSON IN LIFE DON'T MEAN SHE NEEDS TO. YOU SHOULD HAVE LEARNED MORE THAN YOU DID BY THE LOSS YOU SUFFERED!

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last